Jobs

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Jobs

Postby Phaylix Whitevine on February 27th, 2015, 1:58 pm

Hello. I was just wondering if a PC could have more than one job at a time, like a main job and a part-time one. Most Storytellers don't seem too keen on the prospect of giving wage to an Assassin, and I kinda need it...

So... yeah. I need a little insight.
MADNESS Is Hereditary

COMMON | VANI | SYMENOS | Thoughts
Phaylix Whitevine
MADNESS Is Hereditary

Words: 32937
Joined roleplay: December 26th, 2014, 4:46 pm
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Jobs

Postby Gossamer on February 27th, 2015, 2:01 pm

Just one job at a time is allowed.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Jobs

Postby Khida on February 27th, 2015, 2:11 pm

Hi Phaylix,

As far as jobs go, 'assassin' as a profession requires a lot of skills in order to be pulled off successfully. If you have the skills and it makes IC sense for an assassin to be working in the domain, I expect any storyteller would be just as willing to pay wages for that job as any other. The major catches there are 'skills' and 'IC sense'.

Gillar has a post here where he talks about the capability a professional assassin should have. If you want to play an assassin, you'll probably need to start off as a mercenary or perhaps intelligencer and work your way up to having the skills. Unfortunately, my understanding is that there isn't much work for mercenaries in Syliras, because the knights already address tasks a mercenary might otherwise be employed for. But the authority on that would be the local STs.
Spring threads: 2/5 .. | .. Season Goals .. | .. GradersMaxed skill: Observation.
Khida
Player

Words: 574944
Joined roleplay: April 14th, 2012, 11:14 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Jobs

Postby Matthew on February 27th, 2015, 4:52 pm

Kidha's post pretty much sums it up. I am really just posting to kind of try and shove the point home, since it looks like you are very determined to play this Ezio rip-off.

I don't think the character would qualify as a true assassin, not yet. He simply isn't skilled enough to reliably assassinate anything. With his current skill levels, he really wouldn't be even considered a reliable mercenary. Khida's post links you to a great resource for eventually turning the character into an assassin.

Right now though, I would just make his main job something besides assassination. Like she said, Intelligence work, or Merc work. You may not want to hear that, but with where Phaylix is currently located and how skilled he currently is, it is really the only option. My character is a prostitute and he could more reliably kill someone than Phaylix currently could. I don't mean that as an insult or sarcasm, I am just trying to bring it into perspective. You really have to work up to that sort of profession. You are welcome to PM me if you need help figuring something out. When you were denied wages, did you try to work out a solution with the Storyteller?

Matthew
Malfunctioning

Words: 1100152
Joined roleplay: June 24th, 2013, 9:37 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Guest Storyteller (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1)

Jobs

Postby Phaylix Whitevine on February 27th, 2015, 5:43 pm

Thanks for the insight, everyone.

And I did attempt to work this out with Nightmare, but I never gotta reply. I'll take the Intelligence work into account.
MADNESS Is Hereditary

COMMON | VANI | SYMENOS | Thoughts
Phaylix Whitevine
MADNESS Is Hereditary

Words: 32937
Joined roleplay: December 26th, 2014, 4:46 pm
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets