Solo A Lawyer's Plight - Pt I

~ In Which A Lead Is Found ~

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

A Lawyer's Plight - Pt I

Postby Zandelia on March 22nd, 2015, 2:09 am

27th Spring, 515 AV – Zatoska Bath House

She had been working at the Bath House for a small time now, learning the basic arts that were required to fulfil her cover role and mapping out the first steps towards the subtler skills which would be her tools for extracting information. She had made some small progress so far but she was all too aware that there was a long way to go still. She was not begrudging of the time it took but she was becoming wearied with the fact that what she had illicited so far from various patrons were small time pieces of data – helpful but not of the calibre required to impress her new Supervisor. Indeed she had been left alone by Anelda outside of the professional context of the employer-employee relationship. She was not sure if that meant she was trusted or whether she was – so far – a poor investment.

It was in this context that she found herself at the greeting desk, the threshold of the Bath House itself, waiting patiently for a source of true value. As always her note book was before her, quill and ink pot to one side, ready for the notes to be input. She had written down everything she had reported upon for her own records, not merely as a way to organize and memorize what she had already gleaned but also towards her own ends. Not that she kept it in the open, the pages were torn out once copied and slipped into her lock box at her home. There to be used one day, for some other purpose. She knew all too well that sometimes small scraps of data could fit into a wider picture not yet foreseen. As such, as she flicked the pages idly, waiting for a customer, she noted that a full fifth had been emptied already.

“Jotting again Zandelia?” came the cheerful voice of Bethany beside her.

“So far I have had nothing come to mind, I suppose even writers have times where nothing can be thought upon” she responded warmly and with a smile.

“Shame. I'd like to read what you've finished one day. Think you'll be finished?”

“One day, I'm sure of it. One day I'll have enough to earn a pretty miza. So...where were we?” she asked as she pushed herself up and turned tot he girl.

“Tea, of course!”

“Of course, so many cups taken. If anything I have learnt how to brew tea on such a scale that I could drown a sailor. Let's see then” she ummed to herself as she set about the preparation of the umpteenth pot of dark brown enjoyment.

She had developed a curiously amenable relationship with her chief co-worker she reflected as she measured out the spoons of diced tea leaves, dried raspings that one would never have thought could be so delightful if implemented properly. Four heaped measurements were carefully poured into the clever contraption resting atop the pot – a sieve of sorts she knew. Very fine holes meant that the tea could infuse but would not taint the water they were boiled within. She closed it and bound it tightly with the cords as Bethany poured in the cups of water, equally well measured at Anelda's instructions. Dangling the entrapped tea into the water then they both lifted it onto the hearth, there to bubble away in good time.

“Do you think that everyone ends up where they're supposed to be one day?” the question came in a thoughtful tone, unexpected and it threw her slightly. She looked at the girl for a few moments, biting her lip in consideration before answering.

“I think you do what you can to get where you should be. Do I think it will just drop into your lap? No. Work is required. But...if it is worth it...well then the amount of work won't matter” she finished, a neat little description of her own feelings and current situation open for interpretation.

“I- Oh, oh dear. He must have had a bad case again”

“What? Who are you talking about?”

“Ulrich Grimsby!” came the hushed response as she nodded towards the hallway, “he's a lawyer. Works out of the Lord of Council's Office. He's very good, usually never loses”

“But he has recently?” she asked, getting the confirmation of a nod so that she didn't end up upsetting the man.

As he she stepped out, a neat little curtsy for politeness, and watched how he was almost stalking towards them. There was a dark glint in his eye and his jaw was set so hard she assumed he was hurting his teeth by now. She plastered a warm smile across her face as he came nearer and stopped short before her with a cloud around him so thick she thought about backing away momentarily before steeling herself. She was new at this game, it would be poor form to not try to meet the challenges she was supposed to overcome. She stepped forwards and slightly into his personal space, making herself as small and graceful as was possible.

“Mr. Grimsby, may I fetch you a cup of tea for your relaxation?”

“I do not recall seeing you before here Miss...”

“Sansom, Mr. Grimsby, Zandelia Sansom. Please, call me Zandelia. I am here for your service”

“How do you know me?” he asked curtly, eyes slipping past her and to her companion who was making herself busy and scarce by now.

“All know the skills of Mr. Grimsby sir”

“Indeed. Yes, I will take some tea if you will...Zandelia”

“Of course, and would sir like a public or private bath?”

“Private. Bath salts, the usual ones. The usual private bath too if you will. You can meet me there with the tea”

With that curt list of instructions he was stepping past her, all storm and wrath, towards the destination he clearly had in his mind's eye. She turned to Bethany who, after they noted he had fully taken his leave, heaved out a held breath slowly.
Zandelia
I Aim To Misbehave

Words: 1798131
Joined roleplay: September 23rd, 2011, 12:35 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

A Lawyer's Plight - Pt I

Postby Zandelia on March 22nd, 2015, 2:11 am

“Well...that went well. Was I that bad?” she asked wryly.

“Don't mind him Zandelia, you didn't do anything wrong. Just like instructed actually. He's just been having a bad season so far so I hear”

“He told you?” she asked as she set about fulfilling Ulrich's requests.

“No, not me. Other girls have said he's a bit...tense. Something about losing cases”

“He's a lawyer isn't he? Aren't they supposed to lose some every so often?”

“Not him. He usually wins. Always won until recently so they say”

“And who is 'they'?”

“Oh, everyone. You know. People”

She nodded then, she knew of the people. People talked, word spread and sooner or alter reputations were solidified or shattered. She pursed her lips in consideration at her new client, clearly he was having a rough time of it apparently but the fact it was only recently intrigued her. It spoke of either the incompetence of distraction – or in his case age perhaps – or something altogether different. There was a faint smile upon her lips as she filled a tea pot with enough for a few cups of warm brew and placed it upon a polished wooden tray with a cup and saucer. She liked a mystery, more so than many she wagered. This serendipitous meeting had a smell about it, a taste of something currently unknown. A skilled lawyer didn't just start losing, no one good at their job just started losing. There was always a reason and she now wished to ferret it out.

If it's just him then that could be useful, could pass that on for others to use to their advantage. I'm sure there would be others wishing to win a case. If it's not him then that is useful too. Need to earn my keep but nothing said I couldn't have fun doing it she told herself as she finished preparing the tray with the placement of a small iron spoon and a dish of honey – a small amount of course.

“So, we have the tea. Where is his usual private bath he spoke of? And the bath salts?”

“Here, I know what he means and I'll carry them. Show you the way.. Come”

“Watching over me are you?”

“As instructed until you have learnt all of what you need to know. What happens within the bath though, that is between the two of you. Someone has to woman the entrance after all. Come”

It was a short but warm walk, skirts swishing as she followed her temporary leader, for the first time actually considering what her approach should be and what she was wearing – the position she was in. It hadn't been at all like this in Sunberth, information had been easy to come by there with enough violence or sex. In Zeltiva it was conversation and subtle mechanisms that had to be used. She had purchased her new wardrobe, several simple shifts of soft cotton that clung in the right places but were serviceable enough for a long day's worth of work in a humid and closed atmosphere. She had even consented to styling her hair into a cascading bun formation that seemed to work well enough whilst giving her an aura of pleasant attraction. She had held of on the cosmetics for now, she hadn't had the courage to start violating her visage just yet with her poor abilities. Soft slippers padded upon stone as she balanced the tray and pulled her felt eye patch back into place. Blue, she was wearing blue today – and every day actually to match the waters. It was a calming colour apparently, or according to her sound advisor Bethany at any rate.

“Good afternoon Mr. Grimsby” she stated with a rich, warm dollop of encouraging joy to her tone, as they stepped through the opened door and were greeted with a quite naked old man besides the towel wrapped around his waist.

“Allow me to pour you your tea, freshly brewed and with honey to taste. Would you like honey?” she asked softly as Bethany smiled, gave her a look and left the salts behind before closing the door behind her gently.

“Please. Then you can take my belongings and store them before salting my bath Miss Sansom” the tone was clipped though slightly less angered now. Still it was imperious and instructive, expectant of obedience.

“At once, sir”

She bit back her tongue, a number of choice responses surging upwards to be squashed behind the turn of her head as she set about his requirements – she was there to serve after all. The fact that it was by her choice and food good cause would never stop the fact that she hated being tantamount to a slave, in her mind at least. It was the single hardest thing for her to overcome and she doubted it would be surmounted any time soon. Hands shook slightly with repressed anger as she poured out a cup of tea under his scrutiny, though still she kept the pretence and stuck to the lesson in pouring Anelda had gifted her. She dipped the spoon into the honey and mixed it in to the tinkling chime of metal upon ceramic before taking it over to Mr. Grimsby. He took it without thanks, which told her he was going to be a difficult task. As he sat upon a bench and sipped she was about to turn before he stopped her with a gesture of the cup.

“Your eye, Miss Sansom?”

“What about it sir?”

“Mr. Grimsby if you please. I'm tired of being 'sir'ed today. How did it happen?”

“An accident Mr. Grimsby”

“Accident?” he asked, now clearly enthused and interested, “where did it happen? How did it happen? Have you lodged for previous compensation?” she noted there was a glint in his eye then, a reflection of the pool perhaps but she fancied he saw a nice little bag of gold somewhere inside his mind.

“It was a long time ago, I doubt I would be able to....would I be able to?”

“Oh Miss Sansom, you have no idea. Law can go back quite a time indeed. An accident you said? At work? Surely not here?”

“Oh no,” she sat next to him then and tried to summon up the guise of a greedy but downtrodden worker, “not here. Madame Anelda has been very good to me. I don't really remember it all. It was quite traumatic”

“I have no doubt, no doubt. What do you remember?”

“Well...I used to work at the docks. They likely don't even remember me anymore it was so long since. I was...was unloading a cask. It had a nail in it and it was heavy. I pointed it out to the man in charge, he's gone now I think. Left for Riverfall of some such”

“A nail? And what did he say, be precise”

“He told me not to worry, it was nothing. I said it was dangerous, we should remove or bend it before unloading. He...he laughed. After that it gets hazy. I remember it slipping and, falling I think, and after I was in a bed and they told me tha-” she made her voice tremble slightly and she wrung her hands at the memory – it was not difficult to summon up those days after her half-vision was apparent to her, they were the worst days of her life in some ways.

“That you would never see with it again. Foolish man indeed. Careless, reckless and putting workers in danger. I think we could make a case of that”

“Oh, I don't know. I think Madame Anelda wouldn't like me bringing in my past here. I have my health and enough to get by. I-”

“Think on it then Miss Sansom. You can find me at the Lord of Council's Office if you change your mind. A shame, I could've won that easily. For a fee of course. Alas, my luck has run dry”

“Run dry Mr. Grimsby?”

“No matter,” he waved his hand and his mask was back, full composure and all, “store my belongings and return quickly. I am in need of some warm waters and soon”

She nodded and pushed herself up, patting down her clothing before approaching his upon the end of the bench.

So we have one weakness. Avarice. Or pride. Difficult to tell. Perhaps both? We'll need more but I've worked with less she told herself as she set about folding his clothing and gathering the pile in her arms.
Zandelia
I Aim To Misbehave

Words: 1798131
Joined roleplay: September 23rd, 2011, 12:35 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)