Solo the poet

Lending a hand -- or a word.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A vast city of soaring towers, spirals, and platforms, Abura is the home of the Akvatari. [Lore]

Moderator: Liminal

the poet

Postby Sasheizarre on March 17th, 2015, 1:13 am

4th of Spring, 515 AV

The sun bore down, warming the skin of the cold-blooded Dhani that lay on the sand. She was just feet from the docks, though the hustle and bustle of Zeltivan sailors loading and unloading cargo from the ships did not interrupt her quiet reverie. Izarre sat up, brushing the sand from her hair that flew haphazardly in the breeze, her toes touching the foamy tips of the water. The young Dhani stood up then, her dress straightened and shoes slipped onto small feet, and began walking up the sand towards the docks.

"You, blonde, with the legs and the waves crashing at her throat." The voice came out of almost nowhere, her eyes wandering around until they landed on a man, an Akvatari, with a tail the color of the sky at sunset and hair to match. He was sitting on the edge of one of the docks, tail draped along the side with a book in one hand and a quill, the tip black with ink, in the other.

"Yesss?" Her confusion was evident but slight, her voice barely audible over the sound of waves sloshing against the wooden poles that held up the parts of the dock projected into the water. The movement of her mouth, however, was enough assent that the man continued, even as the word was dragged out into a hiss.

"Come here." The Dhani meandered towards him, taking her time and already pushing his limits. This Akvatari was not as patient as she. "Not so slow, thank you." The Dhani picked up her pace, as if 'thank you' were the magic words, and slid down next to him, her legs dangling over the edge and sandals almost falling off of her feet into the water below. "Can you help me? I'm dying to find the last word for this poem."

"Yesss..." Perhaps the only reason that the Dhani even knew the Common word for poem was because she had lived for nearly a year with the Akvatari. She didn't quite know what a poem entailed, other than it was like both a story and a song, two things which she had been familiar with before she abandoned her den. "Read it to me."

The Akvatari cleared his throat, and began with much pride in his voice: "Cobalt, the sea,
it calls to me.
The rising tide
Cannot hide...
"

He stopped suddenly, looking at the Dhani with melodrama in his eyes.
"I can't find an ending." Izarre was not entirely familiar with the word 'cobalt', but as it followed in the poem it seemed to be describing a color or feature of the sea. Settling on color, she mouthed the words to the poem again. It seemed to have a pattern of sorts, rhyming at the ends of the first two lines together, while the next two lines rhymed with each other. A few chimes went by before she thought of something, the man staring at her as she thought with eyes like the sea. She tilted her head towards him, her hair out of place from the sea breeze.

"I sssee. What about...
Cobalt, the sssea,
it calls to me.
The risssing tide
cannot hide
the color of the free.
"
Last edited by Sasheizarre on March 17th, 2015, 2:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sasheizarre
rebel without a cause

Words: 16822
Joined roleplay: September 22nd, 2014, 11:09 pm
Race: Dhani
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

the poet

Postby Sasheizarre on March 17th, 2015, 2:21 am

The Akvatari closed his eyes, and Izarre took this time to admire his wings - a gradient of white to a dark, navy blue — as if someone painted them with watercolor and the excess paint dripped down, pooling at the bottom in an overabundance of one color. His eyes popped open, and he tilted his chin up, looking at her from his lounging position. He frowned.

"No." He let out a mirthless half-sigh, half-laugh, nearly condescending in tone. It was not the rejection that set off the Dhani, but this — it was as if the Akvatari was making fun of her for her lack of poetical skills, regardless of whether or not he meant it.

"You were the one to asssk for help, sssir, you do not laugh at my attempt, however ssstupid you think it isss." Her dark eyes sparked dangerously as she stood up. Preparing to walk far away from the spot she embarrassed herself in. The man flew up, hovering next to her with those beautiful wings of his, and grabbed her arm, his book and quill lying forgotten on the dock.

"No, it was lovely." She yanked her arm out of his grasp, turning and staring out into the sea. The sun was setting now, but she did not mind the darkness — it was almost comforting, like the darkness as you looked down into the bottomless sea. For now, however, the sky was painted in pinks and oranges, matching the man's tail and hair. "What's your name?"

"Izarre. Sssasheizarre." She glared at him over her shoulder, eyes like burning coals.

"Tell me something, Izarre." Sadness dripped from his eyes, though he had no visible reason to be sad. Perhaps he was overcome with emotion from the sunset, as the Akvatari always seemed to be overcome with emotion. The dewdrops on a spider's web could bring one to tears. The Dhani, however, was not very good at poetry, and she struggled to come up with one on the spot like that. Her questioning glance led him to further specify his request. "Tell me of your home."

Her hostility faded, but her eyes still sparked. Izarre thought of the ocean, of the fathomless depths of the sea. That was her home. She struggled to think of the word 'fathomless' in Common. She settled for words that meant the same thing instead.

"Deep. Dark. Cold. Blue. Quiet." Her dark brown eyes met his own blue ones. "The sea. It is my home."
Sasheizarre
rebel without a cause

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

the poet

Postby Sasheizarre on March 17th, 2015, 10:46 pm

The Akvatari hummed to himself, contemplating her answer. His visage was marred by the appearance of dissatisfaction, and he looked as if it didn't meet up to par with what he was expecting. This angered the Dhani more, and it threatened to spill out from between her seams, like an overstuffed toy. Her hostility was back in full strength, and she was reminded as to why she spent so much time at the docks rather than taking chair flights through the city. There were the melancholy Akvatari, and then there were the melancholy and pretentious Akvatari.

This man appeared to be the latter.

The Dhani let out a hiss, stalking away from the man as followed her, hovering just enough over the docks that his tail didn't scrape against the wood. At this height, he was taller than she was - an annoying fact that Izarre couldn't help but take to heart, despite the fact that it had nothing to do with her personally. She turned, her movement rapid, hair whipping and angry in such a motion, and stopped him in his tracks with such a glare that was in her eyes.

"You asssk me, you do not insssult me." Her voice was quiet in a dangerous, deadly calm. She had no right to be so angry at simple a gesture, but lately her emotions were rampant in such an emotional city. It was as if with her anger that her Laviku's mark seemed to crash and churn on her upper chest, visible by the cut of the dress. It was the movement of this gnosis that drew the man's eye, and in a sudden change of pace, switched the topic of discussion to it.

"Laviku's mark?" He peered into her eyes again, a curious expression forming on his face. "You're not Svefra; your eyes are brown."

"Do not compare me to Sssvefra!" Izarre exclaimed, and it was the hissing 'S' that the Akvatari did a slight shrug-sigh of a sort.

"You are Dhani. I don't often see Dhani in Abura; why are you here? And I didn't think that Dhani lived in the sea. Why...?" His voice trailed off.

"I do not need to explain myself to you. I am from the sea, I am in Abura. That is that." Her tone and the glint in her eyes were enough to shut up the Akvatari, if only for a moment.
Sasheizarre
rebel without a cause

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

the poet

Postby Sasheizarre on March 18th, 2015, 8:45 pm

He sighed, tilting his head and nodding, as if finding her answer satisfactory. It seemed this Akvatari enjoyed mysteries and puzzles, even if he was going to wallow in self-pity and melancholy more often than not. She backed away, but he followed again, and she realized they had made it off of the docks and partially down the beach. She could feel the sand under her toes, soft but cool in the dying light of Syna. She had almost completely set by now, and even then Leth threatened to show his face as a white spot in the blue sky.

The docks were quieting down, work finished and the majority of the sailors making their way to the Hospitality House. Izarre herself felt that it would be best to head home, but this Akvatari man was making it particularly difficult for her to leave. Pushing past him, she trecked along the sand until she was stopped, once again, by the Akvatari.

"Yesss?" She was less angry and more tired now.

"I'm Tofs." He flew off for a second after motioning for her to wait, picked up his discarded book, and wrote a sort of address/description of where he lived, tearing out the page and holding it out out to her. "Come by tomorrow. I'll tell you about poetry." Without her response he flew off, leaving Izarre to consider whether she actually wanted to talk to him again. He was obviously delusional if he thought she wanted to, but poetry was something interesting and new that she hadn't had a chance to explore in her traditional den. There was some of it in Charbosi, but she had no interest in it when she was a snakeling, and she rarely went back to the Charoda city after she left. Perhaps this would be her chance to learn something.

The Dhani shook her head of silly thoughts. Poetry wasn't very practical - but on the other hand, nothing in Abura was practical. The Akvatari were far from practical, their city was an architectural mess, and their family structures were so loose that it occasionally made her cringe from the lack of parental support.

Izarre decided that yes, she would find him tomorrow. She had nothing to lose.
Sasheizarre
rebel without a cause

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

the poet

Postby Liminal on March 23rd, 2015, 9:39 pm

REWARDS!

+1 Poetry
Lore: Knowing pretension when you see it
Lore: Tofs, an Akvatari poet

And I really like how you're writing this NPC ^_^
Liminal
Atelerix albiventris

Words: 256313
Joined roleplay: March 24th, 2009, 7:09 am
Blog: View Blog (3)
Race: Staff account
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)