Quest Remembrance of Things Past (Thrall)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A vast city of soaring towers, spirals, and platforms, Abura is the home of the Akvatari. [Lore]

Moderator: Liminal

Remembrance of Things Past (Thrall)

Postby Liminal on March 14th, 2015, 8:48 pm

2 Spring 515 AV

Night had fallen over the island of Akvatar. The skies were perfectly clear, and an army of stars threw spears of light to the ground. Lights were also visible in some of the towers and arches that made up most of the city of Abura. Through it all was a soft hum of activity, the vaguely-heard noise of wings fluttering and conversations taking place behind closed windows.

Down by the docks, in the small sliver of Abura that was navigable without flight, candles shone from the windows of Hospitality House. The day's work done, some of the Zeltivan dockworkers and office staff had gathered around the only bar in the city, which occupied most of the House's ground floor. They were joined by some of the few other non-Akvatari residents of the city -- two visiting scholars, a handful of art students, a Konti who was a musician-in-residence.

Most of what was available to drink was kelp beer, a vile-smelling concoction manufactured in Zeltiva, and shipped from there during the regular trade runs. Wine or liquor from other places could be had for a price -- but a price that would put quite a dent in most people's purses. There were no liquors manufactured in Abura, of course, which was the subject of a monologue being delivered by a fairly intoxicated sailor on a stool in the corner.

"If this were anywhere else, we'd 'ave better ale, 'at's fer sure. But 'ey dun know nothing about ale, or about food, or about the merest o' creature comforts. Nice people, 'andy with a song, but not with a frying pan."

A nearby dockworker nodded. "It's a strange town. I've been here four years now, and it's not a bad place at all -- safe, quiet, no humidity. But it's still as alien as it was when I got here. I guess maybe if I didn't know where I'd come from, I'd be sad too, but I'm not sure I'd be as put out by it as these folks."
Liminal
Atelerix albiventris

Words: 256313
Joined roleplay: March 24th, 2009, 7:09 am
Blog: View Blog (3)
Race: Staff account
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Thrall on March 17th, 2015, 1:48 am

The night was surely the most beautiful time of the day, and even as he was now Thrall could appreciate the soft glow of the moon as it looked out over its kingdom of darkness. That then, in and of itself, was such an odd and admittedly contradictory way of thinking, yet even son the Ethaefal could not say that it was not true. The king who reigned over the night sky was in and of himself a complete contradiction to his own kingdom, a light in the darkness that birthed more shadows than he cast away.

This is simply how the world is. Thrall thought to himself as he made his way up to the Hospitality House, Where one might wish for clear understanding and perfect sense, all anyone shall find is more and more reason to doubt that there is, in fact, any real reason beyond anything.

With a sigh and a shake of his horned head Thrall looked back over his shoulder at the start lit waters. His hair was the color of freshly fallen snow, and this now was brushed aside by a slightly shimmering hand as silver eyes flicked back and forth between the splashing waves on the rocks, "There is only one thing in this world that makes perfect sense to all... We shall all day some day." For a tick the man thought to simply sit out and enjoy the evening air, but the sweet allure of warm conversation from inside the walls of the Hospitality eventually tore Thrall's eyes from the distant waters and he continued on inside.

Pushing open the door, Thrall offered those inside a quick smile, ducking his seven foot frame beneath the frame and carefully closing it behind him. Despite most of his efforts Thrall had found that no matter the time of day he was not always the best at socialization. It wasn't that he felt awkward per say... but rather he often was at a loss of how to connect with many of the younger races, the less long lived people of this world. He did try of course, and once more tonight he would again.

Nodding to the men at the end of the bar Thrall sat himself on one of the empty stools, pulling two silver mizas from his waist ban and setting it on the bar as he sought the bar keep, "One kelp beer please, and would you know the price for a room?"

Shifting his pack on his back to a more comfortable position Thrall looked sideways toward the sound of the music then, enjoying its melody. That was, afteral, why he had come this island after all.
Thrall
Player

Words: 24241
Joined roleplay: April 21st, 2014, 2:06 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Liminal on March 23rd, 2015, 9:32 pm

The barkeeper was a human with shaggy, dirty blond hair. He looked to be in his mid-twenties. The majority of the small Zeltivan contingent in Abura was fairly young, just doing a stint or two temporarily before moving on to other things. There were a few lifers, but they were very much the exception.

He took the two silvers, and poured a glass for Thrall. The drink was an unappetizing green and smelled like something in between rancid seawater and a very dirty, very wet dog. The Zeltivans drank it like water, but the nicest thing anyone else had ever said about the stuff was that it was an acquired taste.

"One silver a night," he said in response to the Ethaefal's question. It was a cheap price, but the Zeltivans more or less ran Hospitality House purely as a service for one of their best trading partners.

Thrall had taken a seat not too far from the dockworker who had been speaking last upon the Ethaefal's entrance. The dockworker waited until Thrall had gotten his drink, and then gave him a friendly smile. "Haven't seen you before, friend. You planning on staying around long?"

Most visitors to Abura had some pressing reason to be there, and casual tourists were a rarity, so the man's curiosity was natural. Anyone not obviously either affiliated with the Sailors' Guild or an art student was worthy of note.

"I'm Richard, by the way." He offered a good-natured handshake.
Liminal
Atelerix albiventris

Postby Thrall on March 24th, 2015, 7:52 pm

Accepting the drink Thrall took a deep drink, the corners of his mouth twitching as the brew caught in his throat a tick before he was able to force it down with a sudden sigh and a cough. Smiling through the bitter taste Thrall nodded and raised his glass to the barkeep, "A good brew, thank you. Please if you would, one room for the next few days." He would pay the man for ten days if this was who he was to pay, if not he would offer a final smile and go back to enjoying the music.

To the dockworker who spoke Thrall raised his glass in greeting once more, turning so that he could lean on the counter and face the man at the same time, "It would be strange if you had, for tonight is my first night here and a beautiful night it is for an arrival."

Taking a quick drink of the bear, hiding the grimace and returning the friendly smile, Thrall extended his hand, the right hand which bore the black scythe that named him a follower of Dira, to accept and give a firm handshake, "Richard, a good name. I am Thrall, and for now I am not sure how long I will stay. It is rare that I know where or for how long I am to be in any place, but the stories of Abura were simply too fascinating to pass up."

Another swig of bear fell down his gullet, and after clearing his throat and ignoring the slight watering of his eyes the Ethaefal chuckled and set the mug down, "Though I hope I can become accustomed to the drink. It is a bit harsher than I am used to."

Scratching the back of his head between his horns Thrall gave the man a good look, "Do you travel this way often? It seems rather lively for an island with so few inhabitants."
Thrall
Player

Words: 24241
Joined roleplay: April 21st, 2014, 2:06 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Liminal on April 4th, 2015, 1:34 pm

The bartender took the money and handed Thrall a bronze key. "Room #5, up the stairs and to the right."

"Welcome to Abura then," Richard said. He noted the mark of Dira on Thrall's hand, but said nothing. It was certainly unusual for an Ethaefal to bear such a mark, but followers of Dira weren't uncommon in Abura. Plenty of Akvatari worshiped her, melancholy folk that they were.

"Me, I've been on the island for four years now," he said in response to Thrall's other question. "The Zeltivan Sailors' Guild has an office here, and there's two or three dozen of us stationed at it. In another year or two, they might assign me somewhere else -- maybe back home, maybe in one of the other offices. In the meantime, I'm here, loading and unloading cargo and keeping an eye on things at the warehouse. It's an odd place here, but a fine one, and at least they send us kelp beer as a comfort of home." He smiled wryly at this last remark.

"Do you have any special plans here?" Richard asked. "I might be able to point you in the direction of whatever you're looking for. And actually, I was about to go for a walk -- you're welcome to join me, if you're not too tired from your journey."
Liminal
Atelerix albiventris