Closed The Misty Mouth of Falyndar {Xen}

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The unassuming den of the Constrictor Dhani, it is truly a pit of snakes. Travelers should take care, because the Dhani are always hungry... [Lore]

The Misty Mouth of Falyndar {Xen}

Postby Ayszel on April 11th, 2015, 1:25 am

6th Spring, 514 AV

Each peak was a carnivorous tooth of Falyndar that opened around the small patches of sky that were visible. Only among the mountains did the Dhani ever see the sky, this was what was causing the silent thread of excitement that rippled through the group of hunters gathering at Sissicillys. Ayszel however, had other ambitions as she moved among the ranks. I am done with Raviel.
Done with being restricted to collecting and crushing herbs, I am going to prove that I am valuable. I am going to find her a herb or plant that can only be found in the Cloud Mountains, then she won’t be able to ignore me any longer.
Perhaps the idea was as petulant and childish as Rixal claimed, perhaps she really did just need to prove herself a patient and dedicated volunteer. But she didn’t believe that. I have waited long enough to be seen.

The large limestone cavern was filled with the large hunting parties Ollisscint and Amira were sending out. With Spring came larger parties than Ayszel had seen in any other season, and with them Ayszel wondered, would larger Myrian Fangs also be out there. The idea should have filled her with a tremor of terror a dull throb of foreboding, especially after what had happened to her mother and sister, but it didn’t. Instead it made a grin touch the corners of her lips. She was more powerful and in control than she had ever been as a youngling in the forest. She was almost a woman, and she would act like a Dhani woman, not a scared little child.

Hunters were moving about, full of words and their own thoughts and seeking out the long broad table at which the Mistresses sat. Most of the regular hunters and guards had already been assigned to groups, each given a long thin strip of coloured cotton cloth to help them find the rest of their group. Others however had gathered; novices, herbalists, healers and were signing in at the moment. Ayszel joined the brief line, meeting Ollisscints gaze when she reached the front.

The Dhani was uniquely pale with gentle curls of strawberry blond hair twirling in small swoops about her ears and eyes. Her hazel eyes were framed in thick outlines of Kohl. She had seen the Dhani before, on numerous occasions, and even as a youngling had found the woman delightfully mosquitoish and cute. Her hair was shorter than any other Dhani female Ayszel had met and her thick constrictor body was made softer by the large breasts swinging naturally from beneath her collarbones. Her face was thin and pert making Ayszels weak attempts at calm professionalism all the more insufficient, instead she smiled broadly, her excitement shining through every pore.

“Role?”

“U-uhm What?”

“Your role in a hunting party?” She added without looking up from the chalk board before her.

“I-I” Ayszel didn’t know how to answer, what did she possibly have to give a hunting party, she just needed their safety to get the ingredients, ”Do you always have to take. Why don’t you give something back for a change?!”

The sharp words that had followed her most recent fight with Rixal, her childhood friend, hung in her head. She shook them away with ease. Rixal had meant to hurt with those words, to pierce the thick armour Ayszel erected between herself and the world she wasn’t self conscious of her selfishness. It is necessary to be selfish, to take what I need to make myself great. Greatness doesn’t just come. She rationalized.

“I…am from…the Hundredth Hole, to collect supplies.” She spoke slowly, perhaps a little too perkily, when the idea occurred to her. It is fine to be manipulative…but not to lie to my sister Dhani women she asserted the rationalization having worked its way so far into her subconscious she felt no remorse. “…from the Cloud Jungles.” She added quickly.

Finally Ollisscint looked up for a moment, silence following her proclamation. Ayszel crossed her fingers beneath the table edge. “Ssskay…Shere…” She extended her arm with a thin blue band between her fingers. Ayszel retrieved it and scuttled away as quickly as possible her face flushed slightly as she tied the band in a woven braid around the leather band that crossed her chest, holding the sleeve upon her left arm.

The blue was pale, almost white and was easy to differentiate from the dark blue and grey bands of the other groups. Thus, she easily found the group of ten Dhani with matching bands. They weren’t kidding when they said large hunting groups… She thought as she gazed around the group. Her eyes moved clockwise around the circle briefly, but were too consumed with her own ambition to pay much attention to the figures she would be spending the next several days with.

Several of the hunters carried long spears and or bows while the guards carried a variety of swords. Metal was difficult to get a hold of in the underground nest and had to be traded for so they didn’t have the luxury of all having the same weapon and most were used when bought. Each individual wore almost nothing, as was typical in the moist warmth of the jungle beyond what was needed to tie the weapons to their body and a variety of jewelry. Ayszels backpack shifted uncomfortably on her back, much smaller than the others with a single-person tent tied to the top.

The majority of the hunters in their group were females while the four guards were all male. A brief glance over the ranks immediately carved out the Rattlers and Vipers from the others. The first to speak was a female constrictor. Her hair was tied into a loose low braid and died a brilliant vibrant blue. Her wet blue eyes were framed with thick Kohl making the lowered slant of the outside edges more distinct and despite her strong voice gave her a sad young appearance. She was large, even for a constrictor, her black and yellow scales as large as a human hand.

“We will be marching out towards the Cloud Jungles, it will be a 2 day slither. We will not come back until we have something worth bringing back. My name is Schissklyszoesum, you may call me Zoe. In an emergency.” she stated, clearly expecting the level of deference and power using her entire name granted her. “Sxeffersix, Cixsifill, Mryxiphylis, and Svensyl” She introduced each with a gesture in their vicinity and each gave a characteristic wave of their hands, “will be our guards.”.

She continued to introduce each individual and as she did Ayszel felt distinctly out of her place. She had no weapons let alone any training with them and each individual evidently knew of each other if not knew each other intimately. She paused when her hand reached Ayszel who nodded deeply in deference to the elder Dhani, “Osscilyashlayszel “ She spoke clearly and as loudly as Schissklyszoesum trying to carve out her place among the group with pure force and confidence.

Ayszel slithered through the loud rumble of the chirping jungle. So full of life it throbbed like life within a warm womb making Ayszel smile. Today, today she was going further from Zinrah than she had ever been before. Chimpanzees swung overhead their raucous calls threatening the Dhani below, however Zoe’s pace didn’t falter as she led the group. Several individuals had drifted together and were talking quietly in relaxed tones as they spread out over the jungle floor until she only caught a glimpse of them between the ferns.

She lingered at the back, as she had since she was a youngling. It had shocked Rixal when she had first hiked with Ayszel in the jungle with Raviel and the other volunteers. She had expected the aggressive and confident Constrictor to burst her way to the front at every opportunity. When questioned Ayszel had quietly explained that her she wanted to be powerful, to be of use to the nest, and she could be of most use in a group to trail behind and watch what others did and missed. I am not a leader yet…. Her words were honest, without omission. She was always honest with Rixal.

Caught up in her own thoughts she hadn’t noticed the two figures that had also slid naturally toward the back until the moment one brushed her shoulder. Perhaps it is because they aren’t constrictors… She noted their relative diminutiveness first. The one to her right was one of the Rattler hunters, a woman with pale blonde hair laying loose and wild about her shoulders and framing her small young face. She was far younger than Ayszel, likely a barely grown out of the youngling restrictions herself. Her spear hung horizontally from her right hand while a dagger jangled against her left thigh.

The man to her left…

OOCI left it open if you want to the person to her left, if not then I will fill that in on my next post.  Also, below I listed what was in her backpack would be great if you list what you are bringing in your first post as well. Can’t wait!

Posessions-1 Backpack which contains:
-1 Waterskin
-Balanced Rations (1 Week’s Worth)
-1 eating knife
-Flint & Steel
Spade
Thin Leather Gloves
Leather Cloak with Hood
Jar 4 ounce (x2)
Jar 6 ounce (x2)
Basket Large, Common (x2)
Bedroll
Tent (1 Person)

Last edited by Ayszel on April 18th, 2015, 5:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Thoughts
Snake-Tongue
Common
Ayszel
Taint is in the air

Words: 154389
Joined roleplay: August 24th, 2014, 4:36 am
Race: Dhani
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Xen on April 13th, 2015, 7:29 am

The Misty Mouth of Falyndar
I do not like this,” Xen thought as he slithers behind the hunting party. He was not too fond of such a large group venturing into the jungle like this, for wretched and observant myrians; massive jungle beasts, and monstrous abominations within Falyndar's depths, that were always watching, would certainly take notice to this groups advancement through the jungle, given enough time. But, this disapproval stems from Xen's reclusive nature. He was too accustomed to hunting alone and in silence: where he had the element of surprise.

All this grouping went against what he was use to.

Yet, he was not above adapting to it all.

Xen realized that the situation would teach him cooperation and various other techniques and skills needed to survivor in the jungle. The chance that he'd be able to mimic different combat styles and stances was also very high, which is one of the many reasons why he joined in on the hunting party. Although, his purpose here was to better himself and make use of his kin, Xen could not help but feel regret over his past intentions. In the beginning, he was not going to share what he killed or captured with the others, before it was all about his well-being. It was only after he was immersed in the presences of the various groups surrounding him and felt their excitement and their willingness to give their all for Zinrah that his selfishness faded into nothing.

Xen wished to give something back to the nest for a change, or at least assist the constrictors in accomplishing their endeavors. However, now he needed to make use of his strengths, which was speed, endurance, venom, and magic; something he did not want to reveal to others.

Can't really rely on my swordsmanship, ” Xen thought while acknowledging his ineptitude with his current weapons “ But yielding now will only halt my improvement,” Xen continued, understanding that backing down now would only stop positive progression with his weapons. He needed to hone his warriors spirit. Xen turns his attention the side and makes eye contact with a constrictor beside him. He looks downwards, letting his eyes follow the length of her body, and then makes eye contact with this stranger, again. “ ..... ” Xen did not think of anything this time, he simply bows his head slightly to Ayszel and then slithers his dhani form forward.

Thanks to the nature of his job at The Red Room and his experience with the constrictors, he was able to tell that the constrictor beside him was female by her curves. Xen did not want to give off the impression of being lecherous or perverted, so he does not stare at others he encounters for the first time too much. If someone asked him, ¨How was he able to tell genders with only a quick glance?¨ Xen would definitely say ¨By their aura; females have a unique aura,¨ it was better than saying ¨by the curves¨ that would have been very unprofessional and LEwD!

Now back to the seriousness!

When Xen was asked his role, he answered with ¨Novice survivor,¨. Those that were listening laughed and few even said a few provoking remarks. Yet, the more experienced and hardened individuals raised their eyebrows, whether this was interest, or some other emotion, Xen did not know. Ollisscint gave him a pale blue band afterwards, without saying a word. The female had a serious and stoic atmosphere surrounding her. He probably would not have received the band, if he had not replied seriously.

Nonetheless, he was thankful.

OOCGot it!

Posessions Inside Backpack :
(1) Waterskin
Swimming Goggles
Flint & Steel
(1) Dagger, Assassin
Map, Region (Falyndar)

At Hand:
Katana + Machete Sword
Mancatcher Shield
Last edited by Xen on April 27th, 2015, 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xen

Xen
Stygian Serpentis

Words: 390077
Joined roleplay: July 28th, 2012, 12:02 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Ayszel on April 22nd, 2015, 4:14 pm

OOCThanks for your patience :) I kept it largely the same actually, I just added a couple things. I think her forcefully proclaiming her independence in a place she has no business really being only to have it slap her in the face is very apt but I think it's written better this time. :) Can't wait for your reply!

The man to her right was a massive, thin lipped, tightened pontytail wearing hulk of a constrictor. So intimidating was his visage that even Ayszel could hardly bring herself to dare a glance before looking away. His presence, even empty handed, is intimidating to scare away small Myrian hunting party… Ayszel realized as their large group made a relatively large ruckus through the thick underbrush. Though their long scaled tails made much less noise than the trampling of feet their broad thick shoulders snapped twice as many twigs and brushed twice as many bowers as their thinner human forms would.

The large group seemed to have broken up into smaller groups, hardly within eyesight of each other, to make their passage through the wilderness less overt. They were moving east, toward the Kandukta Basin which connected to a broad river that would guide their path north. She must not be comfortable in her navigation skills… Ayszel pondered, as the path they were taking was simple but infinitely longer. This can’t only take us two days… Her confidence in their leader waning with each passing thought. They obviously trust her… She reasoned. She never considered whether she had the right to pass judgment on the woman, considering her own inexperience, but instead watched the swaying blue hair with slitted wary eyes.

The canopy above them was writhing with bird and insect song, the sounds indistinguishable to Ayszels ears. The girl beside her however was gazing up at their bowers with widening eyes, evident enjoyment. Ayszel watched her pale cheeks warm with delight and tilted her head curiously. What is it about the songs that she likes? Can she recognize them?

“Can you tell what’s making the songs?” She finally enquired, breaking the self-imposed silence of the threesome.

“Y-yes,” she replied jumping at the interruption, “You hear that? The deep thrumming sound?”

Ayszel closed her eyes, as she would when searching for her res and concentrated on the many sounds buzzing in her ear. My breath is too loud…I can’t hear anything with the constant whishing… Calming her breathing was difficult, the more she focused on it, the louder it became and the less she heard the noises. Eventually she began searching for the pool of res, the most typical action she did when meditating the external environment away. As she did she found herself in her silent realm of concentration. From here it was much easier to only allow the sweet high pitched sounds of their surroundings to enter her quiet interior. A loud high pitched jubilant call was the easiest to distinguish, the next the deep thrumming sound the younger pale haired girl had been trying to draw her attention to.

“Y-yes, I think so. It’s like a griiiiuuu….griiiiuuuu?” She echoed. The man to her left blushed on her behalf at the silly imitation but Ayszel didn’t find it embarrassing and watched the round face with interest.

“Mhm…that’s a bullfrog.”

“Oh! I know that sound!” Now that it was pointed out she recognized the familiar round opulence, “I have a bullfrog.” She explained briefly, more interested in knowing than sharing.

“Why do you have a bullfrog?”

“What’s the loud high pitched call, the loud one?”

“That’s a flying squirrel.” She explained briefly, evidently put off by Ayszels brevity.

“Shush you two,” The man whispered sharply, “We are nearing the Basin. Myrians may be nearby and it wouldn’t do to have your chatting draw them in. Chatting is for The Distillery, leave it there, or the mountains.” His eyes held the elder scolding twinkle Ayszel was used to seeing throughout her childhood in the eyes of her brother and mother. Both girls fell silent, though one more resentfully than the other.

Though the depths of the city were as moist as the jungle she wasn’t used to the cold trickles that rained down on them from the canopy and the increasingly soft ground as they drew closer to the basin. She swallowed anxiously, broadening the curves of her tails progression. Pressing more firmly against the rough trees and moving her immense weight over a larger patch of ground. However, the broader strokes were cacophonous compared to the comparatively silent maneuvering the Dhani naturally achieved, like their snake brethren. The more powerful strokes moved the wet leaves beneath her back and forth against each other making the man to her left scowling at her.

She ignored the scowl by pretending she had never seen it and moved away from the two about her. The mud made her anxious, reminding her of the unfortunate events that had led to the constant torment she now suffered in the Hundredth Hole and in her left shoulder. Self-consciously, aware of the water that soaked her hair and made the careful lines of make-up she applied every morning run, she moved through the underbrush away from the others.

However, the forced independence was a miscalculation as they had finally reached the bank of the heaving edges of the Kandukta Basin. Beneath its waters lurked stinging fish and thirsty leeches. She had heard terrible stories of the Basin all of which culminated in the moment of surprise in to an embarrassingly shrill scream as she sank into a deep mud hole. What has me?! Memories of the stories washed over her mind in a fit full stream.

“Petch! Shut up!” The thin-lipped Viper that she had been walking with had ushered himself through the jungle when he had heard her scream. “There may be Myrians around, you petching child!” He hissed angrily as the group of Dhani slowly gathered about her. Some were looking about themselves anxiously, exposed as they were on the edge of the basin, the rest showed expressions of amusement or hostility.

The water in the mud seeped against her skin, so cold she was shivering within a few moments. It was terrifying, being trapped in her own element when she couldn’t control it. Earth she could slide her res around, life and contort. But the water tainted it, making it thick and heavy, unwieldy. It sucked at her scales as she wiggled, pulling her deeper into its empty stomach. More terrifying than the immobilization or remarkable cold was the horror of the memories it evoked.

The long sandy stone of her left arm, hidden beneath the sleeve strapped across her chest, was the remnants of the sweet whispers that had drawn more res from her than her soul could tolerate. That had caused the eruption of the white stone teeth that erupted from her left shoulder-blade making it almost immobile some mornings.

“Ssstop laughing and g-get me outta here!” She demanded, struggling not to allow her voice to waver in her fear. Their swaying blue weave haired woman immediately began giving a series of quiet orders to those around her.

However, Ayszel couldn’t hear them for her eyes were stuck on the riveting purple eyes of vaguely familiar face.

“Petch…” She whispered.

Thoughts
Snake-Tongue
Common
Ayszel
Taint is in the air

Words: 154389
Joined roleplay: August 24th, 2014, 4:36 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Xen on April 27th, 2015, 4:45 pm

The Misty Mouth of Falyndar
The muddy earth and the vines of the trees, all around, were good company. Their presences all too familiar to Xen: who felt his ties with the natural world was growing stronger than his ties with his kindred. At times, the natural world was more loving and endearing than the whole of Zinrah, granting him freedom from the rules of the nest. While Zinrah provided him with the security of home, giving him peace when the natural world grew too dark. The two places were what his current world consisted of, and though he complained. Xen found himself returning to not just one of the places, but both of them in the end.

Xen said nothing as he slithered, but upon noticing the large group he was in dividing, his mind became a little at ease. Should make our group less noticeable now, Xen thought as his eyes notice a group to his left disappearing into the dense jungle thicket. He quietly wishes them, and the rest of his comrades a safe journey. Xen then brings his attention to the chattering young, female constrictors near him, who were talking as though no abominations, or myrians were currently existing in Falyndar. He gave them a rather dubious look, while at the same time, wondering if these two would be his partners during the hunting quest.

The two had the presence of individuals that were 'somewhat' new too the jungle. Of those that were familiar with the jungle, but not entirely aware of what lingered within it, within the regions boundaries. It would be best to watch these two, Xen thought as he faced forward and continued through the undergrowth.
Don't want to end up carrying two injured constrictors back to the nest, He continued.Before he could tell the two talkers to be quiet, Xen found himself watching, and listening to a large male constrictor scolding the two into silence.

It was to be expected.

Xen switches his attention to his right, where he saw nothing, but heard his kindred: their voices were like whispers amongst the vocal birds, frogs, and insects of Falyndar. However, Xen does not place too much attention on the group, he had his group to worry about, and his own well-being to safeguard. So, he continues forward. Xen pushes through the dense jungle brush, and into the slick mud that, by the chimes, grew thicker and more unobliging. But, he powers through it. So, accustomed to the aspects of the jungle, Xen was unphased by even the large tarantulas that crawled passed him, and by the light water that graced his scales at the moment.

We got a straggler, It was then Xen notices a female constrictor wandering away from the group. Misfortune always followed the wanderer, and when he hears her scream, he slithers over, but first passing the vipers, and constrictors, who laughed and groaned at her misfortune, before reaching her. “ Don't move too much; earth holds onto things that struggle, stubbornly ” Xen extends a hand to Ayszel. He spoke in snake-tongue, common in dhani form did not feel right to him.
Xen

Xen
Stygian Serpentis

Words: 390077
Joined roleplay: July 28th, 2012, 12:02 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)