How do you go about the use of Existing NPCs?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Postby Zephari on May 19th, 2015, 11:54 pm

I am looking to getting a thread going on seeking a weapon instructor for my character, but have so found nobody with a PC capable of doing it, so I am turning to using a PC. My question is, how does one go about using an NPC in a thread. I should note that I am completely new to forum based roleplay so I am totally in the dark about this.

Mainly who/how is the righting for the NPC done? Is it a case of I do the writing for both myself and the NPC, or does a storyteller do the writing for the NPC? I just want to know as I have found an NPC in riverfall that would work as an instructor, possibly in a solo thread, but I want to know for sure.

Zephari
The Collector

Words: 107646
Joined roleplay: February 22nd, 2015, 7:27 pm
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Tanna on May 20th, 2015, 12:21 am

Hey Zephari!

To the best of my knowledge, I believe this all depends on the type of NPC you are wishing to use. If it is a city NPC then I suggest touching base with the DM to see if the NPC needs moderation or not. Usually, this will be mentioned in the blurb that accompanies the NPC since I wager you found the character in the city codex but, if not, it never hurts to reach out to the DM to check. Make sure to express what you have planned for the thread since this could be a deciding factor. Either approval will be given or you may need to find someone to mod the thread for you and play the NPC.

If you are given permission to self-mod (ie play the character yourself) then all you need to do is control the NPC as if it is another secondary character in your thread while remaining true to what the NPC is meant to be like. If you are still unsure of what this is like, I can try and help you find other threads that can serve as good examples.

Conversely, if you'd prefer to thread it out with someone then maybe post what sort of training you are looking for in the OOC thread or even in the character matchmaker? I saw that you were unable to find anyone but this could, perhaps, bring someone to you that you hadn't noticed before? Totally up to you.

I hope I make sense! All the best.
Tanna
words & whims

Words: 114416
Joined roleplay: March 11th, 2015, 12:25 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Zephari on May 20th, 2015, 1:09 am

Thanks Tanna, as always you are very helpful. Is there an easy way to see who the DMs are for each city/area?
Zephari
The Collector

Words: 107646
Joined roleplay: February 22nd, 2015, 7:27 pm
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Tanna on May 20th, 2015, 1:34 am

If you hop on the Mizahar forum, the DMs and such are usually listed after the city blurb. You are playing in Riverfall, correct? If so, then you'd need to contact Gossamer :)
Tanna
words & whims

Words: 114416
Joined roleplay: March 11th, 2015, 12:25 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes