Manning Money Lending

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This subforum is for small businesses that do not require extensive subforums for organization. These Small Business Sheets are simply posted records of what a business is for, its expenses, its debt and the profit it makes.

Manning Money Lending

Postby Chandler Manning on June 1st, 2015, 10:33 pm

Manning Money Lending
Business Type: Goods and Services
Concept The concept of Chandler's business is pretty straightforward: be a lending bank, charge money for it. Unfortunately, I can't find anything in the existing lore that might give me some insight into what proper rates for these services might be. As Syliras is a bustling city with a port (and the many new posts in this thread speak to the up-cropping of new businesses everywhere), there are almost certainly businesses needing money upfront to keep stock, afford new property, and so-on. Additionally, the number of travelers moving through could potentially require their currency exchanged to or from foreign coin. Chandler uses his family's fortune to supply the demand and make a profit in the process. He caters mainly to merchants and ship captains who have a fairly steady, visible stream of income to protect his investments. He has been known to hire lugs to do his collecting when niceties aren't effective and the pay date has passed.

There is no official store front. Chandler meets with his clients in their own places of work. Alternatively, he might meet them in the tavern and spring for a bottle of wine. He keeps his ledgers, contracts, and calendar at his residence. All business is obtained by Chandler himself approaching new business owners or by word of mouth from prior clients.

Interest is collected weekly. The sum is to be paid back in full by the agreed-upon date, which Chandler would put into a contract to be signed by the client. In the event interest cannot be paid, the amount becomes due in full and continues to accrue interest until the entire debt is paid, up to and including seizure of assets.

Services Offered:
Business Loans.
Interest rates are totally made up, but I reason as follows:
4%/week for established business
5%/week for start-up businesses

Money Changing and Exchange
7% service charge

Base Income:
Money Lender 4GM/Day (base shopkeeper rate)
Novice Negotiator (20)
Novice Bookkeeper (15)
Lore: Money Lending Practices

I figure before I raise Chandler's skills in his negotiation and bookkeeping to a competent level, I would keep his income to a minimum to reflect his minimal client base. He will broaden his horizons, go for larger loans, etc, when he's more experienced.

Debt: In debt to his father, the patriarch and keeper of the Manning family assets. Starting loan: 4000GM. Books, quill, ink, parchment: 7GM. Total debt: 4007GM
Chandler Manning
Player

Words: 17396
Joined roleplay: May 31st, 2015, 11:25 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet