Closed Welcome to the Flight (Turrin)

Joining Turrin's flight and meeting flight leader Naime

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The westernmost tip of Kalea, Wind Reach is home to an amazing group of people and their giant eagle mounts. [Lore]

Welcome to the Flight (Turrin)

Postby Phlox on June 2nd, 2015, 3:37 am

19th of Summer, 515

After many, many years of being an Endal, several mishaps with Flight Leaders and working in various flight distinctions, she was being assigned to a flight. She had been up all night, excited about the news she had received yesterday. The overseers of her case had finally found someone interested in taking the pair into a flight. Even with all her problems with authority, clutsy misgivings, and overall seemingly awful performance in the air. Granted, it was still better than some and she had a lot to give when dealing with hunting, festivities, and ingenuity. She had been tinkering with some ideas for new saddles. Ithuriel and her would make a great team if she were allowed to move from time to time without having to scare her eagle.

Having not slept most of the night, Phlox had a lot of energy it seemed when she bolted out of her aerie early that afternoon to head towards the Top Notch Archery Field. She was supposed to meet a few others from her flight this afternoon in a meet and greet with a little trial of skills. She had zero clue as to who they might be, or which distinction she was a part of now, but no matter. Phlox was all about surprises.

The halls blurred past her as she ran about. Her long bow was slung across her back, accentuating the black bryda and vinati she always wore. The fire colored locks waved behind her and the copper arrows clincked lightly against one another on her belly button ring. Finally, she made it to the Top Notch, a few chimes early then when they were supposed to meet.

With all the turmoil the ground shakes had brought, the archery range was full. Endals were busy keeping their skills up between the required shifts of rock moving and maintenance on the tunnels. Taking a breath, she collected herself and walked in with her head held high and shoulder pushed back. No one really watched her, and she didn’t particularly care. Silently she walked through the room, looking around. Of course veteran Endals, much older than she, took the moving targets and left no room for younger warriors. That was fine. Instead she settled for a stationary bullseye in a relatively empty grouping. Only one other man was working, and he seemed to be slowing down with his practice.

Setting her arrows down, as she had not yet gotten a quiver to hold them, she lined herself up with the bullseye. After removing her long bow, she gave it a look over. Dry firing was not permitted, but she did lightly test the string to ensure that it was in good condition. The wood bent with no creaks, inviting her to practice. Phlox then checked her arrows. The fletching was in excellent condition, the shafts beautifully straight, and the tips sharp to the touch. She was careful not to push too hard, as it would have pricked the skin and drawn blood.

Notching the arrow came easy to her, and she laid it across her finger. It was pointed at the ground at first as she flexed the muscles in her arm. It was all about muscle memory, be able to pull an arrow quick, notch it, pull the string taunt, aim, and release for hopefully a perfect kill.

Her mind focused and she looked at the bullseye. The center was the perfect kill. Anything else was not acceptable in her eyes. It was not a kill, but an injury. She pulled the bow up, brought the string to her ear where the fletching lightly graced her cheek. Phlox’s gaze went past the fletching, down the shaft, where the arrow came to a point. Beyond it, the heart of the bullseye. Once she set her focus on it, it was only an extra breath before she loosed the arrow. The string twanged and the arrow thumped into the bullseye, about a hand away from the center. She rolled her head back, aggravated and defeated. It was going to be a long afternoon if this was how she was starting.

Speaking
Thinking
Ithuriel
Phlox
You know nothing...

Words: 17461
Joined roleplay: May 19th, 2015, 10:36 pm
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet

Postby Turrin on June 3rd, 2015, 4:29 am

“I want you to be nice when we meet her, Turrin. I know how cranky you can get with people sometimes.”

Walking behind Naime, Turrin rolled his eyes at her cranky comment. In truth, he was generally a easy going guy, but the Inarta have a tendency to get on his bad side more often than not. However, it was funny seeing his flight leader was fussing over him like a mama bird. Naime said to him without turning around, “Also try to smile, Turrin. It will make you more approachable, and less...”

Turrin stifled a laughs at the expense of his flight leader because she seemed to think that he had no social skills what-so-ever. In fact, he tended to be the most approachable of the pair if Naime was in one of her moods. The half-breed shook his head and said in a matter of fact tone, “Scary...emotionless savage.”

Naime let out a deep breath and whirled around on his heels to face him and asked that sounded almost like a demand, “Are you mocking me, Turrin?”

Turrin quickly responded with a smirk, “I wouldn't dare, Commander.”

Naime glared up at him and said with a nod, “Good. Otherwise you will be shoveling shyke out of Valcora aeries for a week.”

When the feisty Inarta woman turned around and continued walking do the warren to the Top Notch, Turrin asked, “So who is the new endal? Do you think she will make it with the War Hawks?”

Naime turned a corner and was quiet for a little bit, but after a chime or two, she said simply, “Her name is Phlox Ithural. As long as she does her job and doesn't get the rest of the Wing killed with her stupidity than I guess we can call her a War Hawk. If she can't hack it with the War Hawks than I will ship her to the White Owls or Wild Harriers. Regardless of the outcome, I want you to be on her like fly on shyke if she slacks off, Turrin! I want this girl combat ready by the Fall...”

Turrin knew that Naime was being a hardarse because she needed to show the new girl who was in charge of the Wing. The half-breed was suppose to there to pick up the pieces when Naime finally breaks her. The myrian experience the same treatment when he joined the Wing, and she tried her hardest to break him. Eventually, they got into a fist fight and became friend ever since the bout in the Fighting Pit. The half-breed didn't mind because he knew from stories of the warriors in his clan that the time in the army in Taloba was much worse than the fearsome red head could dish out.

When Turrin and Naime made it to the Top Notch, the archery range was crowd with endal trying to improve their skill. The half-breed did his best not to look at the elder endals because their skills with a bow was second to none. However, he found himself often looked over and watching some of the amazing things the older people can do with there bows. When Naime stopped at a firing stall, Turrin waited for her to introduce herself, but she decided to say nothing and observe the woman inside. As Turrin watched the woman shot, he noticed that she seemed comfortable in her movements, so he figured that he wouldn't need to train her in the aspects of archery. When she let loose the bowstring, Turrin watched as it soar straight; however, the arrow started to move slightly in mid flight and plunged about a hand away from the target. Turrin wondered by her body movement that the female archery wasn't happy with her shot. In the field, the shot would have hit a target near the intended target.

Crossing his arms, Turrin decided to stay silent when Naime greeted the woman, “You must be Phlox Ithural. My name is Naime Valcora of the War Hawks, and I am the flight leader of the wing, so you are mine to do with you what I want...”

Turrin watched as Naime pointed her thumb back at Turrin and said, “Turrin Aponivi is another member of my wing. He doesn't talk much accept for the occasional witty comment, but he can handle a talon sword pretty well and is a adequate with his bow; however, he can understand Nari decently, but he terrible at speaking it, so that is the reason, I am using common tongue now."

Turrin raised an eyebrow at Naime's comment about his use of Nari. Deciding to play along with Naime's story, Turrin just gave Phlox a nod and kept quiet as Naime did all the talking for now, “You understand that the War Hawks are basically the military arm of the Endal forces, so we are sent out deal with threats within the Unforgiving or inside the city itself. We provide security the Inarta, so the rest of the Inarta can do what they can to provide for the city. However, you still have to hunt like every other endal because hunting is still the main part of the job.” Suddenly, Turrin wasn't expecting this kind of question, “Are you willing to lay down your life for the safety of the city, Phlox Ithural?”
Last edited by Turrin on August 14th, 2015, 4:28 am, edited 4 times in total.
Myrian, Common, Nari , Aponivi, Turrin

Thank you Nyxie Nadira Draer for the posting template.
Turrin
No Chains will Hold Me

Words: 581340
Joined roleplay: September 3rd, 2013, 1:13 am
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Phlox on June 3rd, 2015, 5:03 pm

Phlox nearly jumped straight out of her skin when she was addressed. Like the clutz she was, she dropped her bow, which clattered to the ground. Scrambling, she picked it up and turned to the woman that was addressing her. Clearly, it was her new commander, but it was odd she was speaking on common at this very moment. An Inarta, having the need to not speak Nari? What kind of flight had she gotten herself into? The answer was clear when she managed to collect herself and actually look at the scene before. It was not just Commander Naime standing there, but a man that was clearly not a true Inartan. Naime continued to speak in a very hasty common tongue that Phlox had difficulty keeping up. Thankfully, she understood the language, but that was about where the line in her knowledge was drawn. Phlox, if asked to write it or speak it, would just have given a sharp ‘Nope’ in Nari and walked away.

Focusing on Turrin as Naime explained her reasoning of her chosen tongue. Phlox gave him a once over before trying to focus on his face. Golden eyes seemed to stare back at her, giving the notion he had some heritage of Inarta in him. He couldn’t be full, his skin was too dark and sweet looking. It was definitely different from her pale color. His hair was burgundy, also hinting at Inarta heritage. She had seen a few of the orphans running around with lighter and darker hair colors than she. Red was cooler anyways. Finally, Naime took a breath and the snarky side of Phlox started to bubble up. Before she could contain it, the clipped Nari language began pouring from her mouth.

”First, it is I-thur-i-el. Not Ithural. You can pay some respect to my Wind Eagle by prouncing her name correctly. Second, I belong to no one. Although I respect your authority, that does not make me a possession. Third, I cannot speak common. I speak Nari, so I apologize to Turrin if he cannot understand me, but hopefully my point comes across clear as day to him too.” Phlox paused, the heat bubble in her chest dying down a bit at that outburst. Rolling her shoulders back, she looked between the two endals, also becoming aware that her archery partner had decided to vacate upon that outburst.

It was Naime’s question that brought her back around. It had almost been completely forgotten, but that kind of question did deserve an answer. The War Hawks. That was a distinction she had not expected her superiors to put her into. That, or maybe they were hoping she would die in battle so they could be rid of her. That made far more sense. Ithuriel would be pleased. Protecting the city, flying out to battle the Zith. This was real work.

”I would lay my life down happily for Wind Reach. For the Inarta. You will never have to worry about my commitment to this city and her people. Ithuriel and I live to serve.”

Even if her hothead responses made it sometimes difficult to believe, this city was her home and she would do everything she could to protect it. That was the solemn truth.

TurrinSorry to play on your spelling mistake. I thought it was fun though. :P

Speaking
Thinking
Ithuriel
Phlox
You know nothing...

Character sheet

Postby Turrin on June 16th, 2015, 9:40 pm

Turrin tried his best not to laugh when the feisty Inarta woman shot right back when Naime was displaying her dominance over the other endal. It reminded him of two rival female wind eagles challenging eat other over the remaining sky goat. Turrin knew bravery and idiocy went hand and hand when talking about the Inarta, but he knew that Phlox was just displaying that she wasn't a pushover to her commander. It might not be the smartest move to mouth off to your commander, but she might have earned Naime's respect too; however, he knew from experience that she will make her pay for her behavior in the future. When she acknowledged Turrin in Nari, Turrin replied in broken Nari, “I understand mother's tongue. I don't speak mother tongue well. Thank you for understand.”

Naime crossed her arms and said with a snort, “Forgive me for my slip of the tongue with her name, but your wind eagle? You should know by now that endal are disposable. If anything a happened to you, there are twenty red-headed girls just like you to take your place...” Turrin stood their in silence as Naime explained Phlox's role in the flight, “Possession is a strong word, but you need to understand that you will follow my orders when I give you them. It could mean life or death for you or the rest of your wing. As long as you do your job and don't be a burden to the rest of the flight, you won't have a problem with me.” Turrin understood that he needed to lay down the law with the newcomer. His wing leader witness many of the new recruits to the War Hawks die in the first year because they were to head strong for their own good. The worst enemy for a warrior was pride because they tended not to see dangers around them or their own weaknesses. Naime said to Phlox, “If you are not trained with a melee weapon, I want you to start your training with one. A bow is a handy weapon at long range unless you are a expert with it; however, there will be times that you might need to fight in close quarters. It would be wise to to round out your training, so you can adapt to any situation.” Naime turned around and said to Turrin, “I have a meeting with my superiors soon, so why don't you get to know Phlox. You can take this opportunity to evaluate her skills with a bow too.”

Turrin wondered if Naime was giving him a suggestion or a order. Sometimes it was hard to tell with the woman. Looking at his commander, Turrin said with nod in Nari, “Yes Commander.” When Naime gave Phlox a nod and turned to leave, Turrin took out his short bow from around his shoulder and looked at the new member of his flight and said with a nod, “To bad, your earlier partner fled. Naime has that way with people. My full name is Turrin Aponivi of the Twisted Vine clan. It good to met you Phlox Ithuriel.” Looking for nearest Dek, Turrin spotted one walking by and waved the young man over to him and said in Nari, “Could you get us each bundle of arrows?” The Dek gave him a quick nod and ran to retrieve more arrows for the two of them. Turrin looked at Phlox and said with a nod, “It is refresh to see someone else stand up to commander. She will never show it, but she respects your strength. You will need it if you going to survive being a War Hawk...”
Myrian, Common, Nari , Aponivi, Turrin

Thank you Nyxie Nadira Draer for the posting template.
Turrin
No Chains will Hold Me

Words: 581340
Joined roleplay: September 3rd, 2013, 1:13 am
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Phlox on July 23rd, 2015, 1:54 am

His Nari was not the worst she had heard before, but it could definitely use some refining for sure. Before she could even address Turrin again, Naime was running off again with a decent reprimand. Phlox did not shirk away like a child, instead remaining firm in her stance and holding eye contact until Naime was done. Clearly she wanted to say something, but decided that it was better to hold her tongue until her new commander had left. Ithuriel was not really a possession, and clearly that was not the best term to use, but she was family. Family was worth speaking highly of and protecting their honor. Mispronouncing Ithuriel’s name was not only a slight to the eagle, but to her.

Once Naime had left, Turrin seemed to take a little more command. Even if they were of the same rank, he had been with the flight longer. That essentially made him a superior to her in Phlox’s mind. Gently she rolled her shoulders, forcing herself to relax a little. She clung tightly to her bow, trying to channel the frustration with Naime to a single spot instead of having it sit in her chest.

”Naime may be able to chase off the entire population of Wind Reach, if given the chance. It is a pleasure, I’m sure, Turrin Aponivi.” The Dek had taken the order well, scurrying away. ”As for my strength, I doubt she will respect my strength when she sees it. We’ll keep this between us, but I’m kind of a screw up when it comes to finesse.”

The Dek came back shoulder, a bundle of arrows clutched in both hands. He set them in two different lanes, one bundle for each Endal before taking a few steps back. Close at hand to retrieve arrows and run away on other errands for them. Phlox lined herself back up in her lane, picking one of the arrows up by the end and knocking it deftly. She drew the string to her ear, lining the shaft up along her cheek. The fletching was soft as it touched her skin momentarily before she tilted away again and released it. It landed in the target, further from the center than the original arrow. Practice was not going to make perfect at the rate she was going, but it would help make her better. One day, she would master this weapon and be a deadly woman on the back of an eagle. Phlox estured towards the empty lane next to her. ”Feel free to show me what you got Turrin Aponivi of the Twisted Vine. Let’s see your skills with the bow. Then maybe, you can show me something with a blade. In the meantime, tell me your time with the War Hawks.”

Now that was going to be good, especially she had no idea how to use a knife except in a wild, haphazard, and all around dangerous sort of way.

Speaking
Thinking
Ithuriel
Phlox
You know nothing...

Character sheet