[Vizayas] A Guide to the Loss of Self

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The player scrapbooks forum is literally a place for writers to warm-up, brainstorm, keep little scraps of notes, or just post things to encourage themselves and each other. Each player can feel free to create their own thread - one per account - and use them accordingly.

Postby Vizayas on June 15th, 2015, 8:50 pm

Hello, and welcome to my scrapbook. Here, I'll list all my creative musings and ramblings, as well as put together any guides I might come up with over the years. This is a public area, so feel free to comment or ask questions about the material I put up or Vizayas himself.

I have somewhat of a countenance for technical thinking in my addled mind. I can piece things together mechanically much better than I can creatively, so Mizahar has always been tough in the story department for me. However, I'm always interested in playing around with the system like a box of toys, and that's who I am.

I've written some guides. I'm still working on the rest, but I've got one so far.

Learning From a Book: Zero to Competent in Two Skills in 15,000 Words or Less
Secret :
Write a book about a subject, in paragraph-long passages. You can go on the lore, the website WIkihow, or google the subject, then write what you want the author of your mini-book to say by telling that subject in your own inner voice and your own terminology.

You'll want 1 Passage per point of Exp, so 26-27 passages detailing some aspect of the subject. Then, you'll have musings and thoughts about the content of the book, followed by a couple paragraphs of practice before the next post.

Three posts of 500-600 words each, three passages. 3+ Exp/thread for 9 threads, 1600 words each thread brings you to 27-45 XP. Spice it up. Add a skill or two in there. A paragraph is usually enough for 1 point, and extra points for your +5 XP/Thread are rare unless you're writing very well.

Books aren't available everywhere, and for every subject. However, contrary to the lore this DOES work for physical skills so long as you have your character physically practice what they've learned. You're less likely to get your 5 points that way, but you can easily read a book about acrobatic swordsmanship and try and practice some of the things the author talks about. So long as you practice, you get a point.

The beauty of this system is you can take it one post at a time, and that you made something that you can work from and react to rather than trying to come up with things as you go. This method works for any mental or physical skill. It even works for magic if you're in a place with quality magical texts such as Sahova (Provided you can read Nader Canoch).

Leaderology Pt 3
In the above thread, Vizayas learns from a book and listens to a seminar on teaching in the Syliran archives at the same time. He merely earns his point each post, and moves on. As you can see, there are different methods you can use to change the pace. You don't even need the book, you can have an instructor rambling on about things as you practice.
Last edited by Vizayas on June 15th, 2015, 9:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImageImage
Vizayas
Squire Mage

Words: 113870
Joined roleplay: January 23rd, 2014, 9:42 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Vizayas on June 15th, 2015, 8:51 pm

Reserved