Solo Right on Point

Weapon training of an odd type

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Right on Point

Postby Zephari on May 29th, 2015, 6:36 pm

74th of Spring,

So it turns out the Coalinga Mines are not only dangerous because its a mine. The previous day, one of the "cerulean" workers in the mine went crazy, grabbed a club and went on a rampage. Luckily Zephari had been working in one of the lower levels of the mine, but she had helped with the recovery. Four Akalaks were injured, and one human was killed. The Akalak cerulean who had gone crazy was also dead, a rock spiked through his head by one of the reimancers who worked in the mine. Everyone in the mine that day dropped whatever they were working on to help clean up the mess.

It was horrible, their were blood stains all over the floor, bits of blue skin were hanging on some sharp edges on the wall. Zephari's job was finding blood stains and breaking away the rocks that were stained.

Afterwards everyone was sent home, and the mine was closed for the night. Everyone was told not to return for a few days so that the officials could do an investigation. Zephari spent that night drinking at the Blue Bull, as did many others, thought it was not a happy night like it usually was. Everyone at the bar that night was almost entirely silent, including Havar, who was usually very jolly and constantly laughing. The group of miners had one drink each before heading home, rather than the usual three or four.

So today Zephari was still off work, and she was badly stressed out. The other human miner who had been killed was only killed because he was unable to defend himself. The Akalaks had the advantage of pure size and strength, but Zephari only had her skills to work with, and when it came to combat, her skills were worse than sub par. She had used her pick ax as a heavy pick for defense a few times in the past, but it was only ever in small skirmishes with a robber or some one trying to harass her, never some one trying to outright kill her.

So today she set out into the forest around Riverfall to get some more practice, and to figure out if she needed to learn an actual weapon. In her mind a pick ax would make a fine weapon with some practice. The heavy head and somewhat sharp point was able to break rocks, so in theory it could do severe damage to a person. She had seen people in the past using a more weaponised version of a pick, but those were entirely metal, handle and head. Maybe they had a leather handle for comfort but they were almost entirely metal, where as her mining pick had a larger heftier head, and a light wooden handle.

She headed to a secluded area on the city side of the river, not wanting to bother getting on the ferry to cross the river. She walked up along a fairly well worn game path heading into the forest. She wasn't paying any attention to her surroundings, so she just kinda wandered. Eventually she came to a clearing that was made by a ring of trees and a large boulder on one side. It seamed like as good a place as any so Zephari stopped there for a quick rest, sitting on a smaller rock next to the boulder.

She pulled her pick out from her belt loop it was kept in and examined it. It was perfectly designed for mining, the handle having a slight curve to assist with sliding your hand down the handle as you swing downward. Ninety percent of the weight was in the head, which helped immensely with driving the pick through the cracks in rocks, but Zephari quickly realized that it would work against her swinging it at a moving object.

Wanting to test the theory, she stood up and walked to the center of the clearing. She had never done this type of practice before, so she just winged it for the first strike. She drew the pick ax over her shoulder like she would if she was mining, her left hand at the bottom of the handle, with her right hand near the head. She brought it down hard at a right to left diagonal strike, sliding her right hand down along the handle to increase the speed of the strike, just like you would if you were hitting a rock.

But she wasn't hitting a rock, she was swinging at thin air

This is the color of speech.
This is the color of thought.
Last edited by Zephari on August 25th, 2015, 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zephari
The Collector

Words: 107646
Joined roleplay: February 22nd, 2015, 7:27 pm
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Right on Point

Postby Zephari on June 21st, 2015, 7:26 am

Her strike swung over and around, swinging down past her left leg in a smooth well rounded arc. The strike would have done a good amount of damage if it had hit anything. Zephari then tried to stop the pickax to draw it into another strike, but was met with massive resistance. The momentum of the heavy headed pick was so great that as she tried to slow it down, it actually pulled her off balance, causing her to twirl in a ballerina like spin.

Out of panic and surprise, she let go of the pick, sending it flying into the dirt behind her, flying almost fifteen feet before impacting into the ground, partially burying it's self. This did not let her stop spinning however, as not only was she spinning, she had been pulled forward and off balance. She landed hard on her backside and right hand, absorbing most of the impact with her hand.

"Oww...." she moaned, lying flat on the grassy ground. She rubbed her now tingling had with the other, and let the pain in her rump recede. That couldn't have gone much worse... I had no idea it was so hard to stop a full swing like that. Too be honest I probably can't swing that hard and stop it if I miss. She grunted and hefted herself back onto her feet. She noticed that she had turned exactly around, and was facing the exact opposite direction of when she had started the swing. She didn't know what this meant, but she took not of it.

Zephari walked over to her pick ax and pulled it out of the ground. "Well that could have certainly gone better, but it also could have gone a lot worse" she figured, thinking that she could have indeed really injured herself. Looking back to the spot where she was standing, her jaw dropped slightly at how far the pick had flew.

"It certainly had a lot of power, just no control!" she exclaimed, trotting back over to the same spot. I wonder if my stance has anything to do with how that went. She re-positioned herself, readying herself for another attempt. This time she kept her body centered instead of very forward. When mining she would put all of her body weight into each hit, as to drive it as hard as she could, but that obviously did not apply to swinging a pick as a weapon.

Centering her weight over her heels, she drew the pick into another strike, this time to the side over her shoulder, and kept thee hand farther up the handle. As she swung downward and sideways, she again slid her hand down along the handle, but only half as far. The pick took a shorter arc, ending around the benshira's hip. This time she only had to bend over a few inches to stop the swing, and draw the pick back up.

"Alright, full swing seems to be overkill and will only hurt me, but half power seems about right." she said, not caring that she was entirely alone in the forest. She drew herself into another strike, repeating the same right to left downward strike several more times, each time she had to lean over less and, and less to recover from each strike. She eventually got into a rhythm that allowed her to strike once every three ticks. She eventually was comfortable enough to do a left to right strike.

Now that was weird. Because Zephari was right handed, she had to slightly cross her arms in order to get the angle right. Now she was really wishing she could remember more of what she had done in the past to defend herself, as doing a left to right strike was awkward as heck, and had very little force to it at first. After swinging it left to right several times, actually getting worse each time, she decided to alternate directions.

This made everything far easier, as it allowed her to strike right out of her redraw, because after redrawing from a right to left strike, he hands were automatically facing downward and to the right, as was the head of her pick. It also worked vise versa, allowing her to smoothly chain strike after strike.

It formed and almost whirlwind like strike that never really ended, each one flowing into the next. Zephari thought that this was great, as it allowed her to keep the momentum of each strike going somewhat, rather than having to stop it entirely, which took a rather large amount of effort. In her head this was great progress, and she decided to try this out on an actual target.

But what should she use? Her first thoughts was to use the large rock, but she quickly realized that was dumb, as it was not event remotely the right shape, and was far harder than any living thing she would be defending herself from, at least she hoped.

So she took to searching around the clearing for something to use as a target dummy. Her attention first turned to some bushes of some type on the outskirts of the clearing, but upon closer inspection she found the bushes to be covered in tiny thorns, so these would make rather "spikey" targets. Not ideal. She moved on, eventually settling on a medium sized red oak tree as her target. The bottom half of the tree was about the width of a large man, or a small Akalak, and had two semi large limbs poking out to each side, which worked as good analogs for arms.

"I guess this is as good as anything. I hope this tree doesn't beat me in a duel..." she said softly, only half joking.

This is the color of speech.
This is the color of thought.
Zephari
The Collector

Words: 107646
Joined roleplay: February 22nd, 2015, 7:27 pm
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)