Solo [The Sanctuary] Making Friends with Your Four Legged Partner

Job Thread.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

[The Sanctuary] Making Friends with Your Four Legged Partner

Postby Lian Windrunner on November 20th, 2015, 3:18 pm

45th Day of Fall, 515 AV
Afternoon
Sanctuary

Lian started to get work curry combing the horses, but a sharp snort from Talise stopped him. Startled, Lian looked around to see what had caught her attention. One of the children from the riding lesson he'd just given had lingered behind the others. She was a tiny little thing, and he remembered her as being one of the more timid students.

"Can I help you with something?" Lian asked the child politely.

The young child started, clearly not expecting him to notice her.

"I...um...that is..." she stammered nervously.

Lian waited patiently. She reminded him of a timid horse somehow. And like with a shy horse, it would do more harm than good to rush the young girl.

"Well, I...it's just that...are we really going to ride the horses tomorrow?" she asked in a small, subdued voice.

Lian nodded.

"Does that bother you?" he asked gently.

The little girl's bright blue eyes widened anxiously, and she nodded.

"They're just so big...what if I fall off? What if the horse gets mad at me for riding it?"

Lian didn't laugh. Nor did he betray his amusement in any way. The young girl's fears were obviously very real to her, and they deserved to be taken seriously. There was no reason to dismiss her concerns just because she was a child. Even if her fears were silly ones.

"That's one of the reasons that I had you start making friends with the horses today. If they trust you, they won't mind if you ride them. Better yet, if a horse likes you, he or she will want to spend time with you. Riding is something that both you and your horse can enjoy together."

"Even if I don't know how, and I make lots of mistakes?"

Lian nodded.

"Yes. Even then."

Lian eyed the young girl thoughtfully for a few ticks.

"I have an idea. Why don't you help me with these horses now? I'll show you what to do, and it will give you a chance to make friends with them while no one else is watching. If there's time afterwards, I'll let you ride with me so you can get a feel of what it's like to sit on a moving horse. What do you say?"

Lian hoped that she would be open to the idea. She was such a timid child. If he did nothing to ease her fears, Lian was certain that she would not return for more lessons. And that would be a shame. Not only because of the lack of income for the Sanctuary, but because Lian genuinely hated to see anyone fear horses. Horses and striders were among the best friends a person could have. They were loyal partners, and companions. While there were some that were unmanageable, and dangerous, most did not deserve to be feared like this.

The young girl smiled shyly. Then she nodded.

"Thank you. I'd like that." she said softly.

Lian Windrunner
Player

Words: 434725
Joined roleplay: October 9th, 2013, 12:58 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets