Solo Discovery Of Wind

Namorin discovers his new powers

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Discovery Of Wind

Postby Namorin Xalvratos on January 13th, 2016, 3:14 am

12th of Winter 515

The sun wasn’t up yet as Namorin his way through the streets of Riverfall. He was bundled against the cold. They city was cold but for some reasons it seemed less cold this morning. No warm by any means just less cold, and something about that was setting Namorin on edged. Charlain was vaguely aware of Namorin’s nerves but was only half awake. Charlain wasn’t a morning person.

The tall Akalak walked purposefully towards the southern edge of the city were Zulrav’s tower stood. He regularly visited the tower to Zulran’s usually in the morning hours before he worked out and went into the jewelry shop for the day’s work. The trip was relatively calm as Namorin walked, but something was still nagging in the back of his head. What was so different about this morning. He had awaken naturally and refreshed from his sleep. His one room house in the Kuahala Estates wasn’t any luxurious, but it was his home and he was comfortable sleeping there.

’There isn’t any wind this morning. Charlain mumbled drowsily having noticed that their hearing was being assaulted by the constant buzz of the wind talking to them. Namorin stopped in the middle of the road and paid attention. Charlain was correct there wasn’t even a breeze, which was fairly strange for Riverfall with it sitting next to the sea. The golden eyes looked around wondering what was going on. Usually there was at least a gentle breeze, but not today.

His golden eyes still narrowed Namorin resumed his walk, actually at this point he turned it into a jog. He was feeling the need to get to the tower. He debated about going into the tower or going on top of the tower, and decided that he want to be closer to the wind this morning. He could feel the blood flowing through his body quicker as he jogged down the street. He kept his breathing constant as he ran his gaze fixed on the road ahead of him so that he didn’t find any surprises in the road as he ran. At that moment he dodged around slightly raised cobble to avoid being tripped.

Soon he could see the tower rising about Riverfall but that didn’t slow down his pace as he continued towards the tower. There were two ways into the tower. One was the exterior stair case for anyone to use that led to the top of the tower and allowed those who weren’t Stormwardens to wander up to the top. The second entrance was secret and only for the Sotrmwardens themselves. Namorin could use either of these but choose on this day to take the public stairs. As he approached the stairs he didn’t slow his job, but in true Akalak fashion ran up the stairs towards the tops.

His body had been doing okay with the jog, even with the cold morning air, but his muscle began to protest a bit as he jogged up the stairs. His lungs were also beging to question his decision, but Namorin knew that he would be fine especially since he would stop and rest at the top for a while as he prayed and meditated. Charlain was awake now, it was impossible for him to stay asleep as the blood began to flow. He approved the jogging though. Rarely did the two different on efforts to improve their body and health. It was what to do with the rest of their time that they fought over what to do.

Namorin briefly wondered how many steps there were in up to the tower, and got a response from Charlain as to the actual total. He wasn’t surprised to know that find out that Charlain actually knew the quantity of steps. Namorin didn’t really respond as his focus was on safely putting on foot in front of the other. Falling off the steps at this point would be very dangerous is not possible deadly. The steps were well traveled though so he safely traveled up to the top of the steps. Once he was up there he walked around the edge as he brought his breath under control. He breathed in and out trying to restore his breath to normal. It was while he was up there that he felt the first breeze he had felt all morning. As the breeze touched his check Namorin smiled and Charlain muttered ‘About time’. Breezes didn’t follow him like they did Ackran, but he was used to always sensing their presences.

Word Count 759/9075

Life's a storm. Ride it.
Namorin Xalvratos
Whisper on the Wind

Words: 37562
Joined roleplay: January 3rd, 2013, 3:29 am
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Discovery Of Wind

Postby Namorin Xalvratos on January 13th, 2016, 3:18 am

His smile continued as the breeze began to playfull dance around him. This one seemed to be paying specific attention to them. It only took a moment before the wind began to speak to him. “Fly with me.” It said calling seductively with its whispering voice. Namorin’s smile turned into a grin. He had heard this call before.

“I would love to.” Namorin said, “but I can’t leave the ground.”

“You can now.” The breeze said giggling.

“What?” Namorin suddenly asked. That was different. He stopped his walk and focused on the breeze that seemed to be encircling him.

“You can now.” The breeze said again still giggling. “You have changed.”

“How?” Namorin asked. There was a pause as the wind considered.

“You only need to ask, and I will take you places.” The breeze said back as seriously as the silly wind could.

“Will I be safe?” Namorin asked.

“Safe?” The breeze asked.

“Will I be returned to the ground with no damage?” Namoring asked trying to clarify.

“You will return to the ground as you are when you ask me to.” The wind replied.

Namorin stood there quietly pondering the winds words as it got distracted and moved to something else. He had always wanted to ride the wind. Over the years he had wanted to listen to the wind and ride it, but afterwards he wanted to go home alive. Normally riding the wind involved jumping off something, but the wind seemed to be indicating that he would be alive after this ride.

Namorin walk over to the middle of the tower and sat down. He held up his head and raised his hands in supplication. His eyes were closed but he tilted his head into the breeze that had come over to join him. He could feel the curiosity coming from the wind, but Namorin moved forwards his with prayer.

“Mighty Lord Zulrav.” Namorin and Charlain began. They both had devotion and respect for the storm father. “It has been many years since I first became a Stormwarden, and began to hear the wind. It has always been a friend and a companion. For years I have dreamed of flying with the wind. Now one offers to take me, and I am unsure of its intent. To travel with it would be spectacular and a wonder beyond belief. I fear though that I wouldn’t return home safely from such an endeavor.” Namorin felt he already had his answer. “Life is precious, but there is always a risk, and improvement always calls for a risk. I sense no malice in the breeze, I think I will take its advise.”

Namorin opening his eyes at that moment and saw that he wasn’t alone in the early morning light. Ackran was sitting across from him. Namorin started in surprise at seeing the Zulrav’s priest sitting cross-legged in front of him. His friendly face was looking at Namorin and there was a broad smile across his face. He knew that the man hadn’t been up on the roof earlier, but he was master of this tower and suddenly appearing while Namorin was praying wasn’t past the man’s abilities at all.

“That is a good decision.” Ackran said as he watched the Akalak. “It is important to listen to the wind when it talks to you, but it is also important to listen to its mood.”

Namorin nodded his head. “I agree. The different winds have different attitudes. We have seen over the years that like people some are nice, friendly, cruel, or mischievous.” He paused as the breeze blew through their hair. Namorin looked more closes at the priest. He was approaching middle age for a human, despite the fact they both had about the same years. He though had seen many things and was an experienced Stormwarden. Namorin hoped that one day he would be able to also earn the second mark of Zulrav. Now that he was on his own he had begun to feel the call more and more to seek out Zulrav and to learn more, to become more entrenched in his faith.

“That is true. I think you are correct though. This Breeze has no ill intent.” Ackran said also enjoying the touch of the breeze.

Namorin nodded his head and sat up so that he was kneeling and spread his arms out. He spoke quietly, Charlain had been quiet through most of this conversation, but Namorin could sense approval from his other half. He like adventure, he like trying new things. ‘Lets go for this,’ was all he said as they turned their attention to the breeze. Namorin opened his mouth. “Will you please carry me. Let me fly with you.” He said.

Word count 789/9864

Life's a storm. Ride it.
Namorin Xalvratos
Whisper on the Wind

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Discovery Of Wind

Postby Namorin Xalvratos on January 13th, 2016, 3:21 am

The breeze seemed to giggle, but Namorin and Charlain’s attention was draw away by a new sensation. It started as a tingling at the edge of his being. He really didn’t have any words for it, but it was as if the wind was sinking into his body, penetrating the skin and going deep with in him. The sensation began to spread across his being as if came close and closer to the center of his being. It seemed like time had stood still as the tingling spread.

Once the tingling had spread across all of his body, so that it seemed as if the wind was touching ever part of his body. He noticed that he was moving farther and farther way from Ackran. His mind took in the look of surprise on the Stormwarden’s face as he started at Namorin. The young Akalak wanted to chuckle but he couldn’t really move his mouth.

Ackran suddenly disappeared as Namorin went over the edge of the tower with the breeze. At that moment he felt a rush as he descended down the steep side of the tower. Actually that wasn’t right, he thought he should feel a rush of falling, like when as a child he would jump off cliffs into a deep pool, but now that sensation wasn’t there. Namorin turned around so he could look forward to where he was traveling. Like everything else the movement was strange. He did eventually face forward, but nothing was moving together. It also took a lot of focus to make the movement.

It was as if various parts of his eyes were moving independent of each other. It was a bit disconcerting as he suddenly had a blurry vision of everything around him. He could vaguely make out the tower he was passing and the ground he that was rushing up towards him. By the time he was looking all in the same direction the breeze was now traveling across the roofs of the city. He was awed by what he saw as he moved in and out among the roofs.

If he had been able to gasp he would have. For years he had listen to the winds tell him of the spectacular sights they beheld as they traveled. It had become a sort of day dream to travel up and around seeing everything from a different view. He had always pictured the wind seeing thing from a birds eye view but this was different then even that. A bird flew above the city, and natural features, but as part of the wind he could travel well above everything, but he could also skim on top of buildings and other objects.

If he could have he would closed his eyes as the breeze, feeling particular playful, raced through a series of decorations on one of the city buildings. It was a strange sensation as his mind knew that he shouldn’t have been able to fit. He really should have shattered the decorations trying to go between them, but he didn’t instead he weaved around them like he would through columns as a child. The whole experience was breathtaking and exciting all at the same time.

The breeze was exceptional playful today and seemed giddy to have a passenger with him as he traveled through Riverfall. He saw them pass over his work, he was actually surprised to see his boss standing there looking up at him. Namorin was sure that his boss was looking directly at him, but his expression wasn’t surprised, nor did it show any sign that he knew who was riding the wind. It was curious only, and after a moment he turned his attention away and walked into the shop. Namorin thought about that wondering what he did look like to others. He knew the wind had done something to him, but he wasn’t able to look down at himself to see what it had done.

He pushed the though off to the back of his mind and instead he began to focus once again on his surroundings. The breeze just went were ever it wanted with not pattern or reason really were it went. Neither Charlain nor Namorin had spoken even to each other as they rode the wind. They both had been so engrossed in the world below them. Finally Charlain spoke ’Can you believe this. We could go anywhere this way.’

’What do you mean.’ Namorin replied back finding it difficult to focus, but feeling he had to pay attention to this conversation.

’We could ride the wind anywhere in the world now.’ Charlain said, almost giddy.

’We don’t have any clue if we can even do this again. Or if it can even be controlled. Namorin pointed out.

’Why do you always have to be a wet blanket?’ Charlain snapped back. Namoring ignored him as they traveled with the breeze down towards the harbor. ’This is a wonderful thing.’

’I agree completely, but I am not going to run head long off a cliff next time with out understanding it better.’ Namorin said calmly, the view was having a wonderful effect on him. ’I also don’t want to be stranded in the middle of the ocean either.’

Charlain didn’t say anything more as the climbed back of the cliff face and then moved towards the tower were this had first started. A general sense of contentment settled over the two of them as they encircled the tower as if traveling the stairs by wind power instead of foot power. Namorin was finding it hard to adjust his gaze to he just focused on what lay ahead of them. Soon they found themselves at the top of the tower flowing towards the spot they had original started from.

Namorin thought to the wind. ”Thank you for the ride.” He heard the wind responded with a pleased sound, and felt himself returning to normal. It was the reverse of before. The tingling sensation faded away in what he thought of as the center of his being. It slowly began to spread outwards towards the edges of his person. Soon it was only a faint feeling at the edge of his being and soon it wasn’t even that. He found himself sitting once again across from Ackran. He was watching with an intense gaze as Namorin sat there stunned.

Word Count 1064/10928

Life's a storm. Ride it.
Namorin Xalvratos
Whisper on the Wind

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets