Open [Winter Blaze] Mo's Macabre Masquerade

Mo makes a smashing appearance at Winter Blaze

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

[Winter Blaze] Mo's Macabre Masquerade

Postby Mo'esha on December 30th, 2015, 5:40 am

10 Winter 515 AV
Winter Blaze

A mere few hours before Riverfall’s Winter Blaze was set to begin, Mo’esha raced up the stairs of Godiva’s Refuge with a shrill and gleeful giggle. A heavy brown paper sack slammed into the wall behind her as she turned the corner into her room. Slamming the door behind her she did a little jig as she pulled her newest ball gown from the sack, showing all too much excitement over the garment. It was a pitiful scrap of clothing, stained, tattered, and torn. She may as well have pulled the thing from the dumpster, as ball gowns went, but it would serve her purposes just perfectly. Rummaging through the copious detritus that currently adorned her bed and dresser, she pulled from the rabble a rusted and used pair of scissors, lent to her by one of the other women staying at Godiva’s. Stretching the white lace out on the floor she admired the filthy fur trim around the shoulders, the frayed lace around the sleeves and hem, and the still – shimmering glass beads that barely clung to the bodice. Oh yes. Her costume would be phenomenal.
Kneeling next to the dress, she began relentlessly hacking at the fabric, until half the outer skirt was nothing but ribbons. She then began snipping away at the precariously attached beads. She left the neckline and left shoulder untouched, but cut the rest away, piling them neatly to one side for later use. She then grabbed a nearby flask of hide glue, and began applying it at random intervals to the fur lining the shoulders of the dress, encouraging the fibers to clump together, and giggling all the while. Atop the glue she applied a thin layer of pale face powder, included in the makeup kit she’d also purchased earlier in the day. Then another layer of glue was applied, and most of the salvaged beads wedged in and attached to the fur randomly. With the “snow” and “ice” attached, she moved on to the final touches. Scooching close to the fireplace, she pulled her waterskin and a washcloth close. Dampening the washcloth she set it in her lap, and began the meticulous work of singing the bottom of her skirt. Every so often the fabric would flare startlingly, and she would have to quickly pat it out with the washcloth, but the burns earned on her hands would only enhance the costume.
With the dressImage finished, and the denizens of the Refuge sufficiently convinced the place wasn’t burning down, she began the other preparations. Twisting her hair into a braided bun, she inserted a smattering of beads here and there to enhance the simple up do, and began applying heavy makeup. She had decided, since there would be little extra cash for a proper ball gown, that she would take full advantage of the costume contest. Putting a macabre spin on the “fire and ice” theme that she assumed was sure to draw a plethora of typically ethereal gowns. Emphasizing the branding scar on one cheek she applied heavy reds and blacks to her cheek and around her eyes contouring the shading to mimic burn woundsImage. These she contrasted with frostbite and "ice"Image on the other side.
Then she was out the door, a meticulously wrapped bowl of candy tucked carefully under her arm as her contribution to the "potluck". She arrived at the pavillion just before the 19th hour, and the party was well under way. The former slave was no stranger to extravagance - being a Kenashian by birth - and as she slowly traversed the beautifully manicured gardens leading to the main entrance, she felt a a brief pain of Nostalgia.
Passing her dish off at the door she peered into the main ballroom for a moment, but being unable to dance she moved away quickly searching for the bar and perhaps some company...
Ledger-3GM, 1sm: Used Dress, Poor (Lace Trim, Fur Trim, Beaded)
-10GM: Simple Makeup Kit
-3GM: Candy (Honey), 60pcs
-1sm, 4cm: Glass Bowl, 2 oz
Total: -16GM, 2sm, 4cm

Word Count647

Mo'esha
Player

Words: 26964
Joined roleplay: December 21st, 2015, 12:56 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Eldrid on January 3rd, 2016, 5:39 pm

A young, delicate Akvatari wandered through the crowded clumps of party-goers, overwhelmed by the sheer size of the celebration. She wore a simple ebon dress with fur trimming, however the simple dress had a parlour trick of sorts, a little something for it to flaunt. Along its front rested the work of its wearer in pale white and minute coruscating dust-like pigments. The simple winterscape depicted a small lakeside town, split down her navel by a river which meandered down from the overhanging white moon too the lake, slowly turning from snow white to a pale, ice-like blue. Around the moon and above the trees, which rose to the sky like tiny spires, the black night sky of the dress' cotton fabric was decorated with what could either have been sparkling white snow or shimmering stars. Eldrid had done little with her own appearance aside from the dress. Her delicately featured face carried no signs of make up or cosmetics and her grey wings protruded from the altered back of the dress, appearing as they did every day.

There were of course the odd stares, hushed whispers and questioning glances which usually accompanied Eldrid's arrival at any remotely crowded location, but thankfully her time working at the Gallery for Narista Chevan had earned her some warm smiles and welcome waves. She returned the greetings with timid smiles and meek gestures of acknowledgment as she flitted through the crowd before depositing her offering for the buffet on the table. Her own diet of fish and kelp meant she had never really worried about being able to cook, as a result, she had simply bought a snack plate from Nauti, the proprietor of the Blue Gem. In the hand which had not been carrying the snack plate Eldrid carried a book, the one she had attempted to read a dress out of the previous day. She rarely traveled anywhere without a book of some sort, a small comfort in a strange place such as this.

Eldrid didn't even dare contemplate dancing, her cumbersome tail was more likely to cause injury than enjoyment on dry land, in water though she could have danced circles around any of these that weren't Konti, or Charbosi, she had a deep envy of the graceful Charbosi who somehow became more graceful on land. It was hardly fair in Eldrid's opinion, but even as she sat down at the bar she realised there was no point in disputing that. There was nothing that could be done.

She ordered a flute of wine before she relaxed at the bar. It was then that her eyes chanced upon the strangest costume she had seen at the party so far. A young woman, seemingly human until one noticed the Konti scales, looked as if she had just traveled through Eyktol during summer followed by spending a night in the frozen falls of Riverfall. Her dress was . . . Well it looked as if it had suffered worse than its wearer. The edges were torn and burnt and it clearly looked like something whose previous owner had not taken the best care of.
Eldrid immediately loved it. To her, the dress was like one big collection of metaphors in one outfit. The way it seemed to demonstrate the owner's disdain towards current fashion trends.
"Oh my . . . Y-your dress! Tis a work of art!"
Eldrid blurted out as she almost choked on her wine.
"Did you make it yourself? Oh . . . Um . . . But are those burns on your face real?"
She asked curiously.
Eldrid
Player

Words: 42824
Joined roleplay: November 28th, 2015, 1:36 pm
Race: Akvatari
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Mo'esha on January 3rd, 2016, 8:05 pm

Mo’esha had nearly forgotten the large crowds as she mulled over a glass of water. She peered into the cup as if into the void, trying to understand how one would make water bubbly. There was so much in her new life that she did not understand. And as a female voice excitedly enquired about her dress, there was about to be more.
The light aromas of old parchment and sea water wafted through the air, and Mo’esha wondered it’s purpose in such a setting as she turned to greet the voice with a broad smile. Thankful for any conversation in the overly stuffy and formal locale. “OH thank you!” She beamed as she twirled the dress a bit, it’s singed edges making more of a dry crackling sound than the soft swishy whoosh one would normally expect. “I made it earlier today actually.” She leaned in a bit closer so that others might not hear her next words, “It was so much more fun and affordable than one of those.” Her hand gestured passively in the direction of the ballroom as her eyes twinkled. With a lilting musical giggle she swiped a hand over her ‘burned’ face, and held her stained palm out to the woman. The red and black powders came off easily, and the resulting smudge only added to the effect. The raised brand, however, remained in stark contrast.
“I’m Mo’esha, by the way.” The Konti held her hand out further, before sheepishly dusting it off on her dress. “Sorry.” If her skin had been visible, or perhaps if the woman were especially perceptive, Mo was blushing profusely. “Your dress is lovely.” Mo wondered at its detail as she slowly circled the Akvatari, summoning all her Kenashian upbringing to politely not marvel at the lack of legs beneath the charcoal colored fabric. “Did you do all of this?” she asked from behind. “I’ve never seen anything like it in all of my…….” Mo’esha stopped abruptly. Her eye glazed over just a bit when her Konti gift activated unexpectedly as she laid a hand on the grey gossamer wings. Scents raced through her mind: vellum, parchment, seafoam, fresh inksticks and charcoal, all things that might bring this creature pleasure. As the scents faded, Mo’s expression slowly faded from one of delight to sheer, unabashed horror as she realized. That’s. Not. Costume. “Oh… oh my… I’m so sorry. I didn’t realize. I… I’ve never met a… um…” Mo’esha slowly lowered her head, pressing her lips tightly together.
“Please forgive me.” She whispered, barely audibly, as she moved away from the Akvatari and back to her place at the bar. Her eyes were filled with nearly tangible remorse and empathy as they glanced up from beneath blonde hair and soot.

Running Word Count1,107

Last edited by Mo'esha on January 3rd, 2016, 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mo'esha
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Eldrid on January 3rd, 2016, 8:49 pm

Eldrid smiled slightly as she watched Mo'esha twirl in her rather eccentric dress. And the Akvatari had to admit, she far preferred the Konti's dress to some of the fluffed up ball gowns which dominated at least an eighth of the entire ballroom each. How on earth men found space for their legs amidst all that plush was beyond her. To her, there was something almost fitting about how those dresses were mostly empty, false, fluff. It almost seemed telling of their wearers, but that might be a little too harsh of a leap to make . . . For anyone who wasn't Eldrid that is.

She held out her hand and gave Mo'esha's a gentle shake before taking another sip of her drink. That the Konti was so taken with Eldrid's outfit cheered her up quite a bit more than she expected.
Perhaps tonight was not as much of a waste of pigment and binder as I thought . . .
"Oh well, yes, it was a bit of work. I confess I only managed to retire at the early bells of this morning but it was . . . " The Akvatari began, but paused as she glanced behind her to the Konti who seemed curiously rooted to the spot with one hand on the Akvatari's wing. As Mo's expression changed and she began apologizing and explaining in a rather muddled sense Eldrid released a deep sigh.
She meant the wings . . . Of course . . . She thought to herself before Mo asked for forgiveness. Eldrid paused and looked at her curiously for a moment, why was this strange creature so abashed about this turn of information? Most treated Eldrid as if she were the one that should be embarrassed about it. As if she were the one who had made the mistake.
". . . An Akvatari . . . Umm . . . It's the word you were looking for. . . I get that quite a bit around Riverfall. Well, not quite that. Most don't really like the wings and tail, and most seem to expect me to be embarrassed about it. So, you should not worry too much about it." She explained before she giggled. It was only a small, twinkling of a giggle in truth, but it did convey more amusement than almost anything else Eldrid had ever said.
"I am Eldrid, it is rather pleasant to meet you Mo'esha. I haven't had the pleasure of a full blown plea of forgiveness simply for a case of costume confusion in . . . Well, ever. But yes, I did indeed make my dress myself, apart from the fur-trim. I confess, it was rather enjoyable to paint the winterscape. And I have been dying to try out this idea since it came to me. Best of all, it required no make up on my part, I am simply terrible with cosmetics."
Why and how Eldrid spoke so freely she would never quite understand after that day, perhaps the wine had kicked in a little early, or perhaps the sight of someone sincerely apologizing for something Eldrid was so used to enduring softened her slightly.
" . . . If you don't mind, what was it that happened when you touched my wings? The texture usually has most recoiling in surprise."
Eldrid
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Mo'esha on January 3rd, 2016, 11:52 pm

Mo veritably melted when Eldrid reacted with kindness and understanding instead of insult or outrage. Thank you, Eldrid. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance.” Mo smiled sheepishly, and there was something refreshingly genuine beneath her words as she marveled in wonder at the Akvatari’s unique form and unabashed realism. “I cannot imagine someone holding your natural figure against you. It’s horribly poor form.” Mo’esha spoke the words as if the very idea literally left a foul taste in her mouth.
Mo shook her head gently, moving away from the subject. “Your dress is stunning. It shows true talent. I find its simplicity and depth much more alluring than the pomp and fluff-foolery out there.” She took a long drought of water from the crystal flute that still hung in her hand, delicately and with practiced elegance. Though the façade was comically transparent as she sucked her teeth, trying to think how to explain her gift.
“Let me see… how to explain?” Mo twirled a long strand f blonde hair for a few moments, “It’s like… a talent. My mother used to tell me that Avalis gives all of the Konti a kind of talent – kind of like the Akalak being different shades of blue, or… Akvatari….”Mo said the word slowly, purposefully, as the foreign syllables stumbled over her lips, “having wings. Some women know things, some see things, some feel things. I…” Mo paused for a moment realizing how silly this was going to sound, “…smell things. For example, you will likely remember me as the apologetic Konti with the ugly makeup.” She gestured bluntly to her face with a shrug, “But I will remember you as parchment, seafoam, and charcoal.” She smiled, hoping that she didn’t sound entirely insane, “It’s quite pleasant really. Like reading a book on the beach by firelight.” Obviously she meant the scent, not the sensation. “It’s also how I knew your wings were real. It only kicks on when I touch someone.”
Mo’esha swallowed nervously, and her gills rippled with a hushed tell-tale whisper. Was she talking too much? She was probably talking too much. Why couldn’t she have been one of the house slaves? At east then she’d know how to socialize. Quietly she took another long sip of water, unsure of how to approach the conversation next. Small talk was an elaborate and elusive art to the sheltered Konti.

Running Word Count1,507

Mo'esha
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Eldrid on January 4th, 2016, 8:37 pm

Eldrid smiled and listened politely as Mo'esha spoke. She had never quite met someone as willing to talk nor as friendly. In truth, Eldrid found a decent enough amount of enjoyment in at least having some company at the ball. When she had decided to show up, it had more been in an effort to display her dress. And now she sat listening to an inspired dress wearer speaking about one of the strangest abilities Eldrid had heard of. Eldrid chuckled softly and smiled as she murmured,
"Fluff-foolery . . . I shall have to use that at some point."
The grey-winged Akvatari listened silently to the rest of what Mo had to say before she began speaking again.
"Well, the apologetic Konti with the bad make-up is not quite what I would use to describe you, however thank you Mo'esha. I am glad one with your creativity appreciates my work, but if you truly wish to see masterpieces you should visit the Chevan Art gallery during the Festival of Hope. I shall be setting up a rather special exhibition in celebration. . . I do wish I had your ability, it would make commisions so much more . . . Unique. Being able to sum up another's likes simply by touch . . . "
She said as she showed Mo the book,
"Reading on the beach sand is certainly one of my greatest pleasures. Although this book is not mine, so it would be a bad idea to take it close to the spray. I am rather glad you didn't catch any hints of fish in your . . . What exactly do you call your gift?" Eldrid asked curiously as she adjusted slightly on her tail.

Her second flute of wine was already almost empty as she began pondering if she should show Mo'esha her own gift if that was what it was to be called. In Eldrid's eyes, it simply made her afraid to read aloud, for she had no idea what would come out of an unknown story. She had yet to try reading poetry though, which threatened to be dangerously intriguing to Eldrid's curiosity at a later time. For now she returned her attention to Mo'esha with a gentle sigh,
"Have you noticed any peculiarities about this winter? Like the sugar debacle? I hear it happened all over Riverfall, with no explanation. But at least others saw that, so that proves I wasn't insane on that day at least."
She said, murmuring the last sentence rather cryptically as her wings flapped open and shut exceptionally slowly. Eldrid tended to allow her wings a little free movement when she was deep in thought, and as a child she had thought it made her look more like a butterfly, which was why it became a habit in the end.
Eldrid
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Mo'esha on January 12th, 2016, 10:41 pm

Mo was genuinely enjoying herself; a thought which came almost as a shock. She’d had no such hopes when she arrived, and it was a great relief. She sighed deeply, contently, as she listened to the Akvatari. The hard melancholy which had set into her bones since moving here starting to warm and soften around the edges. She had no idea what the festival of hope was, beyond the obvious, or when it was, for that matter, but she made a mental note to visit the gallery none the less. The Konti’s brow furrowed a bit. There wasn’t really a name for her gift, it was just a part of her, like one’s sense of smell or touch. It was natural to her people, and she said as much – in the most relatable terms she could find.
Mo’esha coughed quietly into the glass flute she was drinking from, choking a bit, when the grey-winged girl enquired about the winter’s peculiarities. Dabbing her mouth daintily with a napkin from the bar – looking ever so ladylike, in true Kenashian fashion – she spoke slowly, clearly trying to choose her words very carefully. “I don’t eat much sugar. Not the raw kind, anyway. So I was spared that little fiasco - thankfully - but it was all the chatter at Godiva’s.”
Mo twirled her goblet between her fingers, making the liquid inside swirl with a gentle swishing. There were other things around the city, she knew, and her gift had taken a rather interesting turn as of late. Did she speak of such things in public? Was it proper? Would it help the lady sitting next to her? Mo’esha looked at Eldrid, and her eyes drowned the Akvatari in empathy. If this sweet creature were as confused - and as scared - as herself, would she not be equally as desperate for a mortal life line?
The Konti took another sip of her quickly draining glass, and sighed softly, resigned to her acute sense of obligation. “I’ve heard other things, too. Wells overheating, whispers in the streets. I’ve not been in this city for very long. So I do not know what is normal, but it appears to me that something quite abnormal is afoot.” Mo’s scales gleamed from beneath her ashen makeup as she turned to look the woman dead on. Her teal eyes peered over her goblet with a meaningful, understanding stare.
Perhaps she would not have to say it aloud. If things were truly as strange as she thought, her weighted words should communicate more than enough. She hoped.

Running Word Count1,933

Mo'esha
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Eldrid on January 15th, 2016, 7:57 pm

All around the pair the Winter's Blaze went on uninterrupted. Masquerading men danced with dazzlingly costumed women while one or two sat around engaged in conversation and drinking. Amongst this latter group was Eldrid and Mo'esha, although admittedly they were one of the stranger pairs there. The Akvatari sat quietly, contemplatively swishing her second flute of wine as Mo spoke. What the Konti said echoed Eldrid's concerns, which relieved her internal worries more than her expression and words showed.
"Indeed, I recall word of the wells circling the academy a few days ago . . . Tis strange business I feel." Eldrid said as she sipped delicately at the remainder of her wine. Her free-hand gently opened the cover of her book. Her eyes moved momentarily to the flowing ink script curiously.
Would it hurt to show her? Will she actually see anything? What will she see if she does? . . . What does it matter? It's unlikely I shall ever see her again. Eldrid thought to herself. She had never quite made any friends who were more than simple acquaintances. Keeping people at arms length . . . Or tail length perhaps, simply suited her far better. It was unlikely that any of the people here, from the fancifully dressed, midnight skinned Akalaks, to the shredded-dress wearing Konti before her, would understand her ways and reasons. Not to mention she was not one for opening up to anyone. When she needed counsel she simply painted, drew or wrote. Nobody could listen better to her woes than a sheet of parchment or a blank canvas. However, this gift of hers was something curiously new, and Mo'esha presented an opportunity to learn more about it. With a small hum Eldrid brought the book closer to herself.

"I have a . . . Peculiarity of my own that has cropped up amidst these strange moments. I do not know if it is linked to the city. Or if I am simply losing my mind, which would not be entirely unpleasant considering the state of the world, but either way, it has happened recurringly." She said softly as she paged through the book thoughtfully, searching for a page that might serve her purpose. The small letters altered with each page as each turn brought out an entirely different segment of the story. All the pieces regarding the princess' imagined slights by her family, and the convoluted plan she had concocted entertained Eldrid to a certain extent. It reminded her of how even the most innocent and unassuming people could in fact carry out strange and unusual crimes. There was more to each person than most knew, and she was quite happy leaving things that way. The page she settled on had nothing to do with this overarching plot, nor did it mention the forbidden lover. "I should warn you, this bit always startles me somewhat so . . . Please refrain from . . . Well, screaming I guess?"
She said with a small, pre-occupied chuckle as she smiled to Mo'esha. The Akvatari took in a breath before she began reading aloud.
". . . The diminutive bird, hardly larger than her palm circled overhead. . . "
As the words were spoken in her pleasant voice, a small, grey bird appeared above the book, translucent and bland. It spread its wings and flew up into the air above Mo'esha and Eldrid.
". . . The creature's black-crested wings beat gently against its pale white underbelly while it glided effortlessly through the air, as free as she dreamed she might be someday. It then began to descend. Dropping down to the ground before gently coming to a halt a mere armslength away from her . . . "
It was there Eldrid stopped. The next few lines spoke of the princess instead of the bird, and she was not fond of reading that princess out of the story. The bird on the other hand, had filled in with colourings as soon as Eldrid had read about them. It still had an almost glassy texture about it, almost as if it were a peculiar automaton instead of a bird. It had also landed, an armslength away from both Eldrid and Mo, on the bar counter, exactly when she had read the segment out of the book. There it simply stood on its two spindly legs, watching the two with small, beady bird eyes. Its tail moved up and down as it inspected its new surroundings with small, jerky twitches, not unlike many small birds. Eldrid closed the book and watched the bird and then turned to Mo to see her expression.
"Do you see it as well?" She asked with a surprising amount of nonchalance. She had been startled somewhat by the bird's appearance, but she had been getting used to the sensation lately. "I am still trying to figure out what it is . . . Where it comes from. But it happens whenever I read something out loud. . . " She murmured in a similar manner to the way the art critics she showed around the gallery conversed regarding any piece which provoked confusion.
Eldrid
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Mo'esha on May 1st, 2016, 6:00 am

Mo smiled affectionately at Eldrid as she thumbed through the book. To bring such a solitary enterprise to such a social gathering seemed endearingly eccentric. I wonder if all ak-va-tar-i are so interesting, she wondered to herself, stumbling over the name for the race. The foreign word felt bulky and awkward, even in her mind. So she repeated it a few times like a mantra, trying to get used to the feel of it, patiently awaiting the aforementioned ‘peculiarity’. As if tonight could get any more…

Mo very nearly squirted water from her nose, gasping mid-gulp as a small avian figure began to manifest above the book. Her gills made an awkward slurping noise, flaring instinctively at both the shock and the forceful coughing that ensued. Fanning herself with a webbed hand, Mo’esha wheezed a confluence of half-finished questions as she gawked unabashedly. “Wha… *cough cough* how di…*cough* how did you… *cough cough COUGH* I’ve never seen anything like it in my life!”

And it was true. For all the harrowing and amazing sights her slavery in Kenash had afforded her, she’d never witnessed anything quite like this. Her gills rippled once or twice more as she settled back into normal breathing patterns, finally able to catch her breath. Again Mo’esha pressed a napkin to her mouth in an obviously practiced way. Smirking into the napkin she thought to herself, what kind of Konti chokes on water?

Clearing her throat Mo turned back to Eldrid, but found herself at an utter loss for words. She ended up kind of just poking at it with a curious expression. “Eldrid, this is astounding,” she finally managed to whisper in a reverent tone... still poking.

OOCI'm sorry this thread got so lost in all the winter stuff. If you don't mind I'd like to wrap it up in a few posts so that we can move on to spring. PM me if you have any questions or concerns.

Mo'esha
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes