[Sylirian Flora] Mortunaultis Flower (Adoptable)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the first step to starting a lore article. Please hold all conversations about lores here in this forum. No development takes place here ie Article posting. This forum is simply for threads that want to hash out what a lore should or shouldn't include as well as its merits and flaws. One can also gauge interest in new lore here as well. Polls are encouraged.

Moderator: Scribes

[Sylirian Flora] Mortunaultis Flower (Adoptable)

Postby Devandre on February 2nd, 2010, 3:53 am

Mortunaultis Flower
Mortunaultis is a white to faded pastel red and powder blue flower found in the Syliran region.

Information (ID, Uses, etc.)

Mortunaltis is a poisonous plant found blooming in the cooler temperatures in some mountainous areas. It is not unusual to see these flowers bloom year round in the mountains, but is uncommon to see them bloom anywhere else in the Sylirian region during any season but winter. The flower belongs to a moon worshiping family of plants, the flower being a bud during the day and only blooms at night.

It is thought like the tides of the ocean, the flower is triggered by the gravitational pull of the moon. Usually beginning to bloom during the first three hours of sun set, fully bloomed for two hours and begins to die the last three to four hours. Usually the flower is finished/finishing it's closing period.

The flower when completely bloomed is fairly big at around five-seven inches in diameter from petal to petal. In the center of the flower is a pestle where pollen is held and collected. The flower petals have bio-luminescent chemicals, glowing a mellow blue color.

The plant any other day has very dark green leaves, stems, and flower buds. Low to the ground they are evergreen and only blossom annually.

Blooming
The first three hours after sunset is called the blooming period. The protective dark green bud begins to open as the first and second layers of long and thin petals begin to open. The chemicals within the flowers begin to react with the air creating an eerie blue glow that becomes brighter with the slightest of breezes. It is worth noting that these plants are very delicate during all three stages, if a strong breeze is present or an animal steps through the field the flowers petals may fall away or blow away with the winds. During this stage however if you happen upon upon a patch of Mortunaltis the observer will see what looks like dots of blue embers of a fire. If an observer is present during a strong gust of wind they may be treated to a beautiful sight called a "Glaudio" or Snowless blizzard. This is when the wind blows hard enough to pull the luminescent petals from their hidden state from the buds, which gives the effect of a manifestation of a eerie blue flaked blizzard.

Pollination period

Once the flowers have fully matured and opened completely, the plant's pestle is raised in the air. At a certain point in time when the moon has reached it's apex of the night the plant allows it's pollen free into the air. The pollen is a very fine dust, so fine that it is believed that the pollen is not lifted only by wind but the gravitational pull of the moon. Once the moon has left it's apex approximately 10-15 minutes in no one quite is sure. The pollen begins to drift back to the earth and pollinate another plant. This is one reason why it is believed most of these plants are found in big patches sometimes even fields. When a full field is in bloom it is quite a spectacle the ghostly blue glow something someone must witness in person.

Dying Process

As the moon begins it's decent to be swallowed by the sun again the flowers begin to close their petals and die. Having either been pollinated or not they die with the moon. The petals curl around there center protecting a process of making a plant seed. The chemicals that cause the bio-luminescent begin to fade as it is converted to another chemical that is very dangerous to any creature that may consume it. It is a defense mechanism to keep birds and herbivores from eating the plants and destroying the seeds of a new plant. If you were to ingest an entire dead bud an adult may become very ill, a decrease in strength and mental stability are some of the side effects. If a child where to ingest two petals of the flower less then .5 mg it may die or come very close to death. These buds when left alone house a seed and serve as the beginning of a new plant, the seed uses the deadly chemical as food beginning it's root growing process.

Uses

Other then being very nice seasonal garden plants, their deadly beauty is most useful in the hands of a herbologist looking to find a cure to a medical disease or to a poisoner. The extraction process is fairly simple using grain alcohol or a very strong spirit the dead flower buds are to be dropped into the spirits and left to soak for up to a week. This gives you a strong medical tincture or a weak blinding or pain inducing poison.

If a poison artist would like to have a stronger solution they may distill the alcohol off leaving behind plant matter and crystalline solid poison. This Crystaline solid can be then redissolved with another batch of flowers to create a concentrated batch of poison which can cause blindness from contact of the skin.

If the poisoner would like to make an air based deterrent, the distillation process is repeated a third time it can be recrystallized on hay. When the hay is bundled and set on fire and then extinguished, the hay will remain smoldering letting out a very thick choking white smoke. This smoke burns the eyes and lungs when inhaled causing hardness of breathing and blindness. This is an advanced technique and during production of this third distillation and recrystallization it is of the utmost importance that the crafter wears leather gloves. A single crystal left unattended on the skin can stop the heart within thirty minutes.

*Ripped from "Poisonus plants and Animals of Sylira." Written by Kraven DraGahozen
Rough Draft
Last edited by Devandre on February 7th, 2010, 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Devandre
Player

Words: 39870
Joined roleplay: December 5th, 2009, 6:45 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet

Re: Sylirian Flora Mortunaultis Flower

Postby Cayenne on February 2nd, 2010, 10:43 pm

Very nice! I especially like the description. :)

I've just a few questions, though, my good man.

How long do they take to grow, from seeding to the point where they're ready to blossom?

What sort of illnesses do you think this deadly plant could help cure?

concentrated batch of poison which can cause blindness from contact of the skin.

Does it matter where it touches the skin? Does it burn, inflame, etc?
Cayenne
Jungle Queen

Words: 440090
Joined roleplay: March 26th, 2009, 3:48 pm
Blog: View Blog (5)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
One Thousand Posts! (1) Power Fork (2)
Thunderspork (1)

Postby Devandre on February 3rd, 2010, 12:51 pm

Cayenne wrote:Very nice! I especially like the description. :)

Gratsi!

How long do they take to grow, from seeding to the point where they're ready to blossom?

Hmm I never really thought of it, but would it be a stretch to say that if a seed is planted in winter it will be fully mature and ready to bloom in one season?

What sort of illnesses do you think this deadly plant could help cure?

Well considering what it does through ingestion I would say at controlled dose it could induce vomiting? So I guess a better way of putting it would be,

"hands of a herbologist looking to find a cure to a medical disease or to a poisoner."

Hands of a herbologist looking to use it for medical use or to a poisoner.

concentrated batch of poison which can cause blindness from contact of the skin.

Does it matter where it touches the skin? Does it burn, inflame, etc?

I completely meant to put this in the original description, the concentrate crystal in any form cause redness and irritation in the area, it causes a rash basically. I would think different parts of the body would be more immune to the effects or at least slow down the effects depending on your skin thickness.
Devandre
Player

Character sheet

Postby Gossamer on February 3rd, 2010, 6:22 pm

Here's some of my thoughts.

Do Mizaharian's understand gravitational pulls? I don't think they do. So stating 'It is thought they flowers follow the gravitational pull of the moon' probably doesn't work. Besides, the way gravity works, there's no plants anywhere in the world that are sensitive irl to gravity fields. I know this is a fantasy game, but its still something to think about. It would be more likely it is triggered to bloom by the photoperiod and opens when it gets dark because plants are very sensitive to the light to no light ratios.

Okay.. so it blooms in the high mountains all year and only the lowlands in the winter. High mountains = snow almost year round, lowlands get snow in the winter in Syliras. Yet you state clearly they are evergreen, low to the ground, and bloom annually. So.. in essence, how does a low to the ground plant bloom in deep snow in the high mountains all year long when its an annual short body bloomer. Also, if its a short plant blooming in the high mountains in heavy snow, now come it supports such a big bloom. Traditionally small mountain plants only have small blooms because they freeze otherwise and have all sorts of issues trying to keep themselves warm enough to function.

It seems the ''poison'' in this flower is a bit confusing by the description. You state that if someone eats one, they can become very sick, if a child does they could die. You also say it induces pain, then later you say it causes blindness. I feel like this is rather disjointed and could be firmed up quite a bit. Is it blindness or pain or death? I don't think it should be all three, that's a little confusing.

Also, the third process of distillation and application to hay... why hay? It seems like any burning material could get this substance airborne in smoke form such as paper, grass, hair, fabric... So just sprinkling it on smoldering ashes would do it right?

I think you should state volumes required to create significant substances... a drop? a vial? A small bag of powder for a smoke bomb? That sort of thing.

Also, be sure in your writeups you keep your measurements in standard not metric. :)
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Devandre on February 7th, 2010, 12:20 am

Mortunaultis Flower
Mortunaultis is a bush plant that grows in Syliras. Though the flowers do not bloom in tropical conditions or extreme cold, the dark green plant however will grow no matter the condition.

Information (ID, Uses, etc.)

Mortunaltis is an evergreen bush that grows in the temperate region known as Syliras. The plant flowers annually during the winter seasons. However if the plant is growing in the mountains it is not unusual to find the plants blooming year round. The plant’s stems and branches are hardy and not easy to break. Its leaves are a dark green color and thick, shaped like a semi circle they are concave or convex in shape very similar to a hemisphere.

In contrast the flower blooms are very delicate and easy to destroy. Their buds are very tough almost like leather protecting the petals with in. The petals have a unique characteristic; they react to air glowing a bluish color, and some even says the flower appears warmer then the leaves.

Through some hands on research it was found that petals are edible and quite harmless to organisms that ingest it. Other test show that the glowing in the petals last approximately eight hours only decreasing in intensity the last hour of exposure to air.

These dead petals where tested with animals and have shown to have increased in toxicity. The plants toxic chemical is a natural occurring, strong herbicide. Through observation it was discovered that the entire flower becomes a self-sufficient pod like a fruit that dries and falls from the plant and has been observed to remains in a dormant state until water is introduced to it.

Once the pod comes to rest and water is introduced the surrounding small plants die, which prevent competition with neighboring plants as the seed grows and develops. Once the roots have grown into the soil the pod breaks away to allow the plant to grow further and unrestricted. During the first two seasons the plant is in it’s most vulnerable stage as its roots get settled and firmly rooted to the soil. It takes a bush 6 seasons to fully mature and start making flower buds. The height of these plants can get up to four to six feet in height the older the plant the taller it is maxing at six foot.

The plant is also photosensitive, flowering only during the night. It is unclear onto why the plant does this but some theories include fragility of the petals ie drying out and stopping the reaction needed for it’s seeds well-being. While others say it is a god in disguise, personally I think that one is a bit far fetched.

Uses:

The green thick leaves within store water, which is mixed with a naturally produced chemical that prevents the liquid from freezing. It is safe to chew but not advised to swallow the leaves. Ingestion of the plant solid can scratch the esophagus and other internal organs.

The flower post bloom may be harvested to make a herbicide. Beware during the process of converting flower pods to a pesticide use gloves and keep hands away from eyes and orifices. The plants toxins can cause temporary blindness, irritation to the nasal canal, and if ingested nausea, cold sweats, dizziness and in high enough doses death.

In order to make the herbicide one must make a tincture using strong spirits. Leave flowers inside of a glass container filled with spirit up to a week. Strain the plant solids and discard. Do not burn residual chemicals within the plant can become airborne, if this occurs and your breath the transparent blue smoke your larynx may become irritated and impair your breathing patterns. Along with that hazard the smoke can stick to skin causing irritation with effects similar to lye.

(OOC, okay let me start with this and add more if needed until finished to a reasonable degree of detail))

Second Draft
Devandre
Player

Character sheet

Postby Cayenne on February 7th, 2010, 4:41 am

I like this one better. :)

How about some measurements, though? How much does a handful of dead petals get you? What constitutes a 'high enough dosage'? Is it toxic to the local wildlife?

In the second-to-last paragraph, you go back and forth between herbicide and pesticide. Which is it? :)
Cayenne
Jungle Queen

Words: 440090
Joined roleplay: March 26th, 2009, 3:48 pm
Blog: View Blog (5)
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
One Thousand Posts! (1) Power Fork (2)
Thunderspork (1)

Sylirian Flora Mortunaultis Flower

Postby Solomon on November 23rd, 2010, 9:12 pm

Hey there, sir! I noticed you were still active, but that this thread hasn't been touched in the past few months. Are you just taking a break from it, are you waiting for some more people to comment, or have you abandoned it? I just wanted to know, so I could remove it from the Adoptable list if needed.

Thanks so much! <3!
Solomon
Wise beyond his years

Words: 9399
Joined roleplay: November 12th, 2010, 9:14 am