Becoming Drykas (Dymphna)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Not found on any map, Endrykas is a large migrating tent city wherein the horseclans of Cyphrus gather to trade and exchange information. [Lore]

Moderator: Gossamer

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on October 23rd, 2010, 4:22 pm

A more experienced fellow might have reacted more quickly or more impressively than poor Sam, who merely followed Dymphna with a wide eyed gaze and a wide open mouth. First, he was horribly embarrassed by the lack of control he had over his body. Merris would have laughed and then done things that threatened to make his mind blank out even to remember briefly. But Dymphna was his friend and he was obviously upsetting her with his lack of control. He was going to be a terrible Drykas! Second, he was left to pay for things.

He just hoped the pants would fit properly. Then he had to get an yvas for Dohaina...

"I'll take one of these too," he said, indicating the sewing kit to the woman at the tent. She was smirking at him, and he continued to blush.

Purchases :
  • Sewing Kit - 18 gm - Dymphna
  • Sewing Kit - 18 gm - Sam
  • Yvas - ? - Sam
  • 2 Underwear (Loincloth) - 6 cm - Sam
  • 2 Socks (Stockings) - 2 sm - Sam
  • Wrist Bracers, thick leather - 5 sm - Sam
  • Breeches, leather - 8 sm - Sam
  • Riding Boots - 1 gm - Sam
  • Belt, thick leather - 3 sm - Sam
  • Gloves, thin leather - 3 sm
  • Wool - ? - Sam
  • Linen - ? - Sam

I'm not sure how much material Dymphna would need to make his shirts, pants, and a wool cloak for winter. Also, I couldn't find an yvas on the Endrykas locations or in the price list, so... yes.
Sama'el Sunsinger
Not all those that wander are lost.

Words: 718167
Joined roleplay: March 15th, 2010, 6:26 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Dymphna on October 24th, 2010, 4:14 am

fabric math :
For the sake of simplicity I am estimating the price for Sam's fabric to be 3 sm.

Here is why... Skim as you wish...

Okay, so the price list has fabric prices by 50 lbs save for a few like silk and linen is somewhere on there, which yikes. Great for figuring trade goods, but scary for figuring out the price of fabric for your sewing project. I'm figuring fabric has a width of around 36" due to most pre-industrial revolution looms being less wide than what we have now - Typically at a yard or under. This means that you have to adjust yardages on all projects from our modern 45" to 60" to 36", which means you play with square yardages. I'm going to spare everyone the math I did for figuring out how many yards you'd need for making a pair of pants for a man that's 6'2" unless you want to see it.

Therefore this is my number breakdown for wool, please feel free to correct this as seen fit:

Average bolt yardage = 20 1/3 yards at 36"(12 yards at 61")
Average weight of a yard of worsted-weight wool = 10.62 lbs at 36" (18 oz/yrd at 61")
Average weight of a bolt of worsted-weight wool = 13.5 lbs

At this weight it would take 3.7 bolts to make 50 pounds. So there are 75.25 yards of fabric in 50 pounds; we'll round that down to 75 even, because your average fabric cutter will lose inches when cutting multiple pieces from the same bolt.

SO! A common fabric like wool can, as per the price list, be anywhere from 1sm to 1gm/50 pounds. That breaks down to around 27 cm to 27 sm per bolt. That breaks down to around 1.33 cm or sm a yard. We'll round up to 2.

The yardage needed for Sam's pants at a square yard (36x36) is approximately 4.5 yards. That would equal 9 copper or silver mizas per pair of pants. Since wool breeches/pants are 5 sm on the price list, it would make no sense for just the fabric to be 9sm. For pre-mades you have to factor in time, overhead, and other supplies when working out cost. Blah blah blah, I'm going with 2 sm for the yardage needed for a pair of wool pants. That would make wool around 3cm a yard.

My anal-retentiveness knows no bounds. :)
Dymphna
Player

Words: 79238
Joined roleplay: July 12th, 2010, 7:53 pm
Character sheet

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on October 24th, 2010, 5:21 pm

Sama'el Sunsinger
Not all those that wander are lost.

Words: 718167
Joined roleplay: March 15th, 2010, 6:26 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Mixcoatl on November 25th, 2010, 1:41 am

The Lord of the Hunt is Pleased!

The Lord of the Hunt showers you with gifts in joyous celebration!

Sama'el

XP: +2 Seduction; +5 Socializing; +2 Flirting

Lores: Endrykas Hiding Spots; Being Awkward; Softer Wool is Stronger; Trusting the Woman's Eye; Underwear: A Necessity for Wearing Leather Pants; Choosing Weather-appropriate Underwear; Sneaking Peaks at a Lady's Thighs; Endrykas Layout (Basic); Blushing; Being Left to Pay

Dymphna

XP: +1 Persuasion; +2 Seduction; +5 Socializing; +2 Flirting

Lores: Being Awkward; Sama'el's Lack of Clothing Knowledge; Sama'el's Underwear-- Or Lack Thereof; Owning a Living Dolly; Yes, You, not the Pants; Resisting Urges; Endrykas Layout (Basic); Bumping One's Head; Accidentally Letting Your Hands Drift Places; Blushing

Additional Notes: Oh my God, Megs, Dani, I would love you if it weren't for the fact that I'm mildly annoyed right now. I spent like, twenty minutes trying to work out how much the fabric would cost, and summing up all of your purchases, and you did both at the end. *Cries*

Aside from that, I loved the thread. You're both awktarded, but it was a fun read! I look forward to seeing more out of you two. Sorry I couldn't award more useful XP :(

I don't know how much a Yvas costs, I'll ask Omelet when I see him next. And, of course, PM me if you feel anything is missing, or if you have any questions.

Ledger Notes: Sam, please subtract 21 Gold Mizas and 4 Silvers from your ledger. Dymphna, please subtract 18 Gold Mizas from your ledger

Mixcoatl
Son, I am Disappoint

Words: 44188
Joined roleplay: November 24th, 2010, 3:34 am
Race: Staff account
Office

Previous