Mizaharian Word of the Day!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Feel free to post all your Mizahar related discussions here.

Postby Firenze on January 8th, 2016, 9:56 pm

I know that it has been awhile since I've done the word of the day, I'm going to try my best to start getting back on track with this because I think it can be a fun and useful tool. If anyone has suggestions for Mizharian words that they would like to see expanded on here please let me know!

Word of the Day:

An experience is the knowledge or use of an event or skill gained, usually acquired through interaction or exposure to the skill. Experience within Mizahar pertains to the XP that is gained from the grading after the completion of a thread. XP can be gained from your character experiencing new things, working through different skills or even just participating in a simple conversation. It will depend on how your character has interaction and exposure to the skill on how many points will be received or what kind of skill will be earned. Earning experience for your character is extremely beneficial for advancing them in the world of Mizahar and developing them overall.
Firenze
Food, or Friend?

Words: 674676
Joined roleplay: October 8th, 2014, 8:25 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Mizahar Grader (1) Artist (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Firenze on January 18th, 2016, 3:52 pm

Word of the Day:

Magic is a broad term for describing any supernatural effect, regardless of its cause. Most normal people do not distinguish between different kinds of magic, and will label someone a 'wizard', 'mage' or 'witch' by reputation and appearance alone. The truth is that what people call 'magic' is actually a collection of innumerable disciplines, and any practicing one or more can be considered a magic user. Magic users can accomplish the impossible and are feared by most and hated by some; they tend to be secretive and will generally not share their secrets with the uninitiated. Magic is very serious business in Mizahar, and not an activity for hobbyists to dabble in. It grants power, but that power always comes at a price; the greater the power, the steeper the price. There are three different types of Magic; Personal Magic, Divine Magic, World Magic. Magic can be beneficial to a character but if used improperly or overly it can't have damaging and sometime permanent side effects.
Firenze
Food, or Friend?

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Firenze on February 8th, 2016, 4:23 pm

Word of the Day:

The Lore of Mizahar is vast and is the core of all information. However, within Mizahar there are two different 'types' of Lore. There is the Lore which gives all writers detailed information; From the core basics of Rules and Guidlines to the Cities, Races to the Foundation of what Mizahar is.

On the other hand there are Character Lores. That is what we're going to focus on today. When first beginning in Mizahar there are somethings that can be rather confusing; Skills and Lores. Skills are the physical action or ability of your character. It is the means to be able to do something, the more of the Skill that is learned, trained and used, the more experienced.

Lores for a character is similar to that of the lore of Mizahar. It is the knowledge and information that a character knows. It could be a location within a city or it could be the city itself; it could be an event that happened to them down to learning and knowing the people within the event.

Continued...
Last edited by Firenze on February 8th, 2016, 6:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Firenze
Food, or Friend?

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Firenze on February 8th, 2016, 6:07 pm

Continued...

Sometimes it might feel slightly confusing if you have a Skill in a weapon; For example (this also pertains to certain other Skills as well), you might assume to know all that there is at that certain level of the weapon. However, this is not necessarily true. To do certain moves and/or actions it needs to be learned, this is where Lores come into play. If you have points in a Skill for a weapon it means that you've used that weapon, the level is how well you can use it. The Lores of that weapon (i.e. Weapon: Slashing and Bashing, etc.) means that you understand how to use the weapon in that way and can now apply it to future fights/events.

When grading a writer's work sometimes it can be difficult to pick out what a character might be learning as knowledge verses what they're learning as a skill. This may help when trying to determine. There are keywords that can help a person pick out a Skill as well as a Lore; Action words vs Passive words.

An action verb, such as 'used, moved, etc.' where the word is used in doing the action it can help easily find a Skill. Where as a passive verb, an action word where the person undergoes the action rather than doing it, and even nouns can be used to find Lores. An example could be, "Bob had seen the city of Syliras, it was a vast castle with many winding roads." While Bob isn't actively looking at the city to gain a Skill point in Observation, if he did not have a previous Lore stating that he now knows of Syliras then he would gain knowledge of that city, i.e. 'Syliras: A Vast Castle'.
Firenze
Food, or Friend?

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Firenze on March 22nd, 2016, 2:39 pm

Word of the Day:

Dilly-Dallier

Today is a different word, as you can see. I've chosen this word because it describes how I've been with this thread. I've been a slouch. A procrastinator. A slacker, slowpoke and/or dawdler. It doesn't relate to Mizahar, but myself. So you might be asking, "What are you going to do about this?! We need a new word?!"

Here is my solution! Since I don't have as much time as I would like to be able to post on a daily basis (which I would love to do). I am asking for help. However, we're going to switch things up a little! It can be a Mizaharian Word OR it can be a unique word that is not commonly used that you would like to share with others!

This is why I'm using a word that is not Mizaharian! I would like for anyone that it interested in sharing their wealth of knowledge to feel free to post! There are a few rules though:
  • Nothing that breaks the rules of Mizahar.
  • Nothing that is slang or jargon that isn't actually a word.
  • Stick to the format.
Here is the format to follow so it keeps things easy for people to read and find a new word to try out while they RP!

Word of the Day:

Description of the word that you've chosen!

Code: Select all
[googlefont=Junge][size=175][center][b]Word of the Day:[/b][/center]
[center][url=http://www.mizahar.com/lore/Word][color=#FF0000]Word[/color][/url][/center][/size]
Description of the word that you've chosen![/googlefont]

Note: If you don't feel like using the format provided above on your own template you are more than welcome to copy the posting template that I've used for the Words!

Happy Writing!
Firenze
Food, or Friend?

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Atticus Leslie on March 22nd, 2016, 2:44 pm

Word of the Day:

This is by far my favorite word.

Adj. To have or possess the quality of shapely or otherwise desirable buttocks.

When I discovered this word was real I regained faith in humanity.

Ex. That lass down the hall is sweet in nature and rather callipygian in shape.
Faceclaim credit to Bee. Love her.

For my friends and thread partners: An explanation
Atticus Leslie
It's a boy's name!

Words: 60564
Joined roleplay: May 13th, 2015, 11:23 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Previous