[Naia's Scrap] Honestly Dishonest

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The player scrapbooks forum is literally a place for writers to warm-up, brainstorm, keep little scraps of notes, or just post things to encourage themselves and each other. Each player can feel free to create their own thread - one per account - and use them accordingly.

Postby Naia Whitewater on December 26th, 2015, 9:50 pm

I'm sure you all know the drill, this is my scap- its basically going to be a mass dump of everything vaguely related to little miss Naia "This is why I don't help people" Whitewater here. I might scribble in some plot notes, and all and anyone is free to come on in and make a comment or note :)

Liar Naia
OOC Note: Decided to kick into gear and bring Naia back, but it might take a month or so until I'm happy that I've cleared everything.
Naia Whitewater
The Roaring Silence

Words: 146083
Joined roleplay: December 12th, 2013, 3:25 pm
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Naia Whitewater on January 4th, 2016, 5:43 am

Naia and Other Races

I'll be honest, Naia's a little racist, sort of. More accurately, she's inherited her ocean born sibling's distrust of other races.

It's less about inferiority and superiority as it is about understanding and thinking. She just doesn't trust the thought process of some races. As a Svefra, all in your pod were your family. You did prioritize one over the other because they were your blood, for all were your blood. Money was practically non existent, until she was 15 she didn't even understand the value of it, and the amount that people value money is also something that doesn't settle right. Not only that, but power and leading. The Lia is the leader within any pod, such a fact is undisputed. Governments made her uncomfortable at first, the idea that someone undeserving may lead, or that their rule may be so easily challenged.

Still, she was always curious about other races, and belonged to a pod arguably more open to the idea of other races than others. As an adult she has grown up significantly, and acknowledges things such as theft, the need and value of coin in a structured city, and why some people choose those they have blood shared with than others, though she still finds herself uncertain of people's character.

Human Races
Naia has a kinship with any Svefra she meets, and will usually let down almost all walls immediately. She has an unspoken trust that they serve Laviku and that they follow the Svefra Law, even though she herself has currently strayed from a pod.

The Vantha of the north she knows reasonably well, and has a high respect for (although I am unable to actually write such ICly given the closure of the home city, and thus no lores). She'd been to the city at least once in her life time, though it wasn't a light hearted journey, and one the pod probably wouldn't have been able to make if not for the aid of their tavan, and even then I'd assume that someone lost their life along the way.

Drykas and Inarta are currently unknown races to her. She's likely heard of them, in the forms of tales or works of arts, but she knows little more. By principle she holds them of higher esteem than the run of the mill humans, but wouldn't be able to tell them apart without more information.
Last edited by Naia Whitewater on January 5th, 2016, 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Liar Naia
OOC Note: Decided to kick into gear and bring Naia back, but it might take a month or so until I'm happy that I've cleared everything.
Naia Whitewater
The Roaring Silence

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Naia Whitewater on January 5th, 2016, 2:20 am

Looking at posts/threads you made over a year and a half ago like
Liar Naia
Naia Whitewater
The Roaring Silence

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Naia Whitewater on January 10th, 2016, 11:43 am

Naia's Accent
From the Svefra Lore:
The Svefra speak Fratava and Common. Fratava is sometimes considered tradespeak and is often utilized in barter among cultures that are not even related to the Svefra. Fratava utilizes a great deal of hand gestures and facial expressions as well as an augmentation of rapid fire syllables. Fratava is considered an adverb and verb heavy language, one that is colorful and challenging to learn. It is said there is a Fratava word for everything, even new words that haven't been thought of yet. So unlike other languages, Fratava borrows almost nothing from its brother and sister languages out in the world. This often makes it challenging to learn if someone hasn't taken the time to learn it as a child.

Known examples of Fratava include 'Tavan' - which means 'Friend.'

Inspired by another Svefra PC/writer (Cassandra Southwind), I've written Naia to speak with vowels perhaps a little harsher than the typical common speak, and speaking rather quickly (though clearly) when in rush, or any other situation where she thinks quickly and chooses to speak such thoughts. Although common and Fratava would have been spoken frequently on board her Pod's ship, the two languages would have intermingled some, with the words in Fratavan that lack a proper term in common substituted in a conversation that would have otherwise solely been in common. This little habit would have probably taken a little while to shake, and she likely still falls into it when in the docks.
Naia Whitewater
The Roaring Silence

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

Naia's Concept

Postby Naia Whitewater on January 28th, 2016, 11:11 am

Naia's Concept
I keep forgetting about the lack of a proper concept in Naia's CS.

And the reason for that is I'm just never happy with what I write, I can never quite put it down so it does her justice, so I think I might just throw down a couple of paragraphs here. To just preface this I need to warn that Naia is very flawed and deeply human, and I love that she isn't this perfect little creature.

But...

Naia is vain. Not in the 'oh I'm so pretty vain,' but the vanity of internalising that Svefra are so much more wonderful than anyone else, kind of vain. She's mostly grown out of it, but the fact that she is among the more intellectual of her kind means that her vanity in some cases has merely shifted. She's a much more gifted writer than many sailors she's ever met, if you forgo those not able to write at all, and likes to think of herself as intelligent. She hates being wrong, and she's stubborn as anything.

Despite this little underlying... almost egotistical entitlement she's got, she's a lover of language and other's voices, and fancies conversation something shocking. She tries to oblivion and back to keep herself measured and refined, but the moment you slide past the crusty, bitter over shell, she's this forward, occasionally sarcastic, fragile little thing that needs a better hobby than staring at stars and telling herself stories.

She's superstitious when the occasion arises, and loyal to those she chooses. She gets attached too easily for such a travelling lifestyle, and although she'd turn a blind eye to a man or woman tripping or falling over themselves, she's likely to help someone who she feels genuinely needs it - though she'll carry on as though someone forced her hand. Anyone who isn't a run of the mill human is much more likely to gain her favour on sight, for she places her trust in people's faith and customs, and sees anyone who grew up in particular circumstances to have a 'shared experience' of sorts, and holds a set of expectations - that a Svefra will follow their law, a Nykan will know their city is alive and of the Heart of the World, one who grew up on Akvatar to be musically literate and imaginative, those of Mura to know the Konti's grace and beauty, for example.

Its such a silly thing for her to judge on, but its what makes her comfortable - she believes that people are more defined by choices than their race and experiences alone, but that judging one of race and place of upbringing enough to make base level assumptions.
Naia Whitewater
The Roaring Silence

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Naia Whitewater on February 19th, 2016, 3:41 am

Oh yeah, I made this a little while ago because it reminded me of people who try to lie effectively with 0XP in related skills.
The conversation leading up to this :
Cowboy: "I'm just a cow boy. Just, ah, got back from a long ride and I wasn't just an @ss in a saddle this time, I was a partner. First time in my life I... made a pretty penny and I ah, figured I come home. And spend time with my mother. For Christmas."

Grumpy looking man with the handlebar mustache-beard-thing: "Now that's funny. Cos you don't look like the coming home for Christmas Type."

Liar Naia
Naia Whitewater
The Roaring Silence

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Naia Whitewater on October 31st, 2017, 12:50 am

Naia Whitewater wrote:
Looking at posts/threads you made over a year and a half ago like

STILL RELEVANT
Liar Naia
Naia Whitewater
The Roaring Silence

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)