[Verified by Factorum] Eithne

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, all the character sheets are kept for player characters. Feel free to come on in, browse the forum, look at what sort of characters others have created, and then begin your very own!

Moderator: Liaisons

Eithne

Postby Eithne on March 22nd, 2016, 2:30 am

ImageEithne
“It is by going down into the abyss that we recover the treasures of life.
Where you stumble, there lies your treasure.”
― Joseph Campbell

Full Name: Ssenestheithne (Sen-ess-then-ya)
Race: Half human, half Freshwater Iyvess
Date of Birth: Winter 12th, 491AV, (25)
Height: 5’9” (~1.75cm)
Weight: 121lbs (~54kg)

Profession: Maledictor
Housing: Solar Wind Apartments, Lhavit
Languages:Common (Fluent), Ancient Tongue *Taught roughly by her father growing up.(Basic), Snake Tongue(Poor)

Merits: Intuitive, creative, focused, charismatic
Flaws: Distrustful, secretive, manipulative
Quirks: She has a tendency to revert to sibilant speech when she's angry or frustrated.

Gnosis: Lykata - 1 mark

Physical Appearance:
Eithne has often been described as having a "prickly" appearance. Her hair is dark and occasionally matted, her nose long and and her eyes illicit a feline quality, with a set of thick lashes framing piercing slitted eyes. The half-breed has never considered herself conventionally beautiful, but instead, has unique features that compliment each other very well. She is tall, with boyish hips and a lack of defining curves, with her flesh exuding a strange lustre and interlocking texture not unlike the scales of a serpent. But while she is not exactly muscular, her body is lean and corded, like a runner's.

Eithne is most often found in practical clothes. Tasteful and clean cut, favouring blacks and faded greys, with a tendency toward long-sleeved garments. Hardly no accessories save for a bracelet or two. Because of her natural inclination toward trampling through the dirt, most of her attire is worn and rugged.

On the back of her hand is a single mark from Eyris in the shape of a Lomar symbol that glows ever so faintly.

Personality
Though inquisitive by nature, Eithne prefers logic and reason to emotional judgement. She cares little for gossip and tends to avoid situations that involve large crowds in small, enclosed areas. By virtue of her often dark and sombre appearance, many people consider her intimidating or standoffish. While she is quiet, Eithne is by no means shy. Growing up in the streets of Sunberth has sharpened her wits and hardened her skin to the barbs often thrown her way. She once disregarded social interactions and relationships in favour of scholarly pursuits, valuing initiative and change. The years have changed the half-breed for the better. She is polite and hospitable when she has to be, and enjoys ale as much as the next sailor. While morally grey, her desires fall in the realm of seeking the unknown.

History:
Eithne was the product of Janessa Minett, a seawoman and sailor by trader and Ssarkeshavin, the proprietor of a curios shop. Eithne never had the chance to know her mother, as she left when the girl turned three, just long enough to ensure that she had the nourishment in her bones to help her grow strong in a lawless land. Avin never spoke of her again, but Eithne grew to learn that he never gave up hoping that she would return.

ImageInstead, he raised his daughter on his own. As a freshwater iyvess, he was secretive by nature, which proved useful in hiding his malediction and reimancy practices from prying eyes. Eithne, as she aged, was surrounded by the myriad of bones her father collected over the years, and began to collect some on her own. When she was old enough, her father initiated her as well, to both act as his assistant and to "pass on his trade". Auristics soon followed as a supplement, and the pair made themselves as comfortable as they could be in a city known for it's instability.

Avin, however, was a wanderer by nature. He only remained in Sunberth to raise his daughter, and when she finally turned 18, he took her and what things he could carry with him and set off with her on a ship toward a destination Eithne had only ever heard of, Lhavit.

There they remained, until at the age of 21, her father bid her farewell. She understood the lust of travel in his bones and the desire to seek his own kind. As much as he loved her, and as much as she cared for him, her journey lay ahead, and she had to traverse that path on her own.

Gnosis
Eithne was singularly marked by Eyris when she was younger, during a time when she was bullied for finding joy in what everyone else didn't have a will to understand. Ever since then, she has been devout to Eyris and her realm of influence. Eithne asks the questions that need answers, and seeks knowledge to things that most would hardly bother with.

The singularly marked Lykata can invoke random images associated with objects. They might gain simple insight such as species, race, or even a name. If they are lucky they will be able to see purpose or perhaps even the mood of a contributor. Level ones don’t often get more than two or three impressions off any singular object. However, if they move through a location and try and ‘view’ more than one object at a time they can often get a pretty decent idea - via random glimpses at contributions - of what a location or set of objects was used for.

Gnosis Story :
“Last night I lost the world, and gained the universe.”
― C. JoyBell C.

Her father had always told her that Sunberth was not a home for scholars or wise men. Knowledge could not put food in the bellies of hungry children, nor cure a man of consumption. Sunberthians never looked to the past except to relive the transgressions of an old empire, built upon its ashes. They lived in the now. Wit and silence kept a person safe on the streets, and looking away was better than to step in at all. That was what her father had told her but behind closed doors, he taught her not only the magic of old bones and unpredictable charms, but of words, too. He kept trinkets and half finished books of unknown origin and collected what archeological findings he could from the hands of the Sunberthians who were more than eager to get rid of any item that could line their pockets with coin. Those that knew him often said that his lust for the unknown and his cravings for unraveling mysteries were genetically predisposed in his daughter as well. He made no bones about raising her the way he’d always viewed the world: a vast playground of discovery. Each stone unturned could be the next revelation.

As a merchant of modest means, Avin was respected enough to repel trouble and while his daughter warranted the same respect due to familial blood, Eithne still had to contend with the bullies. With strangely textured skin and large slitted eyes the shade of topaz, the half-breed girl was easy pickings for the small gang of adolescents that roamed the City Commons.

“Look alive, snake breath!” A large rock soared through the air and struck her on her cheek, leaving a deep gash. The impact had made her drop the journals she’d been carrying, sending papers strewn across the dusty road. Just don’t say anything, Eithne, the girl willed herself, biting her lip. Tears would have welled up in her eyes had she not grown up in Sunberth, where any ounce of weakness could be twisted against her. She had to be strong, for Father.

“What’s wrong, Enyuck,” the boy sneered. “Bite your tongue again?” He promptly grabbed the paper she was reaching for and glanced at it with a crinkled nose. “What is this shyke anyway? You think you’re better than us ‘cause you can read some stupid words?”

Eithne gathered as many worn pages as she could and shoved them into the rucksack on her shoulder. “Give it back, Rook,” she demanded shakily, getting to her feet.
“Or what?” Another girl spoke up. Round faced but caked in dirt and scratches. Her red hair was held back by a messy scarf. “You gonna tell on us? Run to your daddy?”

Eithne inhaled slowly. Don’t cry. Don’t cry. “It’s not yours, Rook. Give it back. Now.” These pages.. They were too important to lose to a group of monkeys. She couldn’t just give up.

Rook gave a look of surprise, then laughed out loud. “Would you look at that, little Enyuck has some balls. Are you angry we took your stupid paper? How angry would you be if something happened to it?”

The half-breed’s heart skipped a beat. He wouldn’t dare, would he? “Don’t, Rook--!” She reached out with a hand, as though she meant to grab it from him, but instead, she watched in horror as the teen boy tore the page into shreds and let it fall in pieces. Each torn edge that landed on the muddy ground felt like a stab at her heart. She looked up at the four boys and girls that laughed in the wake of her calamity, and for once, felt more than just a burning need to hide her face. “Why did you do that?” She yelled with a voice she never knew she had. “Why are you such an asshole?” The boys looked at her and laughed out loud. She stared in despair. Sunberth was filled with terrible, vicious and cruel people, but in this moment, they were the worst things in this world.

“Now we get a reaction out of you, huh?” Rook nodded and another black haired boy shoved her harshly from behind, sending her sprawling in the dirt and mud. The pages she had hastily shoved into her rucksack fell out in a heap. “You’re just a freak. Freaks shouldn’t get to learn things they shouldn’t. They belong on the ground, not with noses in books, thinking they’re better than us.” Rook reached down and grabbed more of her pages and when she heard more tears, her breath hitched. The journal!

“Stop it!” She cried, but her protests didn’t seem to matter to the adolescents, who laughed and tore the rucksack from her arm, spilling its contents and shredding whatever they could get their hands on. Parchment and quills were scattered and broken, and the drawings she’d done of various plants destroyed by the mud and feet that trampled it. A shoe connected to her back, kicking her down until she was caked in muck, with a foot pressing down on her head. The black haired Rook bent over, smirking. “This is where freaks like you are supposed to be, Enyuck, in the slums. Sniffing ink won’t keep you alive for very long.”

There was harsh laughter from the other kids. Eithne had to try very hard to keep the swell in her throat from forming a lump. When she felt the weight of the foot off of her head and the voices of the gang recede, the half-bred felt hot tears well up in her eyes. She got to her hands and knees, trembling and touched the torn pages of her journal. I can make another one, . She wasn't going to despair, she couldn't despair. She had to be strong, turn this into something to be gained, wasn't that what her father always told her?

And yet the tears still fell. She rubbed her face with an arm, picking up her rucksack and when she reached for the broken end of her quill, she saw the edge of a necklace dangle in front of her.

“You dropped this,” a girl’s voice spoke up. Eithne gingerly took the necklace in a hand and glanced up at the source of the voice. It was a girl, with shoulder length hair as dark as her own, and eyes that were bright green and…. Slitted. “Need a hand up?” The girl extended her hand and though Eithne was momentarily befuddled, she accepted the help and got to her feet. “That’s a nice necklace you have. Wolf bone isn’t it? ”

““Er… yes.. It’s a wolf’s jawbone. My father made it for me.” The girl remarked, pushing a strand of damp hair behind her ear. She stared, a bit longer than she ever meant to. “Are you… a mix, too?” She asked tentatively.

The girl’s lips widened into a smile. “I am.” She paused, glancing over at the scraps of parchment and papers strewn about them. “I’m sorry for what those kids did. I only just heard, or I would have come sooner.”

“It’s… okay,” Eithne told her. She inhaled and rubbed dirt from her cheeks, wiping them on her shirt. “They like to pick on me. I try to ignore them, but when they’re in a group like that well… One versus four isn’t very good for my health.”

“People fear the unknown,” the girl mused, pursing her lips. “It’s a shame really. There’s so much history here, if only they cared to look.” She turned to Eithne. “My name is Altessa, by the way.” She extended a hand in greeting which flabbergasted the girl. Sunberthians were so distrustful that a mere handshake was a cause for pause. But if Eithne was to be afraid her whole life, she would never be able to find the wonders her father spoke of.

Eithne took her hand and shook it gingerly. “I’m… Ssenestheithne but Eithne for short.”

“Eithne,” Altessa repeated. “Has a nice ring to it.”

“I’ve never seen you around here before, do you live in the City Commons?” the girl asked.

“Mm, no. Though I tend to keep out of sight. You know what they say ‘out of sight, out of mind’.” She grinned. “It makes it easier to watch people without catching anyone’s attention. You can learn a lot about just watching people.”

“Yeah…” Eithne glanced over her shoulder. “Like where the old peddler keeps his stash of blueberry scones.” Altessa laughed.

“More than that, really. I’ve seen men dressed as fancy as they can be, but with no jewelry on their person. The stains on a woman’s apron can tell you what sort of baker she is. But what I find curious is you carry around a rucksack, with paper and quills and inks, in a city that has no love for such things, let alone a need for it. That ol’ gang would call that foolish, but I think it’s brave.”

“I don’t know if I would call it bravery. Maybe stubbornness.” Eithne fumbled with the strap of her rucksack and Altessa grinned.

“Listen, I know I couldn’t help you quick enough with that gang, but maybe you can help me. I’m looking for a book, you see, and two is better than one, especially on the streets. Would you like to come with me?”

Eithne raised a brow at her, looking around her. This seemed strange, even suspicious for a half-iyvess who was taught to question everything. Books were a rarity by virtue of being books, and in Sunberth? The only ones she ever came across were the ones her father had collected over the decades he’d traveled. But Altessa didn’t seem perturbed by the girl’s reaction. She only smiled. “It’s smart to be cautious here,” she told her. “What if I told you there’s a place that even books call home? Even in a city like this, yes, don’t have to look at me like that!” She laughed, extending a hand towards Eithne. “Trust me. If not me, but the promise of a place that doesn’t care whether your nose is stuck in a book. A place where no one will challenge your right to learn and to grow. Sure, it might smell a little funky, but I think it adds to the charm.”

Eithne stared long and hard at the fellow half-breed. It was almost as though she could feel every beat of her heart in her ears. Does this ever happen often? No. Her life had been avoiding the roaming gangs of Sunberth and shoving her hands under rocks and dirt in search for the next discovery. A place with pages that had books that weren’t just journals… that… that excited her, more than anything.

The girl took her hand then. “Show me, please.”

Altessa’s smile was infectious. She gripped Eithne’s hand and turned, starting at a run. She had to keep her bag held beneath an arm to avoid its contents spilling out. “Wait--!” She stumbled after the other mixed blood girl, trying to keep up. They crossed the road, weaving between carriages and carts and entered a maze of alleys. Eithne held her breath. She knew this place: The Stumble Alley. A notorious name for a notorious place that had even the denizens of Sunberth wary. But Altessa didn’t seem afraid. Maybe… I don’t have to be either, she thought warily. Not this time, anyway.

“Are you sure it’s safe?” Eithne blurted out as they skipped along. The walls felt like they were converging on her and she found that she’d been holding her breath until then.

“Nothing is ever a sure thing,” Altessa told her. Her dark hair bounced as she dragged the other half-breed girl along. “We’re almost there I think-- ah, yes, here we are!” Altessa halted abruptly, and Eithne had to skid in order to avoid colliding into her. She blinked and looked up, looking visibly unimpressed. Though it was hard to be impressed by the magnitude of Sunberthian architecture.

“I know it doesn’t look like much,” Altessa remarked, as though she could read the other girl’s thoughts. “But it’s really the inside that is much more interesting.” She extended her hand once more and after a momentary hesitation, Eithne took it, promptly led through the doorway and into the establishment whose proprietor offered them a cursory glance. The first thing Eithne saw was the shelves of books. Shelves. Though the space was small, she’d never seen so many in her life. She hadn’t known her mouth was hanging open until she glanced at Altessa, whose characteristic grin was wider than normal.

“This is The Library,” she told her, leading her towards a small wooden table with chairs. “Modest in size but plenty of interesting reading to be found here. You like books, don’t you, Eithne?”

The half breed nodded as she sank slowly into the seat, dropping her rucksack on the floor. She was looking around at the musty old bookcases. The smell of parchment and ink was familiar. “My dad he… he used to travel from city to city. He collected journals and common books to pass the time, even filled some out himself. He always told me that memories never die when they’re recorded. Because then they are passed on… They’re shared,” Eithne exhaled. “Sunberth doesn’t have a lot of people that can read or even write. Words, they come and go here. So what little I can find-- people giving away their brother’s or sisters diaries, I keep. I write down interesting things in my journal…” She paused, then remembering that her own diary had been torn to shreds at the hands of Rook and his gang.

“That was what that book was?” Altessa asked, her head tilted.

“Yeah,” She answered. “I would draw things. Plants, animals, sometimes people. Did you know there are plants that like to grow in the shade?” Eithne shook her head. “You know how you said you liked to people watch? I do that a lot. I don’t like to show my face, because of well… people like Rook. So I watch them instead, and draw them.”

“Drawing is another way of learning,” Altessa agreed. “You make do with what you have, especially in a place like Sunberth.”

“The people here… they don’t know any better,” Eithne looked down at her hands, curling them over the hard wooden surface. “They refuse change. They’d rather live their lives in wood huts with their heads in the dirt than try to better themselves and others. I’m different. I know I’m different. But my experiences to them are completely insignificant. They don’t want to learn. Words just… they scare them like it’s a snake nipping at their feet and I don’t understand why.” The girl breathed, and suddenly felt a weight lift off her shoulders. That was nice to get off her chest.

“The biggest tragedy of all is when a man believes there is nothing left to learn,” Altessa echoed, grabbing a book off one of the shelves and opening the covers to a dusty page.

“I never knew this place even existed,” Eithne glanced around. Though it was nothing regal and even a little dilapidated, just the mere prospect of so many pages to read from had given her a warm, fuzzy feeling. “I’m afraid now,” she admitted. “That this place could just one day go up in flames or get ransacked by gangs. And the only area that even has all this knowledge and all these stories will be lost to the dust.”

“Don’t think of it like that, Eithne,” The girl told her gently, flipping the pages of the book. “Everything has a story, not just books.” She gestured to the table. “Even this table was once pristine, perhaps painstakingly crafted by a woodcarver for his family. Your clothes have a history of their own. Who do you think sewed them, and for what purpose? How many hands did it pass through before you picked it up? Books hold the written word but history is in everything. Even Time leaves an imprint of history that we experience every day.”

“I never thought of it like that,” Eithne mused, tapping her chin lightly. “I collect bones sometimes… It’s sort of an odd hobby, I know but… Trying to figure out what animal that bone came from, what they ate, how they lived. That’s a thrill I love to experience, as stupid as it sounds. But imagining the history of the people who wrote… all of these books… even thinking about the girl that might have worn this shirt before me, that… that is fascinating.” A multitude of images came up in her mind; her imagination whirring like a cog in a machine, it brought a smile to her face.

“Would it be?” Altessa smiled. “What would you do if you had the power to know a thing’s history?”

Eithne paused, her brow furrowed. “That’s hard to say, really. In Sunberth, people that know more… that are aware of more, have the most power. Power is corruptible, so in that sense, even knowledge can have corrupting influences. But in that same thought, it can be used for good, couldn’t it? We never stop learning, that’s what my father always told me, and I believe it. Every day I learn something new, whether through speaking or listening or seeing. To have that sort of power at my fingertips… that would just… open up an entire new world for me to explore. Even the mundane could hold secrets I would have never even dreamed of.” It was flashing in her mind, these events she constructed, and it lit her eyes up in excitement. “People think Sunberth is this raggedy old town filled with filth and dust and bones. But those bones have a history, this town has an abundance of beauty that just needs to be explored.”

Altessa’s smile widened at the teen’s words. “There’s always a diamond in the rough, even in a city like this. Can I see your necklace?” She asked abruptly then. Eithne looked a little surprised, but nodded briefly, rummaging through her rucksack to procure the jawbone necklace. When she reached to hand it to Altessa, their fingers brushed and the half-breed felt a warm, tingling sensation on the back of her hand, and a jolt that settled in her forearm. Eithne drew back her hand in surprise and yet…

“This jawbone came from a red wolf hunted in the southern reaches of Syliras’ Wildlands in the year 499AV. The name of the hunter who felled it was Marvin Anthros,” Altessa’s smile was knowing as Eithne stared, awestruck as the necklace was extended toward her. “Feel. Hear. Think.”

I’m not dreaming. She could see the mark on the back of her hand; feel it as it throbbed with a warmth that felt both unnatural and natural at the same time. Her hand rose, trembling slightly and reached for the necklace. One touch, and she could feel it, like the string of a harp in her ears. Wolf, it echoed. She could see glimpses in her mind’s eye, visions like a flash. Red.

She broke the connection with a gasp, wide eyed and in that moment she came to realize that this girl that had led her to this place was no girl at all but a… “Oh, Goddess....”

There was a laughter from the girl, like bells tinkling against each other. “You are not afraid, Ssenestheithne, even in the face of adversity. You would learn and grow and some day you will come to realize that everything in this world is intrinsically linked. All of our histories are intertwined.” She stood, drawing the chair into the table and smiled. “What you do with that knowledge is up to you. In the meantime, I think this quaint little library will certainly enjoy your company.”

“I… thank you, thank you so much, goddess, I… I won’t let you down,” Eithne’s voice was shaky, but not out of fear, out of wonder and gratitude and excitement.

“I have a feeling you won’t.” There was one last smile, and the girl turned, and vanished.

Skills:

PictureSkillExperienceTotalRank
#Reimancy10SP10Novice
#Intelligence10SP10Novice
#Auristics10SP10Novice
#Investigation 10SP 10 Novice
#Malediction5SP5Novice
#Weapon: Dagger5SP5Novice
#Wilderness Survival: Forest10SP10Novice

Lores:

Knowledge of Eyris.
Culture of Sunberth.

Possessions:

• Simple Shirt
  • Simple Pants
  • Simple Undergarments
  • Simple Coat
  • Simple Boots
  • 1 Waterskin
  • 1 Backpack which contains:
  • Comb (Wood)
  • Brush (Wood)
  • Soap
  • Razor
  • Balanced Rations (1 Week’s Worth)
  • 1 eating knife
  • Flint & Steel
  • 600 Gold Mizas (Housing Cashed)
  • Engraver's Toolkit
  • Crafter's Toolkit
  • Book, Blank x 2
  • Parchment (Sheet) x 5
  • Quill
  • Ink (1 Oz. vial)
  • Scarf
  • Bones, Game (10)
  • Blouse
  • Boots, High
  • Pants, leather

Heirloom: Jawbone necklace of a wolf tied on leather string. A gift from her father before he left.

Ledger:

NameCreditDebitTotal
Starting Package (Cashed Housing)#600gm600gm
Pants, Leather#1g 6s598g 4s
Engraver's Toolkit#50g548g 4s
Crafter's Toolkit#25g523g 4s
Book, Blank x2 #6g517g 4s
Parchment (Sheet) x5#1g516g 4s
Quill#5c516g 3s 5c
Ink (1 Oz. vial)#1g515g 3s 5c
Scarf#1s515g 2s 5c
Blouse#8s514g 4s 5c