A Rivarian Welcome [Cyrene]

Vypec meets Cyrene aboard the Mischief.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Postby Vypec on March 7th, 2016, 6:56 pm

46th of Spring, 516 A.V.
Riverfall Port, Mischief

Vypec could no longer say it was the oddest thing he had ever seen. Over the past winter and spring he had seen his fair share of inexplicable occurrences. This floating stone temple was merely the latest of them. Vypec clutched a few of the official pamphlets in his hands. He had seen the temple from above, along one of the high, cliffside roadways of the city. Vypec had come down to the docks and liberated the welcome pamphlets from the night-time volunteer watch. He wanted to see this himself.

As Vypec walked carefully down the dark, moonlit docks, he stared. The stones were most definitely real, he could make out the grainy detail of the bricks. The lower ones were home to algae, drifting lazily in the ocean waves. The thing was immobile, staying stoically still in the current of the waves. Vypec stepped onto the gangplank that they had dropped down to the Rivarian dock. He set a palm casually upon the pommel of his gladius, ready for anything.

A few sailors, odd people all, seemed to be shuffling around the top 'deck' stowing rope and whatever else sailing a stone temple might entail. Vypec had not the faintest idea, and felt a bit uneasy stepping aboard the mysterious entity. He began to hand out the pamphlets. "Evening, welcome to Riverfall. I have some laws and information here for you." Vypec found himself wondering if he should ask what this thing was, or if they even knew where they were.

He approached a huge, rotund man with prominent brows and handed him a pamphlet. "Well met, sir. What-"He coughed, glancing around. "What is this craft you have here?" He finally finished, his words coming less and less confidently as the man broke into a wide grin.

"This is the Mischief, Akalak!" He waved a meaty hand, taking in the vast stone island of a temple. He was dressed outlandishly to say the least, with bright colors and an assortment of trinkets and oddities that Vypec could not name. "Grandest and most famous of Alvadan craft that grace the Suvan."

"So, this is a ship?" Vypec asked, uncertainty hovering over his words. The man was clearly having a go at him. A few of the surrounding sailors were grinning knowingly. It was as though they took great pleasure in watching the reactions to their mysterious vessel. Vypec glared around at the craft, wondering how many of them there were. "What is your purpose in Riverfall?"

"Trade, passengers, the usual." The man grinned forcibly. He was moving now, towards a stone doorway cloaked in shadowed. He clearly wanted to be away from Vypec. The Akalak let his eyes drift down the long shadows of the doorway, following the fat man as he left. The shadows hid nothing from Vypec, though these sailors did not know that. As he continued to hand out pamphlets to the sailors as he saw them, he made a point to note every face. He would have to watch these ones, he thought.
Vypec
Night Stalker

Words: 156592
Joined roleplay: January 21st, 2016, 6:49 pm
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Cyrene Everwind on March 7th, 2016, 7:29 pm

Description "Cyrene" Thoughts Isur Tukant Others

The long evening had crept in. A glorious time of day for one to behold, for it was not day. As the light of Syna set, and Leth’s soft pallid glow began to fill the evening air, Cyrene donned her true form. Striding through the halls of the stone temple Cyrene walked slowly, taking in the ever shifting form of the ship. It was strange to think what this ship was capable of. Cyrene’s hands traced along the stone walls. The wooden ship had in fact become a floating temple, and within she was able to perform to a larger crowd now. Perhaps that’s what the Alvadan ship had instore for her and the other crewmembers? In the soft silence of the ship her voice called out lightly a soft melodic tone flowing through the empty halls.

“We kill the lights and put on a show~
It's all a lie, but you'd never know~”

Two melodious lines that followed some unheard rhythm within her head as she stepped further through the halls of the ship. Her long flowing hair, trailing behind her along with the tail of the elegant black dress she wore. Her horns forming a soft white circlet of a crown around her head. Almost like a halo of the moon peering over the horizon. She walked further through taking full scope of the ship. As much as she adored her Isur form this was her true skin. The one she felt most comfortable in. And had spent by far the longest time within.

“And after midnight we're all the same~
Nobody to take the blame~”

She walked the stone pathways leading to the exit from the hold of the ship, stepping from the darkened corridors and into the soft light, her form almost seemed to glow. A false luminance about it, still she felt at home in the darkened pale light. Only then did her eyes catch sight of a purple skinned Akalak. As was the norm with this particular race she had to crane her neck slightly to see them eye to eye. Still it wasn’t quite so much of a lean as when she walked in daylight. In what little Tukant she knew she spoke a soft greeting, even within these words the soft melody that laced her voice spoke through.

“Hello. Welcome, aboard the ship.” As she stepped closer the moonlight shone brighter on her, almost marking her as something akin to a phantasm. But no she stood before him as something solid stable. Her words shifted to common as she spoke gain the true harmonious nature of her voice edging through.
“I apologize I fear I may have exhausted most of the Tukant I know. Still welcome aboard the mischief, a ship performance and trade ship on its way to Lhavit. Might I inquire as to what brings you aboard this evening? The shows aren’t until tomorrow midday at the earliest.” She spoke with a light air of hospitality that seemingly didn’t befit her normal nature.

Perhaps it had something to do with the odd feeling she’d felt since the ship had pulled into port. She’d spent most of the past bell counting her coin in her cabin. Just making sure it was all there, now she felt a seemingly insatiable desire for more. Still she stifled the feeling and focused her attentions to the man before her. Perhaps she could get some information about what had changed in Riverfall over the last hundred or so years.
“Forgive my forwardness. I just don’t see much point in beating around the bush these days. The city is much more vibrant than when I last visited. May I Inquire as to what has happened in these recent years?”
Last edited by Cyrene Everwind on March 10th, 2016, 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cyrene Everwind
Beauty in the Blaze. Song in the Steel

Words: 89296
Joined roleplay: January 18th, 2016, 10:34 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Vypec on March 10th, 2016, 9:08 pm

Vypec stared at the woman. Her beauty was more than he had seen before. Not just that she was more beautiful than other women, but her beauty was more. More completely beautiful, more than mortal beauty. It was a beauty one would see when they stared at the stars of the night. Her hair tumbled down in an otherworldly shade of blue and framed a pale face. Bright, blue eyes burned as they looked at each other. But the most impressive thing about this tall, lithe beauty was the pearl-ivory horns that topped her crown like some sort of regality so subtle he did not understand it's significance. She was other worldly, in a city of mysticism where otherworldly seemed somewhat commonplace, but still she retained her significance. This was a being whose like Vypec had never witnessed.

Vypec stood and stared for a moment, not hearing her words. Vypal was aware, and for once in his life he did not critique a stranger. What is she? He asked, his voice hushed in subconscious reverence inside Vypec's head. He was shaken from his entranced state by her words, roughly in Tukant.

"Hello. Welcome, aboard the ship." Her words were broken and and far from fluent. But the attempt meant more than the words To Vypec. Many foreigners assumed common, but the rough greeting identified a subtle respect for the culture. Vypec flashed an unfamiliar smile nodding at her words.

"Hello, I am member of the Kuvay'Nas here to greet you all in coming to city." He said in his own disjointed common. To punctuate that point Vypec held out one of the pamphlets for her to read, if she could. It illustrated the laws or the city and pointed those unfamiliar with the city to nearby lodgings. But it seemed there was no need, for her next line of inquiry was to the changes in the city in recent years. Vypec didn't know when the last time she had visited was, but his mind immediately went to the oddities of the most recent seasons. At her request for information his familiar urge to please others ignited.

An uneasiness came with it. He was a member of the branch of the Kuvay'Nas that dealt with the most sensitive of information in Riverfall. This vile addiction, which he seemed to have absolutely no control over, could put that in danger if the wrong person asked the wrong thing. The Akalak frowned as he thought back on the past few seasons. The business prince Straif Davin and his antics throughout the city, the oddity of powers and events that had come in his wake, and now the plague of addiction that had almost crippled the functioning of the city. Everyone, including the leadership and the Kuvay'Nas, the healers and the merchants, had their lives uprooted and shaken by the sudden development of addictions to a variety of things. Vypec was only saved from worrying about his position in the Kuvay'Nas because so many of the factions membership had been subjected to much worse addictions than he. One of the squad leaders in the Infantry Branch had suddenly become obsessed with bathing. He had been seen more and more frequently in the baths and eventually took to the ocean when his peers' begging him to return to work became too much of a nuisance. After one night-time dip they had conducted a five hour search for the man before declaring him gone for good.

But Vypec didn't say that. "The city is plagued. Oddities and wild things are happening. Straif Davin, businessman and foreigner, has come and caused a stir in social and political channels." Vypec frowned up at the city, wondering what wild happenings were stirring even now. This craft, whatever it was, seemed to be normal in their current state of affairs. "I would not be walking at night alone." He warned in a hushed tone finally, turning back to the woman.

The Akalak finally lifted his hand from the pommel of his gladius and extended it to her. "I am Vypec and Vypal, of the Algranos family." He searched her gaze with his pale eyes, committing her face to memory. It was the careful, intense stare of one who dealt in such details for a living. "Who are you? What do you do for work? What is your purpose in the city?" He asked the series of questions, not meaning it to sound like an interrogation, but having less of a grasp on common than Tukant.
Vypec
Night Stalker

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Cyrene Everwind on March 10th, 2016, 10:32 pm

She’d tried her best to be hospitable. In all her travels around the worlds the long lived Akalaks were often the most amiable of the races she’d met. She followed up with a soft smile and nodded lightly as he spoke in his own common. A little ragged and rough around the edges but enough to let her know that he meant well. Cyrene stepped a little closer, ad lightly retrieved one of the leaflets from his hands laws, places to stay. Good at least the welcoming crew this time around was a little easier on the eyes. But the Kuvay’Nas?

“I’m sorry, it’s been about three hundred years since I’ve really visited Riverfall. Perhaps I should have mentioned that sooner. But what exactly is the Kuvay’Nas? I’m guessing from the way you’re presenting and handling yourself it’s got something to do with guarding the city?” Her words sincere and light, soft like Leth’s pale glow. She stepped up and past him now, her waist length hair, loosely flowing behind her as she walked the soft breeze of the port picking it up lightly. She didn’t fully ascertain the unease on his face as she stepped up next to him looking past him out over the city which had once long ago been her home. The feeling of melancholy that lingered around her soul spoke more than usual.

“Plagued, pray tell?” Straif Dravin? A business man. That spoke of money, a good pile of coin travelling with him. Wait. She shook her head a little dispelling the thoughts of money as best she could. He wouldn’t be waling at night alone? She gave a soft smile. “I thank you for the warning. However I’m not as fragile a flower as I appear to be.” Though as the Akalak turned to face her again he offered his hand. A simple gesture but one that spoke of a meaning that he wanted her favour or at least to not think poorly of him. Vypec and Vypal of the Algranos family. A mouthful.

Then came the traditional tirade almost a waterfall of questions spilling from him. Curiosity abounding in each breath. She took his hand lightly and spoke in her melodic way. “Calm down and all will be explained.” A she pulled her fingers away from his hands she began to divulge information. “My name is Cyrene Everwind. My work, at least for tight now is as a singer aboard the Mischief herel a vessel from Aladas heading towards Lhavit, a place where I’m headed. And that is my purpose in the city as well as a lay by on the way. When I’m off of this ship though I’m a smith. I work making blades for a variety of peoples and customers. It’s just often easier to sit in the fires of a forge than it is to stand in front of a crowd.”

She stepped forwards lightly again heading towards the edge of the ship her dress and hair flowing in the wind softly. “However I can’t say it isn’t nice to see my home town. Changed as it may be since my last visit.” She cast her eyes out over the now dimming lights of the city and then up towards Leth ever luminescent and lighting her form against the darkness. “So tell me “Vypec. How long have you lived within the city of riverfall?”
Cyrene Everwind

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Vypec on March 14th, 2016, 12:48 am

Three hundred years? What is she? Vypal said. He was not so unfamiliar with individuals of truly ancient origins, his own grandfather was well over two hundred years old, but he usually associated that type of age with Akalaks of renown. Vypec watched her speak, trying to take in the minute details of her appearance as best he could without making it obvious.

"A smith eh? You could find some work here. It's always good to have more craftsmen and women in the city." Vypec said, making conversation. "Crowds are ill suited for most, I'd agree. I for one don't trust them." Vypec agreed with her without thinking. It did not matter if that was his opinion or not, he wanted to build a social bond. He glanced around the ship, noticing that the activity was settling down. "A weaponsmith would have no trouble finding work. How long do you plan to stay in the city?" Vypec ignored her comments about singing.

"I have lived here for my whole life! Riverfall is my home and it gladdens me to see another native come home." Vypec said, smiling and turning to take in the night-time city. "It is a wonderful place, thought the oddities of this past year have left their toll on people. Everyone seems to have developed...out of place habits." Vypec put it delicately. He did not tell her much that she would not find out. "The city is probably much different than one hundred years ago. I wouldn't know though." Vypec glanced down at his gladius, wondering if she had ever made such a weapon.

The Akalak nodded towards the gangplank, making a spur of the moment decision. "You have lodging in the city? I could take you to an inn and we could talk more about the city. It's not every day you meet such an... Experienced person." He said, trying to find a delicate way of addressing her age. The urge to please prompted his offer. Vypec and Vypal both felt surges of disappointment at his simpering words. "It is the duty of the Kuvay'Nas to aid those within the city." He finished.

"You wouldn't happen to have any experience with these, would you?" Vypec asked, gesturing nonchalantly to his gladius. The sword rested against his hip. "You see, I've been training for the Dimakarux style, but only practicing in the Onmakarux for now, obviously. But I think I am ready to move onto the twin blades of the Dimakarux now." His words implied her understanding of what both styles entailed. Vypec had grown accustomed to explaining such things to spar mates and fellow warriors of the Kuvay'Nas, but perhaps she had heard of the traditional style being so old.

"You haven't heard of the Kuvay'Nas?" He asked, his deep tone containing hints of doubt and surprise. The militia were not a young organization. He did not know the date of their founding nor many particulars of their history though. "The Kuvay'Nas are the guardians of the city and the protectors." Vypec said simply. His pride in the institution was hard to miss.
Vypec
Night Stalker

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Cyrene Everwind on March 14th, 2016, 1:58 am

She spoke calmly after a few moments of silence.
“You can stop examining me, I’m hiding nothing.” A soft smile on her face as she caught his eyes looking up and down her form. Seemingly a few of her words had gotten through to him. He’d noted she was a smith and that the city could use more craftsmen and women…She sighed lightly at the obvious distinction. Though she listened intently at what he had to say. She’d have no trouble finding work. She chuckled audibly and flicked her eyes up to his.

He’d lived his entire life within the city? She now took the opportunity to appraise him as best she could. Her years had taught her to not judge an Akalak by their looks but how they acted. How he acted in her mind put him at nearer the fifty years mark. Young but not that young. Out of place habits? Did that have something to do with her pull towards wealth? Or was it simply something minor that had dawned on her since arriving in the city.

The glance at his gladius didn’t miss her notice as she continued to walk on. “As for where I’m staying Vypec? I’m residing within the ship, I have my own quarters among other things.” She chuckled loudly at his mention of an experienced person. “More so than you know my dear. As of summer I’ll have seen four hundred and forty six of them. And it’s a nice offer and I know it’s your job.” She twisted her head over her shoulder looking up to the light of Leth.

“As for your gladii, I have experience in making these kind of blades but not wielding them. I’m less of a fighter, after all a crafter's hands are their life.” She smiled lightly. “I have heard musings of a style like that whilst I was last here, then it was only in it’s infancy. Still though if you wish for me to craft you a pair of those blades simply find me a forge and pay for my time, the space rental and the materials and I’ll craft you what you desire. Shouldn’t take me more than a day and a half for the pair.” She’d gotten the hint of what he wanted when he mentioned the “double style”. But she felt a well of greed burrowing in her stomach.

“As far as the Kuvay’Nas…It’s been a while since I was here. I’m pretty certain that the basics of the group was a foundation when I was here last. Not much seems to have change though, except a swell in their ranks. Though I did forge some of their first blades when they formed.” She offered a soft smirk glancing up at Leth and his pallid light.
Cyrene Everwind

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Vypec on March 28th, 2016, 3:41 pm

The Akalak almost told her that he never stopped examining anyone. That was too close to arrogance though, and arrogance was the death of proficiency. Instead he turned away from her and let his eyes drift across the city before them. Vypec was stunned to hear her bold claim of antiquity, four hundred forty six years of life. She did not seem to carry any of the sagging or silvering of age, but so few of those who are somehow enabled to live so long do. Vypec let that claim go without comment, he did not know how it would be possible, and did not want to let the stranger know he was ignorant of it. Instead he leapt on her craftsmanship.

"A drink then, and you can give me the honor of escorting you back to your...lodgings," The Akalak raised pale eyes doubtfully to take in the stone of her craft. "After we discuss these Gladii?" A smile slid across the large purple warrior's angular features. Vypec was more sociable than his Dark Brother, however, that was not a high bar. Vypec lead the way down the gangplank onto the dark wood of the docks. "I have a lot of respect for those who craft the tools of my trade. What got you into the business of folding blades?"

The Akalak's mind went to his own crafting experience, a limited night's worth of toiling over the Lakan that now rested at the small of his back. He hardly thought that the forging of a Lakan was the typical experience. It was one of the secrets of his race as well. He kept quiet and listened to her words.

"I know next to nothing of crafting blades, though I appreciate the artistry." Vypec flexed his fingers and hefted an imaginary blade. "My life depends on the skill of the craftsman. Every blade I use, I prefer the best steel and the best design, because it could mean the difference between success and failure." He left the full extent of what that failure means unsaid. He was sure she could work that out for herself.

You're going to trust a woman with the making of our weapons? Vypal inquired disapprovingly. A stranger too. I'm surprised you haven't found your way into a shallow grave yet.

I don't care if she's a woman, she says she has centuries of experience making weapons. Vypec retorted, once again struggling against his brother within the confines of their shared mind.

People say lots of things, Vypec. I don't trust any of it.

That must be a lonely existence, brother. Vypec said.

It's an existence, and it will still be an existence next year, and in one hundred years. You though, you will get us killed with this trusting you do. Vypal retorted.

Brother, we don't have to buy the blades if they are not of high quality. Vypec conceded. He paused in his thoughts with his brother, walking silently beside the Ethaefal towards the city at the end of the dock. The lamps of the port promenade threw long shadows across the gently rolling waves of the Suvan, and across the pier. Those dark entities whispered their enticements to him while he walked. The Akalak ignored them mostly. It was hard to pay attention to those mysterious beings and everything else in the city all at once, especially if one was supposed to be having a conversation, let alone two. We won't buy shoddy weapons brother, but we need some new blades. A matching set.

I'd rather trust an Akalak.

Noted. Vypec said dismissively.

Petch you.

Vypec lead Cyrene to the front door of Alements, one of the most prominent watering holes in the Port. He smiled as he opened the door. "I don't know if Alements was around when you were last here, but it is one of my favorite taverns." Vypec lied easily. He did not have a favorite tavern, although he did not hate Alements. The Akalak spent very little time patronizing such establishments. Mostly he did so with his new squad. One did what they needed to do to fit in. On occasion he also took people here to get to know them... For work. "It has quite the interesting assortment of drinks."
Vypec
Night Stalker

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Cyrene Everwind on April 4th, 2016, 6:12 pm

Cyrene Stepped Past Vypec as he began speaking still listening to his words but also enjoying the slow lapping of the waves against the shore line. A drink wouldn’t have been a bad thing. But the business of working out the cost for the blades? That was what set her mind alight this night. Even catching the smile on his features from the corner of her eye. A great deal of respect for crafters?

Cyrene couldn’t help but chuckle a little at his words. Light and harmonious laughter. “What got me into it was a simple fact that it keeps me in check. It’s my way of tempering any negativity. I just channel the emotions into the swings of the hammer, and watch the anger, the pain and the sorrow simply fade away.” Cyrene again cast her eyes skywards wondering as was her want at night. He knew nothing of crafting though appreciated the art. Life on the skill of the crafter. Something she knew far too well.

“Don’t worry I’ve as of yet to have a blade snap on me. And if you truly worry too much.” She slipped some of the hair from covering her right shoulder presenting her Gnosis on full display as the blade marks seemingly drank in the moonlight. Like a black void. “I can power the Gladii with the Izurdin’s blessing. God of the craftsmen.” She smiled lightly, more trying to reassure Vypec than actually re-enforce her own talents. Though just having a mark of the crafter god was a signal to the talents of the craftsman.

The Alements though. That was new to her as Vypec had assumed. “Sadly I haven’t had the pleasure. A lot of things have appeared since I was here last, most are… New to me. Though I’ll take your word for the drinks and if it’s alright with you I think I’ll leave it upto you to choose them.” She spoke with a light word not fully there but a lot more together now that she was out of the direct light of Leth.

OOCI do apologize for the shortness of this post, not really much for me to work with in my own head at the moment X.X
Cyrene Everwind

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes