Open [Open] A Rainfall of Ribbits

A thread for the peeps of RF, one of them from the calendar events. :)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

[Open] A Rainfall of Ribbits

Postby Adyel on April 9th, 2016, 1:22 am

Timestamp: 2nd of Spring 516av:

With the days passing by like a sloth trailing across a tree branch had gotten weirder and more weirder by the tick. The Kelvic had a family from what it seemed, now at least. After his mother's deceasing, he grew alone and more timid of his surroundings. But, as the seasons pass by now, he'd grown to be more open and had particularly changed his perspective of Riverfall. Surely, the people here have been a great help to Adyel. He had also met a few interesting people, and perhaps now, they'll probably have a difficult time recognizing since he had grown so fast in a short amount of time. But, from what his mother, LIandrin had said about his Kelvic heritage. He'd known that since he was a lion his maturity would grow fairly quickly.

Oddly enough, things can't get any more weird with what had been happening for the past season. People gaining peculiar powers that could allow them to do certain things that had appeared to be even more so odd to Adyel than even thinking of or about them. Certainly, Adyel had been one of those targeted people with powers as well. He had the power to walk through walls, but he hadn't really felt comfortable using it. Surely, things can't be getting more odd than they are now? What was going on outside of Riverfall that Adyel hadn't known about. Not that he was some information broker or something of the sort.

Adyel continued his steps throughout the streets of Riverfall. It was a bit busy, nonetheless, but mainly Adyel had his space and that was what he had enjoyed. Having his own personal space. The Kelvic hadn't mind being close to the Danusk's if he could. Adyel has this loyalty habit where he knows that he can trust some other being with his life and they would entrust them with theirs. The Kelvic had grown a liking to The Sanctuary and would appreciate it if he could stay, but he still had some sort of emptiness within him. He felt the need to want to bond to someone. But, that need felt like it could also wait.

It was early in the afternoon. Things were going slow for the city of Riverfall, people walking here and there conversing with their neighbors whilst Adyel had took his steps at a slow steady pace with his head down drooping downwards and he stared at the streets before him. All of a sudden, a light tickle of rain started to drip down from the sky and a few drops plopped on top of his head and shoulders. But, once Adyel had looked up, something strange indeed had occurred. "Wow, look at that."Said a woman as she pointed one of her hands up in the sky, Adyel turned to where the voice had said the comment, and looked to where the hand was pointing. Yeah, like things can't be getting any weirder? Falling frogs, from the sky. Adyel sighed and was shocked at the same time. "Frogs?"Said Adyel with a concerned look over his young vital visage. "Afraid so, I think that we should take some shelter for now, and we must hurry."The strange lady said as others stopped to gaze at the sky before them.

A sweet aroma of cooked goods wafted through the air. And instantly, Adyel knew where he wanted to go. Fortunately, he was near the Bastani Bakery. Surely, they'll allow people to enter the building in a somewhat large group. Adyel hurried with his legs taking large strides towards the building that was roughly twenty yards away. Falling frogs, surely things can't get any more weirder...

OOCI'm also planning on having this thread start with the beginning of Adyels addiction. :)

|| "My Words." || My Thoughts || "Your Words." ||
Adyel
Player

Words: 96562
Joined roleplay: September 25th, 2015, 2:55 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kyna on April 10th, 2016, 2:58 am

"They what?!"

The peeved tone was not one normally heard from the petite Konti. That said she hadn't normally just heard of Riverfall doing something so monumentally stupid to endanger the lives of its citizens.

"It's true!" Kristina continue, unphased since the rest of those within the bakery had seemed happy enough to hear her news. "Ten gold miza from the Menagerie if you bring them a frog they don't already have."

A frustrated sound escaped the Konti. And, since a quick scan around the bakery showed that an awfully lot of those present had perked up at the ten gold mizas part, she had better make it clear precisely why she was frustrated.

"Well I hope everyone who takes part thinks to wear long sleeves and gloves since I can tell you for a fact that some of the frogs I've seen out there are poisonous. With as many of them as their are I don't even know if I'll have enough antidote on hand for all the cases that are going to turn up. You can't spend your miza when you're dead!"

Honestly, if this had been a more controlled setting, she might have been pleased. She'd not had a chance to learn anything about poisons yet, and studying a poison could lead to its antidote. Plus most things that were poisonous could be re-purposed to be medicinal if used correctly. But it wasn't. The darn things were falling everywhere on everyone, and the brighter they were the more children and the simpler folk among the population wanted to touch them. And the worse of an idea it was. Luckily the majority seemed to be fairly run of the mill, garden variety frogs, but with these sort of numbers even 1% being dangerous was scary.

So why was the fledgeling healer in a bakery? She'd gone to grab some pastries for those folks who lived in her Condo complex she'd shanghai'd into helping her moving what plants could be moved inside and then continuing to keep the gardens clear. Some of the plants there were rare. Her own corner alone hosted plants that represented most of her life savings to date, not to mention which could be the difference between life or death for a patient.

The sheer number of frogs threatened to crush the delicate starter plants, many of which needed special care just to stay alive in the climate, having been imported specially for their medicinal qualities. So she'd press-ganged her neighbours into helping keep the place clear of frogs. With their hands and arms properly protected of course, using buckets or planting pots to transport the amphibians.

A particular vexed, or possibly just enterprising neighbour had pointed out that some places ate frogs, and there were so many of them that just dumping them somewhere else wasn't really responsible. A cauldron had been rolled out and the boiling had begun. Until of course people realized that it was not particularly delicious and Kynas warnings were proven true when three people got explosively ill. Luckily they'd likely only tried eating frogs that had been boiled with a poisonous frog and not the poisonous frog itself. They'd be fine. So the boiling continued but the eating did not. It seemed somehow kinder and cleaner than stepping on them, not that that could be entirely avoided, or hitting them with gardening tools.

"At least I know what a rain of frogs feels like now.."

That comment might have seemed a bit out of place, but Kyna, like all Konti had a unique gift. Hers was weather-sensing. All last week something had been off. Yesterday had about driven her mad with trying to figure out what it was. In a way the frogs were almost gratifying. There had been something weird, and her feelings had been justified.

"You don't think people should catch the frogs then? That's a lot of miza just for grabbing something that's literally falling from the sky.."

Kyna rubbed her brow and sighed. She thought about it for a moment. The frogs were going to have to be dealt with. Animals were not her strong point, but half of these species didn't even live here as far as she knew, it surely couldn't be good to introduce them all. Especially given that Riverfall was the perfect place for frogs to breed and multiply. Really enlisting citizens to help deal with it was the only way. She just hated endorsing things were people were likely to get hurt.

"I imagine a lot of people could use that pay. So my professional opinion as a healer a gardener is this. Frog hunt away, as much as I don't like needless violence, kill the frogs you recognize while you're at it, safely, and as I said, make sure your skin is protected and you have something to carry anything you decide to bring to the menagerie in. And if you'd all kindly spread the word I'd appreciate it. I heard once that the Myrians have frogs that can kill a grown man with a single touch. And kids are out there looking for and grabbing frogs they don't recognize."

There was no fire in her voice now, just weary resignation. This would not end well, and she and others like her would have to deal with it. Hopefully she didn't have to tell anyones parents they best look for a grave site.
Kyna
Player

Words: 8253
Joined roleplay: April 8th, 2016, 7:40 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet

Postby Adyel on April 10th, 2016, 4:02 am

Timestamp:

It had appeared that Adyel wasn't the only person who had wanted to visit the local bakery. Sure, their are others beside him who have a knack for wanting to purchase delicious bread, desserts, anything that has a spark of interest into ones mind. The Kelvics stomach rumbled, and a bit noisy as well. The loaves of bread had smelled delicious and the sweet aroma wafted throughout the building possibly even outside one could smell the sweet sensational feel to the cooking. Adyel had accidentally over heard a conversation between a Konti and another Rivarian local.

Frogs, and poisonous frogs? Surely, Adyel had seen them fall just recently, but why would the city have to become poisoned by frogs with them raining down upon us like that? What kind of trickery is this? Is it some sort of Illusion being played by the Gods of Mizahar? Really? Adyel felt serious about this mind of thing now recently. Just last season the young man had been Marked by the God Yahal. Surely, that wasn't odd enough. His mother passed just last year of some disease that Adyel couldn't remember the name of.

What else, oh... The powers. The strange strange powers. Adyel could walk through walls. Now frogs are falling from the sky! What next, are pigs going to learn how to fly now as well? Perhaps, why not make it so. If frogs can fall, pigs can fly. Right? Is that how things are going to be around here? Adyel was entirely sick of these games he felt the want to leave Riverfall if these Gods, whoever they are would stop messing around with the magnificent Riverfall. The cliff city. The one that over looks the Suvan Sea.

"Excuse me. Ms. This isn't the only thing that's been weird and that's been going along within Riverfall."Said Adyel as he tapped the Kontis' left shoulder lightly. He wanted to get her attention, for her to ease to a calmed demenur without having to exploit some noise and chaos through the building. "You see, there had been a lot more weirder things then this. Trust me... And everyone here can possibly say so as well."Some ladies were looking at a few plants that were used for decoration within the buildings and listened in on the conversation. They all nodded simply, supporting Adyel.

But, with the progression of the conversation had gone on. The Konti had said something about the frogs from the sky being of worth with ten Gold Mizas. Ten? That's a lot of coin with a frog. Surely, some kid can't go to a near by creek... Nevermind, probably the nearest creek was within The Sea of Grass, perhaps it's really dangerous to just claim and say that one kid or a group of kids were to go out and hunt for frogs in something as dangerous as the wild lands themselves.

"Ten Gold Mizas, surely they must be a bit out of their minds. I mean, really. What are they going to do with frogs? Sure, they can do studies on the poisonous ones, but all of them can't be truly poisonous. Can they?"Asked the Kelvic to anyone really. He sighed and and shuffled through his pockets for his coin pouch. Eventually, he found the leather pouch and dug out some gold rimmed Mizas with a smile. He handed a handful and placed them on top of the counter in front of the owner. "Could I have a few cookies please, ma'am."Said the Kelvic with a smile.

She turned her attention to the boy for a split tick. And nodded, she quickly received a couple cookies from the pre-made desserts. And handed them to Adyel on a basic ceramic plate with a ln already poured glass of water. "Thank you. "Said the woman. Adyel nodded and took his plate of cookies and cup of water with him and sat at the nearest table. He took careful and quick bites and washed each and every bite down with his glass of water. While he continued to eat, the conversation between the women kept going. Adyel could listen to them all day. He waited for any more signs of confrontation while he kept eating.

Ledger3GM for cookies... I don't really know how much the prices for the cookies are because the prices aren't listed on the buildings info in the Codex.

Adyel
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kyna on April 10th, 2016, 6:00 am

Her attention turned from the Bakeries hostess to a young apparently human man with blue eyes highlighted by rather intense dark eyebrows who tapped her politely on the shoulder to get her attention before speaking. Though shorter than many of the Akalak residents, he still had several inches on her, but this did not surprise her, most people did. Kristina was one of the only people she could literally look down on.

Though born and bred in Riverfall, Kyna had only recently gone out to live on her own and really take on the responsibilities of her calling, so while she'd heard bits and pieces of the strange goings-ons, stranger than usual it had seemed, she'd not directly experienced them herself until now. She'd just helped patch up the aftermath.

"So I've heard.I'd almost feel better if this were a little weirder. Almost no one is afraid of frogs after all, so they won't take care, and then wind up coming to me."

With a half smile she raised her left hand, the back of it facing him, displaying the mark of Rak'keli she bore.

"And yes, ten gold miza does seem rather extravagant. No, honestly the majority that I've seen have been common frogs, the sort you'd see here anyway, though not in these numbers and not from the sky. Even most of the non-native species are likely harmless, that's what makes it dangerous though. If all of them were poison, people would take care when they handled them. Most of them aren't though. Maybe one in a hundred. One in a thousand even. So if you have people trying to get those promised mizas and they're shoving frogs in a sack, if the first ninety-nine are safe they think the hundredth will be too you see? Plus with frogs, often it's the more colourful ones who are the most poisonous, or so I've been told. If someone comes in with poisoning one of the things we ask is if they touched or were bitten by something colourful. Even if there weren't ten gold miza on the line, which do you think someone would reach for, a common boring greeny-brown frog, or an exciting one that looks like the Gods themselves painted it?"

It was about then that she realized she'd said more in the last five minutes than she had in the last week. The colour rose slightly in her cheeks. She was no expert after all. And poison was something she was sorely lacking in knowledge of, besides some of the basic herbal ways to treat it, and here she was lecturing as if she were an expert.

She shrugged once more, pushing away her embarrassment.

"I just wish when they set everyone to frog-hunting they'd given them better instructions and warnings so they could do it safely. I imagine for the menagerie it's more just about being able to say they have more varieties and breeds than anywhere else than because they expect to do anything useful with them."

Mentally she was going over what she had that could potentially deal with frog poison. And maybe secretly wondering if perhaps it wasn't worth safely grabbing a few herself. Just one rare frog was worth a goodly number of new plants which meant new medicine which meant more that she could treat. The young man ordered some cookies and sat himself at a table to eat them.

Kristina, ever the hostess, picked up on the switch from passion to faint embarrassment and offered the Konti a friendly smile to show she harboured no ill will, going so far as to add "Well, anyone else I tell about the bounty I'll make sure to suggest they wear gloves or wrap their hands, and I'm sure everyone else here will too!"
Kyna
Player

Character sheet

Postby Adyel on April 13th, 2016, 12:39 am

Timestamp:

Adyel had felt like he had completely embarrassed the Konti. He felt a bit guilty. Perhaps it was the change that he should get used to... Who knows. "Sorry ma'am. I didn't... Didn't mean to impose you or anything."Said the Kelvic as he took another slow, but yet awkward bite of one of his cookies. He really didn't mean to offend her or anything, he just felt that this Konti needed some conversation or at least half some stress taken off of her. "And if those fools can't tell if those frogs are poisonous or not, then you'd be getting your Miza worth now wouldn't you?"Said Adyel with a light chuckle. "Would you want one of my cookies Ms?" "There Fresh."Said the young man with an odd smile and tried his best to show his gratitude.

Adyel picked a nice plumped cookie from his plate and he didn't seem to want to enjoy his day with frog hunting, though it could be fun and hunting with someone who knew a bit about frogs would help and Adyel felt that he could use the coin for something special. Perhaps take someone out and have a fancy meal? Though, Adyel hadn't really been low on his Mizas, he'd just figured that he could earn some extra coin here and there. He practically has what he needs at The Sanctuary with Kavala. All that had happened lately, it certainly wouldn't hurt to keep up conversation with others. Truthfully.

"My name is Adyel by the way."Said the Kelvic with a peculiar smile. He took hold of an unused napkin on top of the table that he sat by and placed the plumped cookie on the napkin near the edge of the table. "Here, take it."Assured Adyel with a weary smile. "Whats your name by the way?"Asked Adyel with a more friendly smile. Small talk seemed good, for now.

Adyel
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kyna on April 15th, 2016, 10:43 pm

Oh bother. Now on top of having delivered a lecture she wasn't entirely qualified to give to a shop full of adults, she'd somehow managed to make the young man feel like he'd done something wrong. Still it was perhaps a chance to redeem herself to at least one of those present and maybe salvage a bit of this day. Besides, refusing his offer would be rude, and while she was often brusque, she wasn't intentionally rude. Plus, if one were being entirely honest, she probably could use a little time socializing. Although she managed to see many people through her work, she rarely saw anyone outside of it. It and her plants took up so much of her time, and sometimes it was easier to shield herself from peoples injuries and pain and stupidity by just staying home. When they needed her, if they didn't go to the Gilia Medical Centre, people knew where to find her.

"Thank you."

She offered, seating herself lightly beside him.

"You don't need to apologize, and I suppose you're right, perhaps the ten miza encompasses danger pay!"

She gave him a quick smile at that. It was fleeting, though sincere, rather like a cool breeze on a hot day. Someone observant might get the impression that this was not a woman accustomed to smiling often. It wasn't that she was unhappy or grim, just often quite serious.

"It's nice to meet you Adyel, my name is Kyna."

She cast about for a moment, looking for what to say next. This was all rather off-script for her. Where does it hurt? Where you doing anything specific that brought it on? Did you eat anything unusual.

"You were talking about the last few seasons, are you from here Adyel?"

She picked up the cookie he'd set aside for her, and took a small bite. As always, delicious. Olkaot was certainly the best at what he did. For all that baking might have been an odd pursuit for an Akalak, Kyna was surely not alone in her thanks that it was what he had chosen.
Kyna
Player

Character sheet

Postby Adyel on April 17th, 2016, 10:30 pm

Timestamp:

The Kelvic was glad that Kyna had engaged in conversation with him. He knew that he has a slight ability to ease tension during conversations, but not when he is nervous and shy around newcomers or new people that he hadn't met before. Strangers. That's what they call them right.

The Konti gingerly took hold if the cookie layed out before her and had sat down across from him. Kyna seemed to have wondered if Adyel was from here. Of course he was, he'd been here for the last two years of his Kelvic life. Ever since his mother died he'd been practically living in hell, save for the loving Kavala. Who'd happily adopted him just last fall.

"I've been here for the majority of my two years."He might sound younger than he looks, but if he could trust this Konti to not give him away to the Akalaks. He'd hoped shed understand. Surely, she would. He brought his tone down to a whisper and noticed some glances towards him. "I'm a Kelvic. Lion to."Said the young man with a hoarse whisper.

Pitty, if the Akalaks ever found out that he was a Kelvic lion. Who'd know how much they are worth. After all, all those Akalaks ever care about are Mizas. Be it if the Kelvics had feelings the Akalaks would still treat them as let's and probably not as good either. Adyel finished his first cookie and slowly went on to his next. "So, your a healer. My mother Kavala is one to. Maybe I can take you to see her some day. She's real nice. Definitely a generous one to."

"My Speech." My Thoughts. "Your Speech."
Adyel
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets