Solo Ghosts are Shelf-ish

The Valkalah Library

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Ghosts are Shelf-ish

Postby Winona on April 11th, 2016, 2:48 am

23, Spring 516 AV
———————————————————
helloAfter the tremendous heatwave Winona experienced yesterday, the weather today was a cool drink to the parched and swollen tongue. Although it was still rather warm, it wasn't as humid and there was a wonderful breeze that rolled across the stone city like a gentle ocean wave. Today was definitely much more bearable, especially with the more maneuverable clothes she bought yesterday after she got organized. Her tunic was made of thinner material of course, but it was long and she tripped over herself many times going up and around the bumpy roads of Riverfall. By the time she registered herself and got her things situated, her tunic was soaked in sweat and her muscles were aching. The black leather was thicker, yes, but at least she could move around with ease.

helloWinona stood outside the Labor Aid office and kept glancing down at the map in her hands. One would think that Riverfall had a nice and simple layout. But to a visitor, one could easily find themselves going in many circles. Map says go left—no, I mean right. It is a right turn. Hold on a second... I mean left! Wait... Winona held up the map and tried to compare it to her surroundings. It wasn't long before a giant, green akalak paused his morning jog and came up to her.

"Are you lost, miss? May I be of any help?" It was the akalak's shadow that caught the deaf chaktawe's attention. It startled her and caused her to jump back and survey the man. Winona thought she was tall, not really intimidated by the shorter akalaks that were around six feet. After all, she was only two to three inches shorter than them. But this dude was huge. He looked to be at least seven foot, if not more. The akalak's silvery eyes blinked a few times, patiently waiting for a response.

"I am sorry?" Winona crumpled the map tight to her chest. An overwhelming and unknown feeling constricted her throat, causing her to just stare at the big man with wide eyes. The akalak didn't seem to take notice of her voice or her disability and repeated once again. Winona's eyes watched his lips move with some difficulty as he spoke sort of breathy and quick from his recent jog.

"Oh? Oh—yes! Yes, I am in need of much help." Winona's words stumbled from her lips like a waterfall, causing her to clench her teeth in embarrassment. The deaf chaktawe quickly broke out of her stiffness and uncrumpled the map before the green akalak's eyes. "I am in searching for the Vak... Ehh. Th-The Vak-lah Library...?" Winona's eyes squinted at the title, moving her lips in attempt to pronounce it quietly a few more times before looking up at the green man. Suddenly, an amused grin sprouted from his face as his silver eyes studied the map.

"The Val-ka-lah Library is just down the road." A strong forearm gestured the way. "It's inside the Valkalah Academy, which you will see directly on your left after crossing the river." Winona stared blankly at the man's silvery eyes and trailed down his arm before she faced the direction he was pointing to. Devastation ripped at her pride down to the deepest core. It was just down the road...?

helloOh gods, It was just down the road.

helloWinona let out a frustrated huff before muttering a thanks to the green akalak and hurrying away. The green man watched her scurry off with a concerned look on his face but he just shrugged and continued his jog. Before Winona completely took off, she glanced back at the jogging akalak with her lips pressed together tightly, suppressing a bitter cry of embarrassment.

helloPerhaps she should read up on Navigation before reading anything else...

hello
Last edited by Winona on June 1st, 2016, 10:11 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Winona
The Deaf Spirit

Words: 26239
Joined roleplay: April 2nd, 2016, 10:51 pm
Race: Chaktawe
Character sheet

Ghosts are Shelf-ish

Postby Winona on April 23rd, 2016, 2:40 am

23, Spring 516 AV
———————————————————
hello"I am in searching for the Vak-lah library!" Winona's thunderous voice echoed throughout the cave-like foyer, ignorant of the impact her volume made within academy doors. Her dark eyes were drawn to the round desk in the middle of the cavernous structure, where an alarmed akalak shot up from behind. The tuscan purple akalak looked absolutely petrified from her blaring entrance. And unfortunately, Winona had mistakenly associated his reaction with her voice. Winona willed herself to ignore it, but her heart wilted nonetheless. It was still stinging from the last embarrassment just moments ago...

helloWinona hesitated, forcing herself to pretend that nothing was wrong, before hastening over to the man. She clasped the end of the round desk like an overly excited child on Sweetday. "May you can please—" Winona stopped herself and sucked in a breath. More embarrassment. "—may you please point me to the Vak-lah library?" The purple akalak analyzed her curiously, causing Winona to feel a little feverish and averted her gaze. If he thought her strange before, she probably confirmed his thoughts right then... Wait, why did it matter what he thought of her? Winona tried to brush the thought away but it kept fluttering rampant in the back of her mind, refusing to let go.

hello"Yes..." The man paused, still recovering from the shock that the chaktawe had given him. Winona nodded her head slowly, anticipating his next word with impatience boiling in her chest. She just wanted to burrow away in the library away from all the men. They did something to her to make her feel funny and she couldn't stand it anymore. She had to be alone. "But I must warn you..." Oh gods, what now. "There's been a lot of trouble going on in the library... You might want to come back another time. If you would like, you could come here for instruction instead. All you would have to do is find an instructor and—" His lips barely moved when he spoke, rendering it extremely difficult to read. Winona's knuckles turned white as she leaned in closer with each word. Please tell me where the library is so I can hide forever and never come out. "That is okay. I can maybe probably handle it." Winona chipped in quickly, determined to find it herself—even if she got lost again.

helloThe akalak reached out and gripped her hand, causing her heart to lurch forward and crash against her chest. Her skin prickled where he had touched her, and sprouted chills up her arm. "I'm serious, ma'am..." Winona's eyes flitted away from his lips and to his grasp, then back to the man's gold eyes that hid behind a fixture of glass. If she wasn't allowed to go to the library, why didn't they put up a sign to say it was closed? "If it so dangerous, then come with me. You are very much strong, yes?" Winona gestured to his muscled arms with her free hand. The purple akalak pulled his hand away, flustered, a bit of blush betraying his face. A tingling sensation faintly crept across her cheeks, similar to what she felt upon her hand when he touched her. Winona was secretly pleased with herself for rattling the reserved and somewhat bashful man.

hello"I-I'm sorry, ma'am. I can't leave the desk. Not right now. Just come back another time, maybe..." Winona let out a petty huff, tapping her nail-bitten fingers against the desk. This was ridiculous. The library is supposed to be open to all! Whatever the danger was, it was extremely selfish. "I am going anyway." Winona insisted, pushing off the desk and marching in the wrong direction. She froze and tossed her head back, "You can tell me now or I will find it myself." The purple akalak removed his glasses and rubbed his temples, shaking his head as he let out a visibly long sigh. "As you wish. You might want to head the other way if you want to find it. Down the hall and to your right."

helloWinona gave a slight bow, sharing a smug grin on her face before marching off triumphantly. She didn't need him or his muscles... Maybe... But she wouldn't dare say a word if she did. "I hope you know how to deal with ghosts!" The man shouted after the deaf girl, rolling his eyes when she didn't respond. "Crazy woman..."

hello
Last edited by Winona on June 1st, 2016, 10:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Winona
The Deaf Spirit

Character sheet

Ghosts are Shelf-ish

Postby Winona on May 3rd, 2016, 9:43 pm

23, Spring 516 AV
———————————————————
helloThe library was exactly where the purple akalak said it would be. Down the hall and to the right. However, the moment Winona stood before the doors of the library, the more uneasy the girl felt. Trouble in the library... What kind of trouble? Perhaps asking the purple man what exactly terrorized the library would have been beneficial... Oh well, maybe she could just... tell the trouble that she only wanted to grab a book and leave! Maybe the trouble wouldn't mind! The trouble might be just like her, wanting to read in peace without anyone to ruin it... Winona sidled up close to the door, ready to push through, her dark eyes scanning down the torch-lit hallway once more, hesitating upon entering. Some young akalak remained in the hall, chatting, while others were hurrying to who-knows-where. Just go in, you coward! She scolded herself. Winona gave a big heave against the door but it wouldn't budge. What in the name of the gods? Locked? Wait... Winona pulled this time, and the door to the library swayed open with no resistance. Of course... D-did anyone see that?

helloAs Winona hastily shut the door behind her, a warm array of colors immediately greeted her inside the moment she turned around. Winona had only seen three or four books in her lifetime from the tiny collection that Rasha owned. So although the library was much smaller than those in other cities, it was absolutely ginormous to her. Winona stood in awe for a moment, drinking in the smell of old paper and dust. Her dark eyes absorbed in all the earthy-colored books, neatly organized on the shelves, and the golden rays that licked through the windows, barely reaching her toes. The library was empty, most likely from the supposed trouble that resided inside. However, that's all Winona saw. There was nobody here, including this trouble. Where was this trouble exactly? The chaktawe shrugged and went about her business. The purple akalak was wrong!

helloWinona ran her fingers along the spines of the books, her eyes still studying the premise with caution. Suddenly she stopped, catching the sight of a staircase that lead somewhere underground. Curiosity and interest sparked within the chaktawe but she had to remind herself why she came. She wanted to learn more about Yahal. She wanted to know who he is, what he does, and why. But most importantly, why he chose to speak through her thoughts so many years ago when she had no idea he existed. Rasha gave her own account on why Yahal spoke to her, but Winona wanted to read it off the lips of the god himself. However, she didn't know how to reach him personally... She would pray to him, yes, but she wanted to see him. She didn't want to know Yahal as an invisible floating god in the sky... She wanted to know everything about Yahal. Not only that, but Winona wanted to have a personal relationship with Yahal; to be able to speak to each other face to face whenever Winona was afraid, angry, upset, or even happy. She wanted a friendship.

helloWinona began searching through the different sections in attempt to find something that talked about the gods and goddesses, unaware of the bits of dust that stirred up behind her. "Don't read that shyke." The apparition spat, waving a hand at the books Winona had her eye on, sending them tumbling upon her head. The deaf chaktawe cried out in surprise, shielding her head as the books fell to the ground. Winona's head whipped around, confused. What caused the books to fall? Did she shake the shelf too much? "Petching child. If you're not going to read something useful then go away. The gods are ignorant fools. No use in studying about them. They can't help you." The ghost continued, unaware of her disability. However, Winona remained silent, only a quizzical expression was etched on her face. The ghost watched her for a moment, flabbergasted at the chaktawe's serene demeanor. She just eyed the books on the ground, picked them up, and stuffed them back on the shelf as if nothing happened. She, in fact, did not run out screaming from the thunderous voice, but rather continued to read titles for the book she was searching for. "Are you deaf? I said go away!" More books flew off the shelves, causing Winona to flinch and jerk back, tumbling flat on her bottom.

helloThis time Winona knew something was happening. Was the trouble here? Was it invisible too? Winona held out her hand very still in attempt to feel for any sign of life. The ghost indeed moved, sweeping around her unseen, triggering slight tremors that trickled over her numbed fingers. The girl sucked in a nervous breath, but proceeded. "Hello trouble," Winona began to speak to no one in particular, her voice warbling as she focused to pronounce her words correctly. The ghost froze, furrowing his brow as he listened. "I just want one book. Then I leave." Winona went quiet for a moment, searching the room for some sign of approval from the trouble. When nothing happened, the chaktawe sweeped her wild hair out of her face and began picking up the fallen books once again. However, before she put the first one away, her dark eyes squinted as she read the title. This was the book she was looking for! A book about the history of the gods and goddesses... Yahal had to be in somewhere in this! Somewhere in this... Giant... Thing.

helloThe ghost came up close to her face, analyzing his opponent before smacking the book out of her hand. "You better petching listen to me." The apparition remarked darkly, pointing an invisible finger right under her chin. "Trouble!" Winona cried out angrily as she fumbled for the book that seemingly jumped out of her hands. The apparition to jerk away in surprise when she sliced through him to pick up the dark green book once again. "You stop that! I said I will leave!" Winona scolded, examining the book for any sign of damage. The ghost growled at her and wielded his soulmist to rip the book from her hands. He instantly hurled across the room where it slapped against the wall and clattered to the floor. Winona fell silent and clung to the shelf beside her, taking a few stumbling steps back with a trembling hand over her chest. Why did trouble not want her to read? Was he trying to talk to her? Warn her? "I... Cannot hear you... Are you angry because I am not listening to what you are saying...?" Perhaps that was what made the trouble frustrated. There was a moment of stillness that made Winona's body tense. Did trouble understand?

helloSuddenly, her dark eyes were drawn to the dust that fluttered off the ground and began to assemble into a person. A short, dusty person that was floating inches off the ground! "Oh really?" The lips of the fuzzy apparition moved. A smirk wove into his flickering face as he watched Winona's form crumple to the ground in panic and disbelief. The ghost now hovered towards Winona with a strange fog that surrounded him. "Can you understand me now, little shyke?" The hairs on Winona's skin prickled with alarm as a sudden coldness overtook her, her breath leaking out strange white puffs before her very eyes. Winona shivered fiercely as the panic she felt developed into a fit of hysteria, scrambling on the floor to get away.

helloHe wasn't trouble. He was danger.

hello
Winona
The Deaf Spirit

Character sheet