Traveling questions

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Traveling questions

Postby Cathan on November 26th, 2010, 8:40 pm

That's a good question I couldn't quite figure out myself from the sources I found on the Internet. One site suggested long distance riders wouldn't usually take a lot of food with them, at least if there is grass available. I figure because it would slow them down too much. Instead they make a break for about a day each week and only have a bit food for emergancies.

If there is no food available a horse needs 6 pounds of food per day. Since the site also said a mule could carry 150-160 pounds (and a horse maybe a little more) this would mean a lot of pack animals if there is no food availabe. On your main horse you wont be able to carry much beside yourself and equipment from what I see. Water seems a little more problematic than food even. Another side suggested a horse could go 25 days without food and 14 without food and water... but I am pretty sure you wont be able to ride it hard then, so its kind of irrelevant. I don't think grassing or feeding food you brought makes much difference timewise, since you only ride 8 hours max anyway.

So going with a horse might be more of a hassle than going without, at least over the larger distances of 1000+ miles. Today pilgrims used to walking seem to cover 15-25 miles per day as well, but of course they don't carry a lot of things, since most of the roads they take have a rest place every few miles. If you are halfway good hunting your own food its probably still an option, even when it slows you down considerably.

... actually imagines travelling a bit monotonous when I first calculated the numbers, but maybe it is more challanging than I though after all. :D
Cathan
Player

Words: 134817
Joined roleplay: November 22nd, 2010, 4:45 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Medals: 2
Peer Reviewer (1) Power Fork (1)

Traveling questions

Postby Stag Fern on December 1st, 2010, 9:04 am

Wow 'drool drool' too much to digest. Thanks again guys I can't thank you enough on what you said so thank you again

Now. Who wants to go travelling :)
Stag Fern
Wildling

Words: 39022
Joined roleplay: September 23rd, 2010, 9:24 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Medals: 1
Peer Reviewer (1)

Previous