Traveling questions

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Traveling questions

Postby Stag Fern on November 25th, 2010, 9:36 am

well I'm planning to leave Sylirias and then go travel around through the wilderness (possibly east) but my question is this.
1) Do I need a storyteller to go travelling I've been browsing around and the only travel thread I saw was Unfamiliar Roads. Is it possible to do this self mod? and if I need a storyteller what kind of storyteller?

2) What are the odds of the average cough person cough cough to survive alone in the wilderness?

3) Where exactly is the locations for the wilderness. I mean the widerness is big and finding just one location in a vast plain is hard?
Stag Fern
Wildling

Words: 39022
Joined roleplay: September 23rd, 2010, 9:24 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Medals: 1
Peer Reviewer (1)

Traveling questions

Postby Eanos on November 25th, 2010, 3:43 pm

Now I'm not an expert but since no one else has leapt in...

1) No you don't need a storyteller. But if you want to play with monsters or do other things that have large implications on your characters life or experience then it's best to have a storyteller involved to some degree. Any storyteller would be fine - well depending on what you want to do I guess!

2) See 1) above if you want to play with monsters... Otherwise depends on the season and the weather. There are not too many places you can buy food as I understand it since villages and the like are few and very far between. So if you can't carry what you need (unlikely I'd have thought unless you have a wagon/ horse etc) then you'll need to be able to forage. But typically foraging drags your travelling speed down to nearly zero except perhaps in Fall when there would be berries and fruit to be gathered. So without wilderness survival skills, survival is possible but difficult - and of course if you survive, a great way to gain them!

3) As above I don't think there are many locations, but locations would tend to have tracks/ roads running to them, at least in the Syrilas area, some other areas might be different. To me this is more something to be worked out in RP not worried about too much ooc.
Eanos
Overgiven Magesmith

Words: 443521
Joined roleplay: March 22nd, 2010, 2:38 pm
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Donor (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Traveling questions

Postby Stag Fern on November 26th, 2010, 9:12 am

Thanks you cleared things up for me
Stag Fern
Wildling

Words: 39022
Joined roleplay: September 23rd, 2010, 9:24 am
Character sheet
Medals: 1
Peer Reviewer (1)

Traveling questions

Postby Stitch on November 26th, 2010, 1:27 pm

Just to add on to the previous answer... The wilderness around Syliras is known as the "Wildlands", and I am assuming that is where you will start on your journey. You can find a few specific locations for it right here.

I just thought I would point that out. That list provides quite a few interesting RP opportunities! I am going to be leaving Syliras soon too, so we should certainly try and hook up again! <33!
Stitch
Blind Man

Words: 498882
Joined roleplay: December 11th, 2009, 8:48 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 12
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Author (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (3) Advocate (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)
Thunderspork (1)

Traveling questions

Postby Siiri on November 26th, 2010, 2:13 pm

As I understand it, there is a road to Syliras and Zeltiva that is regularly patrolled by the knights, seeing as these two cities are strong trading partners. Of course they can't monitor the whole stretch of it with such limited manpower so ambushes by brigands or monster attacks are not unheard of.
Apologies to everyone I'm threading with, but it's like the Danaides for me right now.
==/==
"If it doesn't solve all your problems, maybe you're not using enough of it." - Violence
Siiri
Beast of Prey

Words: 521753
Joined roleplay: September 18th, 2009, 3:22 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Medals: 7
Peer Reviewer (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Traveling questions

Postby Stitch on November 26th, 2010, 3:03 pm

Yep! I suppose I should reword my statement a bit. If I understand correctly, not all of the Syliran wilderness is known as the Wildlands. Syliras has the Bronze Wood and the Cobalt Mountains, for instance.

That road Siiri is talking about can be found here. <3
Stitch
Blind Man

Words: 498882
Joined roleplay: December 11th, 2009, 8:48 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 12
Lore Author (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (3) Advocate (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)
Thunderspork (1)

Traveling questions

Postby Cathan on November 26th, 2010, 4:18 pm

Out of curiosity... how long would such a travel between Zeltiva and Syliras take? I tried to calculate it, but it seems to take around 50 days on a horse, would that be correct?

(Rounded up the distance from 1375 to 1500 miles and most sites I found agreed you could go 20-30 miles a day with a horse. Or 50 for like 5 days, but then you would need to take a rest for a good week, so 20-30 seems still faster.)
Cathan
Player

Words: 134817
Joined roleplay: November 22nd, 2010, 4:45 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Medals: 2
Peer Reviewer (1) Power Fork (1)

Traveling questions

Postby Eanos on November 26th, 2010, 4:28 pm

Sounds good to me but I'd round it up a bit more. 1375/25 = 55 or 1500/25 = 60. Actually for such a distance I suspect you'd fall into the lower end of the scale so 1375/20 = 69, 1500/20 = 75. Plus I can't really imagine anyone riding for 50 days straight like that - unless they rode for a living perhaps. You or the horse would suffer some mishap or other. I think I'd allow at least an extra 10 or 20% for rest stops, or maybe go with the 20 miles per day.

Distance in Mizahar are huge and really travel should be painful enough that most people wouldn't do it unless they really had to.
Eanos
Overgiven Magesmith

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Traveling questions

Postby Cathan on November 26th, 2010, 5:42 pm

And yeah, I didn't think one would go for 50 days straight either. Was more trying to get a feel for the distance (since my char wouldn't go per horse anyway). I also imagined the fact that there is a road between the two cities would put it on the upper scale rather than the lower, but reading up on the region now, even a street is probably not helping much in hard terrain.

From what I understand the rest stops are already calculated into the 20-30 miles per day for a horse. That would be 6-8 hours depending on the landscape, so enough time for breaks. However I believe it might be hard to carry that much food with you, so you will need some time of hunting or searching food anyway.
Cathan
Player

Words: 134817
Joined roleplay: November 22nd, 2010, 4:45 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Medals: 2
Peer Reviewer (1) Power Fork (1)

Traveling questions

Postby Eanos on November 26th, 2010, 7:24 pm

Sounds like you are thinking this through well.

Yes, how much food do you need for 50 days? I think you might need a cart! Plus of course there is the question of food for the horse too. Does the 20-30 miles also assume an inn with feed on tap or does it allow time for grazing?
Eanos
Overgiven Magesmith

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Next