Solo Doctors Orders

Deliaths first day working at the Catholicon - Job Thread

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

Doctors Orders

Postby Deliath on January 29th, 2017, 6:11 pm

6 WINTER, 516

Deliath has arrived for her new job a few chimes earlier than she had meant to, but that simply meant that she could learn where everything in the Catholicon was, at least on the floor that she was needed on today.

Sighing, she picked up a empty book she had been given to record what had been done with each patient and began to look around the floor she was on. Within a few chimes she'd located a series of shelves that contained a variety of salves, poultices, tonics and ointments. Underneath the shelves stood a few drawers filled with various things, such as bandages, splints, tourniquets and other medical tools.

Deliath looked up again and headed back to the entryway where she bumped into another member of staff who pointed her towards a few rooms that housed resident sick patients, telling her that she was to make sure that they were comfortable to make sure that they were recovering, along with their names and what they had came to the Catholicon to have treated.

Deliath thanked the woman before heading towards the rooms and entering one quietly, to see an elderly woman with red hair lined with silver and several piercings decorating her, lying down, looking fairly miserable.

Smiling, Del approached the older lady, taking making sure to remember the names she had been told. As she remembered, this was a Miss Sedele, an Inarta who had been taken ill while attempting to climb the mountains without taking the aid of an Okomo.
"Morning Miss Sedele, is it alright if I call you that?" she paused and waited for the woman nod in response. "My name is Del and I will be seeing to you, if that's okay? Now, could I just ask you a few questions?" she paused again until she saw the woman nod again. "Well, first of all, how are you feeling today, and I need you to be honest with me?"

She watched the woman, Miss Sedele, adjust her position to sit up more straightly before opening her mouth to speak.
"A bit better, but my ankle still hurts... I cut it on the way up the mountain, when I fell." the woman explained and Deliath nodded writing a few notes down in the empty book she'd been given.
"Is it alright if I take a quick look, see if it needs a new dressing and all that?" she asked warmly, watching as the woman nodded.
Carefully, Deliath stepped closer to the woman, looking at her leg and ankle to gauge how was best to examine the dressings. Eventually she decided to just go for it, but remain gentle so she didn't injure the woman.
"If anything starts to hurt at all, please just let me know." she said calmly before the woman turned her head to look the other way. Deliath gently pulled the hemline of the woman's oaths out of the way to get a better look at the dressing. It was made of what looked like once white bandages, that now had turned a yellowish shade, with a few specks of red on the outside where blood had leaked through. Gently, she touched the bandage to find that it was moist, that the dressing was now pretty much useless and it was time to redress it.
"It's time that we redressed your ankle, so if you just a few moments and I'll go and get everything we need." Deliath smiled warmly before quickly leaving the room.
She gathered everything she would need, a long strip of cloth, a bowl of water, a sponge, and some Krolar Poultice, the label on which stated that it quickened the healing process, before quickly scanning through a book to make sure they dressed wounds the same way she had back in Sunberth and she nodded, glad that it was similar, before hurrying back to the woman who's bandaged ankle was still exposed.
"Now, I'm just going to take off this dressing, and put on a new one. You just lay back and relax, and if I hurt you at all, or if anything makes you uncomfortable, just let me know." she smiled softly before gently taking a hold of the woman's leg, just above the area that was dressed.
Carefully, she began taking off the strip of fabric, unwinding up from the woman's ankle while simultaneously wrapping it around her own hand to keep it neat and out of the way. This way she wouldn't have to clear up a bundle of free flowing fabric once she finished, it would just be a neat bundle that could either be thrown away, cleaned and reused, or cleaned and sold, depending on what the Catholicon preferred to do.
She briefly looked up at the woman as the bandage finally came free of her leg, and when she was satisfied that the woman was comfortable, she inspected the wound. It had mostly scabbed over aside from one part that was still bleeding slightly, but look clean. It was relatively dry despite being wrapped in damp bandages, and it looked heathy. There was no pus to indicate infection and the sides of the wound weren't red or raised. It looked as though the woman would be free to go home soon, once a doctor had checked her over. It didn't even seem as though Deliath would have to clean it or use any poultices on it,
"Well, it looks like you're healing very well. I'd be surprised if the doctors kept you in much longer!" she said, a smile on her face, as she took the sponge and dipped it in the warning, gently rubbing it over the area around the wound to clear the dried blood and leave the skin clean. Then she grabbed the clean strip of fabric and began gently winding it around the woman's ankle, tying it off once the wound was covered and enough pressure was applied.
"Does that feel okay or is it too tight?" she asked the woman, eagerly awaiting her response.
"It's okay." she said quietly and Deliath smiled again.
"A doctor should be coming to check on you in the hour, so if you just take your time to relax, and I'll keep checking on you until then. If you need anything at all, something to drink or speak, just call for me." Deliath smiled and watched as the woman nodded before she straightened as much as her hunchback would allow before leaving the woman to see who she would next be seeing.

Word Count1093 words
1407 words left to go

⚶ ⚶ ⚶ ⚶ ⚶

Box code by Orakan
Any speech in bold is Common
"Fratava" || "Shiber"
Anything in italics are thoughts
Deliath
Read profile for details of hiatus

Words: 73363
Joined roleplay: August 26th, 2016, 3:32 pm
Race: Human, Mixed