Open Through the Grapevine

Rumors are on the move

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

Through the Grapevine

Postby Minnim on March 10th, 2017, 7:20 pm

10th of Spring, 517

Minnim slouched against the dock, his fingers tapping impatiently on the post nearest him.

He knew that the Ravosalas were busy most days, but he had never had such trouble getting ahold of one as he did now. It was as if everyone in the city wanted to get out and about at the exact time he had to go out shopping. It was little more than inconvenient, but it was enough to irritate the Nuit.

It only added insult to injury that just in front of where Minnim stood, a man was standing on one of the small boats with an oar in his hands, laughing and chatting with his previous patron.

"Nah, nah, don't you worry about it." He said loudly, "Weather's beautiful and the day is young, thank Rhysol! I got time to kill. Fact, we might as well go out for a drink soon, you think?"

Really? Minnim rolled his eyes to himself. Then, before his ride could get away, he stepped forward and put a cold hand on the man's shoulder.

"If you wouldn't mind, I do have real business to attend to...elsewhere." Minnim nodded at the boat pointedly.

The ferryman jumped in his skin, whipping his head around to stare at the dead hand. Spying the Nuit's equally dead expression, the ferryman gave in quickly.

"Alright, alright." The ferryman shrugged off Minnim's hand. "I dunno what you're so in a rush about, but I s'pose that isn't the important part anyway..."

The prompt was hardly subtle, as the ferryman raised his brow in question. They were always out for gossip. Though Minnim usually didn't like to indulge the Ravosala drivers, or anyone in particular, he knew that his own actions today were rather unexciting, and harmless to share. And if he shared, he might get something in return.

Minnim held out a hand and dropped the 8 gold fare in the outstretched hand. "I need to go collect some more materials for my weavings." He said shortly. "Azure Reflections. Noble District."

The ferryman stepped to the side with a flourish, allowing Minnim to climb into the plush seat of the boat. Then, the oar hit the water, and they were off.

Word Count371
Minnim
Old Soul

Words: 42496
Joined roleplay: September 15th, 2015, 3:27 pm
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Through the Grapevine

Postby Minnim on April 13th, 2017, 1:23 am

The ride was naturally slow, which meant even the short trip was rather long. However long it might have been, the ferryman knew his craft well, and knew exactly how to fill any length of silence.

"Azure Reflections, huh? How's that crazy Kelvic doing?" He asked.

"Dull as ever." Minnim turned to face the water, hoping to cut off the conversation with his body language. Of course, he had no such luck.

"Ha! I love that kid, you know? Like he's my own pet almost. And I don't know what Alira would do without him either. She doesn't act like she cares, but you know she does."

The Ravosala swung down a corner, wrapping around the docks and arriving near the marketplace. Naturally, the ferryman had something to say about it.

"Oh, Rhysol's eye- I'm hungry! Do you mind if I swing by the People's Market? They have all kinds of good food and some is even fresh."

Minnim was ready to interrupt (and nearly ready to try his hand at hypnotising the man into silence) when he tacked an interesting tidbit on to the statement.

"I also heard there's a lady with white hair who sells water that'll make you dream up your future!"

Minnim raised his eyebrows at the man (he never had mastered the art of raising one). "Dream up your future? What do you mean?" He asked.

The ferryman's eyes twinkled with mischief as the ravosala pulled up next to the marketplace. "Sorry, sir. Here we are. People's Market. If you wanted to chat a little longer, I might be willing to hang around with a little incentive..." The man winked and held out a shaking hand, miming jingling change.

Minnim huffed and stood up, causing the ravosala to rock precariously. "I suppose I'll just have to hire someone else to take me to Azure Reflections." He grumbled. Just as he had suspected, the ferryman wanted no such thing.

"Ah, ah, don't be so hasty, now. I'll take you where you need to go. Sit down, sir, and I'll go pick us up some pastries to eat on our way. What do you say?"

Minnim waved a hand dismissively and stepped out of the boat. It had been fun to barter with the ferryman, but in the end, it wasn't worth it. "I will get my own pastry, thank you."

Word Count394
Minnim
Old Soul

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Through the Grapevine

Postby Minnim on April 14th, 2017, 7:21 pm

It wasn't really a pastry Minnim was after at all. It never had been, as he could not benefit from eating anything in the People's Market. So, as soon as the rush of petty spitefulness expired, he was immediately bored.

Leaving behind the Ravosalas, Minnim wandered through the market aimlessly. As he did so, snippets of conversation passed him by.

"Did you hear about the baby?"

"I couldn't even look at him by the time we were done."

"Ten gold for that?! Wasn't such a swindle since Yshul last walked the land!"

None of it was quite as interesting as the mention of a future sight. Minnim began to wonder if he had made a mistake, leaving the gossip monger behind. Luckily for the Nuit, though, Ravok had plenty more fish in the sea.

"She's absolutely gorgeous. White hair, shines in the sun like nothing you've ever seen. I swear to Rhysol, I can't even remember what she sells."

Minnim paused, mulling over the comment. White hair... Changing course abruptly, he veered towards the speaker.

"This woman, where is she?" He asked flatly.

The man laughed. "Her stall is just down that way. Listen, though. No offense, but you don't stand a chance, old man." Another laugh chased Minnim as he turned to walk in the indicated direction. He'd be damned if he didn't follow this- the most interesting turn of events all season.

Before he could even consider which pathway to turn down next, from between two stalls came a long-bodied, flowing woman.

Her white hair was dazzling, and a mere glance gave Minnim's still heart a jump. Although he had lost his fertility long long ago, he had a male body. And a man could always dream.

Upon spotting him, a slow smile emerged on her face. The woman held out a hand to greet him, and Minnim accepted the invitation to move forward. She opened her mouth and spoke in the softest, smoothest voice, so hypnotic that Minnim almost didn't catch what she was saying.

Then, it registered.

"Would you like to buy some fish tacos?"

"Wh- excuse me?"

Word Count352
Minnim
Old Soul

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes