New player, question about caravans and Syrilas lore

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Postby Ali Rhys on May 1st, 2017, 4:45 pm

I want my character to start out having been kicked out of Syrilas and being forced to grab a caravan out of the city. The problem is I understand guards tend to kick people out without any time to gather their stuff, which would mean that my character would be out there with no belongings and only a little money and have none of the preparations usually needed to travel. I don't want to modify my character to start out with a backpack, etc... instead of a home since that detracts from the "forced out of home" thing I'm going for. Do you think there's a workaround I can use (or an option I hadn't considered) or is this an unfeasible way to start a character?
Ali Rhys
Player

Words: 1977
Joined roleplay: May 1st, 2017, 4:07 pm
Race: Human

Postby Elin on May 1st, 2017, 4:56 pm

For starting housing there's 3 things you have a choice off
That's the house (20x20 with furniture), the travellers pack which is the horse and all of that stuff
Then there's the cash in option that gives you 500GM
You could take that option and prior to starting threading you could buy a wagon/caravan and the oxen, and a yoke which would leave you with over 300GM
You'd still have a decent amount of money, but if you wanted to get rid of it, then there are ways that I'm sure you could come up with
I'm also fairly certain that you could live without taking the full 500GM
But remember that seasonal expenses have to be covered, and it sounds like you'd need the poor option, which is 45GM per season

(If I've got this right, that is)
Last edited by Elin on May 1st, 2017, 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exam week
Very likely to be inactive until the 27th
Sorry to everyone I'm in a thread with, but I'll be on when I need respite from studying

~
Elin
Player

Words: 97730
Joined roleplay: March 11th, 2017, 4:50 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Postby Prophet on May 1st, 2017, 4:58 pm

You can write anything into your back story so long as it fits with the lore. Maybe fast forward away from being kicked out and have that be a line item in the history as opposed to your starting point. This will allow you to begin like normal but still have that bit of drama. Hope this helps. Feel free to jump in chat for answers or continue to post here. That is all.
Prophet
Cannibal of Faith

Words: 816271
Joined roleplay: January 16th, 2016, 5:18 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Artist (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Ali Rhys on May 1st, 2017, 5:45 pm

Thanks to you both! I think I'm going to take the cash-in option and show up at Zeltiva. I'm still going back and forth between writing a story with a caravan or just showing up at the city gates, but that's mainly because I can't figure out whether I'll have a good chance to roleplay with other players on the road or whether it's more likely I'll just be writing the story myself. Regardless I really appreciate the time you took to help me, you guys have been really helpful.
Ali Rhys
Player

Postby Karyk on May 1st, 2017, 5:57 pm

Just know, Zeltiva is currently closing, and will not be available for play next season unless a new ST pops up suddenly. This character of mine is currently leading a caravan to Syliras right now with 5 other PCs.
Follow your heart, and the plot will follow.
Karyk
Player

Words: 273057
Joined roleplay: April 4th, 2017, 4:34 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Ali Rhys on May 1st, 2017, 6:03 pm

Thanks for the tip, I guess it's Riverfall for me then. RE: Seasonal Expenses: I can't seem to find the page for that. Is there any way somebody could point it out to me? I'm also confused about income- how do I earn it?
Ali Rhys
Player

Postby Elin on May 1st, 2017, 6:05 pm

Seasonal Expenses are found in the price list, right at the bottom :)
Price List

As for income, you can find the details of different jobs near the seasonal expenses in the price list

In order to get you're character a job, you must request said job from a storyteller
Most cities have a job request Thread, and if they don't, you use the storyteller office :)
Exam week
Very likely to be inactive until the 27th
Sorry to everyone I'm in a thread with, but I'll be on when I need respite from studying

~
Elin
Player

Words: 97730
Joined roleplay: March 11th, 2017, 4:50 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Postby Ali Rhys on May 1st, 2017, 9:56 pm

I have one more question I hope none of you mind. I'm thinking about making my character be mildly addicted to Apple Sauce (is that really what it's called?). How does this factor into my living expenses?
Thank you all for answering.
Ali Rhys
Player

Postby Dove Brown on May 1st, 2017, 10:04 pm

I would think that you pay for the Apple Sauce seperately, on top of your standard seasonal expenses.

Seasonal expenses cover the everyday living costs that are in the background of your character's life (food, heating, lighting). Anything else is paid for seperately including rent, meals out that you thread about, drugs, drinks, etc.
Very busy at work. May not be around much for a while.
Threads: 3/3

Dove Brown
Keeping my head, my backbone, and my heart

Words: 181194
Joined roleplay: July 30th, 2015, 9:36 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Mizahar Mentor (1)
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)