PM to join Forward onto dusk (Karyk)

A prelude to the storm

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

Forward onto dusk (Karyk)

Postby Hwyn on June 4th, 2017, 8:31 am

Summer 68 morning.

It was a glum day? It was a glum day. I was not going to be a glum day! It might be a dark cloudy day, that did not mean it had to be a bad day, swallowing back the pessimism that plagued him Hwyn shook his head he had more freedom, but he didn’t know what to do with it, it was odd having his leash loosened a bit, he’d been waiting for it to tighten back up and drag him back to his master, though such had yet to happen. Looking through his closet he frowned he had more option than before but a grand total of 4 outfits was still meagre for his own grand ambitions. It was warm outside hot almost but the clouds spoke of rain, though it never rained hard in Ravok, so perhaps it’d be fun to do a rain themed performance.

Dressing in the blue dancers outfit that Eva had bought for him the season prior. The revealing outfit was something he didn’t wear too often at first he’d only worn it when Eva asked him too though he’d grown more confident with the exposure with the continued occasional use, the fact that with the revealed flesh so too were the scars that crisscrossed his back deeply, he’d decided that he didn’t need to hide them so much anymore, after she’d said they were possibly attractive in there own way. It was perhaps something that only she thought, her being the… person she was, but it bolstered his confidence otherwise. Brushing the knots from his blond hair that now reached halfway down his back Hwyn hummed to himself the soft bars of the melody he’d learned from the sailors. It was.. What’d they call it? A Shanty, though he didn’t value perhaps singing it the melody was easy and emulating it into his violin hadn’t taken much effort. Though he craved recognition for having learned it. So his plan had been to head out to the pier, it was a shame the weather might hold up but he’d already decided he was going to play.

So when he’d finished fussing over his appearance he finally left the manor still feeling like the abode was watching him leave ready to consume him should he stretch his leash too far. The walk from the rich district to the docks was a bit long but the air was clean if… intense the calm air was charged with the static that came before a storm, even in ravok it felt like something titanic was coming. When he finally made it to the docks he could see it, on the horizon, a thunderhead of immense proportions approached like a dark black blot on the horizon threatening to consume everything, Hwyn wondered for a moment if it might reach the city, the fact that this cities deity still stopped storms from hitting was something he still had a hard time wrapping his mind around. Walking out to the longest pier Hwyn Stared at the approaching storm interested to see what it would do when it reached the lake, would it part around it? Would it lay waste like it had once done to sunberth? Either way, he wanted to see it.

Pulling forth his violin he began to play, it wasn’t perhaps the smoothest or most song in his repertoire but it felt… right, appropriate to the moment as it were. It was as if the song was building suspense, a prelude to the storm. Flowing with the music Hwyn swayed to and fro, not so much dancing as he was moving with the flow, his song accompanied by the choppy waves that churned against the pier, all becoming one in the oppressive breeze, air music water and storm, Hwyn was not any part of the equation he was simply a tool to release the violins voice.

inspiration for music :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvrpQSKtlUI
Hwyn
Soul endowed plushie

Words: 275288
Joined roleplay: May 3rd, 2015, 1:26 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) Donor (1)

Postby Karyk on June 8th, 2017, 2:01 pm

Karyk awoke to the rising sun streaming into his room and onto his face. Eyes creeping open, slowly, almost painfully, as the headache that had been sleeping with him, burst forth. Karyk groaned loudly. A small, smug female voice spoke from across the room, "Ya deserve it. Comin' home drunk as a dolphin. Least ya didn't forget food, and tucked us in this time." Karyk lulled his head over to the side seeing Sharay sitting at the writing desk. "What are ya doin' firebug?"

"Makin' ya a to-do list since its your day off. Ya get all this done, and ya can go get as drunk as ya want, I don't care. If ya don't though, ya ain't gettin' in this room tonight. Understand me, Uncle?"

Annoyance crept in first, as Karyk sat up, tossing the blanket off him and onto the twins that were still pretending to be asleep in bed. But Karyk could hear that their breathing had changed. As he looked back over at Sharay, her eyes glaring back at him as she moved out from the desk and handed him a list in her pristine, perfect handwriting.

Bread
Cheese
Fish
Milk
Fruit and Veggies
Books, blank
Books, recipe
Charcoal
Quill
Ink
Sewing kit
Buttons
Dresses for me
Trousers and Shirts for the boys
Clothes for you (You stink all the time)
Soap
Night gowns for all of us
A hair ribbon
Candy
A backpack

As Karyk read the list, mouthing the words aloud, slowly, he felt the annoyance replaced by guilt. These were necessities for the kids. Necessities he'd neglected, and it took a twelve year old girl who was now growing up too quickly to tell him. What in the hell was he doing? She could muscle through it, why not him? She was so much like her mother... like his own mother...

He couldn't believe that Natya, and the little ones, were gone.That it was his fault, for allowing them on this journey, for not keeping the caravan together as a whole. He should've gone south to Riverfall. He'd led them down the wrong path. He killed them.

A snap of fingers woke him out of it, "Oy, focus. Get the shyke, come home. Do whatever ya want after, okay?"

Karyk nodded, dressing in his ragged, but clean clothes, courtesy of the women that did the laundry here. He grabbed his pack, leaving the kids some coins, they knew the drill. As he left, he caught eyes with one of the women that work there, and she gave him a clearly judgmental stare. Everyone here must've known about his drinking, about his failing to care for the kids properly. He really needed to get his act together. For them.

Karyk held the list in hand, trying to figure out where to head first. Catching a Ravosalo, he asked the man's thoughts. "Well, I recommend the Odds and Ends first. It's close, gets most of what you want." Karyk nodded, and the man took them that way.

As they approached a pier, Karyk could hear music playing. Getting closer, he saw an oddly dressed young girl playing some sort of instrument. As the ravosala pulled up, the ravosalaman shot the girl a dirty look, "You best not be driving away customers with that racket of yours."

Karyk glared at the man, chastising a little girl for no good reason, "Attitude like that drives away more than this lass ever would. She's just a kid." Karyk tossed the man the coins, making sure they landed in the bottom of the boat, just to mildly inconvenience the man. He stepped off the boat, standing on the pier near the girl, "Don't bother waitin'. I'll find a different one."

The man grumbled and pushed off, leaving the pair on the pier. Karyk sat down against one of the dock poles, looking over at the child. "Please, don't stop on his account."
Follow your heart, and the plot will follow.
Karyk
Player

Words: 273057
Joined roleplay: April 4th, 2017, 4:34 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Hwyn on June 8th, 2017, 2:44 pm

Forward onto dusk

Ridicule, perhaps deserved, but it was hard to take criticism in stride, tough flesh gave way to a tender soul that words could slice deeper than the whip. Words could flay the soul like a sword the flesh. Perhaps it was fair, his mistress had liked his music, though perhaps that hadn’t defined it as good he’d grown used to silence and subtle praise. His tune halted with the cynical remark, his fingers tightening over strings drawing forth a subtle hiss. He didn’t dare look behind him even as another voice joined the fray, this one sympathetic. Perhaps there would have been a time he appreciated it but nothing comes without a price. The last kindness he’d received in this city had been payed for with his freedom and a permanent brand on his chest.
He stood his posture stiffening even as the boat left, he was now in the company of a stranger who bid him continue. Not looking to the stranger Hwyn sighed exhaling a long held breath letting it flow from his lungs his form loosening as he seemed to visibly shrink his meagre confidence cracked by the carless words of a stranger. His own weakness clarified so easily. Letting the song resume Hwyn tuned out the world, for his own sanity he let the sloshing water and howling wind drown out the world slowly drawing forth the sad tune to it’s somber close. Looking out the the lake and the thunderhead beyond Hwyn’s colorful eyes sadly gauged the approach of the storm the greatest of the mountain like clouds splitting as they approached the town, only a light rain would be dousing the city while the shores would be hammered with the rage meant for this perfect city.

“A city… where it never storms… it’s always warm and the water is always clear and clean… when I was little… I don’t think I would have believed it existed… but.. now I’m here and I still wonder if it’s real…”

Sitting down looking out into the lake Hwyn stared at his reflection the figure looking back at him smiled grimly. He didn’t know what he wanted anymore he was confused, when his life had been dominated by his master he’d had the security of constancy, every day spent with the same person, but then the orphanage had claimed him and he’d never been told why, did his master no longer want him? Was he forgotten? He hope Eva was okay, that she was eating properly and not drinking herself to death. He had come to terms with the fact that he missed her, the person who’d claimed him. Even if she’d branded him and taken from his everything, she’d always wanted him, and accepted him, now he was… nothing.
“I.. don’t have anything to offer to this city, accept my music…. It hurts to think even that’s not wanted.. ya know.. you shouldn’t waste time defending.., you.. shouldn’t bother over me, I’m just a lowly musician.”
Hwyn
Soul endowed plushie

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Karyk on June 9th, 2017, 11:32 pm

Karyk watched the young girl, her face grim, clearly down trodden from the man's insult. It reminded him of the look that Sharay sometimes wore, when something reminded her of her mother and sisters, and yet she tried to hide it beneath strength. His niece was probably taking it the hardest, and yet handling it the best. Karyk wished he were as strong as that twelve year old bundle of fire. At least he was trying to improve now, he couldn't rely on a child to take care of him and the boys and herself. It was selfish. He needed to find a way to thank her for being so strong, for doing what he was failing to do.

As the music continued, Karyk found it soothing to his grieving soul. Following the child's eyes, he saw the girl looking out over the lake, not seeming to fixate on anything in particular. Karyk looked out over the storm cloud heading their way, watching it start to split in two. Well that was odd. Zeltiva had plenty of storms, and he'd never seen one act like that.

Karyk listened to the words the child spoke, clearly a song or poem of some sort. They were pleasing, though he wondered if the bit about never storming was true or not. He doubted it. It didn't matter where you lived, it stormed everywhere. It still made him wonder how these ravosalas functioned in a storm. They'd toss their occupants and break against the platforms and docks in even a moderate storm. It made no sense.

Once more listening to the girl, clearly in a bad place, Karyk decided to try and help this girl. If he could do this, even a bit, he knew he could help his own adopted children. And himself. He'd be satisfied if he could just get this girl to smile. Karyk's tired line filled face cracked into a light smile at the girl, "Sure ya do lass. You're young, ya still got the world to offer, and the world to be given."

With that, Karyk pulled himself up, a foot and a hair taller than the young girl, "I always like a good song, so ya ain't unwanted. And what I do wit' my time is my own problem, ain't yours." He stepped closer, before bending over a bit, and putting a massive hand on the girl's shoulder gently, "An' ya might be short, but ya ain't lowly, Miss Musician."

Then he stood back up to full height, an idea coming to mind. This girl was maybe a bit older than Sharay was, and was dressed in fancy clothes, far fancier than anything that could be found on East Street back home. "Ya actually could 'elp me wit' somethin' if ya wanna. I 'ave a niece a bit younger than ya, and she could use some new clothes. Ya clearly have nice taste with them there fancy lookin'... whatever those are. Mind helpin' me find somethin' for her? I ain't got a clue what lasses here like."
Karyk
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Hwyn on June 10th, 2017, 9:48 pm

Forward onto dusk

Optimism is a rather gross condition some people get infected with. The only truth of the world is that everyone was in pain, acting to the contrary didn’t make you strong, it made you a liar. The man spoke on kind words but they did little to Hwyn, he was settled on melancholy, it was an easy emotion to maintain as it was easy to maintain an aloof air and not feel anything rather than allow one’s hopes to climb for them to be dashed. So he listened to the man speak but didn’t dein to react for a moment weighing the weight of the man’s words slowly. It was an uncharacteristic attitude for a Ravokian, to live for Ravok and for oneself is the prevailing temperament, selfishness and zealotry were the easy options, anything else was a scam….. Or somebody working towards ending up like you...

“You… are you from Ravok? I uhm…. I never mind… I… I’ll help ya, but uhmm silks like these probly won’t be in stock any time soon, these were imported by my mast-Friend… so I hoep you didn’t have your sights set on something like this… Uhm.. Odds and ends is your best bet unless you’ve got a lot of money to burn.. It’s not bad but the merchants ring is… for people who… have more than they need…”

Finally turning to the man Hwyn bowed, he hoped the man wouldn’t ask about his eyes I mean, he wouldn’t be surprised about it, but it was always a conversation he hated. Shrugging off the negativity Hwyn put on his mask of Neutrality pointing the direction towards odds and ends.

“I.. I mean fashion isn’t really that hard, Ravoks a city of dark colors from the aristocracy to the laymen, it’s.. it’s generally best not to stand out in…. in my opinion, like uhm… even the ebonstyfe wears black, so I’d recommend grays blacks and dark blues… I’m… I’m really probly a bad example to follow… I.. I… It’s not really important. So… is it just clothes you are after? I mean.. that’s fine. I.. I’ll lead the way then.”

Hwyn hated talking… it was not something that ever came easy to him. But then again nothing came easy to him his life was the very essence of learning things the hard way, though he was aware that he brought it on himself. Shrugging Hwyn Frowned as he finally became aware of the chill in the air brought in by the headwinds of the storm, even with the warmth the lack of sunlight due to thick clouds brought about a somber air to the place. He wondered when the rain would start if it did at all, it really was a mighty squall that was about to hit.
Hwyn
Soul endowed plushie

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Karyk on August 3rd, 2017, 10:09 pm

Karyk held a slight grin as the girl accepted his request, though it did create a few questions. The first was as to why this girl seemed so nervous? She'd already been out here alone, so Karyk assumed that she knew the area well enough to trust it, and was a fairly independent spirit. The second was this word. Mast-Friend. What in the hell is that? He'd lived in the largest port in the world and had never once heard that term. Was that a good friend? Perhaps it was an extra sturdy friend, one that helped support you finding your direction.

That must be it. And he'd never heard of it because this was a lake town, so it didn't travel to other ports. Following the girl's points, he'd heard her suggestion of Odds and Ends. Listening to the girl stammer, Karyk decided that maybe the girl just wasn't much of a talker. Much after his own heart it seemed. Karyk would much rather work with his hands than talk about something.

Karyk felt the chill in the air from the oncoming storm. Storms were always a strange thing for Karyk. They were both the scariest thing for anyone from a port town, everyone had family that sailed, and they were also a testament of faith in Laviku, as well as the craftsmanship of the shipwrights. A good ship, and crew, always weathered the storm. But they still always brought worry.

And yet here, Karyk had no sailors to worry about, no ships that were his own. It was an odd disconnection for the man. He had the trade skill, but there was just that missing personal investment like he'd had back home. Karyk followed after the lass to the eye grabbing storefront of Odds and Ends. An impressive looking shop to be sure. Karyk paused for a moment as a wave of nausea washed over him. His eyes blinked rapidly for a moment, unsure as to why he was feeling this out of nowhere. He hadn't eaten much, but wasn't hungry either. And he didn't think he was ill. But he muscled through it for now.

Opening the door, offering the way for the girl, before following inside. The shelves were bursting at the seams from floor to ceiling with pretty much anything one could ask for. He'd definitely have to come back with the kids. Well, with Sharay. The twins would wreak havoc on this place. Little shykes.

Karyk waited for her to continue leading the way, choosing to not make more conversation to make her more uncomfortable.
Karyk
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Hwyn on August 4th, 2017, 9:45 am

Title and Date

Why did he have to do it, he was no expert on the city he didn’t even get out much, and the one time he does get out he ends up having to guide some tourist around. Frowning and shaking his head he sighed, he shouldn’t be angry he liked helping people for the most part but he was decidedly beginning to feel unwell and the presence of strangers did little to assuage the ill feeling in the pit of his stomach.

Leading the man to the storefront Hwyn was quiet unsure of what to say to the man and unsure that anything he had to say would be of any use to a traveler, don’t trust the locals? Hey the rich will enslave you if you aren’t careful? Tidbits like that weren’t exactly smiled about by anyone who would overhear them and if a black sun member heard such “heresies” he’d be worse off than being a slave or… an Orphan thing. Shrugging disinterestedly Hwyn shuffled along until they reached the store front but by the time they’d done that sweat was already beading on his brow and he had almost no interest in doing anything other than going home and sleeping off whatever this terrible feeling was.

When the man offered to open the door for him he waited outside bowing deeply.

“My A-apologies sir, B-but I’m feeling q-quite unwell, and…. And I’m probably hardly qualified to help you as well as the p-people that work here are… So… I’m s-sorry, but I must be off.”

Clutching his stomach almost certain he was going to hurl Hwyn backed away slowly looking for the nearest alley to relieve the contents of his stomach. Waving weakly Hwyn turned on his heal frantic to find an alley. To his relief there was another business nearby with a small boardwalk to the side of it, secluded enough that nobody should stumble upon him retching.

With a target in mind he shuffled away trying to focus on anything that wasn’t the fact that the contents of his stomach were about to be in the lake. Hardly making it around the corner of the building it was probably only thirty seconds or so and he was on his knees his gorge tainting the water of the lake beneath him as he tried to spare his clothing the ravages of the experience leaning out over the water on his knees.
Hwyn
Soul endowed plushie

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Karyk on August 6th, 2017, 2:03 am

Karyk's smiled dropped a bit as the girl stuttered nervously, before excusing herself. Poor lass. Karyk wondered what had happened to her to make her such a nervous wreck. Was she neglected? Shiress had told him how Sharay had broken down that night he'd gotten too drunk. Was this something like that? Karyk felt a pang of guilt as he let the girl walk away.

"T'anks for the 'elp lass. 'ope ya do well."

As she hurriedly scurried away, Karyk felt the nausea dissipate, but just assumed it was stepping into the warm air of the busy shop. It was quite cluttered, but it didn't take long for Karyk to find a few of the things on his list. He paid the coin, and put them away in his pack.

Leaving the shop, he felt the nausea beginning to creep back into his stomach. He groaned a bit, starting to worry he was genuinely ill. Southwinds don't get ill, it was their pride. He decided to try to walk to get some air, maybe feel better, but as he went around the building it got worse, rapidly. It felt like something was trying to punch its way out of his stomach, and a hand was clutched over his mouth as panic quickly set in as he looked for a place to puke.

Not looking, the bile rose, and the vomit spewed in a violent shower as Karyk hunched over, unstable. The noises and smell that came from the man were god awful, he'd had a large breakfast of fish and eggs, his eyes screwed shut involuntarily. Once it was done, his eyes cracked open, his knees wobbly from the violence of it all, still feeling quite nauseated. That was when he'd noticed the girl from before right in front of him. Being so small, he'd not noticed her, and she'd been right in line for the vile deluge.

Still unstable, Karyk lurched forward, bumping into the drenched girl hard, knocking her toward the water. Karyk flailed trying to catch his own balance and ended up falling backwards hard onto his ass with a hard thud. "Petchin' 'ell, the shyke," and many other obscenities escaped the shipwrights aggravated maw.
Karyk
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Hwyn on August 23rd, 2017, 2:37 am

Forward onto dusk

One would think that a slave, and older child in an orphanage, especially one from sunberth would have a tolerance to grime and all manner of vile things. However, time in a city as clean as Ravok has a way of letting you forget how nasty the rest of the world can be. So when a spew of Vomit baptized him in grime his first reaction was bewilderment and disgust as he gagged unable to wretch any more than he already had, but whoever was assaulting him so cruelly was not satisfied to simply defile him he pushed him into the water. Flailing for a moment before he fell only woth enough time to let out a startled cry before he met the dark water that was lake ravok.

Then the world was dark muffled by the sounds of water and his own panicked cry cut off by a maw full water. He didn't know how to swim, and his body aware of this fact was unable to calm as he flailed beneath the surface unsure of what to do. He began to fill his lungs scream for air as he moved wildly about. As he began to feel all was lost his hand hit something hard. He could feel his knuckles get bloodied by the rough timber of a support beam. Latching onto the beam with all his might he ignored his throbbing hand and hauled his head above water choking out a veritable flood of water that his lungs had nearly taken on.

Heaving and shaking he clung to the timber the adrenaline from the fall making his body shake as he drew ragged breaths too fast. He felt like death, and he could smell it too, his time in the water hadn't been enough to clean him well and while it wasn't too high on his priorities he felt that this had to be the worst thing that had happened to him in a long time. It didn't help that he wasn't even sure who had attacked him. He didn't think he had that many enemies it was just malevolent he felt to assault him so cruelly. Ters welled in his eyes he didn't want to die, but whoever was above him on the docks had other ideas, clinging to the support beam he searched for an answer but found none easily coming to him. Thus the small boy shivered as he clung to the submerged pole trying to hide from his attacker above him.

“Please, just leave me alone, I'm hardly even worth killing whoever you are....”
Hwyn
Soul endowed plushie

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Karyk on September 2nd, 2017, 5:30 am

Karyk heard the splash, and the panicked cry of a child and immediately he scrambled up off his ass and stood up. Rushing toward the source of the noise, he saw the frenzied ripples emanating from nearer to the docks. Karyk then saw her, clutching a beam, wet, scared to death. His eyes saw chunks of egg and fish, as well as the pinkish-orange slime of his vomit in her hair and on her clothes and he suddenly realized what happened.

Dropping down to his knees, Karyk reached down. But the water was a bit too far. Karyk dropped down to his stomach and scooted further over the edge. He kept one hand grasping at the corner of the platform as he stretched down further and further for the girl. Hand dipping beneath the water, he grasped her just under the armpit. Karyk heaved her up, not realizing she was heavier than what he thought a girl her age might weight. He assumed her to be ten years old or so, surely she'd be less than this. Though maybe it was the water. But Karyk pulled and pulled, straining, huffing and pulling, using his core. With a grunt, he did a heavy heave to loosen the barnacled girl from the beam.

But this tossed him a bit unbalanced, and to keep from dropping the poor girl once more, Karyk had to reach out and grabbed her with his other hand as well, body still outstretched. He spread his legs for more balance as his torso was dragged a bit down below the plain. He looked the girl in the face, "Almos' gotchya." He tried to ignore the embarrassing muck that he'd spewed all over her.

He dipped her down to get some momentum, then heaved up and twisted as he raised her up and over the platform, rolling at the hip so that he sat upright. Setting the drenched girl down upon the wood, Karyk, quicker than he was proud of, to cover his own embarrassment at ruining this girl's day, spoke up.

"Ya're safe now lass. Didja see who done this to ya? If ya did, I'll go and teach 'em some manners."

OOCLet me know if I took a bit too much liberty with this
Karyk
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Next