Solo [Tuvya Sasaran] Out of Breath

Robin gets a sore experiance, and not the good kind.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

[Tuvya Sasaran] Out of Breath

Postby Robinson Gilli on July 5th, 2017, 11:40 am

517th Summer AV, 17th of Summer, 8th Bell

If the Kendoka Sasaran judged him skilled but lacking, the Tuvya would in turn judge him lacking but full of potential. Unlike and like the Kendoka the Tuvya Sasaran did not have the sound of wooden weapons but it did have the same zeal and amount of sparring one would come to expect. Its doors slid open rather than swung close, the walls were thinner than thicker but the air of purpose that permeated it was still the same as its fellow school.

When he’d arrived earlier and glanced about he could see all the punching and kicking thrown about, along with some grappling, tricky moves and some moves worthy of a Sunberth citizen in the mix of it all. However the one thing he’d notice after sitting about a while and just watching was one thing;

They were all different styles.

He had no names for them, he’d no points of their origin, if the Akalaks developed them or gathered them about. But for certain he was sure that of what he saw that for each group of Akalak’s training in a style, another was practicing one that was minutely different and somewhere else there was another that trained in one that deferred radically.

It was impressive to see.

Robin looked down to his own fists, specifically that of his knuckles, and felt rather self-aware that he’d hardly bloodied his knuckles the way the people here seemed to be doing. It was the epitome of manliness! It set a flame in his soul that spoke of mind-numbing training purely of the joy of polishing his skills! It spoke of the true romance that could only be spoken through a man’s two gods-given fists!

Yes, it spoke of a MAN’S ROMANCE!

He blinked as he realized at where his thoughts were going, and suddenly flinched as if his fists caught on fire. Much as he enjoyed polishing his skills, he didn’t want to tread on the road of fantastic epics and myth. He didn’t recall any but he knew they were larger than life to put it politely.

Still that flame within was still going and he’d stick to that rather than the other.

Thankfully he’d be focusing it soon enough and as he approached one of the Akalak’s, one who’d help with developing his physical endurance as movement. Indeed he found his thoughts interrupted by an Akalak placing a hand on his shoulder.

“Seen enough, have you?” Came the question, the Akalak literally looking down on him. Robinson gave a friendly nod, trying to hide the fact he was startled but the finger tapping at his side gave him away amongst other things.

Despite the firm expression there was a twinkle in the Akalak’s eyes, stifling a chuckle as he gave Robin a nod of his own “Good, good. Then come, we have a little test for you. An evaluation of your form and a… lesson? Yes a lesson” Came to cryptic words, which had Robin raising a brow.

’Why’s a bad feelin’ creepin’ up there?’
Languages spoken:

Common=fluent, Fratava=basic, Pavi=poor

"Is not that I dun wanna talk, is jus' that I'm not good at it"
Robinson Gilli
Merc Dog

Words: 88416
Joined roleplay: August 31st, 2014, 7:43 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Postby Robinson Gilli on July 6th, 2017, 6:44 am

He was taken to one of the Sasaran’s many training rooms, the padded floors feeling soft beneath his footsteps as he entered. Eyes darting around to notice the plainness of it as well as the training dummies. He actually rather liked it and found that it fit his image of the Akalak’s training preferences.

The Akalak instructor stood beside him, glad to see that Robin seemed to like the room before uttering one word that would have certainly brought anyone’s brows a shooting upwards.

“Strip” He said ever so casually as he began taking off his own shirt, revealing the typical physique of an Akalak warrior with toned abs and rippling muscles.

Robin’s brows did indeed shot up as the instructor expected, only for them to quickly furrow as he gave the man a flat look of accusation. Eyes twitching as he caught on to the joke. After all, it wasn’t the first time he had to take off article of clothing for training and this was merely par for the course and he wasn’t about to fall for a misconception.

“Aw, was thinking you’d fall for that” He said in reasonably fluent common, with only a hitch of an accent in his tone. He wasn’t visibly disappointed but Robin had the nagging feeling he was even as he took off his shirt revealing his not-as-defined musculature.

With a glance the instructor took the sight in, like a doctor looking for a cut and nodded slightly “Hmm… not entirely without physique, but only barely” He noted, standing in the center and motioning for Robin to stand before him to do the same.

“Now as I have said, this will be both a test and a lesson. Tell me, how familiar are you with physical exercises? Body building and the like?” Came the question.

Robin furrowed his brows again, mind scratching at thoughts in search for an answer “ I’ve me them body buildin’ tools at home, weights an’ what not I use from time to time” The last time being a year ago give or take

“I’m afraid that’s not what I asked, but I think its safe to assume not much?” He quirked a brow at Robin, who could only respond with an awkward shrug and a nod.

“Very well, then let me begin by explaining the general nature and we shall go on from there” He ran a hand through his hair, the instructor now gathering his own words for an explanation.

“In general terms, something that I believe you at least know, exercises are what we do to keep the body in a healthy shape, build our muscles and increase our stamina via the exertion of our body . Wysar has gifted our people with these bodies, and so it is our duty to keep it not only in shape but improve upon it with these exercises” The last part was spoken reverently, his eyes closed as his hands extended in expectation of a force unseen before opening them again, his tone now more firm.

“However, Wysar, father of our people, would also look upon kindly upon other species who would do the same. And so by teaching you I would do to you and myself an honor. As I have now given you a brief explanation of what physical exercise is, I shall move on to explaining the advantages alongside things you should be sure to avoid.

Robin mentally shrieked while his body paled. Of all the things he expected, he hardly expected this…

I ain’t comin’ ‘ere for a lecture, gods damn it all ’ He whined mentally, but alas here was about to hear another explanation and all he could do was either walk or bear it.

Of course, he chose the latter and already he regretted it
Languages spoken:

Robinson Gilli
Merc Dog

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Donor (1)

Postby Robinson Gilli on July 6th, 2017, 7:39 am

“The advantages of physical exercises, henceforth shall be called fitness, is many and what disadvantages exists are likely related to those with existing conditions” The instructor droned, that glint of humor gone and replaced with this educational sod that could probably go on and on.

Robin had to force himself not to start getting sleepy, he may have not gone to a school but he’d heard enough boring stories to know this was on a similar vein.

“The most important advantage is health, keeping diligent exercise means your body will be at less risk of getting sick, keeping your weight down, becoming less tired and overall live a longer life” he began to pace, and Robin couldn’t help but give a following gaze to maintain some form of attention.

“Along the same vein it also helps provide a positive and clear mind. Helping with ones focus and directing their life with more enthusiasm than they had before.” He then turnen his neck to look at Robin with a smirk.

“However, and judging by how your eyes seem to struggling to hold itself awake….” Robin couldn’t help but look away in innocence, his teeth lightly biting his tongue to withhold an insincere objection “…. That’s not what interests you. So I shall explain to you the advantages you seek”

He raised a his right arm and slapped its forcept “Strength and endurance, two things a warrior seeks when training. With strength you could hit harder than you have before and lifts things you didn’t think you could lift. With endurance you increase how long you last, how long you can take everything and still stand by the end of the day. To survive in this world a warrior needs both, and you my friend have come for just that!”

Robin grinned, that’s what he wanted to here. While he just barely got the gist of it at the beginning he was comprehending more of it now.

Then with an impish glint and another smirk, the instructor stopped him cold “But first, I should explain what you should avoid when training…”

And so that smirk of Robin fell. Oh he knew he had to be attentive for this part but oh he so wished they could just get on with it already.

‘S like a client gabbin’ an’ not getting’ to the juice of it, ‘cept this blue berry’s doin’ it for a laugh ’ He silently groaned, his finger tapping his thigh in a more irritated pace.

“Now, they say practice perfect. Which is true… but only in moderation” He began, resuming his pacing “And practice is simply training under another name in this context. The body is a wondrous thing, for hours a day it carries our weight and listens to the commands we give it through our brain so that we may carry out our tasks. But the body does not run on infinite energy, no, which is why must take caution to avoid training when exhausted”

Robin nodded at that, he liked to think he knew that much.

“When training the body without rest you risk undoing your own work. No, in fact you risk injuring it. Within our people it is not unheard of those who are forced to retire merely because they were overzealous with their regimes, their muscles torn and ruined by excessive exertion of their own muscles and even deaths. Thankfully it is rare but still a key reminder to rest when need be.”

“Uh…so ‘s like tirin’ a string on a bow?” Robin quiried and was rewarded with a nod.

“Yes, very much like that. Except a snapped bow string is more easily replaced. No, its more like your risking the limbs of the bow.” Robin grimaced, so it was that kind of risk “It would take time to repair if it could be repaired at all, and even then it might not be the same as it once was. Akin to a broken bone, which is another thing at risk if one doesn’t take caution to exercise proper”

He then clapped his hands “ Which brings us to our next bit, proper form. If you don’t follow the proper procedures and forms when training your body then you also further risk it to damage” He said seriously, gratified to see that Robin was now more attentive than ever.

“For example, it would be a shame to pull your shoulder and back muscles simply because you didn’t follow the proper method, correct? That would damage your ability as an archer” Robin paled at that, his fingers now twitching at the mere idea of being unable to shoot his precious bow

Who knew physical fitness had so many things to worry about?!

‘Ain’t me, that there’s fer sure’
Languages spoken:

Robinson Gilli
Merc Dog

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Donor (1)

Postby Robinson Gilli on July 13th, 2017, 11:50 am

And so it all began with stretching, or at least a form of warming up. For example Robin now found himself pushing himself with his right arm bent infront with a hand passed his face, his other hand gripping the elbow as he pushed back and forth in a repeated motion. At least, repeated enough that the instructor was confident that the muscles were loose enough to switch to the other arm to repeat.

Many of the warmups followed a similar process, with one having him leaving his body from the waist down stand straight as the upper half bent down with hands straight to reach for his toes, pushing down for a set before standing up straight with his arms raised as if reaching upwards. This was all in the name of readying his body for exercise apparently. It wasn’t’ quite strenuous although parts of his body that hadn’t found much use did show some protest to the treatment.

Soon they quickly moved onto a more strenuous aspect that involved running in place….. sort of. It was more that he lifted his legs up and down in a motion similar to walking up a particularly high step then reach for another which for some reason also involved to the rotation of his shoulder joints.

This was, again, all in the name of warming up. For Robin it felt like a surreal experience, though admittedly it did work his body even if some doubts lingered about its effectiveness. Of course he also had to remind himself WHY he needed it, for his entire life he only knew how to fight and to realize he wasn’t utilitizing his combat skills effectively was… disheartening to say the least.

‘s like fightin’ yer whole life wit’ only an arm, only ta find yer not doin’ real right without usin’ the other’ came the thoughts, summing for himself just what it felt like. Essentially it was a waste of skills. And unfortunately it was not just one thing that wasted much of his potential, lack of endurance, lack of unarmed, and just the lack of many things was detrimental to his entire abilities as a warrior.

“Alright then” Spoke the instructor, now standing still and so Robin did the same “We have warmed up enough, and I see there’s a bit of a sweat” He nodded in content “Now it’s time to begin with the more strenuous acts” And there was that glint again, and woe did Robin feel that he was in trouble…..
Languages spoken:

Robinson Gilli
Merc Dog

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Donor (1)