Solo [Café Fleurs] Almost at Home

A place of great comfort.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

[Café Fleurs] Almost at Home

Postby Oleander Soleran on July 21st, 2017, 9:49 pm

65. Summer 517
They spotted the sign from a ravosala while travelling from the employment centre to the inn: small and almost overgrown by the lush vegetation surrounding it. The ravosalaman was a cheerful individual and as soon as he had realized that they were no locals, he had insisted on giving them a small tour of “Rhysol’s paradise”, as he called the city. Back in Syliras, Rhysol’s name had been the curse upon a traitor’s lips. In Zeltiva, he was scarcely spoken about, but the name carried a certain gloom. It was different in Ravok: Rhysol was revered here – and Rhysol alone. As always, Oleander chose to keep his mouth shut about other people’s beliefs and practised his own in private. If Hortense had any concerns, she was smart enough not to voice them. Most citizens treated them with contemptuous disregard, save the ones craving their money – like this ravosalaman, who probably hoped for a generous tip.

“Curious”, Hortense remarked, leaning forward to decipher the words painted across the sign in a delicate hand, “how do they grow half a forest in the middle of a lake? And why?”

The smile across the ravosalaman’s face faltered for a tick as he attempted to steady his precariously swaying vessel, but it returned when Hortense sat back again. Oleander felt a little nauseous, but could not tell whether it came from the way the Ravokian looked at his sister or the shaking of their boat. His own gaze followed Hortense’s pointed finger to the green front – ivy and vines wound through the fence and climbed the sign, cherry laurel, privet and a few bushes Oleander did not recognize claimed space and some water-loving species crawled from the terrace into the black water of Lake Ravok.

“That’s Café Fleurs”, the ravosalaman explained once he had the ravosala back under control, “It’s cosy. They have tea and food.” He steered the boat onwards, but Hortense stopped him: “I think we need a break.”

“Yes”, Oleander agreed, “why don’t you drop us off here?” The café sounded promising – like a place he and his sister might both enjoy, which was a rare combination. The ravosalaman did not look very happy about it, but he obliged. He seemed to memorize their faces while they paid him and a shiver ran down Oleander’s spine. He quickly pulled Hortense to the shore and both of them watched as the ravosalaman turned his vessel around and departed; only then did they turn their backs on him and focus on the café. Behind its curtains of green, it was light-flooded and beautiful. A small terrace sat in front of the building’s entrance, shielded from passing ravosalas by greenery. A few citizens sat with a steaming cup and a pastry, deep in conversation and paying the twins no mind. As usual, Hortense was the first to peak into the actual café, pulling Oleander along as she went. The interior was a little darker, but no less comfortable. Herbal scents welcomed Oleander in, rose and mint and cinnamon and multiple things he wanted to find out about. Hortense’s longing gaze was fixed on a strawberry turnover that was displayed in a spotlight position on top of a polished bar.

Light flooding in from the second terrace behind the café illuminated the face of the man behind the counter: It was pleasant and refined and belonged to a middle-aged man who introduced himself as Darnel, the café’s owner. Oleander ordered two pastries – a strawberry turnover and a blueberry muffin – and a “Lemon Bliss” for each of them (because he thought it sounded interesting) and they settled on the backside terrace with their plates and mugs, nestled in a corner underneath the red-and-green vines.

Oleander Soleran
"Herb Boy"

Words: 87933
Joined roleplay: February 5th, 2017, 2:59 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

[Café Fleurs] Almost at Home

Postby Oleander Soleran on May 5th, 2018, 9:33 pm

They settled down on opposite chairs, with Hortense looking inward towards the café. Oleander had a nice view of the plants and between them, on the glistening canals. Occasionally, when ravosalas drove close by the shore, the splashing of water could be heard over the chatter of the other guests.

“I was wondering”, Hortense said, resting her head on her hands and casting an absent-minded glance on the people ordering at the counter at that very moment, “if we should apply for citizenship. The city seems nice enough. I think I’ll let the cakes decide. If they’re half as good as those back home, I think I want to stay.”

“Hm”, Oleander mused, turning her words over in his own head. The city of Ravok was all nice and clean, much cleaner than Zeltiva. Anything that was too shiny on the outside, however, tended to hide nastier faces on the inside. Oleander was not the rule-breaking type, so he was unlike to make acquaintance with that sort of thing, but the city somehow left him tiptoeing, and he did not like that feeling. Hortense appeared to be less concerned, and he couldn’t tell whether she just didn’t feel the way he did or chose to ignore it. There was a fair chance that Ravok just suited her character more than he cared to admit. “I don’t think I’m ready to apply for citizenship yet”, he told her, but the arrival of their orders kept him from elaborating.

Hortense’s eyes lit up as the scent of strawberry foldover hit her nose. The pastry looked almost as good as it smelled, served with a pinch of powdery sugar on top, and Oleander’s muffin sported a couple of fresh blueberries, sweet and ripe. The tea blend, of course, was what interested him most – Hortense had ordered hers with mint, but Oleander always thought that particular taste too overpowering and had chosen a blend with rooibos instead. He took a sip and decided that the sparkle of lemongrass made this his new favourite beverage. Hortense seemed less thrilled. Oleander cast her a knowing glance before swapping their cups. The things he did for his favourite sister. “Mint too strong?”

“Yep.” Well, at least his twin senses still functioned.

They thanked the waitress and Oleander waited until she was gone. “If we’re going to stay”, he then said, “I will need to find work, and let’s be realistic, so might you.”

“Oh come on, Oleander,” Hortense teased, “you know as well as I do that I already pulled my own weight back home. I can sew pretty well, and that’s a skill that always pays off. Kids tear their clothes everywhere, even in the neatest of cities.”

He nodded. “You’re right. In Zeltiva, I helped a lady keep her garden neat one time, on top of doing our own. And you know what, I actually liked that. It was not what I originally had in mind, but it was fulfilling nonetheless. I don’t think I’ll apply for a herbalist position for the time being, I want to be a gardener for a little while longer. We’ll see, maybe I can even get a permanent position somewhere.”

“Permanent?”, Hortense asked, sounding a little dismayed, “but isn’t that absolutely boring, always seeing the same spot, watering the same plant all over again? Seems like a chore to me. Then again – you loved doing that at home.”

“I like the continuity, seeing the seed you plant grow into a flower, helping it flourish. There is fun in change, I agree, more spontaneous creativity, but staying in one garden, planning carefully – that’s what I want.”
Oleander Soleran
"Herb Boy"

Words: 87933
Joined roleplay: February 5th, 2017, 2:59 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook