Lakan and Gate Post questions!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Postby Rynvard on December 17th, 2010, 3:03 am

Two questions for the price of one thread! Mwahaha!

I've been mulling over a character concept in the back of my head for a few days now, and I came across the Akalak lore and thought, "Perfect!" So, while I don't like to impose on you awesome peoples, I must ask: what exactly IS a Lakan?

To clarify, I saw the picture, and also the part of the lore that says each Lakan is unique in appearance. Or maybe I read that wrong, and it's just saying that each Lakan is unique not in looks, but in spirit. In which case, skip to question dos! If not, then what restrictions are there on how "different" an individual's Lakan can look? For example, size, thickness, shape, etc. While I'm still on this line of thought, is there a write-up for Lakan or martial arts utilizing Lakan, or daggers in general?

Anywho, on to question two. Are newly created characters who've been living in a certain city their entire lives, and plan to start in the same city, required to post in the gate?
Rynvard
Where am I? Sunberth.

Words: 11002
Joined roleplay: December 10th, 2010, 4:35 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Siiri on December 17th, 2010, 4:28 am

I can only answer Question # 2 with certainty: No need. :)
Apologies to everyone I'm threading with, but it's like the Danaides for me right now.
==/==
"If it doesn't solve all your problems, maybe you're not using enough of it." - Violence
Siiri
Beast of Prey

Words: 521753
Joined roleplay: September 18th, 2009, 3:22 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Stitch on December 17th, 2010, 9:04 am

I honestly could not find an area in the Akalak entry that said the Lakan all look different. I did however find the following entry:

The Akalak Warrior is present at the time of the creation, and it is rumored that a part of their soul is imbued within the blade making these weapons sacred to the Akalak. No two Lakan are ever the same because of this creation process.

Is that perhaps what you read?

If you wish for your Lakan to vary slightly from what the picture shows, I don't foresee it being too much of a problem. I would definitely post at the Help Desk with a description of what you want your Lakan to look like, though. They would be able to flat out tell you if your idea is acceptable or not, or if physically unique Lakans are completely out the window! <333!

Hope this helps! <3
Stitch
Blind Man

Words: 498882
Joined roleplay: December 11th, 2009, 8:48 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 12
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Author (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (3) Advocate (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)
Thunderspork (1)

Postby Gossamer on December 17th, 2010, 9:18 am

The Lakan pretty much have the same shape and style. However, they are only forged by the Akalak and carried by the very Akalak that forges one. For a non-Akalak to have one, that person would have to have saved the life of the Akalak who then gifted their Lakan to the individual. It allows the Akalak to track the individual wherever they go.. because they do indeed have a piece of their soul.

You can also get a Lakan by murdering an Akalak or buying a Lakan on the black market from a murdered Akalak.

But non-Akalaks can't forge them and aren't supposed to own them. They must only be gifted.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Rynvard on December 17th, 2010, 10:13 am

Thank you for the clarifications and the quick answers! Stitch, that is indeed what I read. Gossamer, don't worry, I don't intend on letting Rynvard get his hands on a Lakan any time soon. =)
Rynvard
Where am I? Sunberth.

Words: 11002
Joined roleplay: December 10th, 2010, 4:35 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets