Solo Cracking the Code

Tierra gets a 'message' and tries to crack it.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

Cracking the Code

Postby Tierra on September 2nd, 2017, 4:14 pm

ooc :
This thread picks up immediately after Tierra's post in: An Unexpected Arrival

20 Fall 517

Sitting the paper animal down Tierra looked down at the jumbled letters she had written down. This had to be a clue! Taking pencil back she ran the tip of her pencil over and over again, trying to see patterns or something that would help crack the code. At first she see anything. On the what seems to have been the fourth time through the coded words she started to see at least one pattern.

The letters 'BLFI' were repeated in a number of places. She underlined them, it was a starting point the orphan thought. Once she underlined those four letters she saw that two of the groups were exactly the same, these she circledspoiler shows them in bold. She went back through the jumbled lettered now feeling that there really was a hidden message in the letters that were lied out before her.

Glancing up from cryptic message to paper animal she smiled, it seemed to be watching her every move. Occasionally it would come up and nudge her hand to keep going, as if to say not to get discouraged. A smile graced her face at the animal's desire for her to crack the code as much as she wanted to. It felt nice to have a friend, well as much as a friend as a small paper animal could possibly be. Shrugging off her jacket though the orphan tossed it down on the bed, not realizing that her key she had placed in the pocket last season had fallen out in pure sight of anyone. Her attention was back on the message, diving back into determining it's hidden message.

“C'mon c'mon there has to be a clue... Something that I am not seeing.” Tierra muttered, the blunt end of her pencil finding its way in between her teeth to chew on without much thought to it. Her eyes ran over the message several more times, “KIVKZIV BLFI HVOEVH IZELP GSV RMEVI...” Her eyes widened, she had found another clue! The letters V and I were repeated in combination of each other, she boxed these offall combinations of VI and IV are colored in yellow and paused. An odd sound had distracted her from the puzzle before and she looked around for the noise, it was the little animal creature eating something. Paper! It was eating paper, it had somehow found a strip of paper and started to somehow consume it, as it did though the girl could see the written words on it. It was her key!

“No no no!” she went to grab for at it trying to pull it out from the creature's mouth but was too late. The strip of paper had disappeared into the valley fold that constituted as it's mouth. “Give that back!” She picked it up and pulled at the folds, pulling it open. It was only paper after all there were no guts but what was revealed was something rather odd... Printed all over the paper in odd locations were the paired letters. AZ, BY, etc... But there was only 13 that she had counted. Thirteen pairs... Tierra set the paper animal down and thought about it, Thirteen pairs of letters. That makes sense, each letter is just its corresponding letter at the end of the alphabet. A and Z, B and Y, C and X. Setting it down though she watched the animal refold itself, this time it briefly took the shape of a triangle, with a point pointing downward. The letters 'IR' where positioned at the bottom tip in pure sight of Tierra before the shape folded up more and a swan took its place.

What the code looks like currently. :
Kivkziv Blfihvoevh Izelp

Gsv Rmevigvw ziv xlnrmt.

Z kviulinzmxv orpv mlmv blfi xrgb szh vevi hvvm droo yv trevm lm gsv urmzo wzb lu Uzoo.

Hl ivzwb blfihvoevh uli lfi ziirezo
Total Threads: 9/10|ThreadAny Threads that are not solos 6/8|Solos 3 of 2

Until I have some free slots available I will not be taking on any new threads.
Thank you for understanding.

Due to some changes in my family dynamics I will be as active as I can. Please bear with me.
Tierra
You have no secrets even in shadows.

Words: 73477
Joined roleplay: September 15th, 2014, 5:13 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Cracking the Code

Postby Tierra on September 2nd, 2017, 5:23 pm

“IR... A clue?” Tierra looked at it and thought about it. There were an awful lot of I's n the code so underneath the words she replaced all the I's with R's and all the R's with I's **All decoded letters will replace their coded letters in {}, if more then one letter is next to another decoded letter it will only be in one set of {} so it something like blfi = {your}, if she only finds out fi it will look like {ur}. It still looked like a jumble to her, but it was starting to make some sense. At least she though it was helping her.

Now with a few letters replaced with what she thought were the correct letters – thanks to her small paper friend. The pencil found its way once more into her mouth, her teeth chewing at it as the orphan's mind went to thinking. Lets see here, what four letter words do I know that end with an r that can also be used in larger words? Tierra took to writing all the words she knew down that ended with R

Your, Four, Tour, Poor, Pour, Year, Tier, tear, pear, bear, near, fear, leer, jeer, Hour, sour and rear. Quickly made the list of words she could think of. It was easy to start eliminating words, some of the words started with an R, and so she could scratch them off the list, that started the removal of words. Rear comes off the list. BLFI does not use the same letter in a row, so that means leer, jeer,and poor are gone. There is no middle I so that removes the word tier.

She was able to narrow the words down to: Your, Four, Tour, Pour, Year, tear, pear, bear, near, fear, Hour, and sour.

The words she wrote down were like a key on its own, Tierra just knew she was in heading in the right direction. “If the letter B is there, and this is encoded that means the word bear is out...” if this is the cipher I think it is that means B stand in for... BY... Y. This allowed Tierra to scratch off more from her word list, leaving only: Your and Year. Let's see, if this is using my key BLFI would be something, something,something R. If Y and B are paired that means A would be a Z...

She replaced all of the Z's with A's and all the A's with Z's, she also replace the BLF of BLFI with YOU. Her first word revealed itself. 'Your', this was exciting, Tierra squirmed and went from leaning over the coded message to laying down before it. I know the code is cracking, I can feel it. If BLFI means YOUR, that means I can replace all Bs with Ys, all Ls with Os, and all Us with Fs... Right? She did so, and a few more words formed themselves. Words she could understand.

K{r}vk{A}{r}v {YOUR}hvoevh {RA}e{O}p

Gsv {i}mev{r}gvw {A}{r}v x{O}n{i}mt.

{A} kv{r}{FOr}n{A}mxv o{i}pv m{O}mv {YOUR} x{i}g{Y} s{A}h vev{r} hvvm droo yv t{i}evm {O}m gsv {FI}m{A}o w{A}b {OF} {FA}oo.

Hl {r}vzw{Y} {YOUR}hvoevh u{Or} {O}f{r} {ARRI}e{A}o

Due to some changes in my family dynamics I will be as active as I can. Please bear with me.
Tierra

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Cracking the Code

Postby Tierra on September 2nd, 2017, 5:29 pm

“IR... A clue?” Tierra looked at it and thought about it. There were an awful lot of I's n the code so underneath the words she replaced all the I's with R's and all the R's with I's **All decoded letters will replace their coded letters in {}, if more then one letter is next to another decoded letter it will only be in one set of {} so it something like blfi = {your}, if she only finds out fi it will look like {ur}. It still looked like a jumble to her, but it was starting to make some sense. At least she though it was helping her.

Now with a few letters replaced with what she thought were the correct letters – thanks to her small paper friend. The pencil found its way once more into her mouth, her teeth chewing at it as the orphan's mind went to thinking. Lets see here, what four letter words do I know that end with an r that can also be used in larger words? Tierra took to writing all the words she knew down that ended with R

Your, Four, Tour, Poor, Pour, Year, Tier, tear, pear, bear, near, fear, leer, jeer, Hour, sour and rear. Quickly made the list of words she could think of. It was easy to start eliminating words, some of the words started with an R, and so she could scratch them off the list, that started the removal of words. Rear comes off the list. BLFI does not use the same letter in a row, so that means leer, jeer,and poor are gone. There is no middle I so that removes the word tier.

She was able to narrow the words down to: Your, Four, Tour, Pour, Year, tear, pear, bear, near, fear, Hour, and sour.

The words she wrote down were like a key on its own, Tierra just knew she was in heading in the right direction. “If the letter B is there, and this is encoded that means the word bear is out...” if this is the cipher I think it is that means B stand in for... BY... Y. This allowed Tierra to scratch off more from her word list, leaving only: Your and Year. Let's see, if this is using my key BLFI would be something, something,something R. If Y and B are paired that means A would be a Z...

She replaced all of the Z's with A's and all the A's with Z's, she also replace the BLF of BLFI with YOU. Her first word revealed itself. 'Your', this was exciting, Tierra squirmed and went from leaning over the coded message to laying down before it. I know the code is cracking, I can feel it. If BLFI means YOUR, that means I can replace all Bs with Ys, all Ls with Os, and all Us with Fs... Right? She did so, and a few more words formed themselves. Words she could understand.

K{r}vk{Ar}v {YOUR}hvoevh {RA}e{O}p

Gsv {i}mev{r}gvw {Ar}v x{O}n{i}mt.

{A} kv{rFOr}n{A}mxv o{i}pv m{O}mv {YOUR} x{i}g{Y} s{A}h vev{r} hvvm droo yv t{i}evm {O}m gsv {FI}m{A}o w{Ay} {OF} {FA}oo.

Hl {r}v{A}w{Y} {YOUR}hvoevh {fOr} {Our} {ARRI}e{A}o

Tierra

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Cracking the Code

Postby Tierra on September 2nd, 2017, 6:16 pm

More words. Yes! That means I can also take all the Ys and turn them to Bs, all the Os to Ls, and all the Fs to Us. The more and more words she revealed the more she felt she saw this message already. She was slowly able to make out words that she could pick up without much trouble in their meanings. “The end of the message starts with an A, is missing a word... '… for our arri...al.' arrifal? No can't be an F, that would've been a U then... Arripal? That's doesn't even sound like a word.”

Pencil tapped the paper, “Arrival! That is the word. That means the Es are Vs. and the Vs are Es...” The tupe of her pencil went back to paper and replaced all the Es in the message with Vs once done she felt proud of herself, another word was found and she alread knew a second one. The P in that word could be replaced with a K. With each word slowly falling into place the message was becoming more and more clear to her. Let's replace all the Vs with Es first, don't get too confident here Tie.

More and more words were appearing, but there was still some that were missing that Tierra knew she had the information for, she just needed to retrace her steps.

“Okay, so the K in Ravok was originally a P, if this is the case, then the two Ks in the word starting the message must be Ps and the P in LI_E would be a K, making it LIKE.” The words were there, she mouthed the beginning of the message to herself, “Prepare your.... Ravok... Prepare your-some letter-elve-same letter... Ravok... Yourselves! Prepare yourselves Ravok.” So the two words that were identical were now full figured out, 'yourselves' Tierra knew what that meant now – all the Hs in the message could be replaced with Ss. With those letter in place Tierra went back and replaced all the Ks with Ps as she figured out.

Pencil once more tapped against the paper as she read the figured out message. “Prepare yourselves Ravok. … Your... A... Your... Ever... Be... Of Fall. Yourselves for our arrival.” Tap tap tap the pencil went. Her eyes looking back at the creature now settled by her elbow just watching as she went along this mental exercise. It just seemed... Calm. Like it already knew the answer to the jumbling before her. Tie had a feeling she might know the answer, like she just read it a bit ago. “If Z is A, B is Y... X must be C...” She combed through the letters and picked out the Xs and replaced them with Cs. “ There was only one. One stinking C in the whole message.

Sitting up the girl thought for a second. Back to what she noticed before when the weird paper construct ate her key. There were only thirteen pairs of letters. She held up her hands and as she thought through her letters Tierra ticked up each finger to as a counter, A... B... C... D... E... She did this until she hit the thirteenth letter 'M'. “That means M and N are the turning point, so let's see here... Let's reverse those two.” A few ticks later Tierra could hear the voice and clamoring of her fellow orphans running down the halls, chaperons following after them, but the concern of why was lost to Tierra, the message before her consumed her thoughts.

{PrePAre} {YOUR}selVes} {RAVOK}

Gs{e} {i}{nver}g{e}w {Are} x{Omin}t.

{A} {perFOrmAnce} {like} {nOne} {YOUR} x{i}g{Y} s{As} {ever} h{een} dr{ll} {be} t{iven} {On} gs{e} {FInAl} w{Ay} {OF} {FAll}.

{s}l {reA}w{Y} {YOURselves} {fOr} {Our} {ARRIVAl}

Tierra

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Cracking the Code

Postby Tierra on September 2nd, 2017, 6:48 pm

Reading through the message Tierra slapped herself in the forehead, she realized she could've already shifted letters to their counterparts, already knowing the Hs and Ss are paired together she forgot to change all the Ss over to Hs, and so with her fingers running through it she did the change as needed, that alone made some of the words easier to interpret and she quickly replaced all the Gs with Ts, as that was the only logical step to take. The next logical step for Tie was to replace all the Ts with Gs.

Once those words were figured out in their completeness Tierra was able to read the message in almost it's entirety. “Prepare yourselves Ravok. The … inverte... Inverted? The inverted...” Tierra replaced the W with a D to make it Inverted. A pause and she went back to the start of the message and started reading it again, “Prepare yourselves Ravok. The Inverted are...” That is pretty late in the alphabet normally... Lets see... A to Z, B to Y... C to X... Pencil went down and replaced the Xs with Cs. With as many words already filled in, it was just a matter of picking through the message she felt and figuring out the rest by reading the message. Once the Cs were in place she went once more to reading from the beginning.

“Prepare yourselves Ravok. The Inverted are coming. A Perfor... Perform... Peformance... Performance. Like your ci... Ci..ee... Cie...” Tierra paused it was missing a letter to be converted over and it was stumping her She felt like she should know it. Setting the notebook down she sat up and stretched, the paper creature beside her stretched, its body fluttering as it moved before settling back down, the words 'You know this.” rippled across the folds on one side, appeared before the words jumbled pairings appeared below the folds: Blf pmld gsrh. Two of the letters purposely were underlined.

The animal was giving her a pretty obvious clue and the girl stared at the words on it and the words on her notepad. “a performance like none your... City... City! Oh sweet Rhysol.” She patted the folded paper animal, it crunched a bit beneath her hand before it refolded itself to take on the shape of a human with no face and held up a hand with a little thumb up. Tierra giggled and replaced the letter that was baffling her.

Reading it through again, she quickly was able to deduce that the D and W were coupled together and she replaced them with their appropriate letters. As Tierra once more read the message there was a word that was not fully decoded, W, letter, two Ls... Well? Woll? Wall? Ever seen wall be given? No... Ever seen well be given? Well sounds closer to being right. It isn't the right word though... What word could it be? She read through the rest of the message and the letter she was missing slapper her right in the face. Earlier she decoded the word Arrival and during her transcribing across the rest of the message she missed the R that needed to be replaced. “Well time to fix that.” Once that was done Tierra read the decoded message outloud.

“Prepare yourselves Ravok The Inverted are coming. A performance like none your city has ever seen will be given on the final day of Fall. So ready yourselves for our arrival.” Tierra narrowed her eyes and looked at the little human paper shape, it quickly collapsed and replaced itself with its original shape. It was a mongoose – Tierra finally was able to name the animal.

“You are a little trickster eh?” Tierra set the notebook down, showing up at her were three of the same message, two were words that one could understand, one the jumbled mess of words she decoded.

{PrePAre} {YOUR}selVes} {RAVOK}

{The} {inverted} {Are} {cOming}.

{A} {perFOrmAnce} {like} {nOne} {YOUR} {citY} {hAs} {ever} {seen} {will} {be} {given} {On} {the} {FInAl} {dAy} {OF} {FAll}.

{So} {reAdY} {YOURselves} {fOr} {Our} {ARRIVAl}

Tierra

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Cracking the Code

Postby Kayak on September 4th, 2017, 7:15 am

There was a loud pattering of feet from the hall, small and light, clearly of a child. The door was practically kicked off its hinges, and a tiny girl, a few years younger than Tierra burst into the room. There was an auburn mane that hung in bouncing waves that most women would kill for tumbling down her back, hazel eyes with a smattering of freckles, and a cute gap in her teeth. She was breathing heavily, red in the face, having run a fair ways, clearly. Her name was Charlotte Cairnswarren.

"Ohmigosssssh, you're in sssso mush trouble Tear-uh!"

The little girl hunched over, hands on her thighs as she tried to catch her breath.

"Thisss guy, in all black and sstuff. He ssaid, you wass to come to the um.... the um.. the place. Tomorrow. Misss Ssonja iss gonna take ya. Oh shyke on a sslave, here she comess!"

The little girl tiptoed in absolute silence and hid behind the open door. Miss Sonja strode in, her face stern as always. "Make sure you wash up well after breakfast Tierra. We're going to the Citizen Registration Office tomorrow promptly by the tenth Bell. You will not make us late. You will do whatever is asked of you. Do you understand me?"

Without waiting for a response, she turned and left, and Charlotte followed shortly after, leaving Tierra to her own devices once more.

Tierra
Skills
Cryptography: 3
Observation: 1
Lores
Cryptography: Recognizing repeated symbols in a code
Origami Animal: Can eat paper
Cryptography: Use of the process of elimination for words
Cryptography: Recognizing the turn in a pattern from established sets
Origami Animal can take on many forms of its own choosing
Miscellaneous

Notes and Comments
CS Checkmarked: ✓
CS Reviewed by Me: ✓
Season Request was Submitted for Grade: Fall 517
Season Thread was Started (IC & OOC): Fall 517 & Fall 517
Is that Season's expenses paid?: No, but not needed due to being current season
Eligible for grade? Yes

I saw you accidentally did a double post inside there :P

Congratulations. You've attracted the attention of someone important. When you have started a thread that has you arriving at the Citizen Registration Office with Ms. Sonja on Fall 21st at 10th Bell, send me a PM.

Built with aid from Hwyn and inspired by Sayana

Signature courtesy of the great and wise Prophet
Kayak
Retired Staff

Words: 83721
Joined roleplay: July 5th, 2017, 11:36 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)