Investigation? Skill Development?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the first step to starting a lore article. Please hold all conversations about lores here in this forum. No development takes place here ie Article posting. This forum is simply for threads that want to hash out what a lore should or shouldn't include as well as its merits and flaws. One can also gauge interest in new lore here as well. Polls are encouraged.

Moderator: Scribes

Postby Avinasai on February 20th, 2018, 2:46 am

Hey there!

This thread is to ask about if I could see who'd all be interested with collaborating on a skill write-up known as Investigation? Avinasai doesn't do that much investigation, but being a casual Dungeons and Dragons player, Investigation seems like an important skill to have. With a proper guide, this can help players to further development their writing to cause the characters to struggle a bit more? Threads that involve quests could be heavily revolved around Investigation. Especially mystery threads, and there can be cautious steps to follow when taking on certain event threads and what not.

So would anyone be interested in helping me find any information about this? I won't mind doing it on my own, I just gotta know if there are others who know more from experience about investigation?
Avinasai
I Am The Thorn.

Words: 73745
Joined roleplay: December 3rd, 2017, 4:33 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Avinasai on February 22nd, 2018, 2:54 am

So here's the usual template, I'm going to add some of the basics in here and see how you guys feel about the information that I have.

Article: Investigation
Author(s): Currently, Avinasai.
Other development: No.
Additional Info:

Peer Review Thread: ~
Founder Review ~

Synopsis: This skill is highly regarded in almost any (if not all) major Role-playing games. This article will be broken down through layers of play as one progresses through this skill. This article will also cover enough information given to the new players and will possibly be a good reference for even those veteran players too.

Outline:

A. Prerequisites and Related Skills:

Prerequisites.

There are no prerequisites that need to be had with this skill.

Related Skills.

1. Observation.

Observation is regarded as a related skill because it uses a good amount of perception. To investigate calls for a clear and level headed mind, and one should be able to see what he's looking at and understand it well too.

2. Planning.

Planning can be considered as another related skill because if you were to investigate a murder or a stolen artifact; a good investigator needs a strategy. Planning would make your investigation a lot more smoother. Especially being prepared for what could possibly happen to your character, they could be prepped for anything that they think will block their path.

3. Organization.

As well as preparation, organization is similar, but not exact. It's like a chef mise en plas. Which is a fancy term for getting all your equipment ready to go for your lab. However, there's a number of equipment that an investigator will need in order to have a true occupation for being one. Being organized will definitely help with your investigations and searching, because having your tools out at hand will make the process go faster. Plus, it would look unprofessional if you waste a lot of time trying to find your own equipment that you should have already had on your person.

4. Negotiation.

This skill could be regarded as a related skill because to investigate a crime scene of some sort, an investigator would have to talk and socialize to get some information about a particular incident, or maybe even a bounty hunting job too. They could ask around if they've seen someone that they've described, or what not. That's just an example.

5. Socialization.

One could simply try solving an investigation while being social. It's pretty standard. One just can't solve an investigation without talking to people. Investigators would have to be careful with crediting what people say to their questions. If people respond differently to the same question, then they could be up to something. Or have committed a crime, or is thinking about commiting a crime.

(More to come).

B. What Is Investigation Used For?

This skill can be used for many adventures. Whether you're in ancient ruins filled with traps and you'd like to search for them? Or if you are working on a task that was a murder and you're investigating to discover who was the murderer? Or maybe your trying to find out what plans your enemies are keeping as secrets? There's a number of things that this skill could be used for.

C. Skill Progression.

1. Novice (1-25)

2. Competent (26-50)

3. Expert (51-75)

4. Master (76-100)

Any other questions or comments would be nice! Let me know if I should add any other skills. I have others in mind, but this is just the beginning of the development of this skill. I hope this is something that's alright as a draft? If not, tell me what I need to change and I'll get on it! Thanks!
Avinasai
I Am The Thorn.

Words: 73745
Joined roleplay: December 3rd, 2017, 4:33 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets