Solo Into the Water

[The Surf and Turf] Avela continues her language lessons.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Considered one of the most mysterious cities in Mizahar, Alvadas is called The City of Illusions. It is the home of Ionu and the notorious Inverted. This city sits on one of the main crossroads through The Region of Kalea.

Into the Water

Postby Avela on April 6th, 2018, 5:34 am

34th of Spring, 518 AV

Syliras is a nice enough place, but it's an odd city. It's a fortress, all stone and walls. When I first saw it, I thought that this might be the place I was being led to. I was fascinated with the knights, and the people, and the setting. But the longer I stay here, the clearer it is. This is not where I'm supposed to be. I have to keep moving. I only wish I knew when it was time to stop moving.

At least I get to be on a boat again. On the water. I've talked to a man at the port, a Svefra. He's willing to take passengers, and says he can take me as far as Riverfall.

Riverfall, surely, is where I'm meant to go. Other Konti have gone there before. I've even met a few of them. It would make sense for me to find a mate among the Akalak. I'm excited, but a little nervous. I have a good feeling. Riverfall, I think, is where my journey will finally end.

The clink of a plate on the wooden tabletop made her look up, blinking in surprise at the Konti woman that stood in front of her, at the plate of fish in front of her. Avela had almost forgotten that she had ordered food, so engrossed was she in her reading. It was still slow going. She didn't know as many words as she would like, and there were a few times when she paused to try and understand what word her mother was using or what she was saying. But it was coming faster to her now. She had gotten used to her mother's turn of phrase, to her mother's voice. She didn't realize how hungry she had been for it until she started reading.

The last passage was the most intriguing. She'd thought that after Syliras, her mother's next stop would be Alvadas, and that was where the journey would end. But here, her mother was convinced that she was going to end up in Riverfall. Avela wanted desperately to know why her mother had changed her mind. More than anything.

"You look off in space," Kay'Layza said. "Good read?"

"Mm," Avela said, sliding the plate of fish closer to her. Noonday sunlight filtered in through the open windows next to her table. "I'm getting better at reading it. It's not that hard now."

"That's good," Kay'Layza said. "You're improving. How about your spoken Kontinese?"

"Um..." Avela hesitated, looking sheepish. She'd become faster at reading Kontinese, but she hadn't had many opportunities to practice speaking it. After all, Kay'Layza was usually busy, and the only other Konti she knew in Alvadas, Okana, wasn't usually very talkative. She opened her mouth, saying what she hoped was 'It's a work in progress'. From the look on Kay'Layza's face, she wasn't even close.

"What?" she asked. "What did I say?"

"You said it was under construction," Kay'Layza said, smiling. "Alright." She took a seat across the table from Avela, fixing the younger Konti with a piercing gaze. "We're going to do this right. We're going to have a conversation, and you aren't allowed to speak in Common. Ready? Go."

Template by Sevaan
"Common" "Kontinese"
(•̀o•́)ง

~Avela~
Avela
Player

Words: 95329
Joined roleplay: January 7th, 2018, 7:26 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Alvadas Seasonal Challenge (1)

Into the Water

Postby Avela on April 10th, 2018, 12:55 am

Avela sat there, frozen for a moment after Kay'Layza had finished speaking. The older Konti waited for a while, but after taking note of Avela's vacant expression, she sighed, placing a hand on her temple and shaking her head.

"Alright," she said, still speaking in Kontinese. "We'll start slow. How's the weather?"

Weather...

It took Avela a moment, her mind taking the Kontinese word and shifting it to its Common translation. When she realized what Kay'Layza was saying, though, her eyes widened and she sat up straighter. Yes. Weather. That was a topic she actually knew how to talk about.

"It is sunny today," she said.

"Do you like sunny weather?" Kay'Layza asked.

An easy enough question to answer. "Yes, I like it."

Kay'Layza smiled, and Avela knew she was in for trouble. When the older Konti asked her "When was the last time it rained?", though, Avela's heart sank a little.

The last time it rained? That would depend on what she meant by rain. Because it hadn't really rained since autumn, if Avela was thinking about citywide weather. Most of winter, it had been snowing, and this spring, they were still besieged by this drought. But this was Alvadas, so it had actually rained in localized places here and there, not that anyone had been able to drink the water. That was too difficult a concept for Avela to try to convey in her limited Kontinese, though, so she settled on saying.

"Um...two days ago, outside my front door."

That caused Kay'Layza to blink, shifting into Common. "Outside your front door?" she asked.

Avela nodded, opening her mouth to clarify. Belatedly, she remembered Kay'Layza telling her not to speak in Common at all and closed her mouth again, searching for the words. "A small...um...I do not know the word...a small mischief?"

"Illusion," Kay'Layza said in Kontinese, smiling. Or at least, that was what Avela thought she said. She had never heard the word before, but that had been the word she was grasping for, so she took it.

"Yes! A small illusion. In Alvadas, many illusions. Big illusions and small illusions."

Kay'Layza nodded. "True enough," she said. "Do you like Alvadas, Avela?"

"I like Alvadas," Avela said. "Very much. It's..." She paused, searching for a word. "...home?"

An odd look entered the older Konti's eye. Something almost wistful, like nostalgia. She nodded her head. "Have you ever left the city?"

Avela didn't know why, but she felt like she was being interrogated. She struggled to get through the tenses and verb conjugations that she would need to work through to answer Kay'Layza's question. "I...um...leave city last winter," she said. "To find...water? A water search." From the way Kay'Layza's eyes widened, she hadn't known about that. Avela wasn't surprised. She hadn't exactly told everyone. She still didn't like thinking about what she and Madeira had found on that trip.

"You went on the expedition the Speakers were talking about?" Kay'Layza asked. "And they let you?"

Avela did not like the surprise in Kay'Layza's tone, or what her words were implying, but she didn't have the vocabulary to say so. So instead, she pouted and said "Yes."

Template by Sevaan
"Common" "Kontinese"
(•̀o•́)ง

~Avela~
Avela
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Alvadas Seasonal Challenge (1)

Into the Water

Postby Avela on April 13th, 2018, 4:47 am

Kay'Layza watched Avela for a moment more, disbelief on her expression, before she let out a breath. "I honestly can't tell if you're lying or not," she said. Since she said the words in Kontinese, and faster than any of the other sentences she had used so far, Avela didn't initially know what she was talking about. When she did manage to translate the words, however, trying to fit Kay'Layza's somewhat exasperated statement with the context of the situation, she frowned.

"I'm not lying!" she said. "Definitely, definitely, truly not lying."

"Alright," Kay'Layza said, giving Avela a tired smile. "I believe you. But what was it like? What did you find?"

Avela honestly had trouble describing what she had found in Common. Nothing in her limited Kontinese vocabulary prepared her for having to discuss entering a cave with a Craven Spiritist, finding a corpse, and running from a Yukman. She gave Kay'Layza a flat look, the best way she could think of to describe this, and the older Konti relented with a long sigh.

"Fine," she said. "You're right. That's a little too difficult for you right now." She slipped back into Common. "But I expect a full accounting from you later, young lady."

Since Kay'Layza wasn't her mother or even her stepmother, and since her stepmother had certainly not sat Avela down and demanded an accounting of her adventure, Avela thought that was an empty threat. She was also really getting frustrated with her limited ability to express her thoughts in Kontinese. If she went to Mura now, would every day be like this? Would she be feeling like a mute, or like an idiot every time she opened her mouth?

Languages officially sucked. Why couldn't everyone just pick one and stick with it?

"Let's talk about work," Kay'Layza said, shifting subjects. "How is work going?"

"Work is...fine," Avela said, stumbling through the words. "Business is...getting better. More people are buying candles." Ha! There. She was getting this whole language thing. Confidently, Avela tried to describe her plans for her next candle set, and found herself running into a wall. Honestly, how could she ever have taken for granted just how many words there were in the world? "I want to make...I...because of the insects. There are so many insects."

"Yes?" Kay'Layza said, arching an eyebrow as if she expected Avela to continue on. Avela let out a little breath of frustration.

"I want to make candles with...citronella." She didn't even know if that word existed in Kontinese, so she didn't even try, shifting back into Common for that single word. She paused, looking at Kay'Layza to see if she would scold her, but the older Konti didn't say anything, so Avela continued the struggle. "I think it will help because of--because of the insects. It will...it will...it will the word for make them go away?"

"Repel," Kay'Layza supplied, smiling.

"Yes!" Avela said. "It will repel them. So less people will get sick."

Template by Sevaan
"Common" "Kontinese"
(•̀o•́)ง

~Avela~
Avela
Player

Character sheet