Solo [Valkalah Library] One of those days...

Adventure at work.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

[Valkalah Library] One of those days...

Postby Naali on June 30th, 2018, 10:03 pm

2 Summer 518

Naali had just settled in for the late shift as one of the librarians. She had brought some needlepoint to work on if it was a quiet night. She had a couple books on her desk that had been recommended for her to read. The first was an elementary primer for Tukant. This was required by her supervisor. “If you are going to work here, you need to learn the language,” she was told in a very direct way. So everyone who comes to her desk is greeted with an energetic, “Hello, my name is Naali. How may I help you?” At least that is what she hopes she is saying. Most of the time, she gets a weird little smile from the patrons then they speak to her in common. All except this one young human mage, Nel Sammesbury, who decided to lecture her on the finer points of the Tukant language and made her repeat her greeting twenty times till she said it correctly. He was trying to check out five tomes from the library, one of them Naali gracefully took out of his pile. “This one has to stay in the library,” she said and then ungracefully knocked it off her desk. The thud was like a cannon going off on a calm quiet morning. Naali then proceeded to hit her head on the shelf behind the desk setting off a second thud that was quieter than the first, thankfully. But she knew that the sounds would bring Master Elic K’racics, the evening head librarian, like a woman’s scream in Riverfall brings armed men out of the woodwork. She passed the books back over to him then said, “Thank you.” in Tukant, she hoped. Nel took the books and raised his hands in the air in a sign of frustration.

Elic appeared before Naali could count to five. He always did, whenever she did something wrong he was there. He was an ardent man, wearing rimmed glasses, a tan double vest over a white shirt, with dark brown trousers and black polished shoes and he looked over the glasses at Naali and “hum hummed” her. She blushed so hard that her face, ears, and chest. He couldn’t see the last part. Nia had made sure that Naali was covered and wore proper attire. Including the unmentionables which Naali hated almost as much as those collars. Naali slipped her feet back into her boots. For all of Elic’s by the rules, hush hushes, and eyeglass stares, Elic was a nice man. He had a wife and two children a lovely little place with a garden. The oldest child was a girl who looked like Elic. She had his nose, eyes, and hair. His son looked like his mother, blond curly hairs. Both were quiet children. That made Naali want to take them to a park and play tag with them so they could yell, run, and play. Children need to get dirty, but these do not seem to.

Feena Causey, a Grandmotherly Akalak woman, she had been a warrior when she was younger. She was wounded in a battle. She had settled down raised a family. She still goes and swings her sword on the training grounds in the morning. Feena looked at Naali after Master Elic went to help an elderly mage find an obscure magic book tucked away in a secure section of the library. Feena says in a matter of fact way, “You know Nel is interested in you.” Naali blushed again twice as red as before. Nel likes me? He always had to correct her for something, she thought to her self. Fenna continued by saying, “He comes in earlier in the day to find the books, then waits for you to come in to check them out.”

Just then one of the young pickpockets she watched in the park, where she had picked up Azmere’s dagger, came into the library looking afraid. He started to look for a place to hide. Naali pointed at the young man, looking to Feena. Feena waved her hand to go. Part of the job of a librarian was to make sure people don’t steal the books.

Naali followed the boy down one of the aisles. She waved to him to follow her into a study room that was not being used. She closed the door, placing her hand on the dagger in her sleeve as she crossed her arm. “What are you hiding from?” she asked with a maternal tone. She had heard it from Nia so many times, it came easy.
Last edited by Naali on July 11th, 2018, 3:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Naali
Player

Words: 40571
Joined roleplay: June 22nd, 2018, 12:50 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

[Valkalah Library] Thiyi Nilesh

Postby Naali on July 3rd, 2018, 1:41 am

Thiyi Nilesh was a young human man. She did not find him handsome and ugly. He wasn’t to tall and average weight.
Thiyi shifted and said, “No one.”
Naali sat down on the chair at the little table. “I’m not trying to hurt you and I didn’t call the guards on you,” she said in a very matter of fact tone. “So little thief, talk to me,” she said.

Thiyi thinks for the moment then moved for the door.
“Open it and I will scream,” Naali said then continued, “Do you know how protective the men are about women in this town, even us pets? Ever male in this place will come running because they think they have a chance of bedding me.” She pauses for effect, “You wouldn’t even make it to the arena to fight for your freedom if I started to cry.”

Thiyi gave her an evil look. He hated being blackmailed and being blackmailed by a Kelvic was even worse. He turns and sits down at the table. He reaches in his pocket and pulls out a necklace.

Thiyi says, “It’s magical. It glows in the dark.” Naali reaches out to touch it and he snatches it back.
“I guess you came here to try to figure out what it is or to hide it?” Naali asked.
Thiyi laughed at that, “Hiding things here is hard. Elric has eyes everywhere it seems.”

There is a knock on the door, “Everything okay, Miss Naali?” the man’s voice was deep. One of the guards was checking.
Naali responds, “Yes, everything is fine. I am just getting some information to do research for the gentleman. He has something of a personal medical issue.”
Thiyi shoots her a dirty look.
Naali shrugs like what did you want me to say?

The guard said, “I’ll check back in a couple minutes.”
Footfalls sound as the guard walks away.
“Let me see it one more time,” Naali asks.
“What’s it going to cost me?” Thiyi asks her.

Naali thinks for a moment, then smiles.
“Toys, for a boy and a girl. About she puts hands for their height. I want them delivered to a specific address. The noisier the better. I will give you the children’s names,” she said.
Thiyi shakes his head in disbelief and says, “You are a strange one.”
Naali gets up, walks to the door and leaves.
Naali
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

[Valkalah Library] Choices.

Postby Naali on July 3rd, 2018, 3:04 am

The next day, as she arrived at the library, two of the city guards were there. One of them was talking to Master Elric, the other was talking to the guard. As on queue, both of them pointed at Naali. She wanted to hide under her desk. The guards came over and started the good-cop vs. bad-cop routine.
The good cop asked, “Had she seen a man with a necklace yesterday?
She answered, “Yes, pointing to a man wearing a necklace. They come in often.”
Naali’s tells for lying are as apparent as a mages fireball in a dark cave at midnight.
He continued, “Did she talk to a man with a necklace?”
“Yes, a few of them,” She answered.
A drawing of the necklace came out of a pocket, “Did you see a man with this necklace?” they asked her.
She studies the paper for the moment and said, “Wow, who drew this. This is amazing. I wish I could draw like this. Can I keep this?”
The second guard slid a paper across the desk to her as there was an inaudible sound of a hand slapping a forehead, with the sound of why me echoing.
“If I saw someone wearing this necklace, I would have noticed it,” Naali said, “No one I saw was wearing a necklace like that.”

They continued to ask her questions and Naali continued to answer them truthfully if not correctly. When they were done talking to her she realized a few things. The first is she didn’t know the man’s name that had the necklace. It never came to her mind to ask him for a name. The second was that she didn’t know anything more than the guards already knew. The third was the necklace was worth some money, no one pays to have pictures made of a necklace unless it was worth something to someone.

Naali spent a couple hours in the herbalism collecting books and brought them to her desk, she started making notes about plants and cures for rashes of different types. There were a couple handfuls of rashes that a person could get. Each rash would be treated by different plants or combination of plants. Then each race would have variations that would work better or not as well. Some were infectious; some indicated a different disease was at play, and some from the effects of magic. She made notes as she went. Master Elric came past a couple times to look at what she was doing and nodding approvingly. This was the best cover for the research that she was to do later. “A librarian must be curious.” Master Elric had said when he had hired her. She had that down in spades.

Nel Sammesbury came in after dinner; Naali did the unthinkable thing of going over to talk to him. She did not greet him in Tukant, rather with a soft, “Master Sammesbury, would you teach me how to do some magical research?” She pulled out the drawing neatly folded in her pocket. “The guards came asking about this necklace and I wanted to learn more about it. I figured it had to be magical because no one would have a drawing made for a normal necklace like this. It would have been taken apart and sold in pieces,” Naali says. Nel raised an eyebrow at Naali. That was very observant of her. She didn’t want to tell him that she had spent most of the day thinking this through.
“Dinner,” Nel said.
Naali looked at him with a very puzzled face.
“Dinner in three nights, it is your day off,” he said.
Naali blushed and nodded in agreement.

Master Nel took her hand and started walking to the magical research area of the library. Master Elric normally handled this area himself and there were guards that patrolled the area. Nel started to talk about what to look at for enchanted items. Colors, stones, patterns, the type of metals, all tell you something. He took the paper and started to point out details that he noticed. Then he walked over and grabbed a couple books from the shelves and plopped them down on a table showing her things. The necklace was of a specific style, this meant that the necklace came from a specific place. The gems were of specific types and not all gems can be found every place. Each gem radiated with specific types of power. Different gems held different properties in the hermetic order. Earth, Air, Fire, Water, Soul. Like diamond for the strength of will, ruby for fire, Sapphire for water, and so on. Naali tried to write as quick as she could to keep up. Nel took her hand again and told her to put the pencil down and just listen. He stacked a couple of the basic magic and enchanting theory books for her to read. After an hour, Master Elric returned and told Naali it was time for her to return to her desk. She picked up the books, the drawing, and her notes and headed towards the desk after saying goodbye to Nel.

From what she understood, even her embroidery could be an enchantment if it was done right.
Naali
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

[Valkalah Library] The learning

Postby Naali on July 3rd, 2018, 4:14 am

That night, Naali was very talkative to the women at the house. She told them she had a date in a couple days. She talked about learning about rashes and herbs. She stopped when she was going to tell them about what she had learned about magic and meaning. It made perfect sense when Nel was teaching her. In her mind it all was clear, but trying to explain it to someone else; she would have sounded like she was babbling.

She went to sleep dream of magic in the world around her. Everything has a power to it, everything has an order to it.

The next morning she went to the library, grabbed a couple of the magic books and the drawing on the paper. She started to make notes as she looked. The necklace was a necklace of protection. Like and armor against fire and water. It also had some air to it. As she looked at the pattern and in the book, she figured that it would allow someone to breath under water for a little while.

When Nel came in she bounced over to him, showed him the drawing and told him what she thought it was. He smiled at her. “You have two more questions to figure out,” he said to her, “How do you make it and how do you control it?” The smile came off of Naali’s face as she said, “I don’t know.” This was the truth of magic, even though you could guess at what something does, there is always more to it. Naali doubted that she would ever tap the power of magic. It scared her, like lightning storms. A guard came over to them, “Master Sammesbury, Master Elric has found the book you needed. Miss Naali, he would like you to return to your desk.” She spent the day with the question that Nel asked.

The next day Master Elic was complaining about some noisey toys that were delivered to his house. Later in the afternoon, Thiyi came in, “Miss, did you find out anything about my condition.”
Naali looked up at him and smiled. She grabbed her paperwork and headed for an empty study room.

As they entered the room she said, “I’ve got most of the rash figured out. Let me show you."
She laid the papers out on the table. Then she closes the door, She pulls out the drawing of the necklace, she says quietly, "You stole this from a sailor, probably a sea captain from a foreign country. Who was had been drinking, I would guess. The necklace protects them from fire and water, and it let the owner breathe underwater if they fall overboard. There is a bounty for its reward and it is worth some money as the guards are looking for a man and they have drawings of it. I don’t know how to activate it. But, you probably want to get rid of it quickly.”
Naali
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

[Valkalah Library] Conclusion...

Postby Naali on July 3rd, 2018, 5:09 am

Then Naali says in a louder voice, "If you make a salve of these plants, the rash should clear up." As she opens the door, she gasped. The two guards are waiting outside of the room.

The thief looked at her and said, "You set me up."
The big guard said, "No, she didn't. She made a point of not telling us anything. So we followed her."
Master Eric came up and asks, "Is she under arrest?"
The second guard answered, "Not at this time."

The guards took the drawing back with the notes.
Naali
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

[Valkalah Library] One of those days...

Postby Paaie on October 6th, 2018, 9:02 pm

G R A D E
Observation +2
Interrogation +1
Intimidation +1
Sociialization +1
Writing +1
Investigation +2
Subterfuge +2

Elic K’Racics: Head librarian
Elic: Father to two children
Elic: Always chastising Naali for something
Feena Causey: Retired akalak warrior
Interrogation: Using a maternal tone
Thiyi: Petty thief
Intimidation: Extorting through blackmail
Medicine: Rash may be symptom of an internal disease or infection
Medicine: Rashes may be treated with herbs
Naali: Curious and plucky
Gemology: Different gemstones possess unique properties
Gemology: Gemstones have unique origins
Nel: Asks Naali out for a date!
Investigation: Researching an unusual artefact
Subterfuge: Crafting a cover story

Woah I loved following Naali's investigations and the intigue you wrote into this solo, it was fun! Just be careful with your grammar and sentence structure as, at times, it can cost you XPs.

I you feel I missed anything don't hesitate to PM me. Don't forget to edit your grade request.
Paaie
Player

Words: 63032
Joined roleplay: March 14th, 2018, 9:12 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)