Closed Slow Day, New Face

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

Slow Day, New Face

Postby Lua Petri on August 1st, 2018, 9:14 pm

17 Summer

It was a fairly slow day today at The Sunrise Nook. Lua leaned against the counter, watching the door for customers to come in. There had only been a couple people to come in, and most of them were regulars who came in nearly everyday so they had been expected. Ajah spent more time talking to them and catching up, since there wasn't much else to do, and Lua took the time to relax. She would doodle in her notepad, drawing clouds and the mountains of Lhavit. She wasn't very good; they were just swirls and triangles without real detail, really.

The only downside to a slow work day was the possibility of less pay, especially if Lua spent most of her time doing nothing. She decided to put the notepad away, and began to work on cleaning the counter and organizing the display cases with baked good inside. She went to the kitchen and grabbed some of the smaller items to replace those that were bought, and swept up crumbs that were left.

After making sure the counter was cleaned, she reached for her rag in her back pocket and began to wipe down tables and chairs. Most of them were already clean, but it never hurt to double check. Besides, she wanted to keep busy... or at least look like she was. Until another customer walked in, she wouldn't have much else to do.
Lua Petri
Player

Words: 37369
Joined roleplay: July 29th, 2018, 8:05 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Slow Day, New Face

Postby Tamas on August 1st, 2018, 10:16 pm

Morning was one of Tamas' favorite times of the day. They day had the promise of new adventure and life. So in a bold move Tamas decided to go out and eat. This was going to be her big splurge for the day as she tried to learn her way around and hopefully find some work.

She came across The Sunrise Nook as she walked and the smell of baked goods brought her in. Awkward would be the best word to describe Tamas as she came through the door. He hair was all ready frazzled and out of place. She tried to figure out where to place her staff to keep it from being in the way, falling and making noise or being a hindrance. She was failing at all of these things at the same time. She finally manages to get herself into a chair at a table, her hair pulled around to her right shoulder and her staff leaning up on her shoulder on her hair. She moves her arm down to smooth her dress, smiling at the patrons she bumped, disturbed, and probably annoyed. Her eyes glittered in the sunlight and she smile at an older couple holding hands..
Tamas
Player

Words: 8852
Joined roleplay: July 18th, 2018, 2:24 am
Character sheet
Plotnotes

Slow Day, New Face

Postby Lua Petri on August 2nd, 2018, 5:27 am

17 Summer

The door opened, and Lua glanced over to see who it was. It was a young woman, with incredibly long red hair that was pulled back in a fairly messy braid. She was carrying a staff, and kept knocking into things and apologizing as she tried to find a seat. Lua held back a chuckle, reaching up and covering her mouth for a second until she could wipe away her smile. She didn't want to laugh at her and make her feel worse; it was her job to make her feel welcome!

The woman finally managed to sit, and Lua started walking over her. She pulled the pencil out from where it rested above her ear as well as her notepad from her apron pocket. She flashed the girl a friendly smile and spoke to her in a cheery voice. "Welcome to The Sunrise Nook, my friend! I'm Lua, if you ever need to catch my attention." There was a paper slip on the table with the foods and prices on them, for those who couldn't read the menu behind the counter. She grabbed the menu and handed it to the woman. "What would you like to eat this fine morning? Our Common Meal today is a spiced lentil soup, and our Good Meal is a spinach and cheese quiche."
Lua Petri
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Slow Day, New Face

Postby Tamas on August 4th, 2018, 4:23 am

Without much thought Tamas says, “I think I will have the quiche.” Hoping that Lua was right and the food was good. She sized up the waitress, the restaurant and the patrons. She slides the staff down to the floor to keep from knocking things from the tables.

As the waitress heads for the kitchen, Tamas starts to draw on the table with her finger making a circle and then erasing it with her hand. Trying the design again slower and with a little more determination this time, she comes to the same spot and erases it again. She then leans her head back and closes her eyes to concentrate and think.
Tamas
Player

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Slow Day, New Face

Postby Lua Petri on August 5th, 2018, 6:13 am

17 Summer

Lua gave her a grin and nodded. "Good choice. Ajah's quiches are always perfect!" There were times when during her breaks Lua would have a quiche herself. It was worth the price, she believed. All of Ajah's cooking was, really. She turned and left the woman, going to the open space in the wall between the main room and the kitchen. "Another quiche, Ajah!"

Quiches were an easy thing to serve. Most of them were made in the morning, chilled, and then heated up when ordered. Of course throughout the day Ajah would make more if the numbers started dwindling.

While Ajah prepared the quiche, Lua checked on the other customers. There weren't many still, so she mostly just asked if they were doing okay or if they wanted another cup of tea. Then she went around to see if any tables need to be cleaned, again. There wasn't a whole lot to do when your job was to serve people and there weren't many people to serve.

Finally, the quiche was ready. Heated over the stove, the edges a light golden brown and the top oozing with melted cheese. It smelled delicious, and Lua sighed as she grabbed the plate and walked back to the woman. She slid the quiche onto the table and motioned with her hand in a "ta-da" sort of way. "There you go! One quiche, for the pretty lady with the long hair!" She paused, and glanced around to make sure no new customers had come in. Turning back to the woman she leaned on the table and asked, "I haven't seen you around before, though I've only been working here for a wouple weeks. This your first time here at the nook?"

Ajah had told Lua a good way to have customers come more often and spend more was to befriend them, talk to them and make them feel good about the place. So she did her best to make the woman feel comfortable and welcome.
Lua Petri
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Slow Day, New Face

Postby Tamas on August 8th, 2018, 2:36 am

Tamas looked with delight at the food and her server. It was nice to eat something that she did not cook or came from a salt barrel.

"Ah, yes, I am new to town and the nook. I've come to complete my training as a paper maker and book binder," she said with joy. "I was told that this would be a wonderful experience by my Master. I was sent to learn from his master for a while," she said. She takes a fork and cuts into the food and lets the steam rise from it. "After this I need to find the Good Book and apply with him." she said.

"What brought you to this city or have you been here all your life?" she asked trying to get the conversation off of her self.
Tamas
Player

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Slow Day, New Face

Postby Lua Petri on August 9th, 2018, 10:39 pm

17 Summer

Lua noticed the look of the woman's delight when she approached with the food. She explained that she was new to the town itself. A paper maker and book binder? That sounded cool, Lua thought as she sat down at the table to listen. She liked to read in her off time, when there was nothing else to do, especially on hot days. Usually she could find something else to do, but it was still cool to see someone who was interested in making books!

"I've never been to the Good Book myself, though I've heard good things about it and Keper." She flashed her a smile. That's when the woman shifted the conversation to Lua. She rested her elbows on the table, lacing her fingers together and resting her chin on them. "Me, I've lived here my whole life. I don't really have a plan on what I want to do for the future. I'm kind of taking it one day at a time, you know? I haven't been working at the nook for long, so that's my focus."

She thought to herself for a bit, musing out loud. "It would be cool to become a great cook like Ajah, and I've also always had fun with wrestling my brother; it would be fun to actually train with that. It's a good way to stay active, at least"

She stopped, looking at the woman with raised eyebrows. "Hey, since you're new and everything, how about I help you to the Good Book after my shift ends? It's been a slow day, I wouldn't be surprised if Ajah closes early. Longest I'll be though is a bell and a half. How does that sound?" She held out a hand to shake hers. "I don't believe I've caught your name, by the way."
Lua Petri
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Slow Day, New Face

Postby Tamas on August 11th, 2018, 5:15 am

"My name is Tamas," she responded as she cut into the food with a fork. "I don't remember my last name and I enjoy books too," she laughs at the stupidity of her statement since it was obvious. "The big thing about paper making is that it smells funny and you spend a lot of time ripping things into smaller pieces, then putting it in water and beating it till it becomes mush then you can get to work."

"My master told me I was a day dreamer. My head is full of ideas and" she said then pauses for a moment trying figure how to say what she is thinking, "things."

"It must be nice having a brother to wrestle with," Tamas said with a little envy, watching to see if there was a reaction or more to that story. "The only wrestling I did, I did not care for. When I was little, some of the bigger boys back home liked to wrestle me." she just let that conversation sit for a second. There was no need to go there since nothing really happened, except for her tears. She says, "That's why I carry my staff," she said. "It would be good to know what to do if someone grabs you," Tamas said with some seriousness. "I tend to knock into things with my staff," spoken as if this was suppose to shock people.

"Cooking is a good thing to do too!" Tamas said. "I was told that could burn water." Tamas said with a twinkle in her eye.

"My master told me I was a day dreamer. My head is full of ideas and " she pauses for a moment trying figure how to say what she is thinking. "Things," is the word that comes out of her mouth. She quickly continues, "Like something to beat the fibers in the water to make the process a little easier." She didn't really want to say she was dreaming of making golems. Most people are a little put off by the idea of inanimate things that walk, talk, fight, and do not feel pain. Since she had magically awaken, she has had dreams of dolls that could do things for her.

"The hard part of my training is that I have to learn other languages," Tamas says. As she takes bite of food and wiped her mouth, "I'd love the company to find the Good Book," Tamas says.
Tamas
Player

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Slow Day, New Face

Postby Lua Petri on August 11th, 2018, 6:45 am

17 Summer

"Tamas," Lua echoed the name, as if testing how it would sound coming from her own mouth. After a moment, she grinned at her. "Nice name. It has a pretty nice ring to it." When she chuckled, mentioning her lack of a last name but a love for books, Lua also let out a small laugh. "You like books, eh? I had no idea, with you going to work at The Good Book and all." Her voice was laced with sarcasm, a wide grin on her face as she continued to chuckle. "I do hope all that paper making work is fun for you, though. I don't know if I could stand it myself, especially if I stayed in the same spot. At least here I could also talk to people and there are different things to do." She shrugged. "But hey, people like different things!"

When Tamas began to talk about wrestling and why she carried a staff, Lua couldn't help but stick out her lower lip and narrow her eyes. "Well, wrestling is no fun when you don't want to. If I could I would go back and beat up those boys for ya!" Her tone was serious but her eyes sparkled with passion. Her words were genuine, though a little silly. "But it's good you have some self-defense now." She smirked at the comment about knocking things over and shook her head with a snort. "Yeah, with something as large as the staff, I'm not surprised. I'm sure you'll get the hang of it, though!"

Tamas spoke a little about herself, that she was a day dreamer, and Lua nodded with understanding. "I can be a bit of a dreamer, myself. Though I've gotten better at it, there were times I've zone out during work! There's goals I want to accomplish, certain places I want to visit.... I think about it a lot, and I can lose track of time if I'm not careful!" Of course, everyone had dreams, motivation and ideas. But it was fun and comforting to talk to others about it, especially when in a new place so you were awkward. Lua hoped to make Tamas feel more comfortable in Lhavit.

She accepted the assistance to The Good Book, and Lua leaned back and clapped her hands together. "Wonderful! I hope it won't be uncomfortable waiting here for a time, if you want there's other shops around that you could check out if you get too restless. Like I said, I should only be another bell or so. Do you want some tea while you wait?" She was speaking a little fast, excited for the possibility of a new friend. She was pretty out there herself, not everyone's type of person, so if Tamas wasn't turned off by her she was excited!

If Tamas had agreed to a tea, Lua would've gone back to get her a cup. She wrote it down on her notepad, to keep track of her tab. She still had to work, after all. Then she would continue with her duties. A customer had entered while she talked to Tamas, so she quickly went to him and dealt with him. He ordered a quiche as well as a scone, so Lua had to tell Ajah to prepare the quiche as she grabbed a scone from the food storages. Besides him, the other customer that was still here just wanted the occasional refill of tea.

For the rest of the work day, Lua mostly went back and forth. Some new customers came in by half a bell before closing, to get some goods to go, but other than that nothing else changed. Slowly the customers began to leave, and Tamas helped Ajah clean up for the day and close. That involved storing the pre-prepared goods in cooled storage, putting ingredients away, and cleaning the cooking stations. When she was finished, she changed into her day clothes and left the shop. If Tamas had been sitting inside, Lua would've mentioned for her to come outside.

When the two of them did meet up again, Lua put her hands on her hips and sighed. "Alright, Tamas. Off to the Good Book, unless you found something else you want to do first? It's always fun to window shop, even if briefly. Or we could head over there directly, no big issue."
Lua Petri
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Slow Day, New Face

Postby Tamas on August 12th, 2018, 1:52 am

Tamas hums as she helps out. She is more than happy to do dishes and plunges her hands into the formerly boiling wash water and scrubs the cooking items. You have to plunge your hands in boiling water to make paper, so the sensation wasn't bad. She hums a tune that is in her head. When she is done helping, she pulls out Seven silver and hands them to Lua to pay her bill and the tip for the service. "I think I need to go to the Good Book before going shopping," Tamas says, "Best find out if I will be accepted as an apprentice before I spend more money."
Tamas
Player

Character sheet
Plotnotes