Solo Chirpy

Oresnya sits down with Val to learn a bit more about Nari

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The westernmost tip of Kalea, Wind Reach is home to an amazing group of people and their giant eagle mounts. [Lore]

Chirpy

Postby Oresnya Cacao on February 24th, 2019, 2:17 pm

Words. Though they meant nothing without the world that gave them meaning, the world they existed in was difficult to describe without them. While the world had meaning without them, words gave it new meaning, a deeper meaning and a sense of purpose beyond what had been given to it at its creation. Sometimes, words brought a whole new side of the world to light. And sometimes, words were not enough to describe it.

When words failed, Oresnya thought, it was best just to stay quiet. Unfortunately, her tongue was still young when it came to Nari, and she almost never had the words she needed. She had to admit she remained silent far more often than she liked, but the little Nari she had learned from her sister Yora had not been enough to help her keep up with what was being said around her.

From looks and undisguised snickers and tones of disgust, she generally knew when she was the subject of conversation, though she often had no idea what was being said. When those clues weren’t there, Oresnya had to rely on her limited vocabulary to give her hints to what was being discussed. Symenos was a slow language, one of seduction and persuasion, while Nari was rapid fire and meant to convey information quickly. In the air, as a bird or a rider, communication had to be quick. Her untrained ears didn’t give her the chance she needed to learn to communicate in her usual work settings. Social situations were out of the question. No one trusted her yet.

For that reason, Oresnya had bought tea at the most recent market day, something that had made its way up from Kalinor, a tea with herbs found only in the northernmost reaches of Falyndar and southern Kalea, one Oresnya had drank often in the comforts of the suspended city beneath the earth, one that made her nostalgic for home. Val, Wind Reach’s gatekeeper, had said that was his only price for lessons on language.

Language, every Symenestra learned from an early age, was key to gaining access to others’ societies. Without the common ground of a similar known tongue, little progress seemed to be made in ingratiating one’s self with others, in making friends, in gaining trust, in ensuring the survival of the Symenestra people. Oresnya shook her head to clear that final thought from it. She had come to the gatehouse today in hopes of learning, to better herself so she could be a betterment to the Inarta and their society. What her people had done was of no concern, though it was their reputation she constantly found herself working against.

A soft rap of her knuckles on the door brought a flutter of wings and chirps from inside followed by a rapidly spoken Nari greeting that came in the Val’s warm, familiar voice. She had only met him the day of her arrival, but his calm greeting and true welcoming nature had bought Oresnya’s respect immediately.

Ducking inside and shutting the door behind her, Oresnya turned back around to see Val turning away from whatever bird he had been feeding to notice her. His eyes brightened the way nobody’s had at Oresnya’s appearance since she had been in the mountain city. Reciprocating the cheerful feeling, Oresnya beamed her best smile back to him, one that showed off her fangs. Realizing this, she closed her mouth bashfully before chirping out in her best Nari.

“Hello, Valtrrrik.”

Val shook his head and laughed, an emotion the many birds in the room seemed to pick up on as they began to make a cheery ruckus of their own sounds that drowned out his own. “That won’t do.” He spoke in Common for her benefit.

Oresnya dropped back into Common herself. “Did I say it wrong?”

“I was talking about your smile, Oresnya. Yes, it’s different, and fangs are sure to get you noticed, not in a good way, but you won’t be escaping notice any time soon. You are what you are. Embrace it. Besides, we Inarta are not fond of people hiding things or being secretive. We are forward and embrace others who are forward themselves.”

“I’ll do my best to remember that.” Oresnya beamed her smile again, feeling the skin of her lips slip over her fangs.

Val smiled warmly. “But you did say it wrong.”

Oresnya’s face fell which only brought another laugh from Val.

“Don’t worry. It’ll be the first thing we work on.”

A hopeful look entered his eyes as he began searching her for something. Remembering the tea, Oresnya held it out to him. “A little something from home.”
Last edited by Oresnya Cacao on February 29th, 2020, 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oresnya Cacao
The Chain sets us free.

Words: 167371
Joined roleplay: July 3rd, 2018, 3:38 am
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Featured Character (1)

Chirpy

Postby Oresnya Cacao on February 29th, 2020, 3:49 pm

Taking the small bag from Oresnya, Val took a deep breath of it through his nose. “Hmm. It’s unlike anything I’ve ever smelled. It is delightful though.”

Oresnya smiled again. “Be careful with it. We do use it to put the Dra to bed at night.”

Val laughed again as he put a kettle over the fire. “I’ll keep that in mind. We don’t want either of us falling asleep during the lesson. Now, let’s get to things. We want you pronouncing things correctly. We can’t have people thinking you’re a krric troo.”

Oresnya sat down at Val’s invitation and brought her legs up on to the seat, crossing them comfortably to listen to what it was he had to say.

Watching his pupil for just a moment, Val sized her up, sifting through what little he knew about her to devise a lesson that would play to her strengths in learning. “You seem like you have a good ear on you, Oresnya. I’m gonna laugh again. Listen to the sounds my feathered friends make.”

Oresnya closed her eyes and waited. Val laughed again, a warm sound that filled the room but was soon drowned out by the cacophony of noises that erupted from the various birds throughout the gatehouse room. Whistles, chirps, and song dominated, and after a few ticks of listening and identifying individual sounds among the general hubbub, Oresnya opened her eyes to see if she could match some of them to the birds that made them. It took a few more ticks for her to see several connections, and as the sound died down and several bird voices petered out, she identified a few more.

Val sat down opposite her and spread his arms, gesturing to the many winged creatures about them. “This is the base for Nari. Every sound birds make was considered in its creation, and it was crafted to be a concise language but a language of song as well.”

Oresnya nodded. “I hear birdsong- whistles, chirps, coos, and the like- but what about the harsher sounds that I always hear?”

“Good ear. When I laugh, they are happy, so the sounds we get are happier. It also depends on the bird itself as to what sounds they will make. Sure, there are whistles, chirps, coos, and song, but we also have hisses and clicks, honks and trumpets, even the ruckus and chortle and caw of crows and ravens.” Leaning back, Val closed his eyes. “It’s all there if you listen to it, listen for it, all adapted for a human tongue, of course. Some human sounds were necessary to integrate, but it mostly stems from the languages that already existed before us.”

Oresnya smiled at that last statement. “Isn’t every language?”

Val shrugged. “We’re not sure what predated the ancient tongue.”

“But something did. Something always does. That is the way of everything. Everything always comes from something before it.”

“What about at the beginning?”

Oresnya chuckled. “No no no. We aren’t doing that. Language lessons today. Philosophy can come another time.”

Val joined her chuckling, and the birds about them whispered softer songs in a brief flutter of voices that died down quickly. “Fair. Let’s start with something simple, words you already know, so you can focus on pronunciation.”

“How about numbers?”

“Numbers are good. They cover most of the sounds.”
Oresnya Cacao
The Chain sets us free.

Words: 167371
Joined roleplay: July 3rd, 2018, 3:38 am
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Featured Character (1)