Completed Goodbye Scribe

Lani purchased the kontinese book, and Kavisan has a surprise for her.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The westernmost tip of Kalea, Wind Reach is home to an amazing group of people and their giant eagle mounts. [Lore]

Goodbye Scribe

Postby Lani Stranger on April 16th, 2019, 4:41 am

4th of Spring, 519AV,

It had been three days, and while Lani had not forgotten about her copy of the Kontinese Book “Graces and Prayers” that was being held hostage by Kavisan, she did not look at Kavisan’s desk with hope much longer. Still, she could not help a passing glance, just to make sure it wasn’t there, if she could recognize it at least.

”Good morning Kavisan,” She said her usual good morning, and was answered with a half-hearted hrumph like normal. It seems the head librarian may have forgotten about the book. Unable to stop herself, she hesitated, by his desk, watching as mossy green eyes raised to give her an expected, and slightly irritated look.

”Um, do you have the book that I buy?” She asked, unsure if the wording was too direct and would cause offense. The Avora’s face did not change for a few ticks, and then he brought one hand up to wave her away.

”Oh, yeah. I’ll give it to you later.”

”I should pay now… or later?” She asked. She would have to start working, and she didn’t exactly want to be pulling her pinions out at her desk in front of the other Chiet. The head librarian looked up at her lazily.

”Yeah, I guess now would work.” He sighed, almost bored with the exchange. She stood, a little nervous and a little curious as to why he took the copy from her to get bound, when she was perfectly capable of binding it herself. Kavisan moved some things around on his desk for a tick before turning to her. ”Ten pinions.” He said, and Lani was not about to argue with the price, having expected to pay full price for the book anyway. She was digging out the glass coins when he clarified. ”I would have only charged you five for the material, but since you wanted it specially bound, it was another five.”

Lani handed over the pinions quizzically. If she had remembered correctly, which she doubted she had mistaken something that obvious, he has swept through and gathered her copied work once it was complete, before she had a chance to bind it herself. He told her Hirro would bind it, and did not give her an option. She did not fight him, but that didn’t mean she asked for it? Still, Lani was rolling in more coins than anyone in her caste, and so she did not complain, eager to see what work Hirro had done with her book anyway. Kavisan pocketed the coins, and then pushed his chair back, standing and waved her to follow him.

Lani followed Kavisan to the back room, where he pulled an elegant book from the complete shelf, brushing the cover lightly and then showing it to her. Lani raised her eyebrows, seeing that Hirro had worked hard on it. It was not anything particularly extravagant, but it was a tight and neat bind, better than anything she could have done. The leather was undyed and simple, although it had been oiled to a deep brown. On the cover was an elegantly cut title, in Kontinese, with patterns pressed into the indent. Although no other pictures or artwork decorated the bind, it was secured neatly with a buckle, and was overall a very elegant book, if simple.

”Oh wow, this is… beautiful.” She said, instinctively reaching for it. Kavisan did not snatch it from her, but instead redirected her, opening the book using something that was resting inside as a book mark. He held the string bookmark, which did not seem attached to the book, in his hand and then opened the page so Lani could see, pointing to two lines of text.

”You mentioned that you spoke Kontinese? I am assuming you can read it?” He asked, and Lani looked at him earnestly, a slight curiosity pulling her closer to the book now. She nodded in reply, and he continued. ”And here I thought you were too dumb to learn a second language, and it turns out you now know three.” He mused. Four. She inwardly corrected, but didn’t think it was worth interrupting him. She could tell he was gearing up for a question, and she wanted to hear it.
Lani Stranger
Wanderer

Words: 697231
Joined roleplay: March 21st, 2014, 11:48 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)
Wind Reach Seasonal  Challenge (1) Power Fork (1)
2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Goodbye Scribe

Postby Lani Stranger on April 16th, 2019, 4:44 am

”So tell me, daughter of a Konti, what does this passage say? Can you read it?” He asked, and Lani nodded, recognizing the passage. She did not understand all the words or passages in the book, but she had read through them all countless times, regardless of whether she fully understood this one. This one, although, she recognized.

For in a moment of passion, I will reach out to Nikali. In a moment of love, to Cheva. In a moment of thought to Leth. But only for my time in memory, do I beg for the essence of Qalaya, and read her in my words.[i]” Lani recited the Kontinese out loud, before digesting it. She could better tell him what it meant in Common than in Nari, but she attempted it nonetheless. ”I think it is… thanks to the Gods. Nikali, for um… not love, but what is physical love?”

”Sex?”

”Sort of, like… quick and no lasting love?”

”Lust?”

”Sort of… Well, Nikali for, um, Lust. To Cheva for love. To Leth for thought. And to Qalaya for, um, words… and memory.” Lani struggled, finding the appropriate Nari translations. Her mind was slowing her down, wanting to translate the Kontinese to Common and then to Nari, but like Val had told her so many times before, that was ineffective. ”[i] But only for my time in memory, do I beg for the essence of Qalaya, and read her in my words.[ She said she remembers… in time… asking Qalaya… something to read. I’m sorry, Kavisan. I understand in Kontinese, I cannot speak in Nari.”

”That’s fine, Lani.” Kavisan said dismissively, and took the book from her hands. She got the overwhelming sense that he had a bit of disappointment in her, or in not being able to understand the prose written in the book. But he had chosen that passage to ask her to read for a reason, and as he revealed the book mark that had stored the page for him, Lani took a small breathe in. It was Qalaya’s symbol, like she had read in the Enclave so long ago. Lani was quick to put the two details together, realizing he must have skimmed the book, and the word had caught his eye. Among other Gods listed in the book, this was the only mention of Qalaya. Well, not the only mention, the passage continued on to praise the Gods mentioned at the top, although in much more words than just their names, and in Kontinese which even stumped Lani at times, although she was working on understanding it, it was difficult with no other resources or Konti to ask.

”Look here,” He directed, taking her left hand and spreading her fingers so he could press the symbol into her hand. ”This is Qalaya’s medallion. The old Head Librarian had given it to me as a Yasi. It is nothing particularly special, but she had told me that Qalaya would be proud of my work to preserve Wind Reach’s memory through writing. We are a harsh people, and our first duty to our people is survival. Still, we are rich in tradition, and we have much to learn from our past and what has happened here. In the past twenty years alone, most of our foreign visitors had brought the God’s attention to us. From the release of Ivak, to the strange Isur and his interest in the dead Gods… Even the Ascension of Glav Navik. Wind Reach has been the center of many powerful and ethereal events, and although we scribes do not often contribute, we have the very important job of witnessing and writing. Of preserving the collective memory and offering wisdom to future generations who can learn through us.”
Lani Stranger
Wanderer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Goodbye Scribe

Postby Lani Stranger on April 16th, 2019, 4:49 am

“Qalaya is a power Goddess, an ancient, whose realm was deeply wounded by the Valterrian. She is vastly underworshiped, and for the few of us who recognize her glory, we must remain humbled. I did not like you Lani, not when I first met you.” The grave and mystic tone of his voice was fading to a slightly more relaxed tone, but Lani did not pay attention to the insult, entranced by his words. ”You were too loud, too proud, and cared too much for the physical things in life. You were trying to keep up with an Endal, of all people, and I didn’t think you had the focus for scribework. But you’ve proven me wrong. You have an odd dedication to you, and you’ve done good work with what you were given. Now, don’t let my words go to your head, I doubt you are of any material to attract the interest of a God, but you are loyal to Qalaya’s realm, and it is about time you learn of her. Qalaya, mother of memory and writing. This medallion can be yours now, because I have faith you will continue to serve her in Lhavit.”

For a few ticks Lani was unable to speak. Kavisan left the medallion in her hand, and she let her fingers softly close around the thick gold symbol. ”Oh, uh, thank you. Thank you, Kavisan.” She stumbled, finding gravity in her voice to thank the man. Almost immediately she felt as though she were not alone. Not in the way that Kavisan was standing directly in front of her or that she could hear the storytellers beginning in the well, but as if by holding this symbol, she, somehow, had a connection to some divine power. As if she could call for Qalaya and was sure to get a response. The gravity of the realization spooked her slightly, and she switched the medallion in her hands, suddenly aware of her thoughts and how they could be construed by whoever listened through this medallion.

”Don’t waste my efforts, Lani.” Kavisan warned, returning to his usual grumpy self, and she clutched the gold symbol to her neck, looking over at him and gulping, giving a slight nod.

”I won’t Kavisan. This means… so much. Thank you.” She repeated, suddenly grateful for the small gift, and unsure of how to properly express it. The grumpy Avora seemed to fear the idea of any further words, and raised a hand to wave her words away in his typical fashion.

”Actually, I would prefer if you didn’t mention it. One of my Chiet apprentices would be jealous, although I still feel this is the right decision. I know that you do not belong here… and I think you know that too. But you can sere Qalaya in Lhavit, and I expect that you will. This, should help.” He said, a finality to his voice. Lani let her liquid black gaze graze Qalaya’s name in the book one last time before letting it close and holding the medallion to her heart, realizing its meaning and gravity.

”Wait.” She said, realizing what Kavisan’s words meant. She had not announced that she was leaving yet, she had just over fourteen days when the Svefra said they would leave, and she had only made agreements with the Valintar the day before… unless the Valintar had told Kavisan. ”I was to tell you.” She said, her heart dropping at the realization that Kavisan might be offended she didn’t tell him immediately.

”Don’t worry about it, Lani. I got a message after you left for the evening yesterday.” Kavisan waved her worry away, but without emotion on his face so that she could not identify if he was actually offended or not. ”You weren’t made for this place, anyway.” He said, dismissively, and her heart sank a bit. It was true, she did not fit well with Wind Reach, and of all the Inarta she had met, only two could be considered friends… or, she supposed now, three. She didn’t understand the societal norms, and she didn’t racially belong. But it seemed she had found her niche, next to Kavisan and Val, with writing and language. No matter where she went, those two things would always follow her, even in Wind Reach.

”Thank you Kavisan, I will remember this, and you.” She said, earnestly to him, her limited vocabulary not able to give her the words she needed to tell him. He seemed to understand her meaning, and she saw him nod. A small part of her wanted to hug the Avora, but she doubted that would go over well Instead she nodded back at him, letting a grin spread across her face. He rolled his eyes at the expression, which only made her grin wider, and he brushed past her.

Note :
Acquisition thread for this item.

-10 Pinions
+Poetry and Prayer Book
+Qalaya's Medallion
Lani Stranger
Wanderer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes