Completed Time for Two

Autumn visits her favorite person

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

Time for Two

Postby Autumn Rose on November 26th, 2019, 5:34 am

Fall the 52nd, 519 AV

Candace's house
A thrill filled Autumn, a giddiness that she hadn’t felt for a long time, not since Maro and not until recently. Tonight, she was going to visit her favorite person in the entire world. While others tended to show fear and discomfort at Autumn’s appearance, this individual did not. She welcomed Autumn any time the ghost showed up. Since the two had met, Autumn had made sure to visit at least every other day, sometimes more frequently and less often less. Every time, her friend greeted her with the same smile, and that made Autumn happy she had decided to come.

The night had just begun, Syna’s light having given way to the light of the stars, and pleasant conversation and light laughter wafted its way through the walls to be heard the passers by and by Autumn who lingered just outside her friend’s window. Ghosts weren’t welcomed by most, and Autumn was certain her friend’s parents would not approve of their friendship. That was why every night she came her routine was the same.

First, with her shoulders letting the night air roll through them inconsequentially, Autumn slipped through the window of the second story. It didn’t matter that the window catch was firmly latched. It didn’t matter that the glass panels of the window were well made and wouldn’t let any wind through. Autumn could have found her way inside if it had been a solid wall.

Secondly, she kept her essence unmaterialized, floating in the nothingness and listening to the things around her, waiting for her friend’s parents to leave before she wove herself out of the void and into existence. Several times she had entered her friend’s room and had found her parents present, and patiently Autumn waited for them to finish talking and say good night.

Then, when they were alone with nothing more than the glitter of Lhavit and Zintila’s stars peeking through the panes of the window, Autumn breathed a life into the room that the living could not. Harnessing every bit of the strength of her soul that she could for her friend’s sake, Autumn would appear in as much color as she could muster, stand over her friend’s bed, and whisper a greeting. Sometimes, her friend was already awake, eagerly waiting Autumn’s arrival it seemed, while other times she was still asleep. Either way, it didn’t matter. As soon as her eyes fell on Autumn, a smile rose to her face.

And then Autumn would spend a few hours with her friend, sometimes doing nothing but exist in the presence of each other and sometimes holding a long conversation in which Autumn revealed some new amazing thing she had seen in her long existence on Mizahar.

Tonight was no different. Her friend’s parents were entertaining friends downstairs, and so Autumn breezed through the window, ruffling the curtains with a playfully placed shove of projected mist as if she were some errant autumn gust that had found a way around the shutter. Finding the room empty as she had already suspected it would be, Autumn began her steady transformation from empty air to beautiful yet ethereal young woman.

Hers had always been a gentle materialization, like the slow dawning of a memory whose finer points were hazy but erupted in their full glory if given enough time. Always the most vibrant and detailed were her eyes, and they were always in full color. As her materialization came into its full effect, Autumn leaned over the cradle and whispered at the baby inside.

“Candace, wake up. I’m here.”

Sleepy eyes opened slowly and looked at the figure standing over her. Her small face contorted, twisting up as if the baby was about to cry.

Autumn reached down, her voice beginning to make the soft coos and hushing noises most people used to placate babies and young children, but before her hands even touched the child, before she could speak her first sentence, a smile burst across Candace’s face. A chortle-giggle, like the ones only a child her age could make, escaped Candace’s lips as she drooled on herself.

Autumn laughed but not so loudly those downstairs would hear. “You brat! I almost thought you were going to out me. Don’t do that again.”

Candace looked at Autumn curiously, then smiled even brighter, and chortled again.
Last edited by Autumn Rose on December 5th, 2019, 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Autumn Rose
Even weightless, I'm a burden.

Words: 223913
Joined roleplay: July 20th, 2019, 12:12 am
Race: Ghost
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)

Time for Two

Postby Autumn Rose on December 1st, 2019, 1:09 am

Autumn smiled at Candace again. “Brat.”

Tonight, she had come fully intending to practice possession on the child, but Candace’s antics had twisted Autumn’s spirit to more playful ideas, more jovial thoughts.

Leaning over the crib, Autumn whispered. “What do you wanna do tonight, Candace?”

Candace chirped something unintelligible, laughed, and drooled again.

“A bedtime story?” Autumn enjoyed making up whatever the girl was saying. “It’s far too early to go to bed. Hmm. Let me think a moment.”

Reaching down next to the child’s face, Autumn focused several strands of mist into one materialized fingertip and gently pushed downward toward Candace’s saliva-covered cheek. Her fingers had sunk through the living flesh a knuckle deep before an indent appeared on the child’s skin. It wasn’t much, but the push didn’t need to be strong to remove slobber. Sweeping her hand toward Candace’s chin, Autumn focused as she did so, keeping the push concentrated in one spot slightly angled to gather as much spittle as possible. As her projected and materialized hand left the surface of Candace’s skin, the saliva stuck to it until she pressed it against the child’s shirt. Not everything had come away, and so in the same careful fashion, Autumn wiped the child’s cheek again and again and again until none remained.

Autumn smiled at the way Candace reacted to her touch. As soul sank into flesh, the child’s face twisted up as if she was about to sneeze, but nothing came. For nearly a full chime after Autumn had stopped wiping things away, Candace held the same face and then, with a vehement utterance, giggled again.

“I’ll tell you a story, but not a bed time story. I don’t want you falling asleep on me. I’m bored, and I need someone to keep me company, and the only other person who I think would even care is keeping someone else company tonight.” Her eyes narrowed a little. “We’re not going to talk about what Gweneveh does for a very long time. Don’t even think about asking me what that last euphemism meant.”

Candace’s next words sounded like a question, and Autumn shook her head. “I said don’t ask.”

Candace retorted with something snippy.

“Don’t make excuses, young lady. I’m older than you, and that makes me the boss.”

Candace made a questioning gurgle again.

“How much older? That’s impolite to ask. But it can be our secret.” Autumn dropped her whisper even lower. “I just turned seventy-three.”

The baby’s deep green eyes widened, and she went silent.

“Oh, come on. That’s hardly that old. Besides, I look damn good for my age.”

Candace suddenly yelled loudly, a string of nonsense, and Autumn rushed to quiet her.

“I can curse if I want to. I’m a grown up. Now stop distracting me. I’ve gotta think of a good story to tell you.”

While she thought, Autumn played a game to entertain Candace. She would suddenly let all materialized color fade out of her eye, then bring the color back again. In this way, her eyes flashed blue and gray, and Candace watched, completely mesmerized for a half a bell until Autumn came up with something.

“I know just the thing. Have I ever told you about Maro?”

Candace’s unimpressed baby gurgle said that was all Autumn ever talked about. It was the truth, but Autumn would not be dismissed so easily. “I’ve told you about him, but I’ve never shown you him.”

Removing her necklace, she dangled it over Candace. It was an odd creation. Originally gifted to her by the Goddess of Death, it had since taken on new characteristics in an accident involving a pot. It was now both ethereal and corporeal, but its most miraculous quality was its ability to store her good memories. Candace reached for one of its glowing beads, but Autumn redirected the tiny hand to a different bead, closing her hand around Candace’s and willing both of them to share her memory.
Autumn Rose

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Mizahar Grader (1)

Time for Two

Postby Autumn Rose on December 1st, 2019, 10:34 pm

Nights were the worst. Nights were when Autumn waited alone with nothing but her thoughts, and her thoughts were not good company. In the day time, she had Maro, if she so chose, but the living needed sleep, and Maro, like most, got his sleep at night time. Days were alright. Nights were the worst, because Autumn had plenty of unpleasant things to think about.

That’s where she was this particular night. Her mind was pouring over the many things she had weathered during her life, and in seeming response to these thoughts, the weather outside turned bleak. The day had been overcast, and in the evening, thunderheads had gathered on the horizon. Now, the prophecy of storm had come true.

Outside, flashes of lightning found their way through the window to brighten the room, only to instantly be chased away by the thunderclap that followed. The storm was on them. Rain pelted the windows and the roof in a chaotic tattoo that stirred different thoughts in Autumn’s head. There were images of music and the sound of dancing, and suddenly she found herself thanking the storm for its presence. It shattered the quiet dark of night with light and sound. In the usual emptiness of night, there was something to fill it and her thoughts with something other than what she usually found to fill the void.

Nearly a half bell passed with her listening to the music in her head when lightning struck so nearby the entire room lit in wonderous detail simultaneously with the crack of thunder that came with it. Rather than bolting upright, Maro merely stirred on his side of the bed next to her. A greedy, selfish part of Autumn hoped the thunder woke him, that he would be awake for a while to keep her company. As if Lhex had granted her some boon, manipulated fate in her favor, Maro sat up, rubbing his eyes and looking about the room to try to figure out what had woken him. A second thunderclap followed closely to give him his answer.

He looked over to her side of the bed, searching for her form. She was not materialized, so he didn’t find it. “Autumn, are you awake?”

She adored his voice, though there was nothing special about it. His wasn’t the gruff grumble of distant thunder or a baritone with perfect timbre, but it was his voice. Perhaps that made it special. “You know I don’t sleep.”

He had always described her materialization as a dawning. She liked this and kept most of her materializations slow, just for him. It began as a low shimmer of the air and built, more details adding themselves until her face was formed.

She spoke as her body continued to fill in beneath her. “What is it?”

“Did you hear the thunder?”

Her head cocked to one side as she regarded him curiously, one of the many habits she had picked up from him in their short time together. She couldn’t count how many he’d picked up from her, mostly because she didn’t realize it was her he’d learned them from. Fear was not his way. Curiosity was. “Don’t tell me you’re afraid.”

“Of course not. I want to go out into it.”

Another bolt of lightning illuminated his face, revealing the excitement she should have heard in his voice. She was more distracted than she thought. “Maro, you’re ridiculous.” Pretending a yawn, she tested his resolve. “Aren’t you tired?”

“Not anymore. Come on, Autumn. It’ll be fun.”

“Not if you get sick.”

“I don’t get sick. Besides, I wouldn’t miss this for anything. Come on.”

She could only laugh at his childish insistence. “Fine. Get dressed, and we’ll go out.”

“I was actually thinking of going out without anything on.”

“You mean as a jackal?”

He nodded, so she shrugged her shoulders and walked to the door, looking over one shoulder as he stripped off what little clothing he slept in. Maro was not a handsome man. In fact, he was scrawny to the point of bony, but he had a kindness in his face and a curiosity in his eyes that made Autumn enjoy his presence all that much more. He was hers, and that made him somehow attractive to her.

On the cusp of the doorway, Maro paused and shivered, not a shiver of cold but a shiver of anticipation, like a lover awaiting the touch of their beloved, though he was too young and too distracted by the world and by Autumn to know what these things meant.

In the space of a few moments, they were outdoors, and in a flash of light that coincided with a bolt of lightning, Maro stood at her feet, jackal hackles raised as he hurled a defiant bark at the storm. Laughing, half at him and half at the attempts of the rain to soak her, she began to stride through the streets of Black Rock, the song playing itself in her head again as she went.

Twirling, she began to dance, her weightless feet infinitely more graceful than they had been in life, and as Maro bounded through the puddles around her, Autumn reached out with her toe tips projecting as much of a push as she could manage, catching the top of a puddle and flinging an arc of water that got lost in the torrential downpour.

They continued this way for several bells until Maro was soaked to the bone, then made their way back to their little house. Together, they built a fire and lay before it, Maro’s shivering subsiding while Autumn made his ear twitch with a devious materialized finger. When she’d had her fun with that game, she pulled down a book from the table, opened it to her favorite story, and read it to its end, though she knew he’d fallen asleep in the middle.

For another bell, Autumn watched him slumber, content and dreamless in his exhaustion, the rise and fall of his chest her only companion until the light of the fire died out.

Autumn blinked as she was torn back to the reality that didn’t have Maro in it, and tears, unbidden by her materialization, forced themselves into her eyes. She let them spill out, the nonexistent droplets evaporating into the air before they could fall too far, but she smiled at the child below her. Candace wasn’t Maro. She would never be, but she was a friendly face when she needed one. Candace was a spark of hope.

“That was Maro.” That would have been obvious enough to most adults, but Autumn figured a child could use these things explained a little more. “He was incredible. You will never be that incredible, but you will be you. And that’s enough.”

The child, for her part, was still trying to figure out how they had ended up out of this world and suddenly back into it again. It took several chimes, but eventually, Candace decided the entire experience had been pleasant over all and giggled. In what Autumn could only assume was an imitation of her and Maro’s defiance of the storm, Candace dropped the giggle and screamed as loud as she could, only to stop and giggle again. Several repetitions of this had her parents stirring below, and when Autumn heard footsteps on the stairs, she knew their time together tonight was ending.

“Your parents won’t be thrilled to find me here. I’ve gotta go, but I’ll be back. Good night, Candace.”
Autumn Rose

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Mizahar Grader (1)

Time for Two

Postby Ennisa on January 9th, 2020, 3:23 pm

Grades Awarded

Please edit your grade request, thanks!
Autumn

Skills

Soulmist Projection: +2
Materialization: +2

Lores

Materialization: Autumn’s gentle dawning
Materialization: Changing eye colors
Candance: Autumn’s young friend
Candance: A bubbly baby
Candance: Interpreting her babble
Bead Memory: Rain, Maro, and the Thunderstorm

Penalties/Awards

Ledger:
Item(s):
Health:

Notes

That was sparkling and adorable. Your writing is very emotive, and this thread was particularly bitter-sweet. I feel like I've missed something out, so if there was anything else you wanted particularly (more on the bead memory for example), please let me know.

Otherwise, keep at it! :D
Sharai | Shinyama | Zintia (home) | Tenten | Sartu (work)
4-6, Dawn Rest | 10-12, Noon Rest | 16-18, Dusk Rest | 22-24, Midnight Rest

Ennisa
Miss Chievious

Words: 261967
Joined roleplay: September 8th, 2019, 11:05 am
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Mizahar Grader (1)