Where We’re Going

Ambrosia secures passage for Shiress and herself to Zeltiva

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

While Sylira is by far the most civilized region of Mizahar, countless surprises and encounters await the traveler in its rural wilderness. Called the Wildlands, Syliran's wilderness is comprised of gradual rolling hills in the south that become deep wilderness in the north. Ruins abound throughout the wildlands, and only the well-marked roads are safe.

Where We’re Going

Postby Ambrosia Alar on May 31st, 2020, 10:29 pm

Spring the 90th, 520 AV

Saying goodbye without actually saying the words proved to be a difficult thing. It was perhaps the most difficult thing Ambrosia had ever had to do.

Shiress had been attacked just last night, and now, one thing was certain. They needed to get her out of Ravok. The funds weren’t a concern. Shiress had enough left of Elias’ dwindling funds to get them away. The only difficulty was finding passage safe enough to get them there, wherever there was. Shiress had something in mind, family in Zeltiva, so Ambrosia set her mind to that. Unaccustomed to life on the road and in the wilds, Ambrosia knew she would have to find a caravan well-enough supplied and protected to make up for her incompetence. And for Shiress’ too, she imagined. The real trick would be finding anyone who would be willing to take on wounded, pregnant woman for a journey across land to the port at Nyka.

Opportunity.

That was what Jeb had called it, and Lhex was kind enough to have left that opportunity open for Ambrosia. A trader had come by early in the season, and his work must have kept him in town a while, because he was still here. He was present in the Silver Sliver the way he often had been for the last fifty or so days.

She didn’t go to him right away though. There were several reasons for this.

The first was need. Not the necessity of waiting. No. Creating need. She had to draw his desire for her to its height, not that that was a hard thing to do. Over the past weeks, he had lost any subtlety and had made his intentions well-known. That, and she needed to not seem desperate herself. If she was aloof, if she didn’t seem like she needed him, then she could bargain better.

The second reason was that she didn’t know who was watching. Someone could know Ambrosia’s connection to Shiress and be watching her for a way back to mother-to-be. If Ambrosia acted like she was in a hurry to leave, anyone watching would know for sure that she knew where Shiress was. The one thing she couldn’t do was give things away.

The last thing was that she still needed to say goodbye. Though she hadn’t been in Ravok long, Ambrosia had made as much of a home of it as she could, and hate it as she did, she had a bad habit of attaching herself easily to others. Complete strangers from a few seasons back were now old friends, fast friends, with bonds of loyalty that ran deeper than blood. This tavern was a place of safety for everyone in it, and everyone in it, all the regulars at least, would fight tooth and nail to protect any of the other regulars. With only days left, Ambrosia knew she had to say goodbye. She just knew she couldn’t say it.

For those reasons, she sought out someone else first, anyone else. Besides, she had a lot of goodbyes to say, and she didn’t know how to say them.
Ambrosia Alar
"The kid's got smiles for days."

Words: 242735
Joined roleplay: September 28th, 2014, 2:54 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 6
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (2)
Mizahar Mentor (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Donor (1)

Where We’re Going

Postby Ambrosia Alar on August 31st, 2020, 11:31 pm

One face caught Ambrosia’s eye right away. It was Sean. Sean the victorious. Sean who at just the beginning of the season had been on top of the world. Sean who now looked like the bar stool could crash out from underneath him and that would be an improvement on life.

The reason for his victory was Marianne. She was the unattainable jewel of the Silver Sliver, the subject of most every man’s best fantasies, and she, inexplicably, had said yes to Sean. For the next half season, Sean’s spirits had soared as he grew closer to Marianne and began to know her more and more. For fifty sweet days, he had known nothing but bliss. None of the worries that plagued him, none of the day to day ills and misfortunes, could undo his happiness. He had Marianne. Or she had him. To Sean, it didn’t matter. Marianne was his victory.

And she was his downfall. A week ago, she had found some fault him or grown unfond of him, which it was no one knew because neither Marianne nor Sean would say, but the two split. He had, in the passing of a few days, known his highest high and his lowest low. Crushed. That was what Ambrosia saw when she looked at him.

Filling a mug with ale, she tracked across the bar, flashing the trader, Amarius Larto, a smile as she did. He smiled back, drained his mug, then pointed to it in hopes for a refill. An upheld finger told him he’d have to wait, but when Ambrosia threw him a wink and a smile, he suddenly didn’t mind waiting.

Setting the beer on the bar, Ambrosia sat on the stool next to Sean. She slid the beer over to Sean, but he stopped it and slid it back.

“I can’t afford a drink tonight, Ambrosia.”

“Not even an ale?”

He shook his head.

Sliding it back in front of him, she left it there. “Someone will pay for it. Drink up. You need it.”

Sean opened his mouth to say something, couldn’t find the words, and closed it again. He looked down into the mug, muttered ‘thank you’, and took several long, deep swigs.

Leaning sideways, Ambrosia tilted until her head was resting against his shoulder. “Wanna talk about it?”

She felt his body shift and knew he was shaking his head. He sighed, and she sighed in response. She sat there for several moments, not knowing how to comfort him, and that lack of knowing made her uncomfortable.

Reaching over, she slid his beer back. “Give that to me.”

She took several gulps, thought about it, and drained the whole thing. Catching Jeb’s eye, she pointed at the mug and slid it toward him.

Jeb squinted his eyes skeptically and slid it back. “You work here. Fill it yourself.”

Pouting, Ambrosia gave him her best puppy dog eyes. “But I’m on this side of the bar, and you’re already up.”

Jeb glared.

Ambrosia pushed the mug back toward him and gave him her best smile. “Please?”

Jeb glowered but took the mug and filled it, bringing it back and setting it before her. She slid it over to Sean. “You sure you don’t wanna talk about it?”

He shook his head again.

“Alright, love. You let that beer take care of you, but I ain’t done pestering you tonight. ‘kay?”

He nodded, and with him looked after, Ambrosia turned back to Alarius.
Ambrosia Alar

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Donor (1)

Where We’re Going

Postby Ambrosia Alar on September 1st, 2020, 2:13 am

His empty drink was the last thing on his mind. He watched Ambrosia as she approached. Ambrosia was used to ogling. She’d drawn it all her life, but the man turned it into an art form. She could practically see the fantasies spinning off his mind as the gears turned. Knowing he was watching, she took her time getting there. She needed him to need her. Ambrosia was pretty sure he was on fantasy number four or five by the time she arrived.

“Alarius, I thought work was gonna steal you from us?”

“It’s going to. I leave soon. The journey would be better with company.”

Brushing off the comment as she always did, she still managed to keep giving him hope. She couldn’t bite on the invitation too soon. She couldn’t appear too eager. “Well, I for one, am glad you ain’t gone yet.”

“Why’s that? Hoping you could come with me?”

“No. If you were gone, that woulda meant you had left without saying goodbye. You ain’t supposed to go around breaking girls’ hearts like that.”

“You don’t have to be heartbroken if you come with me.” He was still trying, and Ambrosia was content to let him keep trying a while longer. She had the whole night to play him.

“Did you need a refill on that drink?”

He shook his head, disappointed that he couldn’t get the response he wanted, but held out the mug for her to fill.

“Ale?”

“Make it a sliver and be sure to pour yourself one as well.”

“For me?” Ambrosia raised her eyebrows. “You sure? It gets pricey buying drinks like that for others.”

“It isn’t just for anyone. It’s for you. Well worth it.”

Ambrosia gave him a smile for that, one of her best ones, and wandered back to the bar to get the drinks. She meandered, giving him plenty of time to watch her leave. The view from behind seemed to be his favorite. It wasn’t just the way one curve worked itself into the next. He was fascinated with the scars that covered her shoulders, and they were one thing Ambrosia was not ashamed of. After all, she’d gotten them doing something heroic. There were still favors owed to her in Alvadas over that, but it would be a long while before she was back to cash in on them. If her geography was right, they would be headed farther eastward very shortly.

On her way to the bar, she checked in with several other tables to see if they were good on drinks, just to extend the time her back was to him a little longer. Quickly memorizing what drinks were needed, she got them all filled and skirted between everyone as nimbly as she could, depositing drinks on the way until she was left with only two silver slivers.

Taking a seat next to him now that everyone had been momentarily seen to, ambrosia toasted him. “To wealthy drinking buddies.”

He laughed and returned the toast. “To expensive ones.”

“Expensive ones that are worth it.”

He nodded. “I did say that, didn’t I?” Taking a pensive drink of his sliver, he pointed to Sean. “The gentleman at the bar, who is he?”

“Sean? He’s one of our regulars. Why’d you wanna know?”

“Just curious as to why you are so ready to lean against the shoulder of another man, but you hardly ever give me the time of day.”

Ambrosia laughed at that, and though the Sliver was always a cheery place, it seemed brighter for her intervention. “Sean? Are you jealous?”

Alarius shrugged.

Ambrosia’s smile softened, and she even reached out, placing a comforting hand on his arm. “There ain’t a thing to be jealous of. Sean is just a boy, but he’s a friend, a friend who’s been through a heartbreak. I was comforting him. Nothing more.”

“Heartbreak?”

“He was the one who caught Marianne’s eye, even if it was just for a moment.”

Alarius’ eyes contained something in that moment Ambrosia had not seen in them the entire rest of the season. Empathy. “Poor kid. I pity him.”

“So did I. That’s why I brought him a drink even when he didn’t have the coin for it. I figured someone would cover it for him.”

A hefty pile of coins found their way out of his pocket and on to the table before Ambrosia. “Make sure he’s got enough to drink until he’s either happy or he forgets he’s sad.”

Ambrosia smiled. “I think we can manage that.” She looked at Sean’s slumped shoulders. “Maybe I should go check on him now. Are you okay for a little while, love?”

At his nod, Ambrosia was back on her feet, greeting a small group as they walked through the door.
Ambrosia Alar

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Donor (1)

Where We’re Going

Postby Ambrosia Alar on September 1st, 2020, 3:40 am

What ensued was a flurry of newcomers who were all made thirsty by the labors of their work or the labors of their spirits, and the one thing that was certain was that spirits were the only fix. A bell passed before Ambrosia was able to return to either of the two men she’d been looking after already, and though she wanted to get back to Alarius, she decided to check on Sean first.

Sean was at the end of his first drink and had probably been there for a good while. When a fresh ale was placed before him, he slid it toward himself questioningly. “Did someone buy another one for me?”

“Alarius has you covered for the night.”

Sean turned around and lifted his mug in thanks, and Alarius responded in kind, flashing a big, confident smile. She was beginning to see some charm in the man, despite his overbearing nature. When Sean turned back, he looked like he was a little more ready to talk. The alcohol was doing its job. It had a miraculous way of doing the unexpected. It warmed the cold. It turned some boisterous men sober. It opened closed and wounded hearts.

“You gonna be okay?”

He looked up, the uncertainty on his face overwhelming before he admitted, “I don’t know. I don’t think she could ever come back to me. Do you think she could?”

“She’ll be back.” Ambrosia’s warm smile filled him with confidence.

“Do you really think so.”

Ambrosia nodded. “She’ll be back.” Then she shrugged. “Or she won’t. But why should that keep you from having a good night now.” Her smile broadened. “Ed and Nickol just walked in. Oh, and Hai’s with ‘em, too.”

Sean chuckled. “That spells disaster.”

Ambrosia had to agree. “Yup. I’ll bring them on over.”

Flagging them down, she had a free drink waiting for both of them, courtesy of her admirer. “These are for you.”

“For free?” Ed was the skeptical sort who expected strings to be attached to everything. “What’s it going to cost me?”

“Nothing. That’s what free means.”

His eyes narrowed, his skepticism rising. “There’s not a damn thing that’s free in this world.”

“It’s from a secret admirer. Now accept it, ‘cause the cost ain’t on you tonight.”

Nickol took his free beer and his friends and downed them both hastily. “Hopefully, our secret admirers admire us greatly. Think they’re buying us another, Ambrosia?”

She laughed, set him up with another, and made sure Ed’s made it into Ed’s hands this time. Stories from the happenings of the day erupted, and Ambrosia spent several bells with them, only stepping away to fill the drinks she needed to. This was something she wished would never end.

“I don’t know what I’m gonna do when I ain’t got you boys around anymore.”

“Oh, Ambrosia, you aren’t ever getting rid of us.” Alcohol was only making Nickol more confident. “We’ve got secret admirers. Plus, we’re too good of drunks for anyone to kick us out.”

“I hope that’s true. I couldn’t stand to lose any of ya.”

“You’ll have us forever.” Nickol promised. “Tanroa will have passed, and our asses will still be in these seats at this bar, waiting for you to serve us our drinks.”

“And I will always find a way back to you.” It was an empty promise, but she hoped it would give them some comfort in the days to come when they realized she wasn’t coming back. “Now, I’ve gotta go visit my secret admirer.”

“There isn’t a damn thing secret about his admiration.”

Ambrosia laughed over her shoulder at them as she made her way over to Alarius once more. “No. No there ain’t.”
Ambrosia Alar

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Donor (1)

Where We’re Going

Postby Ambrosia Alar on September 1st, 2020, 4:21 am

“He looks happy,” Alarius commented as Ambrosia set his next drink in front of him. “I still pity him though.”

Ambrosia nodded sadly. “His pain won’t go away with just one night of happiness.”

“Oh, I’m not talking about that. I pity him that he can’t see that he’s chasing only the second most beautiful woman to grace this bar with her presence.”

Ambrosia began to cast her gaze around the bar for whoever it was that surpassed Marianne. She could appreciate beauty in whatever form it came in.

Alarius stopped her searching. “Just stop, Ambrosia. Modesty doesn’t suit you.”

She blushed at the compliment. It had been a while since anyone had managed to draw that kind of reaction from her. She’d just been feeling so numb from her capture and the lack of hope that she’d ever see her sisters again. Now, with this move, perhaps she was allowing herself to feel more.

“I still think you should come with me.”

Ambrosia had let things sit long enough. He was no longer sober, and if she waited too long, she’d run out of time. “And how far would you take me if I said yes?”

Sitting up straight, Alarius tried to clear the stupor from his mind, but Ambrosia could tell it only half worked. “You’ll go with me?”

“Depends on how far you’ll take me.”

“I’ll take you as far as I go. Home is Zeltiva. If you want to go farther, you’d have to wait for business to take me that way. Is that a yes?”

“Depends. Can I bring a couple friends with me? They’d pay their way, of course, but I’d hate to go anywhere without them.”

“Friends?”

“Just friends. They’re practically my family, but I can’t imagine going anywhere without them.”

He thought about it a moment. “The caravan will be well-protected to keep… business assets safe. I think we could manage a few inexperienced travelers as well. I would hope we could find time apart from them though on our travels.”

“Of course, we would.” For a moment, Ambrosia considered withholding the most vital piece of information, but she wasn’t about to give him an excuse to back out down the line. “I hope it ain’t too much trouble, but my one friend is pregnant.”

The sharp inhale of air said that it was too much trouble, but Ambrosia had one last idea, one last bit of information to sweeten the pot. “I know it probably doesn’t make a lot of difference, but you’d be my first.”

Something about that caught him off-guard, and he laughed. “Alright. Alright. I’ll take you and your friends, as long as you pay your way. You don’t have to pretend to be pure to keep me interested.”

Satisfied with their arrangements, Ambrosia left him with a kiss on his cheek and went back to work. She still had one goodbye left. Jeb.
Ambrosia Alar

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Donor (1)