Solo Painting and Acquainting

Innah learns a new skill and makes a new acquaintance.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

Painting and Acquainting

Postby Innah on August 16th, 2020, 5:43 pm

17, Summer, 520

Innah squinted up at the skyglass building before her, hesitating outside the door. She was standing outside of Tain’s Studio on the Zintia Peak, dithering between wanting to learn how to paint and not wanting to make a spectacle of herself for knowing absolutely nothing about the skill. Of course she knew that nobody was born knowing how to do everything, but she still hated being a total beginner.

Eventually the want to learn won out, and Innah stepped through the open door and she was immediately enthralled by the view. Being made completely of skyglass, the window-like walls gave incredible views over the Peaks the likes of which she had never seen before. There were a couple of others situated about the room intent on their own works, and since there seemed to be no formal reception Innah wasn’t entirely sure what she was supposed to be doing.

One of the people working looked up for a moment, eyes landing on Innah hovering in the doorway. The woman had short, white-blonde hair and she smiled before setting down her brush and walking over. “Welcome to the studio! Are you here to paint?” The woman gestured at the notebook clutched in Innah’s hand. ”Uh, yes I am. I am not sure where I am supposed to start though.”
The blonde smiled again. “That’s okay, I can help you. I’m Nat, I look after this place with Tain. Follow me.”

Innah followed the woman over to a small table and set her journal down. “So you’ll need paints - you can buy them here. Do you want any paper or canvas too? Or do you want to use your book?” Innah considered for a moment. ”I think I will have some paper… I don’t want to ruin any of my drawings.” She followed Nat over to the area where they stored all the supplies and took a few sheets of paper, a handful of brushes and a pot of water.
“The brushes you can borrow for however long you’re here. What colours would you like?” There were a lot to choose from, and after staring at them all for a moment, Nat chuckled and helped Innah pick out what she called ‘a good starting palette’.

When everything was gathered and on her desk, Nat left Innah to it. She carefully put a small amount of all the colours onto a ceramic dish for mixing - red, yellow, blue, white and a brown shade Nat had called sienna. The other woman had told her that those colours could mix together to make many other colours. The concept intrigued Innah, though she had no idea which ones to put together to make anything.

So she didn’t have to think about it for a moment, she instead pulled a piece of paper towards her and flipped open her journal. Innah had taken to drawing some of the pieces on display at The Shining Diamond so that she might get a better instinct for designing herself one day. She found a picture she had drawn of an emerald necklace and carefully set about copying it down onto the paper, practicing her linework as she did. The adjusted pressure on her quill and ink gave her lines of varying thicknesses, which added more dimension to the drawing. She carefully drew the links of the chain - small looping ovals - and then moved on to the gem itself, a beautiful square emerald. Innah sketched in a few lines to note the facets and then set her ink down. She didn’t want to do too much only to spoil it when she inevitably got her colours wrong.
Innah
Player

Words: 23466
Joined roleplay: July 26th, 2020, 5:09 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes