Flashback Okomo Sweet Okomo

Meeting the Neighbors

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

Okomo Sweet Okomo

Postby Baiya on September 30th, 2019, 1:32 am

90th of Fall, 517 AV

Baiya dabbed at her forehead with her lifted shirt, trying her best to keep the sweat from stinging her eyes. It wasn't even that hot, luckily. She just hadn't been prepared for the amount of work moving was. Even her pockets weighed down by her toothbrush and comb had become heavy after a bell of walking. Though she had her family there to help carry, in other ways they were less than helpful, and she was quietly glad to have them out of the way. All she needed now was a quick breath and some time to herself to catch up and adjust. Grabbing her waterskin, Baiya stood to have a stroll around the house before unpacking.

The house had come with certain amenities already. The bedroom held a bed nestled into its frame with a chamber pot tucked beneath away from sight. A chest sat at the foot of the bed, stuck partially ajar by an off-hinge top. In the main room, an hearth was placed atop pale grey stones that matched the walls. Behind it, a small wooden table stood just a little lopsided on one leg, with a single chair pulled up to it. And that was it. The single wooden door was the only entrance, and though there was a window in each room the house did not boast skyglass ceilings of any kind like some others in the city. It was not reinforced or braced against the weather but left wind whistling by. It was a simple house- much simpler than she had thought while scoping it out in the first place.

Besides the furnishings offered, Baiya had brought along only a few miscellaneous items, and only one bag of possessions. Her parents had gotten her a washbasin at the Azure, and a small mirror to help her with her cosmetics, but besides that she had only an extra pair of clothes and a few basics. She hoped it would be enough to make it feel like home, but dumping her items on the floor started to make the house feel very big all off a sudden. Less enthusiastic than when she has started, Baiya set to the task of organizing.

Stay positive. She encouraged herself. Look! All this space to yourself! But even as she thought it, she began to feel very discouraged indeed.

Though she tried to busy herself with things such as folding her clothes in new ways and placing the washbasin in numerous different spots, nothing could properly distract her from the facts. Her house was empty, and more than that, abundantly lonely. Halfway through trying to reset her mirror above the washbasin, she abruptly sat down on the floor. Though she felt self-conscious about the act and mentally chastised herself for acting so childish, she could not help but pull her knees up to her chest and wrap her arms around herself. The doubt quickly set in.

If I can't do this for one day, how will I ever do anything on my own? Am I doomed to be dependent my whole life, living in a rats' nest with so many other siblings and nothing for myself? What am I supposed to do?

By the time the tears had spilled over, Baiya had gotten to her feet and stripped off her clothes, dropping them to the floor in a messy pile. She needed to escape, just for a moment, and feeling the wind in her fur was nothing if not therapeutic.

Throwing open the window while her thumbs were still strong, Baiya quickly placed one foot on the sill and pulled herself up to the window where she quickly transformed. Upon feeling the gentle breeze brush through her fur, she poked her long fingers out the window and grabbed ahold of the small cracks in the walls, pulling herself upwards and onwards.
Last edited by Baiya on March 18th, 2021, 3:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Finals season has completely drained me of writing. Please stand by.
Baiya
Player

Words: 50485
Joined roleplay: September 26th, 2019, 6:32 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)

Okomo Sweet Okomo

Postby Baiya on February 2nd, 2021, 9:16 pm

90th of Fall, 517 AV

Baiya's small fingers sought the cracks in the walls one at a time in a rhythm that was both foreign to this surface and ever-familiar to her body. Right foot, right hand, left foot, left hand. Pushing up on her body with her legs so that she didn't tire her weaker arms, she slowly approached the roof. Luckily the walls were rugged, and for the first time she was glad that she had not splurged on one of the fancier homes with the beautiful skyglass rooves, as she would never have been able to grip the glass.

At the top, Baiya took a single moment to catch her breath before extending her arms straight out from her body and dropping. The feeling never went away no matter how often she flew. The wind caught her wings and pulled her away from herself, creating a rush of adrenaline that was so potent that the fear and sadness and stress of her day just melted away and fell behind her. Her eyes were not adapted to the environment and the sun hurt so instead she closed them against the evening light and let herself glide. In the city there was plenty of space, and due to the rise and fall of the mountainous area she was able to glide in circles, slowly down for quite some way.

What she didn't consider was the landing.

She felt the wind rush narrowly beneath her skin, foretelling her approaching the ground just slightly too late to do anything about it. Her wing caught quickly on a shrub, causing her entire body to flip head over heels into the bush beside it. Her skin stung where it had scratched her and more than that, her spirit was damaged. The high of gliding had crashed as hard as she had. Instead of pulling herself up from the ground right away, she allowed herself a moment to pout. She sat in the bush and licked her wounds, doing her best to groom over the cuts so that they would not be so visible. Once she had had enough, she climbed up to the top of her bush to get a better view of her path home. It was only then that she noticed her surroundings.

The garden that surrounded her was luscious, with smells of sweet flowers and small ripe berries. The dirt below was hardly visible (save for the site of the crash landing) due to the sheer amount of greenery that lay stretching over its course. Baiya's mouth nearly dropped open at the sight of it all, and her small fingers began to twitch eargerly. It was hard for even her to determine what might have happened next had the approach of heavy, booted footsteps not scared her back into her bush.
Last edited by Baiya on April 14th, 2021, 1:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Baiya
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Mizahar Grader (1)

Okomo Sweet Okomo

Postby Baiya on February 14th, 2021, 3:29 am

90th of Fall, 517 AV

Baiya's big eyes opened even wider as the fear gripped her and she shrank into her hiding spot. She had no idea what the woman's view on strangers in her garden were, but she could safely assume that her sugar glider appearance did not give her any level of anonymity in her snooping.

The woman's boots clipped through the yard, peering over the garden with the eyes of a protective mother watching her child. Yet, she did not linger in any one spot unless there was a weed to pull or a stray plant to prop back up on its trellis. Her mere attitude gave off an air of import, despite the dirt that covered her tiny form. With this brisk pace, it was not long before the woman came along the small bushes where Baiya hid. The woman paused and sighed.

"Are you not going to leave? You might at least come out, then."

Baiya's heart sunk. Sheepishly, she let go of the bush and crawled forward into view.

"Mhm." The woman nodded and crossed her arms over her chest. "Now, do you want to shift so you can explain yourself to me?"

Baiya pulled herself across the ground until she made it to the edge of the garden. Sitting down on the side where she was sure she would crush any plants, she gave herself to her human form.

"It's not what you think," Baiya began.

"And what do I think?" The gardener interrupted.

"I was eatin- I guess stealing?" Baiya tilted her head curiously. Had the woman not thought that? Lhavitians tended to be less territorial than some, but Baiya was still under the impression that they valued their things.

The steely expression gave no indication of the gardener's feelings. She just continued with her interrogation. "And were you?"

"No!"

"Hmm." She uncrossed her arms to place fists on her hips. The gesture reminded Baiya of her mother when she was in trouble, and she instinctively hung her head. "Get out of my garden."

Baiya scrambled to her feet obediently and looked around for the exit. The woman sighed again and placed a hand over her eyes as if she were trying to block out not the sight, but the whole scenario. "You can't walk around like that. It's suspicious at the very least."

"Well, I can't actually fly," Baiya explained, "I can only glide. So I'd need to climb somewhere and there's not really any trees in your garden and I didn't want to be around long enough to crawl to the exit..." She shrugged, her face on fire. She just wanted to leave as quickly as possible and get back home so she could cry.

"Come inside." The woman commanded. She turned her back and went into the house with a finality that was not to be debated.
Last edited by Baiya on April 14th, 2021, 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Baiya
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Mizahar Grader (1)

Okomo Sweet Okomo

Postby Baiya on February 14th, 2021, 8:59 pm

90th of Fall, 517 AV

The inside of the woman's house was just as beautiful and rustic as the outside was. A thin layer of dirt covered most things in the house. The light spilling in the windows illuminated streaks of dust and pollen populating the air. Hanging from the rafters, bunches of flowers and vegetables and herbs hung in varying stages of drying. It would have crowded her head were she only a few inches taller. But instead of feeling crowded, she felt comforted. The home swaddled her like a baby and she was enamored. This is what she wanted.

While Baiya had been gawking, the woman had retrieved a thin apron from inside a chest. She offered the garment with an outstretched hand. "Use this."

Though her expression at large didn't change, Baiya caught a twinkle in the gardener's eye when she pulled herself away from the décor.

"How did you do this?" Baiya asked.

The woman was silent for a moment. Finally, she gave the best non-answer Baiya could have hoped for. "My name is Amarina. I work at the Crystal Seed Bank. Come talk to our botanists sometime and tell them I sent you. One of them will have time for you."

But I don't. Baiya could fill in the unsaid words. But she was content enough. She took the apron and wrapped it around her body, tying it in the back tight enough to cover her body. Then, with a polite nod and wave, she turned and headed for the door.

"I want that back too, when you come." Amarina called after her.
---

At home, Baiya took a step back to admire the new mint plant on her windowsill. It wasn't pretty or prosperous like Amarina's (on the contrary, it had become a little limp on the walk home) and it didn't quite fill the room up (being hardly a few inches tall) but it did make her smile to look at, and that was its essential job right now.

She had already resolved to go by the Crystal Seed Bank later and read up on its care. For the time being, Baiya simply moistened the soil with a cup of water until it ran out the bottom, just as the woman at the market had shown her. Rotating the plant more than a few times, she finally found herself happy with the angle it was presented at.

Baiya threw herself onto the bed with a sigh and took one more look around the house. The furniture was still all lopsided, and the room was still all grey and drab, and she still longed for someone to fill in the space, but it felt just a tiny bit more like home. And that was good enough for now.

LedgerStarter plant, common - 7 tk
Flower pot, small - 3 tk
Baiya
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Mizahar Grader (1)

Okomo Sweet Okomo

Postby Baiya on April 14th, 2021, 2:47 am

Baiya :
Skills Amount
Acrobatics + 1
Climbing + 2
Endurance + 2
Gardening + 1
Medicine + 1
Observation + 2
Organization + 1
Rhetoric + 1
Stealth + 1

Lore
Endurance: Anything is Heavy After a Long Time Climbing: Right foot, right hand, left foot, left hand
Climbing: Rough Surfaces are Better for Grip Climbing: Pushing, Not Pulling
Endurance: Preserving Weaker Muscles Stealth: Sugar Gliders Are Conspicuous
Acrobatics: Consider the Landing Medicine: Licking Wounds Clean
Rhetoric: Defending One's Innocence Amarina: Gardener at Crystal Seed Bank
Gardening: Water Until it Runs Out the Bottom Gardening: Houses Feel Homier With Plants

Additional Comments:
If you have any questions or concerns, don't hesitate to contact me via PM or Discord. If all is well, please either delete your request or edit to show it's been graded in the queue. Thanks!
Baiya
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Mizahar Grader (1)