Magic Academies Anyone?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the first step to starting a lore article. Please hold all conversations about lores here in this forum. No development takes place here ie Article posting. This forum is simply for threads that want to hash out what a lore should or shouldn't include as well as its merits and flaws. One can also gauge interest in new lore here as well. Polls are encouraged.

Moderator: Scribes

Magic Academies Anyone?

Postby Ayosel on April 17th, 2021, 8:27 pm

While reading this topic I had some mild inspiration.

I was thinking of a society of people in certain regions (if not Mizahar-wide) who have identifying items, like little special coins or baubles (honestly I was thinking of the White Lotus with their pai sho tiles being arranged in a lotus shape with the lotus tile in the centre from ATLA) and they could sort of worm their way into different parts of society and hold secret clandestine meetings and induct propsective mages into their circles via initiation ceremonies and the like.

I may be missing the mark entirely but I'm certainly keen to learn.
Ayosel
a shining new era.

Words: 31379
Joined roleplay: January 26th, 2017, 6:55 pm
Race: Dhani
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Magic Academies Anyone?

Postby Gossamer on April 18th, 2021, 2:57 pm

Image---
Well, it seems clear everyone's hung up on the term 'academy' so as a first step I struck that from the lore and replaced it with Institution, which is a broader term that covers more variety of things....

in·sti·tu·tion
/ˌinstəˈt(y)o͞oSH(ə)n/
Learn to pronounce
noun
noun: institution; plural noun: institutions

1. a society or organization founded for a religious, educational, social, or similar purpose. (In this case magic...)

2. an established law, practice, or custom. (ie institution of marriage...)

3. the action of instituting something.

How does this differ from factions? The faction tag just simply lists categories and acts as a tag on magical groups that are mostly based on divine magic aka gnosis.... if you are marked, you are in a faction. Some of them are formal., some are not. So the factions tag just gives you a giant list.

BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Previous