Solo River Water

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

River Water

Postby Ari'Ellin on May 24th, 2021, 4:10 am

46th Spring, 521AV

It was early morning, and it was cold, but Ari had run out of water and she was too thirsty to wait until the morning, so instead of waiting, she stretched herself out and pulled her boots on, ready to head out of her home and down the mountain to gather some water. After the poisonings that had been happening, everyone had had to start going down the mountains to gather water, and almost everyone was collecting their water from the same place, and that did worry Ari slightly.

If someone had started to poison the water supply, who was to say that they wouldn’t poison slightly upstream from where everyone was gathering? Frowning to herself, Ari’Ellin grabbed her dagger and a few kina and put them into the pocket of her coat, then she grabbed her backpack and checked her waterskin was in the backpack, before she started to make her way out of the city and down the mountain to the Amaranthine River.

Once she got down the mountain and stood at the side of the river, she noticed the sun starting to rise and she hummed slightly. She wasn’t worried about falling into the river. She’d always been a good swimmer and being able to breathe underwater had helped that, but she was cautious as to who else could be at the river, and what could be slipped into the river, even briefly.

Carefully she made her way upstream along the river, just a few feet further than she’d seen others go, though she didn’t want to travel too far along the river and travel into the less traversed areas. She knew that although Lhavit was safe, built onto the mountains, she was a sitting duck down in the valley that the rivers flowed through.

Sighing, she shook her head, too nervous about getting any closer to the wilderness and instead returned closer to where she’d seen others get their water.

She kneeled down at the side of the river and took off her backpack, grabbing her waterskin from the backpack and unscrewing the lid from it. She spent a few moments watching the water to see where it was flowing slightly faster, not wanting to risk getting any still or stagnant water in the waterskin, even if she was intending on boiling it once she got home.

Then she placed her hand around the opening of the waterskin, plunging it into the water and holding the opening to face upstream, waiting for a few moments until she was sure that enough water had got into the waterskin to fill it.

Carefully she pulled the waterskin out and checked it, frowning as it seemed that the waterskin was only half filled before she repeated the process again, this time pulling the waterskin out to see that it was mostly filled this time.

A smile spread across her face and she screwed the lid back onto the waterskin and placed it into her backpack, standing up and glancing around, seeing a dark haired woman doing the same, beginning her way back up the mountain around 15 feet in front of her.

Word Count523 words
Last edited by Ari'Ellin on September 5th, 2021, 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ari'Ellin
Player

Words: 151855
Joined roleplay: September 18th, 2020, 10:31 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

River Water

Postby Ari'Ellin on May 24th, 2021, 4:12 am

Nodding to herself, Ari’Ellin started on her own way back, walking along the river a bit before something glinting in the dawn sunlight caught her attention. Ari’Ellin got closer to the glinting to see a golden ring and a silver hair comb, just where the dark haired woman had been filling her own waterskin, and sighing, Ari picked the two items up and started hurrying after the woman.

“Miss. Sorry miss.” she called out after the woman, frowning as the woman didn’t hear her and increasing her pace, trying to get closer to the dark haired woman. Luckily the woman was not moving very quickly and instead seemed to be taking time to enjoy the scenery.

“Miss, you left…” Ari called out again, this time the woman stopping and looking back as Ari’Ellin smiled slightly, hurrying up to catch up to the woman and holding the ring and the comb out towards the woman.

“Oh… My ring…” the woman said, walking back towards Ari with a worried look on my face. “I’d forgotten I’d taken it off…” she mused, accepting the golden ring and sliding it onto her finger, admiring it before looking at the comb. “I… thank you. I found that and I was going to sell it, but if you like I can sell it to you. Your hair looks fairly untamed.” the woman continued and Ari frowned slightly, checking her hair and seeing that it was fairly messy.

“It’s a nice comb, plus silver looks like your colour.” the woman said and Ari thought for a few moments, sensing that the woman couldn’t be bothered taking the comb back up to Lhavit. No doubt it was one that someone had likely lost in the river whilst gathering water, and this woman had found it and decided to use it to try to earn some money without really trying.

“Look, you can even use it to keep your hair out of your face. It’ll help you focus. Let me show you.” the woman stepped closer and Ari stepped back reflexively before letting the woman touch her hair and comb it through, before twisting her hair somehow and digging the comb into her hair and when the woman stepped away, Ari’Ellin felt that her hair was staying in the comb. Sighing, Ari shook her head and thought for a moment.

“How much?” Ari asked and the dark haired woman grinned.

“Well, I’d normally charge two kina for a nice silver comb, but since you found my ring, I’ll give you a discount and you can have it for one kina? Okay?” she suggested, and Ari’Ellin nodded, reaching into her pocket and finding a coin, pulling it out and seeing that it was a kina, and handing it to the woman.

“Thank you.” the woman said, before turning and continuing on her way back towards Lhavit.

For a few moments, Ari’Ellin checked her pockets, before continuing on her way back home, enjoying the sight of the sun rising higher and higher in the sky.

Word Count504AV
LedgerComb - 1ki
Ari'Ellin
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

River Water

Postby Ari'Ellin on May 24th, 2021, 4:43 am

Once she had made her way back to her home, people were beginning to leave their homes for the morning, heading to bakeries and taverns to get some sort of food to fill their stomachs. Ari’Ellin entered her cottage, and instantly grabbed her cooking pot, tipping the contents of her water skin into the cooking pot and then placing it next to the hearth.

She checked over the hearth, seeing that the kindling and wood on it was dry and looked like there was enough already on the hearth to catch, before she glanced around, heading to the chest at the foot of her bed and opening it to grab her flint and steel.

Moving back to the hearth she held the flint in her left hand, and the steel in her right hand, and quickly struck the steel down against the flint. The first time nothing happened, though after a few more attempts, a small flickering ember was created, floating down into the tinder and gently glowing.

Ari’Ellin barely breathed as she watched the glowing ember, waiting for it to begin spreading, then as it did, Ari moved closer, gently blowing to try and feed more oxygen to the fire. Once the fire had taken, Ari’Ellin sat upright, nodding to herself, now thankful for how the woman had put her hair up using the comb.

A soft meowing caught her attention, just before Pebble nuzzled against her arm and Ari reached out to gently scratch the top of the cat's head, chuckling softly.

“Let me boil my water, okay little Pebble?” she questioned, watching the cat despite knowing it probably couldn’t understand her. Carefully, she moved, lifting the cooking pot and placing it into the hearth, waiting to see when the water would start boiling.

Her hands moved curiously to the comb in her hair, trying to work out how it was in her hair, feeling the twists around the comb and how her hair seemed to keep the comb in place, whilst also staying out of her face.

Nodding, she carefully pulled the comb out of her hair, placing it on the floor in front of her.

She held the length of her hair, twisting it repeatedly until it twisted into a messy bun, before she grabbed the comb again, pushing it into the bun tentatively, unsure if she had done it right, before she let go.

The comb held it in place for a few moments before it all started unravelling, and Ari’Ellin furrowed her brow slightly. She was happy that it had held for even just a tick or two. At least it seemed that she might be able to get it to hold for longer.

She tried again, twisting her hair and pushing the comb into the bun, this time holding for a little while longer as she grinned, trying to look at her reflection in the pot of still yet to boil water before the comb fell out, clattering onto the floor.

Frowning, she realised that she may have been a little too ambitious with how she was trying to pin it up.

Word Count519
Ari'Ellin
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

River Water

Postby Ari'Ellin on May 24th, 2021, 4:58 am

Nodding to herself, Ari’Ellin instead started trying to use the comb to push the sides of her hair back out of her face, focusing on just one side of her hair. She comb the right hand side of her hair back, using one hand to hold it in place before she turned the comb so it’s teeth were pointed forwards, towards her face, then pushed the comb into the hair before letting go.

This time the comb held much better, keeping that side of her hair away from her face, although the other side was still lose and flowing into her face, so it wouldn’t be the best for her working, unless she could find a similar looking comb to put into her hair.

She looked at her reflection, nodding to herself and frowning, half wishing she had darker hair that would allow her to blend in a little better.

“Maybe I can try it half up?” she said, looking at Pebble as she spoke, pulling the comb out of her hair yet again, using it to detangle the top layers of her hair from her ears up.

She smoothed the hair back, holding the top parts of her hair in a ponytail as she looked in her reflection, watching to see how it looked.

Without being able to see what she was doing, she found it decidedly tricky to do. She held the comb upwards, and for a few moments she breathed in and out slowly, trying to work out what to do before she started pushing the comb into hair.

“You know Pebble, I wish I had black hair…” she mused as she finished pushing the comb into her hair, her eyes on the cat as she shook her head, making sure that the comb seemed secure, before a smile left her face.

Pebble however seemed shocked, the cat jumping up and running away to the corner of the room as Ari’Ellin frowned slightly.

“Pebble? What’s wrong honey?” she asked, before a lock of black hair fell over her shoulder and she saw it out of the corner of her eye, startling her slightly as she turned around, seeing nothing before her.

Her hands reached to the lock of black hair, pulling it slightly as a familiar tugging was felt in her scalp and a look of confusion came over her face. Her hair was light, so why did this black hair feel like it was attached to her head?

Frowning more, she looked at her reflection in the water again, seeing her facial features, but they didn’t look like her anymore. Her eyelashes and eyebrows were now black, standing out against her pale skin, and the hair coming from her scalp was back too…

She furrowed her brows more, unsure of what had happened as her hands reached for the comb, pulling it out and watching as her hair, eyelashes and eyebrows instantaneously turned back to their usual white.

Still confused, Ari’Ellin looked over the comb, trying to work out what had happened before a grin spread across her face as she realised that the comb the woman had found and sold her was possibly worth far more than the woman had realised.

Word Count536
Ari'Ellin
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes