Solo Deal

[job thread]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

Deal

Postby Nyctea on October 4th, 2021, 3:03 am

First Day of Fall
Five Hundred and Twenty One Years After the Valterrian

Evening Time

“I can’t hunt with a fire going, can I?”

The man she was speaking to has three lines across his face. A scar.

“Uh,” he stared, scratching the bottom of the scar with one hand. “Sure you can.”

“Okay great. I was thinking I’d camp out longer this time,” she said, strapping herself. She needed to have all of what she needed for this longer trip, and didn’t want anything accidentally falling. Her simple outfit she’d had all her life: the boots, the skirt, her chest cinched up, and of course, the flute gun her father gave her.

She always brought needles with her. Nyctea figured it wouldn’t hurt to carry a weapon for when she shifted into her woman form. It was always easier to fly away from danger as a bird. As a woman, she never ran. She fought. With words, really.

She never had a reason to hurt someone physically in her woman form.

Protected by Kelvic rabbit parents since she was a child, Nyctea was fine as long as she wasn’t a bird.

Their lives tended to be shorter, but Nyctea made sure to take care of them in their old age. They, like herself, were citizens of Ravok.

They had a home.

She, however, chose a less ‘common’ life. A poor one, in fact.

More… nomadic.

“How long?” asked the man she was speaking to.

“Oh, long enough,” she grinned, all her teeth showing, at a meagre attempt to flirt. The man gave her a slight eyebrow quirk, and that was enough for her to give him a warm smile, immediately. “I just mean that I want to try making a fire this time, to stay out there in this form, you know?”

“Oh, I know,” said the man with a smirk. She was speaking to Holik, but she didn’t know it yet.

Holik, Purveyor of Goods, seems to be
an intermediary between the Ebonstryfe of the Outpost and outsiders who would engage in trade; official or otherwise. He is a smooth, soft-spoken man of Nitrozian blood with short brown hair and dark brown eyes. The left side of his face sports three rather prominent scars resembling those created by the claws of some large animal. If asked, he is happy to reveal what made the scars although the story changes with every telling. Those who have regular dealings with Holik, describe him as being a slick businessman driven by the thought of closing a good deal.

Nyctea, however, has never met this man until today. On the first day of Fall, knowing core survival foods, Nyctea figured she would ask someone about getting a job as a Huntress.

“You do?” asked the woman, both brows raised. “Well if you do, then I want to sell you my game. Game that I wish to share with you, your men, and anyone else that are hungry. Is that good? Can we engage in trade? My game for your mizas?”

Holik narrowed his eyes. “Sure. I do, and it’s good. We can. Bring me any of your game, and you can have a job here at the North Ravok Outpost as a Huntress for five gold mizas per day. If you can prove to me that you’re competent, I’ll increase your income as a skill bonus. Sound like a fair wage?”

It was persuasive. “Sure,” said Nyctea. “Thank you, uh,” she paused.

“Holik. What’s your name?”

“Nyctea.”

“Nice to meet you, Nyctea.”

“Nice to meet you too, Holik.”

They smiled at each other. Then, after wishing each other a goodnight…

They were partners.
Nyctea
This game is wild.

Words: 20097
Joined roleplay: July 4th, 2012, 9:01 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Deal

Postby Nyctea on November 3rd, 2021, 2:06 pm

Hush little baby, don't say a word, mama's gonna buy you a-

Nyctea heard a crick, so she stopped the song that played in her mind. The sun had set but it was not fully dark yet. She'd walked deep enough into the northern woods to mark her place, memorizing the shape of the trees, and began to set up a small rock formation. She'd forgotten whether she was taught to do this, or whether she made it up herself, but the act of balancing rocks on top of one another helped to calm her nerves down, at the very least. Hunting was just natural to her in her owl form. Somehow, though she felt entirely comfortable as a woman, Nyctea felt too chaotic in a human form to truly be able to hunt as effectively.

She wanted that to change.

She needed a larger game.

However, Nyctea was hungry for dinner, which meant she would need to eat anything she could find immediately. She quickly unclothed and dumped her things on the ground. Camp would have to be set up later, after she had some food in her stomach.

With a shift, she flew up into the leaves of the woods, finding a branch to perch upon.

In hunger, she waited. Listening deeply.

All she required was to track the telltale sign of a rat. They were her favourites. She knew it would be more of a snack, and she knew she would need more than just one, but in her form, she focused.

Is this a detour? No, I need to eat first. I regurgitated this morning, and haven't eaten since because I wanted whole foods today, not cooked foods.

She knew it wouldn't be too difficult to catch her prey, especially one as abundant as the rats that were here. As soon as she heard the chirps, Nyctea honed in on it, swooped down, grabbed the two laughing buggers in her talons and feasted.

Petch. Too easy. Bored. Need more.

That feeling. The rush. Satiation at its finest was always required... but for now, with a roll of her head, she flew back up, waiting for the next round.

Continuing to fly through the woods, she sensed a variety of movements. Some of them she couldn't recognize, so she swiftly corrected course to put space between herself and the unknowns. After some time, some moments, she began to track nests.

Better. More, she thought, excitedly.

The flutter, the colour of feathers, she could see it now, they were in flight.

Nyctea locked in on her target.

Faster, she told herself. Fly faster, gods darn it!

Frustrated at the chase, she felt herself falter, losing sight of her target. That familiar burning desire increased by magnitudes as she kept her senses open, listening for her prey, knowing it couldn't have gone far. She needed to be quiet too. Slowing down, the muffled air over the surface of her wings now barely a whisper, she descended, watching.

It picked up.

Nyctea locked in.

Head in line, straight to it.

Three, two...

One.

She pulled her head back at the last moment and thrust her feet forward, talons spread wide.

Stunned it.

With an inward smile, Nyctea dispatched the bird with a snap of her beak.

WC = 554
Nyctea
This game is wild.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Deal

Postby Nyctea on November 4th, 2021, 4:27 am

Naked under a tree, Nyctea started playing a song on her flute.

She really wanted to make up a good song… but the notes weren’t coming out smoothly. The Kelvic licked her lips, and adjusted the shape of her mouth to blow air through the wooden instrument.

Practise, she told herself. Keep yourself happy with the music, she thought, dryly. Nyctea sighed. She remembered she needed to make camp… and a fire.

Closing her eyes, she blew through the instrument again, hearing one note, and let the note linger in the air. She placed a finger over a hole and the note that played was lower.

This one felt…

Ugh. She wondered if she’d ever get better at this.

Spending more time, Nyctea managed to go up and down the scale a few times on her flute. One time, she barely got any of the notes right. Another time, she got all of them right, and perfect, and beautiful, except the last one. The time she hated the most was when she played her favourite note in a way that made her cry, inwardly, but couldn’t play any of the other notes the same way at all.

None of the times were perfect.

…but all of the times were worth it.

Practise makes perfect? She wondered.

Smiling, she packed the flute gun away.

Immediately, she realized she was getting cold.

Fire…

Nyctea knew she had all the right things to make one. She just… what was she waiting for?

The woman looked for tinder.

Well, she began to look before realizing she would have an easier time doing so if she wasn’t as cold. Nyctea put on her clothes quickly and went hunting for…

Dry stuff, right?

It had been a while since she made a fire last.

Dead…

She kept walking until she found…

branches.

Nyctea broke a few. Picked up leaves. Grass too. Weeds. Bark... thick ones, stringy ones.

A funny feeling told her that she was going to run into some problems.

Then she paused… remembering the bird.

She never ate it.

It didn’t feel good to do so. She saved it. Along with other small game that she caught in the evening. Piled up alongside the temporary shelter she had yet to build.

It was getting dark quickly now, and she knew she would need to make fire as soon as possible.

Flint and steel, I have it. Just need it to keep warm, right? I’m hoping the smoke can cover my scent. The whole point here is to help feed the hungry. Help sustain, right?

Ugh.

Talking to herself in her mind got exhausting, so instead, she sat down and started the process of making a fire.

First step: arrange the tinder.

I don't have enough.

Nyctea frowned. She didn't want to run into the problem of having to go running to collect more. Convinced that her handful was too small, knowing her own size as a woman, she went to collect a bunch more.

Coming back, feeling some wind, needing to protect herself, she opened the wooden case that she'd bought long ago. It folded up to serve as a small shelter large enough for one person to get out of the elements.

Time to get to work.

WC = 545
Nyctea
This game is wild.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets