A Meeting about a Boy [Dreamy]

Sai speaks to the Valintar about visiting Avanthal to pick up the wayward Fen, with an ulterior motive to learn of the city and any benefits they might be able to adopt

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The westernmost tip of Kalea, Wind Reach is home to an amazing group of people and their giant eagle mounts. [Lore]

Postby Sairque on January 14th, 2011, 3:21 am

1 Winter, 510 AV: Early Morning
Valintar's Office

Catabasis easily picked out the dark outlines that were just shadows of snow to Sai. He could tell the difference between the road and the gates and the dark blotches that pretended to be solid shapes. More than once Sai had flinched away, thinking an impact with unforgiving stone was imminent. She had learned years ago not to look at the snow, it whirled and flurried in beautiful shapes, mesmerizing an inattentive Rider. One had to look through the snow. The flight leader clung to his back, hunkered down low and trying to preserve body heat

They were keeping close to the city, practicing their snow flying. Sai found that she had to rely on Catabasis, her weak eyes just weren’t up to the task. It wasn’t guaranteed that the flight to Avanthal would be snowy, but it didn’t hurt to try and mitigate risks. She was lost in thoughts of her first excursion away from the city with no direct benefit to the Inarta, her very first trip to any foreign place. She should have talked to Kaden during the fall, but it had just seemed so surreal that Fen had asked her to be the Rider to check in on him. That he had left. No one left. Why would anyone want to leave? They led hard, full lives here in the mountain. They weren’t a soft people, they weren’t weak. Why would anyone want to subject themselves to the ridiculous ways of life that outsiders indulged in? On the upside, Fen had chosen a winter-swept city, so it shouldn’t be too bad. But honestly, Sai knew not what to expect.

You had better make this worth my time, Sairque, since I am the one doing all the work here, he told her waspishly, cutting in on her thoughts. She didn’t smile, the cold wind hurt her teeth when they were exposed, but he felt her contrite amusement.

Do you want me to fix you up with a bit and steer you around where I think the correct bearing is?

Touche, he acceded, flaring his wings and reaching forward with his feet to scrabble for purchase on the road. Bundled up tight in her katinu and a plethora of scarves, Sai slid from his back and tumbled gracelessly into a pile. Get a book.

The flight leader brushed snow off of her face and struggled through the heavy stuff to her feet. It grudgingly gave way beneath her boots. It was already piling up high despite the Dek assigned to clear the snow off the road near Kaden’s office. The snow swallowed her left leg up to her hip and she glared at the bird. To tie to my feet so I can walk?

Yes, he retorted, lamenting his choice in Riders. Why did he have to pick the stupid ones? From the Enclave. Check one about Avanthal out and take it with.

You’re assuming that Kaden hasn’t already sent anyone else. Sai had struggled, sweating, to the lighter covered area in front of his office. Here she brushed herself off and shook her head at the heavy fall they had received.

The magnificence of his office wasn’t lost on her, per se, but Sai stepped into the reception area and only had eyes for the large bird perch. Alas, it was empty, Starvine probably nesting in Kaden’s personal quarters for the winter. So she settled down on the couch and waited, knowing the leader would be out shortly to greet her. Her first visit here, many years ago, had been filled with trepidation. But now she had spent so much time around the Valintar that she wasn’t even worried about getting told she was daft for informing him she was planning on leaving on the second or third to be the previously-agreed-rendezvous-Rider for Fen.
Last edited by Sairque on September 16th, 2011, 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Oneday I wished upon a star
And woke up where the clouds are far
Behind me.
Where troubles melt like lemon drops
Away above the chimney tops
That's where you'll find me."
Sairque
It's so empty in here

Words: 424341
Joined roleplay: October 7th, 2010, 12:15 am
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Dreamcatcher on January 23rd, 2011, 1:36 pm

Morning of the 1st of Winter

Set just a short walk from the inside the Sanikas Gates of Wind Reach on the ground level of the 'City' the Valintar's office is an impressive display of the glassworks of the Inarta. The office itself is in essence a huge stained glass atrium visible from both the air and the ground floor of the twin lakes as a platform that extends out partially on stone pillars over the lower lake itself. It has a small dock and pier attached to it, as well as an 'inner sanctum' portion that runs deep into the walls of the volcano where a small reception room is sheltered inside the volcano proper. A magic called 'sheilding' protects the exposed glass atrium from rock falls and landslides that often frequent Mt. Skyinarta.

The reception lacks a secretary as Kaden handles most of his affairs himself and always maintains his office hours. If the door is unlocked, he's there. And if he's not there and the door is barred, there's always a sign with the return time clearly posted in neat magnetic-backed glass lettering. There's a large bird stand near the door to his office proper, and one can often see one of the large thunder bay eagles (though far smaller than a Wind Eagle) perched. Kaden keeps several birds as pets and often carries them with him save for the thunder bay eagle whos name is Starvine. Starvine roams the twin lakes areas and maintains a permanent residence in the Valintar's office or Kaden's personal quarters.

The space itself looks out over a pier which has a sailboat tied up to it. The sailboat was one Kaden hand crafted himself. Meals can be taken on the dock part of the atrium, while business is conducted inside the reception itself. Kaden's office is offlimits to most people who aren't craftsman or riders, and is probably one of the most magnificent structures in Wind Reach. A side door off the atrium reception leads to Kaden's personal quarters, a large stone suit with its own set of windows looking over the lake.

One doesn't need to knock to get Kaden's attention. All they need to do is open the door to the reception and walk in. They can marvel at the lit glass covering the walls and ceiling illuminated from behind until the structure stretches out over the water itself past giant double glass doors. There is a comfortable sitting area with sunken couches that people can relax in while they are waiting for an audience.

Kaden had worked hard hours in preparation for this day. Winter was a time for rest and a time to plan for the year to come. So on the first day of winter Kaden made sure to a brief time of respite. He hadn’t gotten up before dawn like his usual manner, and he had even gone up to the kitchens to eat a leisurely breakfast in one of the private kitchens. Kaden felt that today was one of the few days that he could be a little lazy. So by the time Kaden made it down to his office, Sairque had been waiting for a while. Kaden smiled at the flight leader as he walked by her to his office. He held a large ceramic mug of steaming green tea, he opened his office and the massive amounts of slates and counting devices had been cleared from his office.

On the wall was still the gray slate that had a to do list for Kaden. However, a great many items had been erased and as he set down the mug on his desk he took a moment to review the list. Granted it hadn’t changed from the previous day in which he had written everything down, but it was a morning ritual for him. Finally, he sat down seeing that nothing required his immediate attention he called for visitor. “Flight Leader, please come in.”

Kaden began looking over the slate covered with chalk markings and blew on his tea before taking a small slip of it.
Dreamcatcher
Retired Staff

Words: 120506
Joined roleplay: July 19th, 2010, 4:27 pm
Race: Staff account
Office

Postby Sairque on January 23rd, 2011, 6:27 pm

The long wait did little to wear down the focused determination that had brought her here this morning. Kaden was a busy man and not everything could be solved while sitting in his office. Catabasis, however, had beat tracks back to the aerie to escape the snow. She returned the friendly smile easily and straightened up, having fallen into a rather relaxed lounge.

His invitation to enter the office interrupted the unfocused staring she was doing at the floor. Shaken out of her thoughts, Sai pushed through the door and grinned at Kaden. She was wearing just a vinati and bryda, having left the coat out on his couch.

"Good morning, Valintar," she greeted cheerfully, glancing about at the significantly reduced 'clutter' in the room. "I've got two reasons for seeking your company this morning," getting straight to the points here.

"First, I would like to know if there's any duties you'd like me to take over for the Winter." Seeing as how there wouldn't be too much hunting and Sai was ready for more responsibility. "Or if you noticed anything you'd like me to change during the hunting seasons."

"Second, I'd like to be the Rider that checks on Fenilen Ruin in Avanthal." The Flight Leader told him casually, leaning on the back of one of his visitor chairs. She seemed as likely a candidate as any. She was in the prime of her life, Catabasis was as well, she'd shown good judgement and prudence, and who else would volunteer to freeze their cute little rears off in this weather to go check on a lone glassworker?
Behind me.
Sairque
It's so empty in here

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Dreamcatcher on February 2nd, 2011, 11:01 pm

Kaden smiled at his tea as Sairque spoke about any duties she could take over for winter. As he took another slip, Sairque mentioned Fenilen and his face grimaced as if he had taken a bitter slip of tea. He had known the time was approaching and that this pick up was likely the most dangerous. In truth though he wanted Fenilen to succeed in his adventure, he would rather send a less experienced rider and lose them both. It was cruel and cutthroat, but at least he could use their deaths as a lesson to the rest of the community. However, now he had to come up with an excuse as to why Sairque was needed elsewhere.

Kaden placed his tea down on the desk and had a focused look on his face. Often times he would make the face to make people believe he was considering their requests before he talked. “Sairque, I would like you to help organize the First Thaw Festival. You will need the entire season organize everyone and see what type of supplies you have. This is an important task, because it shows that you are ready to understand planning of large groups instead of just a few independent people. Make sure you include a game and plenty of dancing, keep track of your requests of goods and focus on the eagles just as much as the people. If all goes well, I think that it will help improve your leadership skills and overall standing amongst the flight leaders. If you utterly fail, then we know you are not a replacement for Caste Leader.”

“As for the matter of Fenilen, I personally would feel better if you decided to let a less experience flyer take your place. The trip is a dangerous crossing, and I personally believe someone who has left Wind Reach should be left to their fate…” Kaden was deadly serious. Fenilen had forsaken the community for the promise of the outside. Kaden understood that trade was vital, but he also needed every able body person to keep the community alive. “I will honor the terms of the agreement, however. Sairque, you may go to the rendezvous point and seek out Fenilen. I do want to remind you, that all I promised was an attempt. You are to do your best to cross the mountain range and then camp at the location for one day. If Fenilen fails to show up you are to leave immediately and report back to me. If you are caught in a snowstorm or realize that you can’t make the crossing, you are to come back immediately and we will try again in summer.”

“Sairque, I believe the glassblower is dead. The land is harsh and the culture is very different, I don’t need to lose another person because someone gave up on their community. If he should be alive, and desires pick up, look him straight in the eyes and say, ‘Wind Reach only welcomes those that love it! What is in your heart?’” Kaden smashed his fist down onto the desk and a drop of hot tea splashed on to the slate top. He was angry, and he wanted the flight leader to know it.

“If he gives you any answer less than a full Inarta would, leave him. Wind Reach is built on the bond we have to this place, and his foolish wants was placed above the community. I agreed he could go, because in truth it would be easier for the rest of us this winter. The only way this can hurt our people, is that if Fenilen comes back with nothing to show for it, and we are forced to feed him for his ignorance.” Kaden gave Sairque a dark look, he knew that he had just asked her to decided whether Fenilen was coming back or not. It was another test, one that every Inarta knew, bringing the glassblower back with nothing, meant that it had been a waste of resources, a waste that could be ill afforded.
Dreamcatcher
Retired Staff

Words: 120506
Joined roleplay: July 19th, 2010, 4:27 pm
Race: Staff account
Office

Postby Sairque on February 3rd, 2011, 1:39 am

The grimace wasn’t lost on the sharp Flight Leader, and she moved around the chair to lounge back in it, readying for the discussion at hand. The First Thaw Festival, however, was not what she expected to be handed. Archery lessons, flying lessons, pantry guarding, yes. The First Thaw Festival, no. Comfortable in the presence of the wise leader, she let herself react naturally. Shock couldn’t have been more obvious had he reached over and poured his tea up her nose. Failing would remove herself from the pool of eligible Endal to become Caste Leader. Not guarantee her the spot. Remove the opportunity from her future. No little motivation, but not nearly as large as the ambition to provide everyone with a wonderful spring festival after being cramped up inside all winter long. The task was taken in stride as they moved on to the more pressing reason for her visit this morning.

The same thoughts that Kaden was voicing now had ran through Sai’s mind when Fen had told her and Aidara that he was leaving on a mission. Her nods at the end of his points were curt and comprehending. If Fenilen desired to return home earlier than planned, if at all, he would do so only because whatever flaw had enticed him to leave had worked itself out. He would return more Inarta than ever. Angry Kaden wasn’t a new experience, nor was it unexpected. He had his serious face on, and if there was one thing that Sairque could agree with him on, it was the severity of their situation and the hard line they had to press to each of their people. And Fenilen, while saving them from feeding another mouth over the Winter, was possibly costing them more.

“I’ll turn back if the weather provides too great a risk,” she agreed with a nod, knowing full well that Fenilen, if alive, would continue just fine without her dying to get to him. But more importantly, that neither Fenilen nor his information were worth the lives of an Eagle or Endal of her productivity. “No one will come home with me that isn’t Inarta heart, blood and soul,” she assured him with utter sobriety.

She let the conversation lull only long enough for her complete agreement with Kaden to sink in with him. “I go because I believe I have the prudence and the strength to carry out this task, whether that involves turning around halfway through, leaving Fenilen Ruin to his fate, or establishing some form of connection to Avanthal. I’m young and hardy, my body can take whatever comes, but I have the privilege of a bonded Eagle that is twice as old as he normally would be with someone of my age. If I make it to Avanthal, I will return will something of value. I will not waste my time and risk Catabasis for nothing.

“More importantly, however, the Thaw Festival,” she couldn’t keep the excitement out of her voice. “Any tips from an experienced hand besides those all ready given?” Her mind was already running a mile a minute with options for the festivities. If there was nothing else, after he had responded, she got up and went in preparation of the many tasks now laid before her.
Behind me.
Sairque
It's so empty in here

Character sheet