[Flashback] This Little Piggie went Astral Traveling

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

Postby Raiyari on February 14th, 2011, 1:03 pm

This Little Piggie went Astral Traveling
Winter 85, 505 AV

"Raiyari, I want to speak with you for a moment," Dian Haru, Rai's sponsor stopped her after meditation, gesturing back towards the now empty room. Other Acolytes stared at her as they stampeded by, directing either smug or concered looks towards their classmate. They obviously assumed she was in trouble.

They were correct.

"Yes Dian," Raiyari bowed respectfully, following her Sponsor into the empty room. The Shinya promptly seated himself on reed flooring, and gestured for his student to do the same. His sharp black eyes missed nothing as he observed the girl sit down. Haru knew that his charge was no mage, she was truly a warrior at heart, but he also knew that Rai would utilize any and all tools she could to win, including her magic. There was something he sensed about his student, some anger and distrust that must have come to her from outside the Shinyama Pavillion's walls. She took what was given, and used it to her advantage.

Even by the way she knelt, Haru could tell that Raiyari was far more comfortable with the power of combat than the intricacies of magic. She knelt as she would at Kenjutsu practice, dividing her robe to the left and right, kneeling first on her left knee, and then on her right. Resting on her haunches, she placed her hands flat on her upper thighs, back straight as a rod, ready to listen to whatever the Dian had to say. Though by the timid way she preformed the formal sitting posture, it was obvious to Haru that she knew what she had done wrong.

He sighed tiredly, looking at the Acolyte, his charge, with a faint trace of pride. He'd taken her on because she'd seemed a bright and eager child, ready to learn. However, at the death of her mother, Rai no longer smiled as much, she no longer relished the different oppertunities and experiences that training had to offer. Instead, all Haru could see was a girl obsessed with bettering herself, throwing herself into training to block out the grief. While he had no doubt that such a girl, if properly trained in the way of the Shinya, would be a good protector of Lhavit, Haru still missed the little girl that had so excitedly joined the Order. The days of Rai being the naughty trickster, and Haru her gruff Sponsor were over.

"Do you know why I wished to speak with you?" he asked gently, inclining his head towards her left hand.

She looked him straight in the eyes, as polite and proud as Haru knew she was. Rai would not back down from a challenge, not if she ever had something to say about it.

"Yes, Dian. I do."
Raiyari
Duty and Honor

Words: 48701
Joined roleplay: February 10th, 2011, 10:49 am
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Raiyari on February 14th, 2011, 1:33 pm

Haru nodded again. Good, she admited it. Perhaps not with humility, as the Acolytes were taught, but a certain sense of honor that made her tell him the truth. That would have to change, but for now, he could settle for that.

"Give me your hand, Raiyari. Your left one," Dian Haru held out his hands before her, rough and calloused. Without question, his student placed her left hand in both of his. It was small and pale in comparison, and he could feel the beginnings of callouses on her skin.

"You have avoided picking things up with your left hand for a while now, ever since Midwinter." Haru's eyes rarely missed anything, let alone the actions of the child he was responsible for. "Why is this?"

The thirteen year old bit her lip, knowing that she had to admit using Projection without Shinya supervision. Rai didn't want to say it out loud, but sooner or later, Haru would wring it out of her.

"I reattatched my hand improperly after Projecting it, Dian. I cannot control my pinkie finger anymore," She replied evenly, though her already pale face grew whiter. It was obvious she was trying to control her fear at admitting this. For all Rai knew, her infraction could get her kicked out of the Acolytes.

"And why did you not tell myself, or another Shinya immediately?" The Dian's voice took on a questioning air, becoming less gentle. There was something she wasn't telling him, and if he was to teach her the way of the Shinya, he needed to know what was wrong.

"I used Projection... without supervision. I was locked in and there was no key and no one was in the house I had to do something!" At her last sentence, she broke down and rambled, trying desperately to explain herself. But as she did so, Rai realized that it was useless, no matter the reason. "I'm sorry Dian, I made a mistake."

"We all make mistakes, Raiyari," Hatu sighed. "It just so happens that your mistake, while grave, is not as terrible as it could have been. I will teach you in more detail, the process of Projection. This will not happen again, understood?" Raiyari nodded. "We start now."
Raiyari
Duty and Honor

Character sheet

Postby Raiyari on February 15th, 2011, 10:10 am

"Now, what can you tell me about what you already know of Projection?" asked Hatu, settling himself back in a more comfortable position.

"I know that it uses the outer layer of our soul, separating it from our bodies and controling it with our minds. It leaves that body part unable to function while its astral counterpart is no longer within us," Rai answered. She didn't really understand many of the other details, so she simply stated what little she did understand.

"Yes, that is correct," nodded the Dian. "The astral body, the layer we utilize when Projecting, is the only layer of the soul that can interact with the physical world. It will be invisible to the normal eye, though those with other magics might have the power to see it.

"You must understand, Raiyari, that Projecting is not taught here without undue reason. But it is still a dangerous art, not a toy you can play with. Concequences for abusing it can be staggering. While your finger might seem a big deal to you now, if you had pushed yourself farther, death would be very likely. Or even worse, you could be transformed into an undead being. Magic is not something that you can experiment with at this level, Raiyari. You must be careful and vigilant at all times. Do you understand?"

"Yes Dian, I do," she nodded, not having moved from her original kneeling position to something more comfortable. It helped her focus, tricked her mind into thinking that she had to be ready for training. Sitting in the typical meditation posture simply relaxed her, not leaving her mind as sharp as she'd like.

"Good, you learn quickly Raiyari." Dian Haru grave her a rare compliment, combined with a small smile. His heart sank as she simply nodded her thanks, leaning forwards in a seated bow. He firmly believed that, for all the training, children should be children. Training did not change that, only time could. But she no longer acted like the trickster she once was, and no amount of his smiling could change that.

"Now, let us practice some Projection. I will guide you through it, so do not fear the loss of anymore limbs. Perhaps one-on-one training will help your understanding better than a larger class would. Are you ready to begin?" Haru asked, turning the conversation back to its original course. He almost let out a sigh when Raiyari simply nodded again. Perhaps once she was feeling more in control, this attitude would stop. It was hurting her as much as those around her.
Raiyari
Duty and Honor

Character sheet

Postby Raiyari on February 16th, 2011, 11:02 am

Haru did not make her shift her position. The Dian thought that different students required different teaching techniques, since all children could not possibly learn the same way. He knew that Rai was far more focused when kneeling as if awaiting her turn at kenjutsu practice, rather than cross-legged and trying to meditate.

"First, you must detach your astral hand from your current body, allowing your mind to only control that part of your soul, rather than flesh and blood. Slowly dislodge it, starting from the larger joints which in this case would be your wrist, and moving onto the extremities: your fingers. I've seen that you wring your hands when doing this, does this help you focus on sliding that layer off?" asked Haru, who had seen the Acolyte do this many times during lessons.

"Yes, Dian, it helps me think that I'm shedding that layer, wiping it off as one would with water," Rai answered, her color rising slightly. The girl was a bit embarrassed that her mentor paid that close attention to her, especially during magic lessons, the very classes in which she tried to melt into the background. Obviously that wasn't working.

"Good, an idea like that should help you greatly. Sometimes it is difficult for the mind to grasp such abstract ideas, and force it to do as we wish. Now, try removing the astral body from your left hand. Do it carefully and slowly, take your time. It was the fact that you rushed in and out that cost you your finger. Be calm, steady yourself. When you are ready, proceed. I will guide you when you've separated your astral hand from your physical one."

Raiyari bit her lip in concentration, and focused on the wrist of her left hand. In her mind's eye, she could see the swirling bits of light that made up her Djed, and the purest source of that in her body: her soul. Though it was probably only a flight of a young girl's fancy, intended to give her mind something to focus on, it worked very well with Rai. She was no mage, she wanted to fight things she could see, that she could touch. Imagining that she could see such things allowed her mind to better grasp the concept of Projection. She knew that one day, she'd have to discard such crutches, things that only a common warrior would use. The path of the warrior was not the only part to being a Shinya. As much as the magic confused and terrified her, Rai knew that she had to embrace that aspect of herself, the part that reveled in accomplishing tasks with Projection. Only then, could she truly have finished the training to be Shinya. But that day was years away, and such thoughts shouldn't be pondered at the moment.

As if nervous, she held the wrist of her left hand tightly in the grip of her right. As the Acolyte slowly began peeling off the astral layer, her hand right hand moved farther down, as if she were wringing a piece of wet cloth. First, the wrist. The swirling astral layer came off, though it took much coaxing, leaving that part of her hand numb.

Then the knuckles were freed from the astral body's control, and an odd numb sensation filled where they should have been. The girl's mind moved on, starting on her fingers. After many minutes, in which the astral layer had been painstakingly and meticulously dislodged from each digit, her entire hand was without any form of control. Like a puppet with its strings snipped, her small hand fell into her lap, and she was no longer able to feel it.

"Dian, what do I do now?"
Raiyari
Duty and Honor

Character sheet

Postby Raiyari on February 16th, 2011, 11:24 am

"You have control over your astral hand? Good. Now," He held up his hand, palm flat, as if he were pressing it against an invisible wall between them. "Hit my hand, or punch, if you'd rather. Don't worry, you won't be able to hit very hard at this point. I just want you to understand that Projection has more uses than simply moving things about. In a pinch, it can be a very useful tool or weapon. But for now, simply try and strike my hand." Haru waited patiently, not moving an inch as he waited for his student to try.

Rai stared at him for a moment, shocked. Projection... as a weapon? She'd never thought of it like that before. Weapons were sharp, forged of metals, wielded by the physical body. But to think that she could use her magic as a weapon? It was almost a revolutionary thought to her. Perhaps this magic stuff wasn't as bad as she'd been thinking.

The Acolyte directed her astral hand forwards, her Sponsor was only a few hand-widths away from her, so it didn't take much time. Tentatively, she pushed against his hand, somehow feeling the small touch connect, but seeing no evidence of it since Dian Haru's hand did not falter.

"Again."

Surprised, Rai's eyebrows rose. She knew her Sponsor was tough, old man as he was, but he was a Shinya first and foremost. But she'd expected to move his hand back a couple of centimeters, at least. The girl pushed again, harder this time, as one would in a practice session of unarmed combat with a younger student. Though her inexperience in Projection would've softened the blow, it should still have been sufficient enough to cause some reaction.

It wasn't. The Dian simply sat there, a patient smile on his features. He knew that she was trying not to hurt him, and therein lay the problem. For as long as she softened her blows, Rai would never learn. Learning required stretching oneself to one's limits, to try their hardest at the task at hand. Simply pushing at his palm was not the best she could do, and Haru knew this. She'd have to learn, sooner or later.

"Again."
Raiyari
Duty and Honor

Character sheet

Postby Raiyari on February 16th, 2011, 12:13 pm

The Acolyte started to grow frustrated. How were these blows having no effect? She was sure that they connected with Dian's hand, but he never showed any sign of that. His hand was still raised in front of her, as if awaiting the first hit. A hit that had already come and gone, but with no results whatsoever.

She narrowed her eyes, drawing the astral hand back, and then sending it speeding forwards, whacking it into Dian Haru's hand. Not with any intent to hurt badly, still pulling back enough at the last moment to make sure that she didn't accidentally hurt her sponsor. It was the kind of blow she traded with her partners at practice, one that would make someone wince, but not gasp in pain.

To no effect.

Oh, she knew that something was happening. As Haru knew her, she'd known him long enough to be able to read a few expressions off his face. Amusement was definitely one of them. Though he seemed to be patiently awaiting some sort of hit, as if expecting something from the way she had started to get frustrated, amusement was twinkling in those black eyes of his. Yes, he definetly felt the hits, but was making sure not to move.

This only frustrated her more, and her eyes narrowed even more, turning into black slits. She growled a kiai out loud, and slammed the fist of her astral hand into his physical one. There were no reservations, nothing in her hit that had been pulled back at the very last second. Rai was more than a bit pissed off that, for all her kenjutsu training, she couldn't even make him move his hand.

But to her great surprise, the blow pushed his hand back. Albeit only a few centimeters, but still: Dian's hand had moved. At this, he simply smiled, withdrew his hand, and returned it back to his lap, resting it comfortably on his leg.

"Good, you did not pull back that time. You had nothing that kept you from striking, and striking out with both your body and mind. That is enough for today, now we must focus on returning your astral hand back to your body."
Raiyari
Duty and Honor

Character sheet

Postby Raiyari on February 17th, 2011, 1:04 pm

What? That had been the purpose? To teach her not to restrain herself, even on the off chance that she might hurt her teacher? The young girl raised one eyebrow skeptically at Dian Haru, her confusion only multiplying as he laughed at her expression.

"Yes, the purpose is often hidden and unthought of, is it not? Now, we must focus on returning your hand to your body, before you start overgiving. It was overgiving that led to the loss of your finger, and I assume you do not want a repeat of that experience?" asked Haru, his mirth disappearing as his face changed into a serious and more teacher-like mask. Rai shook her head, wiping her silly expression off her face to show Dian that she was ready. "Good. Now, we begin by bringing your astral hand back to its place, and 'gluing' it back to the hand. The safest way to do this is in reverse of the detaching, which means you'll be starting at your fingertips, and ending at the wrist. You may start when you are ready."

Raiyari brought her astral hand back towards her body. It was an odd sensation. Not exactly like directing the ghostly limb, but not exactly like how one would normally move their hand. It was something in between, an difficult feeling to understand. She couldn't act like it was attached to the rest of her body, so in a sense, she did have to direct its movements. Yet, it wasn't just a tool floating in the air, it was part of her. This all was very confusing, and she shortly told herself to forget about it, and just concentrate on reattaching her hand.

Carefully, she put her right hand back on her numb left one, squeezing it tightly at her fingertips, and slowly moving up towards her wrist. At the same time, Rai focused her mind on coaxing the limb back to its rightful spot. Slowly, a tingling feeling appeared in her fingertips, growing as she moved farther up her hand. They twitched a bit, unused to suddenly being put back into their physical body, after floating around invisibly.

It took several minutes, but after a while, the young girl had finished reattaching her hand. It was hard work, harder than she'd expected. Rai had assumed that mages didn't need much strength, after all, they simply utilized their Djed and minds, what could be exhausting about that? Now she understood completely. It had left her feeling entirely drained, and she had to force herself not to let her eyelids droop. Sleep had never sounded as enticing as it had right at this very moment.
Raiyari
Duty and Honor

Character sheet

Postby Raiyari on February 17th, 2011, 1:22 pm

"We've finished here, I take it you've learned your lessons? Both of them?" asked Dian Haru, trying to be cryptic and sound serious. In truth, he was rather proud of the Acolyte, in that she'd learned so much so quickly.

"Yes Dian," nodded Raiyari. When he gestured towards the door, the girl did a quick sitting bow, bending forwards from her kneeling position and placing her index fingers and thumbs touching to form a triangle. She really had no idea how one would bow usually, Rai just followed the etiquette of kenjutsu, since she didn't know what else to do. Haru simply sighed and smiled, nodding towards the girl. She needed to laugh and play, not lose fingers to Projection and spend her time practicing at kenjutsu. But he had no say in that, because what Shinya could tell his student to go and be merry? That was an order not even the Gods could give, and expect true feelings of happiness. She needed to appreciate life, to appreciate what Zintila had given them, not to rush through it.

The girl rose to her feet, giving her Sponsor a respectful nod, and walked calmly towards the door with singleminded purpose. To get the hell out of there, and make it through the rest of the day.

Haru sat there for a few more minutes, before rising as well. He pitied whoever earned that girl's spite, for though she might be young, he knew she'd fight tooth and nail to come out on top. That wasn't to say she had great skill, but the youngling possessed a fiery determination that she often hid within a respectful exterior. Sighing again, the old Sponsor exited the room, wondering what else this mentoring job had in store for him.

[End]

Raiyari
Duty and Honor

Character sheet

Postby Ophelia on February 18th, 2011, 12:33 am

Thread Award. ‎‎<3

EXPERIENCE.
‎+4 Projection

LORES.
Being in Trouble and Knowing it
Kneeling Like a Warrior
Admitting Secrets
Correcting Mistakes
Responsible Use of Magic ‎
Sliding Layers Off
Magic as a weapon

ADDITIONAL NOTES.
You did it. You can now get rid of your required Shinya countdown! Have fun and I cannot wait to see your Shinya adventures (and hopefully take part in them!)

Don't hesitate to pm me with questions, queries, or anything else!

Love,‎
Ophelia <3
Ophelia
Just A Fool's Hope

Words: 97802
Joined roleplay: January 10th, 2011, 12:40 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook