[Flashback] Scout's honor (solo)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The fortified mountain city of the Isur. [Lore]

Postby Vimos Stonejaw on March 8th, 2011, 6:12 am

14th day of fall, 499AV

Vimos snapped suddenly out of sleep, the small amount he had gotten. Stretching, he stepped onto the cool stone floor of the soilders barracks, mostly empty now, the other soilders having been folded into their respective units. Today he would hopefully join his unit of choice, the illustrious scouts. Easily one of the most respected and toughest units, they worked year round in teams of 3 to 6 Isur, protecting the mountain roads and the earliest warning they had to attack. Trained in intelligence gathering, stealth, camoflauge, and other skills, by the end of training even the lowest of scouts could hide from large groups, kill from almost any range and survive out in the wilderness for weeks on end.

He pulled himself up off the small, sturdy wooden cot and gathered his clothing. Vimos warmed water in a stone basin built into the wall. Sighing contentedly, he washed his hair and face. Afterword, he tied up his hair with a simple green cloth. After a small breakfast, Vimos pulled on his soft leather boots and dagger, then started off to the training arena.

Just outside the arena Vimos ran into Tenna, another scout applicant. "Ah Vimos. You ready for this. I think your first." she greeted him warmly, offering her hand to shake. "Am I? I hadn't heard. I'm as ready as I can be." They shook, and Vimos opened the thick wooden door. Standing aside, he let Tenna by first. He followed behind, the door closing with an ominous thump.

The training arena's, there being several of them, were large rooms used mostly for weapon training and occasianally the scout trials. Each arena was about 60 ft around, circular and brightly lit. On the west wall was a small set of stands, while the other walls had weapon racks built in holding everything from crossbows, hand axes, shield all the way up to heavy two handed war hammers. The floor had about an inch of sand, to keep trainees from being seriously injured.

"Line up trainees." Vimos along with 6 other Isur quickly lined up in front of an older Isur, with short red hair and a deep emerald arm. Clasping his hands behind his back, he addressed the group. "My name is Triocolos, leader of the scout divisions." Gesturing to the stands, he continued. "The men over there are the captains of each unit. Their names are not importent, unless you are accepted. You are here because you applied, but also because you all showed considerable skill in all areas. Atlas, come here. Out from beside the stands a large shape moved. Triocolos smiled slightly. Slowly, but with purpose a huge Isur walked into the light. A couple of the others gasped or took a step back. "Vimos, your first. Come meet Atlas." Vimos stepped foward, offering his hand. Atlas engulfed Vimos's hand with his own. Easily 6 ft tall, Atlas was the biggest Isur he'd ever seen. "Remove your hair tie, shirt, and boots. Your to fight. Use anything you wish. If you can win, you will officially be a scout.While, you can use weapons, no lethal strikes. Everyone else, to the stands." Triocolos left them facing each other in the center of the room.
Vimos Stonejaw
never respected always forgotten

Words: 7516
Joined roleplay: March 5th, 2011, 7:42 am
Race: Isur

Postby Vimos Stonejaw on March 8th, 2011, 8:19 am

Vimos stepped back and looked his enemy up and down. Around 6 ft he was an imposing sight. His arm was midnight blue and he grinned like a shark. A large warhammer was slung across his back. "Whenever your ready." Triocolos called to them. At that, Vimos dropped into a crouch and launched himself at the giant. His shoulder hit the man in the stomach and he felt him slide back maybe an inch. He must weigh 300 lbs. Vimos thought. Suddenly he felt pressure on his arm and was sent flying through the air. He crashed into the sand hard, landing on his back.

"Make me proud son. Don't give up." Vimos sat up, shaking his head. "Dad?" He could have sworn his father was there. "Giving up already?" Triocolos called out. "Shyk no." Vimos stood up, cracking his knuckles. Atlas drew the hammer in reply.

Vimos charged at giant, covering the distance quickly. As soon as he was in range Atlas swung horizontally. Suddenly his target disappered, the hammer missing by a hair. Atlas looked down in time to see Vimos slide between his legs. Vimos wrapped his arms around his opponents legs as he slid by, pulling him off balanc. Atlas dropped the hammer and flung his arms out, catching himself before he fell. Vimos looked up, amazed that Atlas had caught himself. Suddenly he was on the recieving end of a thunderous back kick.

For the second time in ten minutes, Vimos picked himself up off the sandy floor. Taking a step back, he found himself against a wall. Looking left there was only a couple training dummies."Useless." He grumbled, looking at the quickly charging Atlas. On his right was a rack of bows. Picking up a long bow and several arrows, he started toward the giant. Atlas growled and swung at the smaller Isur. Sidestepping, the punch grazed him. Vimos pivoted and sent a kick at the giant's knee. Atlas winced and almost fell. Vimos took his chance, stepping back and nocked an arrow. He let fly as Atlas turned, the arrow plinkining off his jeweled arm. Vimos quickly fired again. With a fleshy thwock the second arrow stuck into his shin. Atlas growled and bent down to yank the arrow out, silvery blood running freely from the wound. The two circled each other slowly. Atlas smiled in his sharky way and walked to a rack of longswords. Vimos firex his final arrow, makin Atlas jerk back. The Isur rose an eyebrow and picked up a sword.

Vimos threw the bow aside and started toward Atlas. Drawing his dagger he roared and ran full speed across the sand. Atlas roared back and whipping the sword around, held his arms wide, The universal sign for come get me.
Vimos Stonejaw

Postby Vimos Stonejaw on March 8th, 2011, 10:18 am

Sand kicking up behind him, Vimos ran at the giant. Once he was in range Vimos suddenly jumped, planting his feet hard into Atlas's chest. Amazingly Atlas was thrown back into the wall behind him. Landing in a sitting position, his head smacked the wall, dazing him. Vimos thumped onto the ground hard, knocking the wind out of him. Tottally worth it he thought.

Both Isur got slowly to their feet. Atlas held the sword at in front of him, wary of another surprise kick. Vimos stepped toward him carefully. It was easy to see both were running out of steam. Suddenly Atlas pivoted on his heel, spinning full circle to bring the blade at Vimos with more power. Vimos quickly put the dagger up, the sword bouncing off the flat side. Vimos stepped into his opponents guard slashing Atlas in the shoulder. Suddenly Atlas punched Vimos, throwing him back and off his feet. Atlas stepped up and swung the blade down. Vimos threw his jeweled arm up.

Vimos was suddenly filled with fiery pain, his entire body feeling as if he were being skinned. Pictures flashed through his head. His brother. His childhood home. Mother picking herbs, healing the wounded and sick, holding him close on bad days. Father at the forge, haggling with customers. Milani, his first girlfriend. The day he joined the military. Many others flew through his head as well.

Vimos was on the ground, screaming. A peircing, gutteral almost animal sound. Atlas back away slowly. The sword had broken his jeweled flesh. Wedged into his arm, it had hit bone. His crystaline skin had cracked. And Vimos screamed.

Triocolos quickly stood, moving to the two Isur. The screams slowed, after a time they stopped. Vimos opened his eyes. The pain still there, ripping into him. Slowly he got to his feet, and looked at the sword. Gritting his teeth, Vimos put his hand against the blade and pushed. Fresh blood ran across the sword as it cut into his hand. Excruciatingly slow, the blade started to move. Each little bit put fresh waves of pain through him. Finnally it fell free. He closed his eyes, calming his nerves.

"Let's finish this. No more weapons." Atlas wasn't sure he heard Vimos correctly. Vimos sheathed his dagger, put his fist up and stepped foward. Atlas was hesitant until the first punch, a quick strike to the gut. Atlas swung back, catching Vimos in the jaw. The two fought hard, trading punches, kicks and parries for a short time.

Slowly Atlas started to lose steam. His punches were weaker, his dodges fewer. Finally he dropped his arms. In a voice rough as gravel grinding on steel Atlas said "Finish it brother. I can take no more. I'm 183 years of age. Out of all my years there have been few battles that would measure to this one. Please I beg you grant me a swift death. I'm sorry for what i've done to you and I pray Izurden you heal quickly. Now brother. Please. " The old Isur looked sadly upon Vimos's arm, tears leaking from his eyes. Vimos clasped his hand, and drew his dagger. "I bear you no ill will. May you join Izurden's forge in the skies honored Brother." At this Vimos quickly pressed the blade into his Brother's heart, granting him the swift death he asked. He slowly lowered Atlas onto the floor.

A hand softly laid upon his shoulder. "Once your ready, a spot in the scouts is open Brother. Did he tell you he was the first scout?" Triocolos asked him. "When I joined he was my squad leader. Probly the best there was too. He was about your size before. He only grew that way after recovering from a particularly nasty fight. We happened acrossed a small group of assasins, one who was a magic user. We won but Atlas almost died fighting the magics. When he recovered he was ike that. All strength no stealth. He wouldn't give up helping the scouts though. Fighting newcomers was actually his idea. Anyway, let's get you healed up."

Tenna help him to the healers, talking almost nonstop of how good he did. Once there the healers shooed her out, setting him on a cot. He fell asleep wishing he could have known the original scout better.
Vimos Stonejaw