Necromancy, Maybe.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the first step to starting a lore article. Please hold all conversations about lores here in this forum. No development takes place here ie Article posting. This forum is simply for threads that want to hash out what a lore should or shouldn't include as well as its merits and flaws. One can also gauge interest in new lore here as well. Polls are encouraged.

Moderator: Scribes

Necromancy, Maybe.

Postby Josh Caudle on January 15th, 2010, 3:01 pm

I know i prolly annoying alot of y'all but im sorry for it. I have alot of ideas, and never have a chance to tell them. Could Necromancy be an acceptble skill in mizahar, I mean would the magic mechanics allow it.

For those who do know what Necromancy is, well its the magical art of summoning spirts and the undead to do your will. Commen types of summons our ghouls, skeletons, golems(which i know are used in another magic), demons, and others. would this skill work
Josh Caudle
Player

Words: 3227
Joined roleplay: December 6th, 2009, 8:28 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Re: Necromancy, Maybe.

Postby Gossamer on January 15th, 2010, 8:06 pm

We already have the magic of Spiritism, and between the Nuit race, golem making, and animation we really have a the ability to already play with dead things and skeletons. I do not think necromancy fits in our game world. Others might disagree, and if that's the case I'll bow to the majority, but at this stage, it would be repetitive and useless.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Re: Necromancy, Maybe.

Postby Tarot on January 15th, 2010, 8:45 pm

Necromancy is one of those things, alongside elves, dwarves and elementals, that I wanted to avoid in Mizahar for several reasons, but especially because it tends to encompass so many things. Undead, spirits, demons, death, negativity, pain, and anything dark. Our skills are quite narrow in comparison, though the XP system makes it easier to advance in several skills at the same time.

That said, you can replicate some effects of necromancy in our magic system, at least visually.

Spiritism, as Goss said, lets you fight and use ghosts to your advantage, as well as other undead at high levels.

Animation animates non-living things. It is generally used to make golems, though it works on bodies just fine. In fact, the earliest Animators mainly worked on corpses, which led to a lot of social stigma against them before it turned into an accepted discipline. Many Animators won't animate corpses these days, though some still do. If you want golems with joints, bodies are a valid choice. They are NOT animated by spirits, though. They are closer to Artificial Intelligences.

Animation can also bind souls to objects at Master level - that's how the Nuit undead came to be.

Note: there is no spirit world in Mizahar. There are no 'hells', either, though some gods can definitely have monstrous minions that would look demonic indeed.

I actually have plans for a Summonable alien world with a ghoul-like disease agent that warps life.

So, as you can see, you can do Necromancer-like things... just not with "Necromancy".
Tarot's thread tickets: sold out. Not accepting any more threads for the time being unless I promised you one. Sorry for the inconvenience!
Tarot
May you live in interesting times

Words: 766317
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:29 pm
Blog: View Blog (11)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Being Tarot Award (1)
O RLY Decoration (1)