All Within Our Stride (SOLO)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Not found on any map, Endrykas is a large migrating tent city wherein the horseclans of Cyphrus gather to trade and exchange information. [Lore]

Moderator: Gossamer

Postby Khiara on April 2nd, 2011, 11:35 pm

16th Day of Summer, midday

"The water is wide, I can't cross over.
And neither I have wings to fly.
Give me a boat that can carry two,
And both shall row - my love and I.

Now love is gentle, and love is kind.
The softest snow, when first it's new.
But love grows old, and waxes cold
And melts away like morning frost."

Khiara sang the tradional song of her people softly as she walked towards the stream, bright sunlight showering down on her like some loving mother and warm breeze tugging at strands of hair that had come loose from her braids. She wore her grey dress with saphiree belt, material sheer and light swayed around her knees and her feet walked unbooted across the grass. It wasn't far from Endrykas to the stream, and the way was marked as safe.

Reaching the bank, she knelt down to lower the waterskin she had draped across her shoulder. Popping out the cork, she lowered the opening into the cool clear water to fill it, still singing.

"There is a ship, she sails the sea
She's loaded deep as deep can be.
But not as deep as the love I'm in,
I know not how I sink or swim.

The water is wide, I can't cross over.
And neither I have wings to fly.
Give me a boat that can carry two,
And both shall row - my love and I.
And both shall row - my love and I."

Glancing up across the stream, the young vantha held her breath. Standing in the swaying golden grasses was a horse, staring back at her. Gently, the wind blew across the plain. Khiara could feel her heart in her ears, captivated by the deep brown gaze across the water. The beautiful creature was a strider, wild and untamed. It's mane was dark brown, almost black with streaks of grey and chestnut through out. It's coat was a rich golden color, marked along the spine by a dark dorsal stripe and darkened lower legs. The horse stood still, staring as much as the girl, seperated from each other by the small stream.

"Goddess bless..." She whispered, violet eyes unable to leave the horses. It was unlike anything she had felt before. The raven haired girl dared not to move, lest she scared the beautiful creature. Softly, the strider nickered moving foward slowly to drink from the stream. Khiara watched, marvelled at the brilliance of the equine, elegant in the smallest of movements.

It was then she heard the sound. The squawk that sent all blood cold and dropped the waterskin into the stream. Khiara jumped up with panic, her eyes now golden as the sun shining down up on the earth. Her breathing increased as she watched the grass colored head of a glass beak raise up from the grass only a few paces away from her. It's wicked beak gleamed in the glare of day and its beady eye narrowed as it spotted her. A juvinile, but not a hatching, the bird was alone. But it wouldn't be for long. Lifting its head, the vile creature made an awful sound before beginning a steady jog towards the girl. Khiara picked up her feet and ran, knowing she couldn't beat it, couldn't hope to get away. Behind her it followed, feet tearing up the ground.

Last edited by Khiara on July 2nd, 2011, 10:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Khiara
Player

Words: 166009
Joined roleplay: March 9th, 2010, 12:44 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Medals: 1
Artist (1)

Postby Khiara on July 2nd, 2011, 1:37 am

It all happened so fast, Khiara didn't even see half of it. She felt herself stumble, and as she went down she rolled, eyes wide in terror and tears on her cheeks. Goddess, this is how it ends? Raising her arms in a futile effort to save herself, the vantha screamed as the bird came at her. A sudden bulk blocked her view of the bird, and the sound of a horse screaming. Rearing before the juvenile predator.

"Vsenri!" Khiara screamed, it had to be. He must have heard her, seen her. Through the tears, and her arms, all the girl could see was dust and grass. It was bigger than the bird, and with a sqwak the glassbeak stopped. It hissed at the horse, who screamed again and reared, kicking out with sharp hooves. Scrambling to get up, the young woman could finally see. It wasn't Vsenri. It was the strider from across the stream. Snorting, ears flat to its skull, the strider stood between the woman and the glassbeak. Angrily the bird hissed again, snapping its beak at the horse. Without falter, the golden creature turned, kicking out with powerful hind legs. The kick caught the bird across the head, shattering its beak and dropping it. Dead, unconcious...Khiara didn't want to stick around to find out. She moved to run, stumbling again as her ankle burned with pain. Looking up, she realised it was too far from the city - tents only visible as small peaks over the grass. She'd never make it back before the rest of the birds reached them.

There was a nicker, a soft concerned sound, and a nudge on her back. Turning around, Khiara stared at the strider. It snorted and nudged her again. Did it want her too-

Another sqwak, further away but definitly headed in their direction broke her sudden amazement. Taking a second to hold onto the dark mane of the strider, Khiara lept up onto the beautiful horse and held on. Like a lighting bolt, the strider took off into a full gallop with the vantha wrapping her arms around the horses neck for dear life. The wind screamed in her ears - or maybe it was her own voice - and the grass whipped at her bare legs. Golden eyes watched the scenery whizz by faster than had ever seen in her life. On they rode, hooves thundering across the dry earth. Chancing a look at Endrykas, Khiara could scarely believe they could be so close. Around them, the screaches of the glassbeaks had faded, territorial chirrps and screams declaring their discovery of the broken juvenile. But they were gone now, lost in the grass and the dust left by the striders hooves.

As they rode through the entrance to the city, Khiara could see the faces of people zooming by - surprized and concerned. The horse didn't stop, breathing hard and muscles working. Through the main markets they ran, Khiara closing her eyes as they smashed past a stall headlong into a wagon of furs. This was going to be disasterous. But then they were flying, soaring over the cart to land with a rough bump on the other side. Forcing her eyes open, the vantha could only hold on as the horse ran. Past the Emerald pavillion, the Diamond...and straight past the Saphirre.

"Stop stop!" She cried, unsure what else to do. Would the strider run till it sucombed to fatigue? The coral was coming up, and if they went past it, they would run clean out the other side of the city back into the grasslands. Sitting up, she whistled. A white stallion lifted its head, watching her approach on the strider. He whinned, racing to the fence of the coral and clearing it with a clumsy jump. The frostmarsh's bulk blocked the striders path, and he reared in challenge. Khiara was his master, his only companion. She was everything to the horse, and he would not see the strider take her.

With a scream, the strider pulled short, stomping and tossing her head. Khiara felt herself nearly tossed from its back as the ride ended abruptly. Quite suddenly, it was quiet. The two horses faced each other, breathing hard and snorting. Khiara breathed just as hard, her hands shaking. Slowly, she slid off the strider, keeping her hands on its thick mane. Vsenri nickered, but he didn't come closer. Beneath her hands, the strider trembled, looking at the girl. Those eyes, Khiara couldn't look away. The horse had saved her. There was no doubt of that.

Slowly, the vantha reached up to stroke the soft muzzle of the strider, feeling a deep connection between herself and the creature. A mare, beautiful and wild like the grassland itself. She could almost hear the striders thoughts, and her eyes shifted to their usual violet as she held the quiet moment with the mare.

"Syna must have breathed life into you himself, and given you wings that I cannot see." Nickering, the mare moved to nibble on the girls fingers, before slowly pulling away. She walked towards Vsenri, who snorted and flicked his ears nervously. The mare whinned, approaching him without fear or threat. She allowed him to smell her, and in their own horsey way, communicate that all was well. Vsenri nickered, and with a breath of relief Khiara moved towards the stallion and the strider, limping heavily. Goddess if her ankle wasn't broken it was damn well sprained. Touching the white cheek of her frostmarch, Khiara smiled at him and spoke in vani.

"You are forever my love, my friend. Thankyou for stopping her." Watching the strider, the vantha wondered why she didn't leave. Again, the mare nickered at her, tail swishing. Khiara tilted her head, smiling.

"And thankyou for saving my life. I owe you a debt I could never repay. I only hope I can honour you, if you'll accept me." There was a feeling inside, an opening up. Around her, the air buzzed. It felt alive. Khiara could sense her strider, she could sense Vanator, Kashik...it was like she could reach out and touch them. Breathing a soft exclimation in vani, the woman felt tears in her eyes. The mare nickered again, and Khiara knew her. Knew her name.

"Adelita."

Khiara
Player

Words: 166009
Joined roleplay: March 9th, 2010, 12:44 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Medals: 1
Artist (1)

Postby Lariat on July 17th, 2011, 9:46 pm

Khiara

Experience:
Singing: 1
Riding (Horse): 1

Lores:

Narrow Escape
Close save from beloved friend
Love at first sight
Bonded (Adelita)

Thoughts: Good job on the thread, if you have any questions or think I missed something shoot me a pm.
Lariat
The light in the back of your mind

Words: 151849
Joined roleplay: June 4th, 2011, 3:20 am
Race: Staff account
Office