(SOLO)Rite of Passage

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

(SOLO)Rite of Passage

Postby Felakal on April 6th, 2011, 9:25 am

Day 4 of Spring, 511 AV.

Felakal slept silently on the hard floor of the sandy cave. Dark memories raced through his mind. Tossing and turning, he was reliving that terrible night.

Shouts and loud crashes came from the other room. Unsure of what was happening, the 16 year old alkalak grabbed his wooden Lakan and quietly crept down the hall. A loud grunt silenced the commotion, followed by two loud thuds that sent shivers through both his dream self, and the sleeping Felakal. Opening the door slowly, the scent of blood quickly filled his nostrils. Opening it the rest of the way, he could see the shadows of two bodies on the floor. The room was pitch-black, but being an alkalak, he recognized his father next to a stranger. Quickly running to his father Feishkal's side.

The young Felakal knelt down, as his father turned his head towards him. "Felakal, my boy. I'm sorry I won't be able to be there for your Rite of Passage." He coughed up a lot of blood, most of witch, fell back down to his face. "You'll need to take care of Naturii for me. Can you do that?" Felakal's eyes were pouring with salty tears. His father was going to die, but his son was just a boy. He nodded. "Yes father." Was his reply.

Feishkal coughed again. "Your mother is already gone. She died in her sleep." Felakal looked to his side to see the beautiful young Naturii head bowed. Even though she was an eagle, he swore that he saw a tear fall off her beak. Her talons were dripping with blood. She had tried to help Felakal's father. "Please son. Don't stop your training. Your an excellent fighter and an even better hunter." Feishkal looked to the dead murderer.

Felakal only saw a shadow. Not in the sense that it was hard to see, but that the killer was blocked out of his memory. Felakal's father looked back to his son. "There's something you should know. I'm a -" A shrill eagle cry drowned out his father's words. "Continue my legacy."

Another shrill cry awoke Felakal. Naturii stood above him perched on a boulder. She tilted her head in a very cute manner, which was very unlike her strong attitude. "Morning already?" Felakal groaned, then rolled over. "Wake me when the sun rises." He began to drift back into sleep.

An ear piercing cry echoed off the cave walls, causing Felakal's horse Kanaar to whinnie in frustration.Felakal sat up. "Alright! Alright!" He pulled off his blanket and got out of his bedroll. Stretching a bit he looked back to Naturii. She continued to gaze straight into him. He smiled at her, gave a low whistle and a slight nod of his head. Allowing her to hunt. His father had taught the eagle at a young age much training, including that she would never hunt or eat without permission.

He turned to see Kanaar already eating some grass sprouting out of the sand. Felakal sighed. "You could use with a bit of training too ya know." Kanaar turned his head to look at Felakal, still chewing. He gave a loud snort and continued to eat. "Typical. I had to choose a Gilding Horse." He smiled and brushed Kanaar's mane. After a few minutes, he walked out to the beach and watched the sunrise.

After the sun finally began to rise, he let out a sigh. "It's finally time. I wish you were here father." A loud screech filled the morning air as Naturii landed atop a log that had drifted ashore, with a large rodent in her claws. Felakal smiled again. "Enjoy your breakfast."

Felakal packed his bag up with his belongings and headed out of the cave, Kanaar's rein in-hand. He gave Naturii three sharp whistles, signaling to her that she was free to roam the sky. Taking a small mountain path, him and his companion climbed up the mountain towards the city limits of Riverfall.
Last edited by Felakal on April 6th, 2011, 9:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Felakal
"Death... is only the beginning."

Words: 45668
Joined roleplay: April 4th, 2011, 7:20 am
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Scrapbook

(SOLO)Rite of Passage

Postby Felakal on April 6th, 2011, 7:18 pm

After a long climb up the mountain side, him and Kanaar began padding through the streets of Riverfall. Felakal could sense Naturii high in the sky, far above him.

People gave Felakal strange looks but he continued to look forward, once in a while returning someone a glare. Felakal didn't talk to many, he became an outcast after he left the city limits as a child. He could only blame himself really, everyone in Riverfall tried to help him after his parents died. But Felakal turned everyone down.

Felakal watched children playing and sparring with one another. He past shop upon shop. As him and Kanaar walked in front of the library he paused. He had spent much of his time there, studying along with his physical training.

Once he past the separate buildings and stares of the people, Felakal watched as two figures walked up to him. Both Akalak. One, the city's most honored blacksmith, his near-black skin stood out in the morning light. The other, an old friend of Felakal's father. "Good, your here." The the blacksmith said in a low voice. "Tie up your horse and hurry along." The blacksmith quickly turned his back and walked back inside of his forge, disappearing into the shadows.

The older akalak continued to watch Felakal. "I know we've barely spoken since your father's death -" Felakal glared at Sschkanok. "Murder." He growled in a statement as he tied Kanaar to a post. "Since my father's murder." Sschkanok licked his lips and looked down, only to return the gaze to Felakal. "Right. Well since he isn't here, I want to honor his death by taking his place for today."

Felakal shoved his way past Sschkanok. "No one can take his place." He turned around when he reached the doorway. "No. I made it this far on my own. I intend to finish it the same way." Without waiting for a responce, he followed the blacksmith's path into the darkness. Moving past tools and tables, he began his descent downstairs. It almost had a dungeon feel to it.

After what seemed like an eternity, Felakal found himself in a large, brightly lit, forge. The blacksmith, whose name Felakal did not know, stood above red-hot tools and metal. He wore thick gloves and a face mask for protection. As Felakal neared the blacksmith and forge, the blacksmith spoke. "Felakal. As Riverfall's elder blacksmith, it is my duty to guide you through your Rite of Passage into Adulthood. Your soul will become part of your Lakan. I will guide you, but you yourself must forge this blade. Are you ready to begin?"
Last edited by Felakal on April 6th, 2011, 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Felakal

Character sheet
Scrapbook

(SOLO)Rite of Passage

Postby Felakal on April 6th, 2011, 8:25 pm

Felakal inhaled deeply, his nostrils were filled with the scents of hot metal and dirt. "Yes." He walked over to the Blacksmith. He gestured to a piece of metal on the forge, red-hot from the hot flame and coals. "This piece of metal, will become your Lakan and companion and ally. It will become part of who you are. Do you have your wooden Lakan?"

Felakal drew his wooden Lakan. "It never leaves my side." The blacksmith nodded. "Good. Now drop it into the furnace." Felakal's eyes widened in shock, his grip on his Lakan tightened. "What?!! I've had this since I could walk!"

The blacksmith nodded again. "Exactly. That lakan is the closest item to your soul. From it's ashes, it's spirit will become one with the metal you will forge. It will make it easier for your soul to become part of the new Lakan." Felakal looked down at his wooden blade.

"But... This is one of my only things I have left from my boyhood." The blacksmith looked directly at him as Felakal spoke. "Felakal. I knew your father. I understand how difficult this is. Every Akalak must go through it. However, you must choose. Do you wish to perform your rite of manhood? Or do you wish to stay a boy in the eyes of Riverfall forever?"

Felakal took another deep breath and closed his eyes. The only sound were the crackling coals in the fiery furnace. He nodded and opened his eyes after a long pause. "Ok." His hand was held over the furnace, Lakan in-hand. Shakily, he finally managed to drop his beloved Lakan into the fire. Instant flames sprouted forth, quickly destroying it.

"Good. Now take those gloves and use the tools you wish to use. Remember, only you can decide how to shape your Lakan. It will come from your heart and soul." Felakal quickly slid on some gloves and grabbed the hot metal. Sliding it into place on a special table, he grabbed a chisel and hammer and began his work.

Hours seemed to go by as sweat dripped from Felakal's head, and he had barely gotten a rough draft shape to the blade. Having to constantly return it to the forge to reheat, he would also work on a smaller piece of metal for the handle and hilt. Using a hammer, he flattens the metal into a near-edge and tip of the Lakan.

After nearly a full day's work, Felakal puts together the pieces and forges them all together. After cooling, he uses a foot-pedaled grinder to sharpen the blade. He then takes polish for the handle, hilt, and blade. The blacksmith continued to stare and observe Felakal during the whole process. Felakal looked at his new Lakan and drifted into bliss. He felt complete, at he closed his eyes and held his new blade.

"That is the completion of the ceremony." The blacksmith stated. "Your soul is imbued into your Lakan." Felakal looked to the much older Akalak. "It is a fine blade. Few can craft such a Lakan." Felakal smiled then looked back down to his Lakan. "You must now complete your rite of passage. Whether in a hunting party or on your own, you must go on a Zith hunt and bring the skull back to prove yourself."

Felakal stood up. "Where will I find a Zith?" Him and the blacksmith walked out of the building into the blinding sunlight. It looked like half the city was watching, wanting to see the outcast return from the dark depths of the blacksmith's forge. Felakal slid his Lakan into it's sheath as the blacksmith answered.

"We have heard rumors of several Zith's in the sea of grass." The blacksmith said without much thought. "The sea of grass?" Felakal asked, almost frozen. The sea of grass was overflowing with snakes and serpents. Which made up his one and only fear.

"Yes, the sea of grass." The blacksmith untied Kanaar and handed Felakal the reigns as he hopped atop his horse. The sun was beginning to set. No more words were said, him and Kanaar began trotting down the city streets again.
Felakal

Character sheet
Scrapbook

(SOLO)Rite of Passage

Postby Felakal on April 6th, 2011, 11:25 pm

As the gates opened for Felakal, he rode Kanaar across the bridge without speaking to the gaurds. As he neared the tall grass he stopped. For a while he just stared out at the sea of grass as the sun set further. It was near nightfall.

Taking a deep breath, they began their walk through the sea of grass. Felakal was frightened. He tried to just think about something else. He wasn't afraid of a Zith attack, but every rustle of grass he heard, he thought it was a snake. Which it probably was.

Stopping Kanaar when the sun left the sky, he pulled out his rope and cut off a foot-long piece and tied his hands together behind his back, Lakan in-hand. He didn't know if this would work, but as he told Kanaar to walk and they returned to their walk, Felakal swore he could hear the quiet beating of wings.

Kanaar began to sprint without command. Then Felakal saw a large shadow fall on him and his horse. He could hear the quick-paced pounding of wings and heavy breathing. Cutting the rope, taking away the easy-prey look, he spun around right as a female Zith grabbed him and lifted him off of Kanaar.

His horse cried in despair but before they rose not ten feet, Felakal plunged his Lakan into one of the Zith's wings. They quickly plunged back to the ground, the female bellowing in pain. They both hit the ground painfully, Felakal rolling off to the side, only to be attacked again by a furious Zith. Her claws and teeth flashing.

Felakal slashed with his new blade and nicked her arm, managing to get back to a standing position, in a fighting stance. The Zith snarled then tried to fly, but just fell back down on her damaged wing, hurting her more. Felakal acted quickly and lunged for her.

The Zith swiftly spun around and cut into Felakal's armor straight into his flesh, knocking him down. With his back turned, the female Zith went for a blow to the back of the neck. But right then, a battle filled screech filled the night sky as Naturii slashed her talons across the Zith's back. Felakal didn't even know Naturii was near. She wasn't a night hunter. She must have been watching out for Felakal.

Taking his oportunity as the Zith turned in fury, Felakal ran straight for her and plowed the blade straight through her back into her heart. Her cry was cut short as she was struck. Felakal quickly withdrew the Lakan and cut her throat.
As her body dropped he knew how lucky he was. If Naturii hadn't acted on her own will, he would be dead.

Suddenly, there was a low, furious bellow. Followed by the beating of wings. Another Zith plowed into Felakal knocking him to the earth. The Zith went for Kanaar, who began running again. As he witnessed the Zith close in on one of Felakal's only friends his head seemed to explode. Pain was everywhere. Unable to cope, he fell to his knees. His darker soul, Morgah, was surfacing.

What seemed like an eternity, was actually just a split second. Morgah dropped his Lakan and ran straight after the Zith and Kanaar. Bellowing in rage.

The Zith grabbed Kanaar, who cried in terror. Morgah didn't slow down. He wasn't able to catch them but he kept sprinting. There was another screech. Naturii lunged for the Zith, cutting his shoulder. He dropped Kanaar who somehow managed to land safely. The Zith fell for a short period then regained balance and, seeing Morgah, dove straight for him.

Morgah leaped into the air as Morgah came for him. He drove his shoulder straight into the Zith's throat. As they both landed on the ground, the Zith fell back a bit, allowing Morgah to drive his elbow straight down onto the Zith's freshly cut shoulder. Knocking him to his knees. He then plowed his knee straight into the Zith's chest, and although it knocked the wind out of him, the Zith managed to sink his fangs into Morgah's thigh.

Unnoticed of the pain, Morgah thirsted for the battle. He was thrown over the Zith's head as the Zith fell. Although badly wounded, the Zith flew straight at Morgah who turned around just in time to catch the claws into his side.

Using an elbow to separate them, Morgah flew a punch directly into the Zith's jaw, knocking him back. Grabbing his shoulder and delivering a kick into his side, Morgah sent the Zith flying to the dirt. Then acting quickly jumped into the air and landed with his boot directly on the Zith's neck.
Felakal

Character sheet
Scrapbook

(SOLO)Rite of Passage

Postby Felakal on April 7th, 2011, 4:16 am

A loud crack filled the air as Morgah snapped the Zith's neck. However he wasn't finished. Bellowing in fury, but with sorrow in his eyes, Morgah picked up the dead Zith and threw it into the ground. He then began to beat it's lifeless body nonstop.

The familiar screech of Naturii came again as she flew straight at Morgah, continueing to flap as she stopped dead in from of him. Furious, he looked up to attack whatever had came near him, his pain-filled eyes locked with that of Naturii and for a split second, they shared the memory of when Felakal was a boy. Morgah then blacked out and fell to the ground as the subconscious of Felakal began to take control.

Felakal awoke early next morning extremely sore. Groaning, his head was splitting with a massive headache. As he slowly began to rise into a crouching position, he heard it. The sound never in his life had he heard, yet knew what it was. He heard a loud, agitated rattle. His eyes darted to the side and saw the unmistakable shape of a curled up rattlesnake. Obviously angry about the sudden movement.

Felakal was petrified to his core. Every instinct told him to run, but he was too frightened too. Which was probably a good thing. Felakal slowly began to rise, but the rattler struck.

For the second time during the hunt, Naturii saved him. In a split second she dropped out of the sky and closed her talons around the body of the snake. She must have been watching, waiting for him to wake up. Felakal wasn't sure where she went but she came back, landing on a rock, with talons empty.

"Thank you Naturii. You've saved both me and Kanaar." He spent the next few minutes searching for his fallen Lakan. It didn't take long, it seemed drawn to him. He then walked to both corpses and removed their heads.

Felakal placed both heads inside of a saddle bag of Kanaar and mounted on top of him. Giving a whistle and a nod of the head, he signaled Naturii to go hunt for herself. And without a noise, other than her flapping wings, she disappeared into the sky. Felakal then removed two Zith claws, one from each fallen Zith. Afterwords he spent a few hours silently trotting towards the city of Riverfall.

After reaching the gates and exchanging a few words with the guards, Felakal rode into town, straight for the the blacksmith's forge. Again, the children and people gathered to watch as Felakal returned. Eager to learn if the outcast had succeeded in his Rite of Manhood.

The blacksmith was waiting outside his home before Felakal got there, arms crossed. "Well?" Was all he said to the akalak riding the horse. Felakal silently got off his mount and opened his saddlebag. Grabbing both by the hair, he tossed both heads to the blacksmith's feet. Looking down, he smiled, then met Felakal's gaze. "Your hunt only called for one skull."

Felakal nodded. The blacksmith looked to the onlookers. "Congratulations, you Felakal, son of Feishkal and Shila, you have completed your Rite of Manhood." Felakal received no recognition from the town, as he expected such. He returned to getting atop of Kanaar and left towards the beach.
Felakal

Character sheet
Scrapbook

(SOLO)Rite of Passage

Postby Baku on April 13th, 2011, 10:21 pm

Thou has written, and thou has completed, so I award thee the following....

Felakal: +4 Observation, +3 Rhetoric, +1 Blacksmithing, +1 Tactics, +1 Lakan, +2 Hand to Hand, +2 Riding

Lore: The Past Haunting One’s Dreams, Violence of the Past, Missing Those Lost on Eventful Days, Introverted Natures, Preparations for Rite of Manhood, The Importance of the Akalak Lakan, Parting With Sentimental Objects, Setting Out to Become a Man, Anxiety in the Hunt, Things That Flap in the Night, Luring the Prey In, Animal Companions Unseen, Rising From Defeat out of Opportunity, A Second Foe, The Rise of Morgah, Savage Battles, Extinguishing the Rage Through Violence, Beating a Dead Zith, The Friends Who Bring You Back, Morning After Pains, Snake Phobia, A Guardian Eagle, Returning Home, Right of Manhood Completed

Additional Notes: A little past tragedy to drive one forward, and a bloody battle to show what almost all Akalak must eventually go through. A good tale for one of the newest Akalak on the block. Well done.

~Not all dreams, are meant to be had.

Baku
Dream Eater

Words: 151190
Joined roleplay: September 19th, 2010, 4:28 am
Race: Staff account
Office